‹ Prequel: Into the Night

Out of the Sunlight

The beginning, the middle and the end.

Chris’ hand felt warm in mine, although he did just throw a fireball. The small corpse laid smoking in a small, black crater in the grass. Chris sighed, body now pumping full of energy over the small fire.

“Julia, are you always this scared of rats?” He placed a soft kiss on my temple as I answered.

“Obviously so. We’ve been going out for 10 years, 5 of which we’ve been married for, and you need to ask that?” He repeated his sigh, and grasping my hand took me back to our country home. The outside of it looked like a fairytale, with the thatched roof and lavender-grey coloured stone walls supporting a large, smoke-filled chimney. The inside was even more like a fairytale. The walls were covered in shelves full of books, about magic, creatures of the forest and recipes for home cooking. The furniture was mismatched and second-hand, creating a warm, homely feel. Polished and varnished redwood floors, matched to a dense, rainforest green wallpaper completed the serene setting, and pictures adorning the walls merely added to the atmosphere.

Chris scooped me up, just to carry me over the threshold, into the house, through the kitchen, and into our bedroom. The wooden armoire stood tall against the wall, with its soft coloured wood with swirling grains starkly contrasting the deep brown wood walls. I observed it for a while, until Chris’ lips distracted me with lovemaking.

His body was warm on mine, his naked skin smooth and soft. His hands roamed my body, squeezing, pinching and rubbing in all the right places. His lips traced my jaw, collar and breasts, sending goose bumps and hot flushes all over my body. Slowly, he entered me, allowing small gasps to escape our lips. His movement was slow, and deliberate. His fingers traced my lips, his dignity moving deep inside.

My gasps became low moans; whispers became declarations of his name. Love radiated from him, seeping from his pores. His eyes locked on mine, flowing with desire and love. His speed increased, and my volume rose with it. I grasped his body to mine, clawing his back and shoulders. His breath came out in low growls, while murmuring sweet nothings in my ear. His body clenched, and the speed of his movement became fast and desperate. A warm, tight feeling bloomed in my navel, and my body started to react.

I gripped him tighter, and he moved faster. Suddenly, I saw stars, and his name slipped from my lips in an ear-splitting scream. His body convulsed seconds later, my muscle contractions sent him over the edge. He clung to me, whispering my name and his love, until I fell into a deep sleep.

Later on, after the nap that followed our lovemaking, I got up to make dinner. Deciding to make a roast, I pulled the chicken out of the fridge and begun the preparations that would fill my husband’s belly with a soothing warmth. A boom flicked light over the horizon, so I sent my mind over to see the storm.

There was nothing there.

Confused, I searched harder for the source of the light. Finally, I found it. A small, magical flickering of energy was running amok in the field, playing with the light in the air. I sighed quietly, and went back to dinner.

Chris entered the kitchen the minute I pulled the roast out of the oven. “Did you feel that earlier? That blast of energy?” He was excited. I smiled at him.

“Yes, dinner does smell great.” He smiled sheepishly at my quip. “I felt, and saw the energy. At the moment, it’s harmless.”

“You stretched out and felt it? Are you barking mad?!” I frowned. We sat in silence a while, and I watched his head tick over while he shoved chicken and potatoes into his mouth.

“Chris, are you mad at me? It was merely an assessment. I didn't even find out what particular spirit it was.”

“Did you even think to protect your mind first? What if it was <i>negative</i> energy?”

“Chris, I’m not 17 anymore. I don’t just go out on a limb and do stuff. Of course I placed the shields, I put up the barriers. Its second nature to me, I don’t even need to think about it anymore. I’m not an idiot, you jerk!!” He lowered his head, and stayed quiet. “Oh Chris... I’m sorry.”

No answer.

“Chris?” He stood up, scraped the last piece of chicken in his mouth and put his plate in the sink. I heard the water run, then he passed me and went into our room. The door closed shut behind him. “Chris...” Tears spilled from my eyes, and I left the cottage through the kitchen door. The sky opened up, and the rain washed my tears away. I lowered my head as fresh tears escaped. The door opened behind me, and his warm arms wrapped around me. The heat from his body formed a shield that turned the rain to steam before it could hit me.

“Damn you Chris.” I felt him shrug.

“It’s why you love me.” He was silent again. I sighed deeply.

“Chris, I’m sorry. Please, forgive me?” It was his turn to sigh.

“Of course I forgive you. Sweetheart, I just worry about you. Don’t you understand that?” I nodded. Chris held me tightly, and whispered to me. “I love you.”

I sighed, content once more. “I love you too.”

Weeks passed, and our everyday lifestyle continued. I started to feel funny, and I was always taking naps. We just put it down to the flu.

The light that had appeared on the horizon weeks before appeared again. It was a light blue flash, and it lit the whole field within a 200 metre radius.

Chris grabbed my hand, and we ran towards the light. It became hotter and hotter, and I stayed back in the rain while Chris ran ahead. His thoughts suddenly flew into my mind, so I could see what was going on. I sat on the ground for the full effect. My eyes saw everything he did; my body felt what he felt. He was running faster than I could, the heat comfortable to him. As he neared the light, it consumed the Chris’ vision, making him use other senses to find out the situation. I retracted my senses back to myself, and sent them instead to the energy near our home.

Suddenly, I was so exhausted. I couldn’t even summon the energy to cast my senses in front of me. My shield stayed firm and strong, however, so I used the last of my power to bethink Chris. ‘Baby, my powers have just drained all of a sudden. I’m heading back to the shield over the house. I can’t even cast my senses, and it’s all I can do to keep my shield up.’

<i>‘You okay? Is there someone with you?’ </i>

He sounded confused, so I wearily answered him on the way back to the cottage.

<i>‘No, my love, just I. I’m going to sleep.’</i>

I shut my mind, and trudged towards the bedroom to sleep off the exhaustion sweeping my body.

***

Chris worried about Julia, he sensed someone with her. Nobody else could hear their communication, so she would have told him if someone was with her. It was such a tiny spark though, and his mind boggled at the idea that something so small was with her. The energy in front of him was no more than an Air Sprite playing with a Fire Sprite. He laughed, and played awhile, but tragically informed them his wife was at home, and he needed to be with her. A Water Sprite came from the OtherLand at this point, exciting his companions with his bubbly chatter. The Air Sprite took the news, whatever is was, rather joyously.

<i>‘Wonderful news Chris, we’ll be seeing a lot more of each other from now on. There’s a reason your wife left us suddenly. The second spark you saw?'</i>

Suddenly, it all made sense. The napping, the fact she couldn't stand the smell of red meat suddenly, feeling queasy in the mornings...

<i>‘My wife is pregnant?’</i>

<i>‘Yes, with a spirit akin to mine.’</i> The Air Sprite was bethinking him, <i>‘The child is under the protection of Air Sylphs, from now unto its 12th birthday, human time. In which case, it needs to be well prepared for the world outside. You will do this?’</i> Chris nodded solemnly, he took the responsibility seriously.

<i>‘Do you know the sex? Or is the OtherLand going to keep it a delightful surprise?’</i>

<i>‘The sex is female. Do not be alarmed if the child experiences any unknown floating or opaqueness, as this will be its soul and powers familiarising with each other.’ </i>

Again, Chris nodded. He turned and sped back towards the cottage where his wife and child waited.

Julia’s form lay sleeping on the loveseat in the parlour, and both sparks were shining brightly. He perceived her aura, and the loveliest shade of lilac encompassed her stomach and forehead. Her heart and root shined with red, and blues, gold’s and white covered the remaining area. She was beautiful. Chris looked past her aura, and focussed on his daughter. She was just a small, golden spot in Julia’s navel, but she was just as beautiful as her mother.

***

I opened my eyes to see Chris observing me quietly, the adoration pouring off him in waves. He smiled as he noticed me awake, simply stating, “I have some good news.” I nodded, allowing him to continue. “Well, the source of the energy was 3 sprites from the OtherLand. A Sylph and a Salamander were playing, and then an Undine came and gave the Sylph some news. There’s a new presence with us now, someone I can’t wait to meet.” I frowned. Chris was making a riddle of his news.

“Chris, what on earth are you saying? What presence? I don’t see a presence anywhere.” I opened up my vision to look, but saw none bar Chris’s spark. My vision faltered a little, I was still so exhausted.

“Look down Julia.” I did as I was told, and there, flickering brightly, and surely, was a tiny spark where my womb was. “I- I’m pregnant!” She looked to Chris accusingly. “When did you find out?”

“No less than 5 minutes ago. As soon as I found out, I came straight to you, I swear.” I believed him, of course, but still suspicious. “The only other thing they said before I left was that our child was an Air spirit and that if there’s any invisibility or floating, that it’s normal. And she needs to be trained up for her 12th birthday; because that’s the length of protection they can give.”

“You even know the sex? Oh, well that’s fantastic! What else do you know that I don’t?”

“Julia...”

I was fuming. I was the one carrying the child, and I was the last to know? I stood from the couch and went to our room. Slamming the door closed, I slid down the wall and cried. I felt so bad; Chris was only doing what he was supposed to. I stayed there a while, listening to Chris breathing from the other side of the door. “Julia, I’m sorry.” I opened the door and was immediately ambushed with a hug. “I’m sorry Chris.” I felt him shrug.

“I understand. I know what it’s like to feel like everything knows everything about you but you. My dad knew I was a Fire spirit before I did. I hated that, because he didn’t tell me he knew until just before he died.” I nodded into his chest.

“So our child is an Air Spirit? And she’ll have a guardian?” Chris held me tighter.

“Yeah, until she’s twelve, so she needs to know how to protect herself before then.” Again, I nodded into his chest. His embrace was so comforting to me, I needed to show him. I pulled away gently, and looked into his face. “Chris, I love you. I know that I’m technically pregnant, but I wouldn't know by the normal means for another 4 weeks. So, can we make love to celebrate?” Chris smiled warmly, and folded me back into his embrace, this time giving me a long, deep kiss. I melted into it, happy to just kiss him. Then, another presence stood to attention, and I knew it was high time I paid attention to its needs.

I pulled Chris into our bedroom, and gently shut the door behind me. The clothes I was wearing fell off my body, my nipples catching on my blouse on the way down. Chris’ already erect penis twitched in his jeans, so I knelt down to free it. I slowly unzipped the jeans, and pulled them down. Then, I very gently tugged on his boxers until his penis sprung out. His fingers threaded in my hair, and I looked up to see Chris smiling. “What’s gotten you so happy?” He just shook his head, grinning like an idiot.

“Nothing, I just never recall you being down there before.” It was my turn to grin, before giving it a quick lick and standing up. Chris’ face had transformed into a peaceful bliss. I kissed him again, and pushed him onto the bed. A chuckle escaped his lips as I climbed onto the bed and straddled him. “What’s funny love?”

“You’re dominating me.” I kissed his neck.

“So?” He kissed me back.

“So, you never dominate me.” I nibbled on his ear a little, and whispered into it.

“So, I’ve been saving it for a special occasion. I think this will suffice.” He shuddered under my touch. His skin filled with goose bumps where I touched him. I was gentle at first, I didn’t know what would hurt or what would please, but once I knew...

“Uuuuhhh.... Do that again!” I grinned, and tweaked his nipple again. A louder moan, with a hint of a growl left his lips. While I tweaked his left nipple, I placed my lips over his right. My tongue swirled in ‘8’ and ‘z’ patterns, my teeth grazed and my lips sucked in a storm of pleasure. His body arched into mine, and my hand left his nipple to hold him down.

I moved back to his neck, jaw, ear and lips. He hungrily kissed back, slowly thrusting up to me. “If you don’t stop that, I will leave you like this on the bed.” Body quivering, he lay still, his chest heaving with the exertion of pleasure. Slowly, teasingly, I hovered over him. He started to whimper, and a quick probe into his mind told me the heat from my sweet, pink moistness was radiating to his hips. I lowered myself onto him, allowing him a quick dip before coming up again. He whimpered again, so I lowered myself again, this time staying longer. Finally, after having complete satisfaction over the complete control I had over him, I made sweet, tender, passionate love to Chris.

I started slowly at first, picking up speed when I was up for it. Sometimes, I’d need a breather, so I’d hover over Chris while he thrust upwards into me. Backwards and forwards it went, until I couldn’t hold myself up any longer. He then picked me up, lay me down gently, and made love to me. A little of my energy came back within half an hour, and Chris’ moan of pleasure and surprise meant he was glad I started thrusting up to meet him. For hours, this was what we did.

After a fair few speedy thrusts, some names and declarations of love, Chris and I came together in sweet bliss. He collapsed next to me, and pulled his sweaty body to mine. Suddenly cold, I shivered, and he pulled the blanket over us, before we both fell into a deep sleep.

The months passed by, and I grew fatter. Chris demanded I never say that, as I was swelling up to contain my daughter. We had decided to name her Gaile, a representation of her Air Spirit, but as it was also a modern name, we were happy with it. Lately, she had been kicking softly, and I would sooth her spirit with songs from my childhood. Her sprite would come and visit, having seemingly one-sided conversations with Gaile.

At 7 months, I was the size of a small beach ball, swollen to bursting point. I was seated on the couch, rubbing my swollen navel and cooing to it.

A warm presence entered my mind, small and loving. It filled me slowly, warming my heart with love and eternal loyalty. <i>‘My daughter?’</i>

<i>‘Yes. I love you mommy.’</i> The words were saturated with adoration. This small child worshipped me, and I was upholding a conversation with her. For someone so small, her mind was so big.<i> ‘Do I have a name, mommy?’</i>

<i>‘Of course. Hasn’t your sprite given you a name?’</i> The presence seemed confused for a second, so I sent comfort and hope her way.

<i>‘It has, but it doesn’t sound like a name I’ve heard from you. The sprite calls me ‘Alagalia’, meaning ‘wind of greatness’, but I’ve never heard you say it. Or even think it.’</i>

<i>‘Your chosen name from me and your father is ‘Gaile’. It is a word meaning strong or fierce wind. I think it suited you well.’</i> The presence pondered for a while, considering all she had heard.

<i>‘So what does your name mean? And daddy’s?’</i> At this point, Chris entered the room. He overheard my thoughts to our daughter, so sat next to me to become part of the conversation in our heads.

<i>‘Well, our names weren’t chosen like yours. Julia is just a name for a girl. And Chris is just a name for a boy. But I think Julia is Latin for ‘youthful’ and Chris is Greek for ‘Christ Bearer’ which means he holds the Christ Consciousness in his soul. I’ll teach you when you get older.’</i>

<i>‘I am pretty godly, aren’t I?’</i> The presence was surprised; Chris had never spoken to our daughter before.

<i>‘Daddy? Is that your thoughts? You sound just as perfect as mommy does! I can’t wait to meet you both!’ </i> A wave of sleepiness emanated from the presence inside me.

<i>‘Sleep my daughter; I’ll see you on the other side.’</i> My daughter’s thoughts faded away. Tears rolled down my cheeks, and Chris wiped them away. “I just had an entire conversation with my unborn daughter. Chris, she’s growing up already, and I haven’t even given birth! What are we going to do?” More tears rolled down my face. I quietly sobbed into his chest.

2 months later, I was washing dishes from lunch when a sharp pain cut across my navel. I gasped, and clutched at my stomach. The pain left as quickly as it came. I frowned, and then gasped again as a warm, wetness trickled down my leg. “Chris!” He poked his head around the doorframe. “Chris, dear. I don’t think this puddle is from the washing up...” Chris’ face went deathly pale, before he disappeared. I waddled to the doorframe and watched as Chris flew around the cottage, collecting everything we would need for the hospital. Another pain across my navel brought me to my knees. “Chris, hurry...” A duffel bag was tucked under his arm, and he used the remaining arm to lift me up and help me to our car.

He laid me in the back seat, with a towel and a stress ball. “Now Julia, you only need to hold on 5 minutes, I’ll start the car and transport it and us to the predetermined back road. Okay? Whatever you do, don’t push. We’ll be there soon.” I nodded, gasping for breath. The pain was worse and more frequent now. The car vibrated underneath me, and with a flash, the car was on an abandoned back road near the hospital. Chris hit the pedal, and drove toward the building filled with all the drugs I needed to get rid of the pain in my navel. “Ahh! Chris hurry!!”

A white light filled my vision, and dozens of Air Sprites filled the car, each one blessing our daughter. In my peripheral vision, the hospital came into view. The sprites dispersed as the door opened. An ambulance officer and a stretcher took me to the front desk to check into a pre-booked room. 5 minutes later, I was in a bed with a doctor between my legs. “Well, you’re pretty much ready to push. You’re fully dilated, Julia. On the count of three, push with all your might. 1, 2, 3!”

An ear-piercing scream left my lips as I pushed, the pain was so unbearable. My only thoughts were of my daughter making it safely into the world, and how I was going to kill Chris for putting me through this. “Julia? How are you doing?” Chris was in my ear. I gripped his hand as I stopped pushing for a break. The doctor was assessing the baby.

“Well, dear, if I live through this, you won’t.” I smiled sweetly while my evil husband cowered beside me. He tried to withdraw his hand, but the doctor said push again. So I gripped it harder, and pushed again. I couldn’t think through the pain and noise, though I did hear Chris yelp in pain. Through my squinted eyes, I watched the doctor smile. I stopped pushing for another break. “Don’t you smile, I’ll kick you.” Chris eyed me warily.

“Relax; she’s not the worst I’ve seen. Julia, you’re doing fine. For a first child, this will be a relatively short labour. We’ve only been here 1 hour.” I gaped at him.

“How many times have I pushed this kid?” The doctor held up 9 fingers. “Seriously? They’ve all blended together.” He smiled. I looked to Chris. He kissed my head, and then fled to the other end of the room. “I love you Julia.” I growled, and then screamed as the doctor told me to push again. “Here comes the head, just a little more Julia.”

I stopped momentarily to get my breath, before bearing down for all I was worth. Chris moved over to the doctor, before becoming very pale. I tried very hard not to scream, but I couldn’t hold it in any longer. “Here’s the head. Here she comes! C’mon Julia! Just a little...”

A tiny cry filled my ears. Tears sprung in the doctors eyes. Chris had tears streaming down his face. “Gaile...” He whispered her name with veneration. The doctor handed him a small, crying, bloody bundle of pink mess. “Did you-.” The doctor swallowed, trying not to cry. “Did you want to cut the umbilical cord?” Chris merely nodded. The searing pain had left, replaced with a dull ache. Chris cut the cord carefully, while a nurse dried Gaile off. A small, blanket-wrapped bundle of baby was handed to me.

I lay Gaile carefully on my breast, cooing to her closed eyes. A flicker, and a blink, and I was beholden to the brightest violet eyes I’d ever seen. “Oh... You’re beautiful.” Chris sat gently next to me. I frowned as another contraction seared across my navel. The doctor lifted the afterbirth from the bed. “Ah, can we keep it? We’re going to plant a tree for her.” He nodded, before dropping it into a seal-able bag.

After a sleep for me and Gaile, I fed her from my milk-laden breasts. It was soothing; she didn’t bite or bring pain. It was a soft feeling, like a feather. The doctor came back later to tell us we could go home today. I smiled at him, and stroked my daughter’s dark blonde hair.
Chris carried her to the car, while I hobbled with no assistance.

“Oh Goddess this is sore. No sex forever.” Chris faked a gasp, and laughed at me. “I’m serious. You won’t want me now.”

“In all seriousness, I want you even more after seeing that. I watched you stretched to the limits...’

I growled,

‘...as you brought our combined flesh and blood into the world. You literally moved the earth for me. That is something that I’ll probably never see again, and I’m a whole new man because of it. You reduced me, a grown man, to tears. You brought a life into this world, and I have a new-found respect and love for you.” I watched his aura as he said this, and he was telling the truth. He glowed with silver and violet, red and gold. He was beautiful.

The car trip back was quiet. I sat with Gaile in my arms, observing her peaceful sleep, while Chris drove in quiet thought. I watched my daughter stare up at me, with those intelligent, violet eyes. She became opaque, and slowly faded in and out of my vision. Chris had already warned me, but it didn’t stop a startled gasp escaping my lips. “Even with prior warning, nothing can prepare a mother for an invisible baby.” I looked up at him; he’d said it so perfectly. I nodded silently, and turned back to Gaile.

***

A week later, I almost had a heart attack. “Chris?! Where’s Gaile? She was right here in the crib, and now she’s gone!!” I started to panic, even as he came into the room laughing. He pointed up, and I watched in awe as my daughter drifted down from the ceiling into my waiting arms. A nervous giggle, and a tight cuddle later, my daughter was lightly bound to the cot with a soft cotton shirt tying her ankles and upper torso to the crib. “I can’t believe we need to restrain our daughter so she won’t float away!” Chris chuckled quietly to himself. “It’s not funny!”

“I know. But if I don’t laugh, I’ll go mental.” I nodded in agreement.

***

Years passed, and the floating incidents passed, replaced with trained lessons in flight. We would spend an hour in the garden, floating and playing chase games. Then, acrobatics training in the forest, followed by structured story book study. By the time Gaile was almost 12, she had grown into the perfect little girl.

Smart and quiet, she would sit and read by the fire. Those piercing eyes had gone from bright violet to deep lavender. Her long, dark blonde hair had never been cut, and so hung past her waist in loose waves and curls. She usually looped it up into a bun most days for school. It was my startling pleasure to spend an hour in the tub lathering and rinsing her hair. It was how we bonded. Chris would play intellectual games of hide and seek or treasure hunts to engage her expansive mind.

**

The day before her twelfth birthday found the three of us by the fire reading up on Sprites. A gentle breeze cut through the living room, and Gaile’s Sylph entered the room. My Undine and Chris’ Salamander had been attending to the house’s needs. Spark, the Salamander, was keeping the fire happy in the hearth, and Drip, the Undine, was outside watering the garden with a Gnome. Breeze, the Sylph that had just entered the room, was talking quietly with Gaile. She merely nodded at him, and as I knew they were bethinking each other, I kept out of the conversation.

Chris looked over to me, and reached for my hand. I grasped it tightly; scared for what I knew could be nothing good. The Sylph’s voice filled my head. <i>‘The war you knew was coming is nearly upon us. 2 weeks from now, all the Elemental’s will meet in the middle of the world to fight the unknown force that harms our environment. The war will last an unknown amount of days, so I’d begin with the preparations required to sustain you for a long time.’</i>

<i>‘Oh Goddess... And Gaile is expected to be a part of this war?’ </i>I started to panic.

<i>‘You knew this. Your husband told you. Gaile wanted to be a part of this war before she was even created. Her soul needs this. You must understand that Gaile is the most powerful of her Elemental group. As are you and your husband of your Elemental group. The Earth Spirit, Leaf, is a 170 year old woman, as wise as she is old. She is the fourth of you powerful beings, destined to end the war together with you three. However, you won’t be fighting just yet. I’d recommend you stay off the field for a while.’</i>

<i>‘How long is ‘a while’?’</i>

<i>‘Are you so out of tune with your body that you don’t know? You’re pregnant again.’</i> My mind went into overdrive.

<i>‘Again?’</i>

<i>‘Yes, again, and this time, you are pregnant with a being that has control over all elements on the planet. The only being in existence that has power over Earth, Wind, Water and Fire. And as soon as she is born, she will begin training. All four of you, Chris, Gaile, Alisha, and you, in turn, will teach her all you know. Gaile will go first, as she is the youngest, followed by you, then Chris, then Alisha, until she has gained all your combined knowledge. Then, only then, can you join the fray and finish the war of the world. Gaia will reward you well for saving her.’</i>

<i>‘Gaia?’</i>

<i>‘The Earth’s Spirit name. It is attuned to her soul, and so allows her to function at her full capacity.’ </i>

‘Oh Goddess...’ The Sylph stopped talking to me, and turned his attention to Chris. My Undine felt my panic, so she sat at my feet radiating comfort and love. Gaile had stood up and thrown her hair into a long plait.

“Gaile, honey, what are you doing?” She looked toward me, smiling.

“Just getting ready, mother. We have to go to the markets to get my birthday present, remember?” I merely nodded, and obtained some old jewels from my stash to pay for my daughter’s birthday present. I opened my aural senses, and perceived a speck of gold in my navel, the only indication that there was a life inside me.

“Christopher! I thought I warned you!” He glanced at the Sylph, and I watched in quiet amusement as Chris turned white as a ghost, and started babbling an apology.

“I’ll talk to you when I get home. Do we need anything from the market while I’m down there?” He shook his head, and then turned his attention back to the Sylph.

Gaile and I held hands and teleported behind a tree 2 meters from the stall of Gaile’s choice. She’d chosen a stall full of magical trinkets. She browsed a little while, picking up wands, crystals and other delicate trinkets. She finally settled on an amethyst crystal wand with a mahogany handle, and I traded the 4 garnets and 1 topaz for it. We trailed through the markets awhile, looking at various items that could assist us in the war, and buying a few things for later use.

Finally, we finished, and so Gaile and I travelled back to the tree to head home. Chris hugged Gaile and me as soon as we got home, and with a startling realisation, the house was packed. “Yeah, it’s a shock, isn’t it? Our furniture and any unnecessary items are at our OtherLand house.” I frowned.

“We have a house there now?” He nodded, and took Gaile’s hand as he explained.

“Yeah, they’ve made us a house there to protect the four of us while we wait for Blossom to be born.” I gaped at him in confusion. “Don’t look so vexed, it’s her soul name. If we so choose, we can give her another name. This name just makes her more powerful, as it’s attuned to her soul.” Gaile seemed excited.

“I get to have a sister?” I nodded, smiling at her. She whooped, and floated around the empty space that was our lounge room. I laughed along with her, although on the inside I was freaking out. Our Elemental Sprites appeared suddenly, and without warning we were whisked away to the OtherLand. Once the feeling of being airborne left, I opened my eyes.

The OtherLand was beautiful.

Where the cottage stood, a spitting image of the cottage on Earth, a small stream bordered the east side. A large forest, full of trees I didn’t even know existed anymore, sat in view behind the cottage. The land itself had a slight glow, almost ultra-violet. Gaile was smiling and ran toward the cottage. “I’m home!”

“Gaile, what do you mean? Home is on Earth.” Gaile stopped running and turned back to me.

“Oh mother, you should know that this is where I lived before I had a physical body. The Sylph told you just before we left Gaia. I chose this body, you as parents, to be a part of this war. We four won’t have anything to do with the war until Blossom turns 10. Then, she’ll be at the highest power level, and we can finish it once and for all.” I gaped at her. Hearing that coming from the life I created, the baby I pushed into this world, was hard. Tears rolled down my face, and I felt Chris’ hands on my shoulders. Gaile seemed upset too, but more that she had caused me pain then what she had said.

A middle-aged woman approached us from the forest. “Hello, young Spirits. I am Alisha. Please, don’t be alarmed at the appearance of me. I know I’m much older than I look, but it is more comforting to see this, than the frail body I actually occupy.” Her voice was soft, and light. It carried the wisdom of many years on Earth.

“Hi Alisha!” Gaile had greeted the woman as if she’d known her for the length of her life. I frowned, I felt so lonely all of a sudden. Chris squeezed my shoulders. “Please, come inside the cottage. There is much to discuss while you’re here.”

It was the exact same house that was at home on Earth, but where the fireplace was, instead stood a door. “That leads to Alisha’s room, mother.” I just nodded silently. The cottage looked just the same. Our books were as we left them, the food in the fridge untouched.

But outside was so different. There were different fruits and vegetables in the back garden, different trees, shrubs and flowers. The water glowed with a ultra-violet hue, along with some types of flowers, and a particular fruit in the garden that Alisha called ‘Flame Fruit’. When eaten, the body warmed from the inside out, as though a flame was set in the middle of your body.

After an initial look at the place we would be living in for the next 11 years, it dawned on me.

“These Sprites, the Sylphs, the Undines, the Salamanders and the Gnomes, they’re scared of this war, aren’t they?” Alisha nodded.

“Yes Aqua.” I frowned.

“My name is Julia.” Alisha shook her head slowly, not in a condescending manner, more that she was amused.

“Aqua is your soul-name. I’m not supposed to call you by your Gaia name.” I nodded slowly, understanding what she meant. “My soul name is Leaf, not Alisha.”

“I see. So what is Chris’ soul-name? Flame? Spark?” Leaf laughed softly.

“His name is Blaze. It’s rather masculine, don’t you think?” I smiled warmly. Chris chuckled behind me. Gaile started to giggle, and when I looked at her, she pointed to my stomach.

Chris yelped behind me as I looked down to behold my very pregnant stomach. Alarmed, I looked between the three Spirits. Leaf smiled; a small comfort when I started to feel the contractions. “It’s happening so fast! What’s going on? What’s wrong with my baby?” Leaf placed her hands on my navel. “Please, help her.”

“Relax Aqua. This is completely normal in the OtherLand. The baby needs to be in the environment soon after its soul bonds to its physical body. Relax; the contractions are the only pain you’ll feel. See, the baby is out already, same with the afterbirth.” I looked down in surprise, it was true. My youngest daughter glowed with a golden hue, she looked amazing. Leaf blew, and Blossom was clothed and clean.

She handed her to me, and I took the bundle gently. “Why is she glowing?” I looked to Leaf for answers, but it was Gaile who answered me.

“She glows because of her energy. The glow is the iridescence of the power she has expanding past her physical body. Her skin is golden too, an after-product of the energy she holds. Her hair will be golden and her eyes too. But see these marks here?”

She pointed to a faint, blue pattern on her head and chest. “That tattoo is the entry point for her energies. The minute that is covered, she is weakened. There are armors she can wear that can retain her dignity, but still show the tattoo. Everything will be fine. She’ll live ten Gaia years here, but her age will be that of a young woman.” I resigned myself to the fact that I would never have a say in my family’s lives again.

***

Blossom grew surely as the sun would rise. It was a fast growth. By the time an Earth year had passed, she appeared 3-4 years old. She was tall and thin, almost waif-like, like a model. Her long, blond hair hung to her waist, like Gaile’s. But where Gaile’s hung in loose waves, Blossom’s was straight, like a ruler. By the time Gaile was 20, Blossom had caught up physically. She still glowed golden, and her skin still held the same hue. It had softened, however.

Gaile spent her mornings teaching Blossom the art of Levitation, her afternoons teaching manipulation of her common element, and night-times teaching the theories of any animals, and general history. I spent my mornings, after Gaile had taught all she knew, teaching Blossom Natural Projection, or willing things forth. My afternoons were all about the manipulation of water, and night-times teaching all my theory. Chris taught Teleportation, fire manipulation, and then theory.

Alisha taught Blossom about the trees, and how you didn’t manipulate them like the other elements, as it was the only element that lived. The rest of us knew this, so when Blossom asked me later, I explained that manipulation wasn't about forcefully controlling. The word meant handling the elements, by not abusing the power. Alisha also taught Blossom how to place a mental shield around people she loved to protect them from things they couldn’t see, then, the history of plant life on Gaia and in the OtherLand, when she finally ‘graduated’ from ‘school’.

That day, we started preparations.

We watched as Blossom emerged from the glade she was bathed in for the first time. Her armour shone the same colour as her. It had glistening, silver-tone scales along her upper arms and thighs. It sat low against her breast, showing the glowing blue lines that undulated with light and energy. She looked dangerous, magnificent and deadly.

She was beautiful. And now we were ready.

The five of us stood in a circle, holding hands. We stood in concentration, seeing our Earthly cottage in our minds. The feeling of weightlessness passed over me, and I opened my eyes to see my old home.

It wasn’t the same as I had left it.

The grass was dead and brown, the trees stripped of any life or leaf. There was a fire crackling nearby, but it was the dull green of tainted copper. The water nearby broke my heart. Polluted and festering, it called out to me.

A single tear rolled down my face, as the pain of all the water washed over me. I looked to my daughters, my husband, and my friend. They were all clearly upset, but Blossom was shaking.

At a closer look, I could see she was shaking with rage. I backed up, and motioned the others to do the same. I saw the ball of energy held at her heart.

“Mother? What is this place? It’s dead. You said it was different; you said it was green and bright and blue. The sky is green. You said it was blue. The ground... The water! All of the screaming...”

Blossom’s hands threaded in her hair, clenching and pulling. Trying to get the screams to go away.

“Sweetheart, it did look like that. This is the product of the war. That’s why we’re here, to stop the screaming.” Her eyes, golden amber and topaz, dripped with tears. She looked tortured, as if the screaming was her own. I placed my hand on hers.

“Come on dear, let’s get to work.” The five of us sat at our cardinal points, Blossom in the middle lying down. We prayed to our elemental spirits, asking for assistance in our jobs to save the planet. I was surprised at how many spirits were still hanging around. After thanking them, and setting them their tasks, we set about doing more of the physical work.

I washed away most of the pollution out of the creek, and onto the grass. Chris then set the grass and forest on fire, to help the new growth that Alisha had started to push out of the ground. The fumes from the blazing pollution were swept up into the atmosphere and out into space by Gaile.

Blossom was combining her powers to help the atmosphere. To put the fire out, she created a windy rain storm to push the fire into one place and put it out. To refill the river, she sent a small, controlled flood. She used her power of fire to create a small heat source to light up the valley and speed the growth of the plants. She and Gaile then floated around the valley, pointing out any places we missed.

We spread this positive influence across the continent, fixing all the wrongdoing on the planet. Slowly, Gaia started to reawaken. She sent miracles, like rain in the desert more often than once a year, warmth in the arctic during the summer months, soil worth farming in across all the Third World Countries. She was grateful for the work we were doing.

Her voice would speak to me in my sleep. She would tell me where our influence could be better spent, who the other elementals were. This night was different.

<i>‘Julia... Julia...’</i> Her sweet voice filled my mind.

<i>‘I’m listening Mother Gaia.’</i> She seemed to sigh in relief, something was bothering her.

<i>‘Julia. The negative force you are ridding me of is fighting back. I can feel it in me. It has tainted me, filling me from the inside with its negativity. You must help me. There is a man, with a group of elementals like you. Find them and kill them.’ </i>

<i>‘Kill? Gaia, are you okay? Killing anything does not seem to be in your nature.’</i>

<i>‘I realise this, and I apologise. The taint must be worse than I thought. I must go now, and reserve my strength. Just make sure Blossom leads your party, she’s our only hope.’</i>

Her voice cut out. Something wasn’t right. Gaia wasn’t right.

I went to sleep.

Chris’ arms wrapped tight around me. His sweet breath fanned over my face, and a soft finger swept my hair out of my face. I opened my eyes to behold his. “Today is the day, isn’t it?” He nodded slowly. “Australia is a long way from here.”

“Yes, but I’m not going, am I?” Blossom had just walked into the room. I shook my head.

“Yes, but not all the way. You’re staying in Brisbane while the rest of us go to Uluru.” Her shoulders slumped. “Relax; I’ll call you in when you are needed. And you will be, I promise. You are the key to ending this war.” Blossom smiled.

“I know I am. I’m just upset that we have to weaken them first.”

“Blossom, I won’t risk losing you. I don’t care how old you look, you’re only 10 and I’m your mother.” She just smiled and nodded. Now I was worried.

The journey to Australia was uneventful. We didn't take the plane, I just teleported us all. A tall skyscraper and a muddy brown river came into view. Blossom sighed quietly to herself. “I know how dirty and unnatural it is, but it will keep you hidden. Promise me you won’t leave your hotel room?”

‘I promise. Can I roam the garden there?” This was this part I was worried about.

“Blossom, sweetie, how do you think these people are going to find you? As soon as you touch something natural, like plants in a garden, these people will take you away. So, understand why I just want you meditating in your room. Please, please stay away.” She nodded soberly.

“Okay mother. Go.”

I disappeared.

***

When I reappeared, Uluru was a warzone. Fireballs, floods, cyclones, mudslides, heatwaves, typhoons, twisters and vines were everywhere. I threw myself backwards to dodge a fireball. Chris, Gaile and Alisha jumped into the fray. I turned to the source of the fireball, and saw a small boy, no older than 5. He looked at me curiously. “Are you here to save Gaia, or hurt her?”

“I’m here to help her.” He smiled at me, a big toothy grin. It was swept away with a look of concentration as he hurled a fireball at a man dressed in black. The man screamed as the fire consumed him. The child clapped with glee. I stared at him closely, looking for his aura.

<i>‘Chris, I found the negative influence.’ </i>

The child looked right at me, the smile turning to an evil smirk.

<i>’And he knows that I know it. Find me quick, he’s coming!’ </i>

I backed away from the child, fear gripping my heart. His head cracked from side to side, and then flew at me. I shrieked and ducked, throwing a flood his way. The child cried out, and flailed in midair, before dropping the 10 feet to the arid, red ground.

A sickening snap came from his body, followed by a sob. My heart lurched, and I cursed my mothering instinct as I ran toward the child. “Julia! No!” I turned to Chris just in time to watch him catch a fireball. A wave of rage swept over me as I turned back to the child.

<i>‘Blossom, I need you here now.’ </i>

Within seconds she was at my side. I pinned the child down with watery restraints as I pointed to the child, and Blossom whisked him away to the OtherLand for judgement.

***

As I set the child down, mother’s voice echoed again. <i>‘No compassion, but no ruthlessness either. Be unbiased and fair.’</i>

I looked at him.

“What is your name?” He whimpered. I circled him. I asked again, this time answered in a sob. Again and again I asked. For hours I sat there, asking him questions about his origins, his parents, and his family. Anything that could lead me to something.

Finally, I worked it out.

“You aren’t really a child of 10. You’re at least 40.” The child lost his patience.

“You big mean lady! Of course I’m 10! That’s what you can see, isn’t it?”

“Cut the crap and lose the shroud.” The child frowned, and the image melted and morphed into a middle-aged man. Dark, greasy hair hung limply in front of his eyes. Tanned, dirty skin, covered with dirty clothes.

“You made a mistake, bringing me here. Now that I’ve seen it, I can come here whenever I want.” I smiled, pleased that the effect was working.

“So you think. You’ve been accused of grievous crimes against Gaia. How do you plead?”

“Guilty.”

“You’re aware of the punishment?”

“Well aware.”

“Then I guess you’re banished to the bowels of Density for the rest of your days.”

“So you think.” He smirked. I lowered the shroud. The place he considered the OtherLand, the glowing, celestial landscape melted away to show the red, dry desert on the other side of Uluru.

“What? No! The OtherLand was my key out! No! No! NOO!” He screamed with rage, as he sank through the ground and into Density as I teleported back to mother in time to see the end of the fight.

***

Blossom appeared next to me as we crowded around the last believer. He cowered, but still faced death as his destiny. Chris sent a fireball through his heart, and the light left his eyes and travelled the winds with the embers. Every single one of us felt defeated, even though we had won.

Gaia’s voice raised itself above the sobs and sighs.

<i>‘My warriors, you have done well. I have been rid of the negative forces working against me, and for this I am forever grateful. I will grant each of the Head Spirits one wish.’ </i>

There was a murmur through the crowd.

<i>‘All of my people will be rewarded, nature will always respect you. To those who spent the last 10 years in the OtherLand, gather at the Meeting Place to seek audience with me. May Gaia guide you all.’ </i>

15 people disappeared from the crowd before us. None followed after us. The Meeting Place was a small glade filled with Faeries and Others, Gnomes and Mermaids, and here we gathered, waiting Gaia’s address. ‘My Children, you have done so well. Tell me, what are your hearts desires?’ As people began to mutter amongst themselves, I turned to my family. “Am I the only one who desires the quiet life?” Chris shook his head, along with Gaile and Blossom. “I’m ready to settle down.” Gaile murmured her assent.

“I’d like to look as though I was 10, and age normally.” I smiled, and watched as Blossom transformed into a normal 10 year old girl. Her golden hair turned mousey brown; her eyes turned a bright blue. Her skin turned a healthy pink. She grinned broadly as the glowing blue tattoos disappeared. “Gaia, I hate to say this, but I’d like a son.” I glared at him.

A buzzing noise filled the air. Chris went pale. “Ahh... I see.”

“What?” I grabbed his arm. He murmured something about Gaia being ironic. “She talked to you? What did she say?”

“You’re pregnant again.” I gaped back at him, my breath leaving me for a second. “I didn’t get my wish granted that fast! Can I have my turn now?” I growled.

“Yes, you can. But I’ll do it for you. I wish he was a healthy, happy, smart boy, normal in every genetic aspect. May he have Earthly powers to complete the family’s cycle.” Chris smiled warmly at me. “And I want this pregnancy to go as smoothly as possible. And, I want to go home.” Chris, Gaile and Blossom enveloped me in a hug as we disappeared to our quaint hut by the creek side.

***

The faint pitter patter of Charlie’s tiny feet followed by a small squeal alerted me to his playtime.

Hiding behind the bookshelf, I scooped him up as he came through the doorway, cackling and screaming in delight. I ruffled his blonde locks, and a set of big, blue eyes looked up adoringly.

“Mmmmuum!” I smiled down at him. He knew mum, dad, sissy and Boo, as Blossom had so aptly been named. He hadn’t got his tongue around Gaile yet. “Julia? Where’s Charlie? He hasn’t had his bath yet!”

I frowned, and looked down to the guiltiest looking 2 year old I’d ever seen.

“Dad....mmm...mmmeeeeean...” Chris came in, and upon hearing that plucked Charlie from my arms and proceeded to tickle him all the way to the bath. I followed behind him, commenting slyly about Gaile teaching him new words.

“Next time, you’ll be a meanie-face.” I giggled, even when Chris’ lips covered mine in a soft kiss.

It felt good to be normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry I've been lazy with this. Things have been hectic. Enjoy!