All That We Could Be

Chapter One

Chapter One

“Fallon get up!” Were the words that had been repeating themselves for the last five minutes. Fluctuating in tone and volume as the sound got closer and closer. “Fallon, come on! I can’t be doing this every weekend when you’re supposed to be meeting with Craig. You’re going to be late if you don’t get up NOW!” And then it was quiet. The voice had stopped.

Fallon peered from under her pillow to see if the coast was clear. After seeing that it was, she quickly got up and took her blanket and pillow to the nearby walk-in closet. Closing the door quietly, Fallon had almost settled back into slumber when the light in the closet turned on. “Hiding from someone?” asked the voice. Stunned, Fallon rubbed her eyes. “Cheryl! How’d you get here? How did you know?” Fallon stammered. Fallon stared at the older girl across from her, half hidden in the clothes. Cheryl smiled. “Do you really think I’m that clueless when it comes to knowing your habits?” “I don’t think you’re clueless…I was just hoping you were unobservant about them.” Muttered Fallon, getting up with the air of defeat. “Here put these on. Make sure you’re warm, it’s really cold out. Oh and remember you have to be over the studio in half an hour. Craig said he just needed you’re help finalizing some last minute details with the album. Just one more thing…don’t forget you have a lab due on Wednesday.” Cheryl said, as she threw Fallon some clothes, and marched Fallon out of the closet and into the bathroom. “Yes MOM…I won’t forget.” Fallon said loudly from the closed bathroom. “With you around…how can I forget…” Fallon muttered.

Fallon Lira Stevens was a recording artist. She was twenty years old, and lived with her best friend Cheryl Bennet in a nice house in Manchester, England. Fallon was actually from Canada, where her family still lived, but she had chosen to relocate to England so that she could finish her degree in General Science, and to get her career as a recording artist off the ground. Cheryl was twenty five, and was the heiress to her father’s chain of clubs called ‘Lively!’ The two had become fast friends three years ago, when they met at a library. Fallon was slender like Cheryl but didn’t have the grace that the other girl had. Fallon had auburn hair and hazel eyes, while Cheryl had brown hair and bright green eyes. The two had similar but also different personalities. The only reason Fallon had lasted so long on her own in England was because of Cheryl.

“Cheryl…what do you think they’ll ask me today?” Fallon asked curiously, having changed and coming out of the bathroom. “I have no idea, but last time when you were finalizing, didn’t you pick out your first single and the release dates and stuff.” Cheryl said cautiously. “So Craig didn’t tell you?” Fallon asked. “Nope, not a thing.” Cheryl replied. “Great…so I have to trudge in the cold to my snowy grave?” Fallon asked a tad dramatically. “Yea that’s it…he wouldn’t ask you to finalize the album if he was going to kill you.” Cheryl said. The two ate their breakfast in silence. Fallon finished quickly and grabbed her jacket and car keys. She said good bye to Cheryl and walked quickly out the door.

As Fallon drove to the studio, she couldn’t help but feel apprehension towards what was awaiting for her. As she parked her car into the last remaining parking spot, Fallon took a deep breath and walked inside. “Craig is waiting for you in room two.” Said the receptionist as soon as Fallon had entered. “Thanks.” Mumbled Fallon, as she headed in the direction of the room.

Craig Goldstein was the manager of many talented artists. Yet few who had worked with him were as talented as Fallon. She was something else. Unfortunately he couldn’t figure out why majority of critics hated her while people generally loved her. All three of her previous albums which she had written most of the content on had gone 2xPlatinum. Even when Popjustice.com had predicted her third album to be her last and for it to completely tank…she had still come out the winner.

Fallon walked into the room. “You wanted to see me?” She asked. “Yes, we need to pick a first single from your album. And I wanted to make sure that you were 100 percent sure you wanted to release this album.” Craig asked with a little hesitation. “Why wouldn’t I be sure about this album?” Fallon asked suspiciously. “Well because I’m just surprised that you didn’t release tracks that you had written in the last few months. I hope you’re not giving up.” Craig said quickly. Fallon’s eyes narrowed. She had decided to make this album full of covers of her favorite songs, she needed a break from writing so that she could concentrate on her studies.

“No I’m not giving up!” Fallon started adamantly, “I’m happy with the album, Craig. I just need some time for my studies this year. I want to write my tracks with a more relaxed mind…instead of me trying to meet a deadline.” Fallon said, she smiled. At once the atmosphere had become relaxed. “Alright then, let’s get to work on picking the next single. I have the album cover complete with the sleeve. Let’s pick a date for the single and then you’re going to tell me what your plan is for B-Sides.” The two of them got to work.

Fallon got home around five, she was dead tired. She entered quietly. Under her jacket she had the first single off her upcoming album. “Cheryl?” Fallon asked aloud. “Yea?” The voice was coming from the television room. “Look!” Fallon said hurrying. “What?” Cheryl asked puzzled. Fallon quickly gave her the CD. Cheryl let out a squeal of delight. “You’re releasing that track!” She said as she gave Fallon a hug. “Yea, everyone wanted it just as much as I did for the first single. Plus pretty much all the artists Craig asked for permission said yes.”

Fallon had decided to release Memory Of You which was a Girls Aloud B-Side, as her first single. “Oh and we’re putting The Loving Kind as our B-Side…I thought it would be kind of a joke…plus I really love that song. Oh and I put on another B-side as well…it’s Rachel Stevens’ song Heaven Has To Wait!” She said excitedly. “Wow, that’s amazing. So now the big question is: What is the album title?” Cheryl asked curiously. “’Beneath The Covers.’” Answered Fallon. “Okay…why?” Cheryl couldn’t stop from asking. Fallon stood still for a moment. She thought of how to answer the question. “Well firstly the whole album is just me doing a bunch of covers…but they’re all the songs that I really love. So in a way the listener is getting beneath my skin, getting under my cover.” “Very deep…” Cheryl started to snicker. “Yea…that’s me.” Fallon said with smile. “Okay so why don’t you get started on that lab assignment now?” Cheryl asked. Fallon groaned at the thought, but trudged to her room to start on the awaiting lab.

It was finally Monday. Fallon got up by herself, since she had school. Yet today would be a different kind of school day. Her first single from her album was being released today. Fallon got dressed in a hurry, checked her timetable twice to make sure she knew exactly which classes she had. She grabbed some food on her way out. Cheryl would be leaving around nine to get to her father’s workplace, so Fallon would be driving alone today.

In the car, Fallon started to think about what the critics would say this time and whether the people who had bought her other albums would support her again this time. By the time she reached her university, she had fifteen minutes left before her first class which was cell biology, and she had made herself even more nervous about the single than was good for her. She entered class with a little hesitation. She sat down in her seat and awaited the start of the lecture.

It was lunch time before Fallon had a chance to revisit her fears. Fallon had been kept busy throughout the day. She barely had time to think about the single…until she entered the cafeteria. On the radio was her single. As she quickly walked to an empty table, the song ended. The radio DJ came on. “Well that was the latest one from Fallon. The single has been released today, and the album which is titled ‘Beneath The Covers’ is set to be released February 6th. I must say this track has been a surprise, so go and buy it.”

Fallon couldn’t believe her ears. The guy had told people to buy her music? Since when did anyone like her? Fallon tried to keep from smiling; one person had finally said that they wanted others to go buy her stuff. She was elated. Now all she wanted was acceptance from Popjustice, and she would be happy.