Perfectly Dysfunctional

002

I still remember how awkward I felt when I sent John that first text message, I didn’t know whether to say ‘hey’ or ‘hi’ or just straight away get to what was really on my mind “Why did you give me your phone number?”. That night I ended up texting John, and he ended up asking me to come back to the city, which I agreed with and I said I would only come if he brought Stephen so I could bring Jess. Well that’s what he though, the truth was Jess stole my phone and forced me to text him that.

We had just finished watching half of the cab’s set and we all felt like it was time for us to take the crowded train ride home, and it was a long one. We were about half an hour away from reaching our destination and Jess tapped me on the shoulder “Texted John yet?” she asked,
I shook my head and pulled out the piece of paper and stared at it again it was probably the 100th time I had done this, and just stared at the black writing, and rubbed it with my thumb and then stared at my phone. I didn’t know what to do; this seemed too fake to be real.

Jess snatched the piece of paper from my hands and my phone.
“Hey!” I screamed making Rachel look up from her iPod and watch us wrestle until I finally gave in, and watched Jess laugh at me and start to text John.

“Dear John” yelled Jess “It was great meeting you today; I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in Australia, can’t wait until you come back. Lots of love Katy”.
I watched as she pressed send, and gave me back my phone “It wasn’t that hard was it?” she asked,
I rolled my eyes and went to put my phone back in my pocket, until I felt it vibrate, I thought it was a text from my mother, but when I looked at it, I noticed it was from John.
I was shocked at how quickly he had replied to me.
“It was nice meeting you too,
Catch up tonight? X”

I stared down at my phone and flashed my phone towards Jess, who just stared at in disbelief.
Rachel then looked at it “You aren’t making me walk home by myself are you?” asked Rachel.
I shook my head “Pretty sure if I am not going out, we aren’t going in dirty disgusting gig clothes” I said,
Jess nodded with agreement “Wait so you’re going? Asked Jess,
“We” I corrected her “I’m not going alone”
“Girl I love you… but I’m not third wheeling with you” said Jess,
I sighed “Fine I won’t go” I said,
Jess shook her head “I will go if Stephen goes” she said with a grin and winked at me.
I sighed and texted John,
“I can catch up tonight if you want, on one condition you bring your
Brother. X”

Whenever John and I mention the first time we texted we both said what a stupid idea it was bringing Stephen that night. Stephen and Jess together were like a nuclear bomb, and once the relationship started nowhere was safe with their PDA it was horrible. But I love Jess like a sister and of course Stephen like a brother, and now he was going to be my brother in law.

Jess smiled at the thought of being around Stephen Gomez where there was no table in between them like at the Soundwave signing. I just groaned at the thought of her kidnapping him or something, but if it meant that I had someone with me if things between John and I got awkward then it was worth it.

--

Jess and I were on a train again back to the city and I was dressed just in a plain dress from cotton on and Jess was the same but a different dress obviously.
I was sweating in my hands and I was confused at the time, why was John Gomez wanting to hang out with me, he didn’t even know me. All I said to him was where the signing tent was, maybe he was just thanking me for helping him, or he was just meeting up with lots of girls and hoping to tune one.
I shook the idea out of my head and stared out the train window, and watched as it went past all the platforms and the lights flashed by so quickly along with the cars, until I heard the announcement
“Now arriving at Flinders Street”

We walked off the train and outside the station and stood around and waited for a while,
I started getting worried that we were getting stood up, and so did Jess.
Until we heard two voices from behind us, I turned around and saw John and Stephen.
The first thing that went through my mind was how cute John looked, and then if I should hug him or just awkwardly wave. I had no idea… so I just stared at him and waved and avoided the hug.
Stephen and Jess hugged awkwardly, and then Stephen walked over and hugged me.
Great Katy you hug his brother but not him.

--

Jess and I ended up giving John and Stephen a tour of Melbourne, and showing them where lots of music venues and clubs were and of course every McDonald’s.
John and I ended up sitting at the playground behind Federation square and talking while we watched Jess and Stephen being immature and play the ground is lava.
John smiled and laughed,
I turned to him “What’s so funny?” I asked,
John laughed again “It’s just I’ve never seen my brother Stephen… act like a crazy kid, until he came to Australia” explained John “But right now is he’s happiest”.
I watched as Jess pushed Stephen off one of the logs and onto the bark and then Stephen grabbed her leg and pulled her down, I laughed and saw the way they looked at each other.
They looked cute but deep down I was thinking “Please don’t rape him”.
“Jess brings the fun side in everyone…there’s been so many things I have only done because of her influence” I explained.
“Like what?” asked John.
“Well when I first met her up in Sydney we decided to go find the Sydney Harbour Bridge… well we couldn’t find it…. but we still had fun. Also she has made me start to bag out band guys, especially this band called Because they can, about their terrible song rain” I explained.
“I bet it’s not that bad” laughed John.
I laughed at him “No it’s seriously bad… it makes She’s got the rhythm sound like Nirvana its that bad” I laughed… then I realized what I had just said. I slapped my forehead and then looked at John who was laughing, I sighed I was safe on that one… I hope.
“So do you like Australia?” I asked awkwardly.
“Yeah I do… I don’t want this soundwave tour to end, it will be really depressing” answered John,
I nodded “Well you should come back for a holiday” I said,
John nodded “Stephen was talking about coming back to Sydney for a week after Soundwave finishes, it would be pretty cool” explained John.
I fake smiled and nodded with agreement not knowing what to say. I wish he said he loved Melbourne, and was coming back here. Apart of me wanted him to stay forever, but I had no idea whether that was the fan girl side of me, or the real crush inside of me.

I sighed and looked around and noticed that Stephen and Jess were gone. I jumped up quickly “Where did the other two go?” I asked and looked around the playground,
John stood up and looked around with me and then we saw two figures standing beside the river looking like they were going to jump in.
“JESS DON’T IT’S DISGUSTING IN THERE” I shouted,
“STEPHEN YOU LOSER” shouted John after him.
We both looked at each other and laughed at the way we felt like we were mother and father of those two. Even though Stephen was older than me and John but it still felt like that.
I pulled out my phone and looked at the time, and then I looked away sadly.
“What’s wrong?” asked John,
“Jess and I have to leave soon” I said.
John nodded and didn’t say anything.
I climbed off the playground “Jess come on let’s go” I yelled.
I looked around and couldn’t find her again, and then turned around to see her and Stephen rolling around in the bark. I rolled my eyes “Seriously Jess we need to catch the train” I yelled.
I wasn’t really angry I think I was just frustrated and I didn’t understand why. I was having a good night I guess and didn’t want it to end so quickly, and I just wanted to go home and cry with Jess in bed watching chick flicks or something and forget that this night had ever happened. Even though it was going to be pretty hard.

“We will walk you back” said Stephen quickly running behind Jess as she ran towards me.
“You don’t have to” I said quickly and started walking towards the train station,
“No seriously we want to” said John.
I nodded and smiled “It would be nice” I said.

We walked back towards the train station which was a five minute walk in complete silence and Stephen and John waited on the platform for the train which of course being in Melbourne and all was delayed by at least ten minutes.
I looked over and Jess and Stephen who were trying to punch food out of the vending machine I laughed and turned to John who awkwardly smiled at me.
“I had fun tonight” said John smiling “I hope next time we come back to Australia.. we can hang out again”.
“I would like that” I said smiling.
John nodded and went to say something but his voice was drained out by the train horn.
Great.

We said our goodbyes and Jess slipped Stephen’s number and hugged him goodbye, “Call me” she said and winked before the train doors slammed shut between them. I sighed and looked at John on the other side and he gave me a quick wave goodbye, and then the train left.

Jess and I went and took our seats the train had barely any people on it, except some creepy guy that kept waving at me. I sighed and pulled out my phone and I had a text message.
I opened it up and saw it was from John.

“I miss you already :(“
♠ ♠ ♠
:) x