All That We Could Be

Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Cheryl was still in the living room, as Fallon came back. Still sitting in the same spot. Her pose was what threw Fallon off. Cheryl apparently hadn’t heard Fallon come back, she had her head in her hands.

“Is something the matter?” Fallon asked with concern. Cheryl snapped to attention. “No, not at all. I didn’t hear you come back.” Cheryl replied stiffly. Fallon sat down across from her. There were a ton of questions she had to get through and she needed to figure out which ones came first.

“Why was William here?” She asked, thinking it was better to start off with the obvious one. She refused to believe he had only come to ask if she was available that night. She had told him the day before she wouldn’t be home today, so why would he come if he knew she wasn’t home.

“He came to see if you were there.” Cheryl replied her hands were fidgeting with her dress. “Cheryl, come on, I know he wasn’t here for that. I told him yesterday that I wasn’t going to be home today.” Fallon pushed. Why was it so difficult to get Cheryl to answer her properly these days. “Look, he forgot about that okay. He was just trying to be nice. Do you always have to be so difficult?” Cheryl snapped.

Fallon sat there taken aback. “How am I being difficult? Honestly, I’m just asking, since I know he didn’t come for me. You two seemed to be having your own little discussion while I walked Chris to the door.” Fallon snapped right back. “Really Fallon. I wonder maybe William was wondering why you were with Chris, or how long you’ve been seeing him behind his back. Wouldn’t that make more sense as to why you don’t seem interested in William, or want to go with him to any dinner. So maybe he was asking me? Did you ever stop to wonder about his feelings before your own?” Cheryl said viciously.

Fallon’s ears were ringing. She could feel the heat from her anger creep up to her face. She couldn’t believe what Cheryl had just said. Fallon wouldn’t ever cheat on any one. Not even William, even if she didn’t feel interested in him, she wouldn’t hurt him like that. Besides that, she had only known Christopher for a day. This was the first time she had even gotten a ride home from him. She hadn’t even known Phil had any children until now.

Fallon wouldn’t have gone out with Christopher either, she already knew she would like him as a friend, but besides that was the fact that there was only one person whom she really wanted to be with in her life, but he had already made it clear that there was nothing between them.

Fallon took a deep breath. “Really Cheryl, do you really believe I would do something that low to anyone…even if it is William we’re talking about. What feelings? I don’t have a go when I see him with his female friends. I’m not going to go all his fancy club parties and he doesn’t attend all of my gigs. He gets it, I don’t need him every minute of every day, and it doesn’t break his heart. By the way I only met Chris today…so I wonder how many times could I have possibly seen him before if we just met. Hmm…none!” Fallon couldn’t believe what nonsense Cheryl had said.

“Alright you haven’t actually cheated on William. I know for a fact that through out the whole time you’ve been ‘dating’ William, you keep wishing for Daniel. So technically you’ve been emotionally cheating on him. Which is just as bad.” Cheryl retorted, her words coming out in a rush.

Fallon was stunned, they were not going to discuss Daniel, and Fallon wouldn’t allow it. Since when did Cheryl care about how much she wanted Daniel back…since William came along Cheryl had jumped on the bandwagon. “What the hell? If you really cared about how I was emotionally cheating on William, you would have told him. Why do you care anyway? I didn’t even want to go with him in the first place. I told you no a million times and still some how I end up here. I didn’t even return his calls…and you help me wind up here.” Fallon’s fury was starting to unleash.

“Okay fine, I did push you. Now that you are going out with him, why are you making it so hard for him to take you out?” Cheryl was starting on her yet again. “Maybe because tomorrow I will go and make it easy for him and finally tell him that maybe I don’t think we should be going out…in other words tomorrow I’m breaking up with him.” Fallon unable to contain her thoughts any longer.

Cheryl paled instantly. “What? No! You can’t.” She told Fallon, frantically. “What are you talking about? Yes I can, and I will.” Fallon told her adamantly. “Fallon, why would you do that?” Cheryl got up frantically and walked to the table. She collected her papers, and then turned to face Fallon. “Why can’t you just stay with him? You might actually like him.” Cheryl said, her voice no longer angry but instead it sounded as though she was pleading.

Fallon was instantly suspicious of the request. It had been a moment ago they were arguing and now she was asking her to keep seeing William.

“Why?” She asked cautiously. “Can’t you just try to like him for once?” Cheryl replied hastily. Fallon’s suspicions grew. “You know what, no I won’t. Not until you tell me what the hell has been going on.” Fallon said, as she rose to her feet. “What are you going on about? Nothing is going on.” Cheryl was still being evasive. “Alright fine, then if nothing is going on, you shouldn’t care that I’m going to break up with him tomorrow.” Fallon said, hoping maybe Cheryl would slip up. Cheryl looked at Fallon coldly.

“Go, go break up with him. I don’t care. I hope you’re completely happy when I’m ruined. Thank you so much Fallon.” With that Cheryl left Fallon completely puzzled.

Fallon couldn’t understand what had happened. All she had wanted to know was what was going on with Cheryl, and they blew up.

Fallon was going to go after Cheryl but thought better of it. Instead she went to the kitchen and put away all the groceries she had bought for their night in. What a waste…- Fallon thought as she put away the last of the food. She picked up the paper bags and put them into order before putting them in one of the drawers. She grabbed the bag with the movies and headed for her room.

As Fallon entered her room, she locked her door. She needed some time to think. She put away the movies in a corner of her closet where Cheryl would probably never look. At least once this blew over, they would do something together again. Hopefully. Unless Cheryl hated her and moved out. Fallon dreaded the thought. She didn’t want to be alone in the house.

Fallon sat on her chair and turned on the computer. Why would breaking up with William hurt Cheryl? How would it ruin her? It didn’t make sense. Fallon couldn’t believe that Cheryl would keep something like this from her. If was going to affect her, she could at least tell Fallon. Fallon had no idea what it was that was going to hurt her. How could she fight something that was unknown.

Frustrated with herself, Fallon logged in to her university webpage. She found the final exam schedule. She had exams on Friday of this week, and then the Monday and Tuesday of the week after. After that she would be done with school for the summer. Fallon pondered whether or not to test Cheryl’s statement. If she gave herself until the end of exams and found out exactly what she was up against, wouldn’t it be better? It would surely cause Fallon less stress and make it easier to study…even with the two of them not on good terms. Maybe it was better to leave things with William until her exams were over. She couldn’t risk the chance of getting Cheryl hurt. Even if she didn’t know what it was that would hurt Cheryl.