Status: Active

Blood Lines

Ashes to Ashes

It seems only yesterday that I got the call from the hospital telling me that mom was involved in a car accident which took her life.

I sat alone in the house waiting for mom to get home since dad wouldn’t be here until later as usual. I flipped through the channels as I laid there on the couch trying to find something that would peak my interest in watching but nothing was on. I got up from my place on the couch and decided to go ahead and start dinner. I went into the kitchen and looked through the fridge and found some meat so I decided on making a good meatloaf. Mom loves my meatloaf.

After grabbing what I needed, I put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mixed it with my hands. Mom says it’s easier and it get mixed better when using your hands. When everything was mixed good enough to my liking, I rounded it into an oval kind of shape and put the meat mixture into a long glass dish and enclosed it into the oven to cook. I grabbed some potatoes and peeled them before putting them into a pot of water to boil before they could be mashed. I opened the cabinet and got out 2 bowls for some canned vegetables. All I had to do with them is put a little butter in them and pop them into the microwave and they’ll be ready to eat.

I checked the potatoes and they were ready which meant I could drain the water out and start mashing them. I did and added some butter, milk, and some seasoning for taste. I took the meatloaf out of the oven after I finished the potatoes so it could cool before it was ready to eat. I put the bowls of vegetables into the microwave and heated them up as I set the table. I sat everything on the table and sat down waiting for mom to get home. Minutes turned into hours and mom still hadn’t arrived home.

“Where are you mom?” I asked myself out loud and taking a drink of my tea. I picked up my cell and it began to ring but I didn’t recognize the number.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Is this Tracey Burns’ daughter Roxy?”

“Yes. Who is this?” I asked confused.

“My name is Dr. Pierce I found your number in your mother’s phone.”
“Is there something wrong? Did something happen to my mom?” I asked frantically.

“I regret to inform you, that your mother was involved in a serious accident. I’m sorry to say that because of her injuries, she died.”

“She’s what?” I asked shocked.

“She’s died in the accident. I’m very sorry for your loss.”

“I have to thank you for call me…I’ll call the funeral home and they should be over in a matter of minutes.” I said before hanging up the phone before the doctor could even respond. I sighed loudly as I got up from my place at the table and started putting the food I had just cooked into the fridge. I walked out of the kitchen and stopped in the hall as the door swung open.

“I need to talk to your mother. Where is she?”

“She’s on her way to the funeral home.” I said looking at him dead in the eyes.

“Why the hell is she going there?”
“She’s dead. She was involved in a car accident just a few hours ago. I called the funeral home and they went to get her body.” I said letting only a single tear fall from my face.

“I’ll handle everything from here from now on. Hell I really can’t believe you did something right.” He pushed me aside as he went up the stairs and disappearing into his room. I walked into the living room and sitting down on the couch.

How could he stand there and not shed one tear? How could he feel so heartless towards me? All those built up tears flowed heavily down my face like a raging river that’s out of control. I cried so hard as I laid down on the couch that it was putting me to sleep. I closed my eyes not being able to keep them open letting the remaining tears flow down my cheeks before I fell right to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? hopefully this story won't give me any trouble with writer's block