Perfectly Dysfunctional

004

From day one when Stephen and John had told us that they were staying in Melbourne for a while it was confusing. But it was because the band was taking time apart from being away, and the boys hadn’t seen as much of Melbourne as they wanted to. They wanted to do everything and they loved it here. So Jess would come to mine every weekend and we would hang together and when she was stuck in school she would just meet up with Stephen. Which was cute and when I had any time of uni John and I were hanging out, and that’s when I started falling for him harder and harder, and I was trying to not fall flat on my face.

It was the weekend that was really hot and Jess was staying at mine again and we had decided to take the boys to the beach, the beach we had chosen was St Kilda beach because when we got bored we were able to go to Luna Park, which John and Stephen were confused about what it was until we showed them and of course them being tourists they decided to pose for a photo underneath the big mouth before we go to the beach.

I was currently laying down on a towel in the warm sand next to John who was playing ‘Get to know you game” it was really cute and he was asking really, really, good questions and he was starting to know me more better than everyone else and the weird thing was I was being really open and even telling personal stuff including the stuff about my dad.
“One last question” said John,
I turned to him “And what is that?” I asked,
“Can we…build a sand castle” he asked,
I laughed and stood up “Come on let’s do it” I said and grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet, and that’s when I felt a spark as our hands touched, it went all up in my body and made me tingle and then blush. But John didn’t let go of my hand while we walked towards a nice place of sand and I felt his fingers start to link with mine, but I had a freak out and pulled away.
I didn’t say anything but I just sat down and started digging into the sand, and felt the softness off it and let it slide through my fingers. “Here’s a good spot” I said.
John nodded and sat beside me and we built a massive fort.

Once we were finished we climbed inside and watched over the top as Stephen and Jess swam around in the water jumping all over each other.
“As we watch the wild Stephen Gomez on heat, we notice that he pays more attention to fixing his mane then pulling up his short, it’s sad the stakes this creature will go just to get a mate…what a disgusting man” said John in a sort of animal planet commentary voice.
I laughed really loud and then felt tears come from my eyes from laughing so hard as I watched Stephen and noticed that John was completely right.
“Oh my god” I gasped between laughs.
“It wasn’t that funny” said John,
I kept laughing and couldn’t stop and then took a deep breath “Yes it was” I said and finally stopped laughing.
John laughed and flicked some sand at me and slowly pulled off his shirt “Come on let’s go join them in the water” he said and ran over to our towels and threw his shirt on his towel and ran straight into the water. I sigh and climbed out of the hole fort and walked over to the towels and threw off my top so I was in my bathers and shorts and ran towards the water.

I stopped at the edge and dipped my toes into the small crashing waves and felt the coldness of the water.
“Hurry up Katy and come in” yelled Jess from the water before getting dunked my Stephen.
I shook my head “I think I might sit down” I said and turned around and went to walk back to the towel, I was almost at my towel and then I felt something grab me from around my waist and lift me up over their shoulders, I looked at their face and noticed it was John who started running towards the water.
“JOHN PUT ME DOWN” I screamed and started slapping his back,
John laughed and kept running until he reached the water and then he walked slowly out until he had reached Jess and Stephen and threw me over his shoulder into the deep cold water.
All I could hear was the sound of waves crashing and water being around me. I quickly made my way back up to the surface and splashed John “So not fair” I said.

We all swam around and had fun for a while until we all started to turn into prunes but while we swam around we all played Marco Polo and Stephen decided to undo Jess’s bikini top which he thought was and Jess obviously didn’t because she pushed him under the water and stormed out and sat in the sand and watched as the rest of us swam, and right now we were sitting on the sand watching the sunset and Jess was still giving Stephen the cold shoulder.

John and I laughed and then watched the sun set, it was beautiful and it was perfect, being here with my best friend and these two boys that I felt like I had known for my whole life.
I looked over at Jess and Stephen they were sitting in silence and Stephen was trying to wrap his arm around Jess and pull her closer but she kept slapping his arm away. That’s when I knew she was actually pissed off… because I know that Jess would never reject Stephen for anything she was obsessed with the boy. There were so many phone calls where she would ring me and tell me about how perfect he was.
I turned to John “I think we should go for a walk and leave them two alone” I said.
John nodded with agreement and pulled me to my feet and we walked along in the sand, sat down on the some rocks and still watched the sun.
There was complete silence and I had no idea what to say to him, I wanted him to know that I had never felt so close to anyone in my life, and I was falling for him and I didn’t want him to catch me.

I placed my hand near his and just watched the sun set, and then eventually I felt what I wanted to feel, his hand on the top of mine and he linked his fingers with mine and our hands were holding together tight. There was another awkward silence and then I pulled John off the rocks, “I’m pretty sure Jess and Stephen have sorted it out already” I said.
John nodded and walked slowly behind me not letting go of the grasp he had on my hand.
When we walked back and joined Jess and Stephen they were finally hugging each other which meant they were over what had happened.
I went to my bag and grabbed my jumper and put it on and then grabbed my phone it was around 7 o’clock. I turned to the others “Should we get some dinner?” I asked,
Stephen and John nodded and I turned to Jess “We can get McDonald’s” I added.
Jess nodded happily knowing that she going to be able to get a chicken and cheese burger.
“Can we go to Luna park afterwards?” asked Jess,
Stephen agreed with her and then looked at me and John “Can we?” he asked and gave us puppy dog eyes.
I turned to John “Are you sure you are the younger brother?” I asked.
John nodded “Sadly I am the younger one” he replied.
I sighed and agreed that we could go to Luna park afterwards and we headed to McDonald’s and ate our dinner and it felt like we were on a cute date together, I sat next to John on the comfy chair side and Jess and Stephen sat on the stools, John ran over to the comfy chairs first and screamed “DIBS” I guess it was a American thing.
The whole time I was eating I could feel John’s hand touching my hand that was under the table, I just ignored it because I thought he was just trying to pick at chewing gum from underneath the table.

--

When we were finished with dinner we headed to Luna park and grabbed a wrist band for all the rides and decided that Jess and I were going to stay with John and Stephen tonight in their hotel room, and John said that he would share a bed with Stephen and Jess and I can share John’s bed so it wasn’t awkward. Jess glared at me when she heard this and said “Damn John cock blocking me”.
I laughed at her weirdness and walked around with everyone looking for the first ride to go on.
“I hate rollercoasters” stuttered Stephen.
“Why?” I asked,
“Because I forced him to go on one when we were younger” laughed John.
Stephen glared at him “It’s not funny John” snapped Stephen.
We all laughed except Stephen who acted offended and looked away.
“Well you guys go on the rollercoaster and Stephen and I will go on the ferris wheel” said Jess,
John and I nodded “Sounds good” said John,
“Stephen?” asked Jess waiting for his answer.
Stephen sighed and then nodded “Fine I guess Ferris wheels aren’t as scary as a rollercoaster” said Stephen.
“Unless they get stuck… or they break” teased John.
Stephen death stared him and didn’t say anything and then went to back out, but Jess stopped him.
“It’s okay Stephen if you get scared you can hold my hand” said Jess.
Stephen smiled and walked over to the Ferris wheel and yelled to Jess “COME ON HURRY UP”.
Jess ran over to Stephen and lined up with him, while John and I lined up for the rollercoaster.
“Have you ever been on a rollercoaster?” asked John,
“Yeah I have” I replied.
“Good so you won’t mind if I scream the whole time?” asked John,
I laughed “No I wouldn’t mind that” I replied laughing.

--

We went on all the rides and the mirror maze at least a thousand times and Stephen kept getting lost so we had to get the staff to help find him and they would always find him in a corner fixing his hair or trying to push through one of the mirrors. We were now walking back from the tram stop in Melbourne and eating fairy floss that we had brought from Luna Park and walking back to Stephen and John’s hotel which happened to be the Langham hotel.
“Oh my god it’s the hotel with the poo phone” screamed Jess remembering those terrible days of being a Short Stack fan girl.
Stephen and John gave her a weird look.
“She’s your friend” I laughed and pointed to Stephen.
Stephen laughed and hugged Jess from behind “You’re a weirdo” he said,
John and I stared at them both waiting for one of them to kiss each other but they didn’t.
John and I walked forward and they walked slowly behind us.
“What is going on between those two?” asked John.
“I have no idea” I replied.

I felt my phone start to vibrate and read that the caller I.D was my mum.
I sighed “Sorry I gotta take this” I said.
“it’s okay” said John.
I pressed the answer button and spoke into the speaker:

Hello?
Where are you?
I’m in Melbourne with Jess and Stephen and John.
You need to come home ASAP.
Why?
You need to babysit the younger two.
Okay fine.
Hurry up and come home.
I will be home asap.

When John heard those last 3 words come out of my mouth, I saw the smile on his face drop.
“Do you have to leave?” he asked,
“Sadly yes” I said.
John hugged me tight and then Stephen followed shortly behind him.
“I will come with you” said Jess.
I shook my head “Stay with them, something might happen” I said and gave her a wink.
Jess laughed “Okay I will call you tomorrow” she said and walked away with the boys.
I sighed and started heading towards the train station wondering what sort of night I would of had if I didn’t get that phone call.