All That We Could Be

Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

“Fallon, why are you doing this to me?” Craig yelled for the third time in the same hour. “Because you’re the only one who can help me, help Cheryl. Besides I trust you.” It was Thursday afternoon, Fallon had finally figured out how to approach Mr. Michael Evans. Now all she needed was some money and Craig to back her up.

“Okay, fine. Now let me ask you again. You’re sure that the price of one share of Lively! is 22.50?” Craig asked. “Yes! I’m sure. I checked like a million times since last night. Since Cheryl told me…which was last night.” Fallon told him, annoyed.

“And the price of the 75 shares that Evans has is?” Craig asked again. “One thousand, six hundred and eighty seven dollars and fifty cents.” Fallon recited. “And you want me to give you how much?” Craig asked nearing breaking point again. “It’s not that much, I’m forking up just as much as you are. Even Phil agreed. Why is it that you are the only one who is making such a big deal about it. Besides Cheryl will agree to buy the shares from us. So we aren’t losing anything. I’m only borrowing six hundred and sixty seven dollars.” Fallon said, she was tired of going through this.

“Okay so why are we giving Evans two thousand dollars. Why give him extra?” Craig asked. “It’s only three hundred and twelve dollars and fifty cents extra. I think maybe he’ll give them easily if we give him a little incentive…” Fallon said hopefully.

“Fallon you’d better make sure that Cheryl can buy the stock from us, if I lose money over this…I swear your next music video will be filmed in a card board box.” Craig said, giving in finally. “Yea…thanks for all the faith you put in me. You do know you’re going to have to come and help me do the talking right?” Fallon said as she took the cheque from his hand, before he could have any second thoughts.

“What? Why?” Craig blew up. “Come on…I just told you.” Fallon said as she sat back down for another round of grilling.

By the time Fallon had gotten Craig convinced…it was almost two o’clock. Craig had decided it would be best if he talked. So he left to talk to Michael Evans, while Fallon headed home to study.
As Fallon parked into her driveway, she noticed Cheryl was home. It would be the perfect time to ask her.

Fallon walked in to the house, there was a light scent of something cooking. So Fallon went into the kitchen to find Cheryl there. “Hello.” Fallon greeted her. “Hey.” Cheryl said. They still hadn’t gotten over the awkwardness.

“I was just wondering, if I buy the stocks…for whatever price…do you think you can buy them off of me? I’m not one for stocks…and that sort of stuff.” Fallon said, getting down to business quickly.

“Yea sure. How much is it that William might give them to you for?” Cheryl asked. “I’m not going to William. I’m talking to his father.” Fallon told her. Cheryl looked shocked. “What if he tells him?” Cheryl asked. “I don’t think so. William told me that he doesn’t usually talk to his dad unless there is something interesting to invest in. He usually looks around for clubs, parks, products, for his father’s business to invest in.” Fallon told her. “Oh, so how much do you think you’ll need me to pay you back?” Cheryl asked. “Two thousand.” Fallon told her bluntly.

Cheryl looked surprised. “I thought you might say more. That I can do.” She told Fallon. “Well good, cause I’ll need it soon. If this works out.” Fallon told her. “Yea sure, I’ll have it ready by tomorrow.” With that Fallon left for her room.

Fallon desperately needed to study. Yet it was becoming more clearer that maybe it was best if after exams Fallon left for a while. Fallon needed time away from Cheryl. The hurt was still there…how could she have left Fallon in the dark like that…and with the hurt came anger.

Fallon opened her books, and finally started to study…in the peace and quiet of her own room.

By the end of Friday, Fallon still hadn’t heard from Craig. All Craig had told her last night was that Mr. Evans was considering the deal, since Lively! had recently had it’s stock go down a little. Craig said he was hoping Evans would take the deal, and that Fallon should make sure Cheryl could reimburse all three of them. Fallon reassured him that Cheryl had said that it would be no problem. Craig was more relaxed after he heard that Cheryl would have the money by tomorrow.

As for Fallon’s exam, it hadn’t been too brutal. Fallon had expected more from her Chemistry professor, but she wasn’t complaining. She was sure she would be getting a good mark from this course. It had been a lot of fun. Especially the labs they had gotten to do. Her favorite had been the synthesis of Aspirin and doing melting points.

Fallon had the weekend to study for her next three exams. Fallon had to prepare her formula sheet for her math exam, and review whatever notes she could for cellular biology and computer programming. She knew the last one would be all written coding. She dreaded it the most. Her computer programming exam would be her last exam.

Still Fallon had yet to buy her plane tickets. She was putting it off until she found out how the deal with Michael Evans went…

It was Sunday afternoon when Craig finally called. “He took the deal!” Craig shouted into the phone. “Yes!” Cheered Fallon. “So did he sign all the papers and stuff?” Fallon asked. “Yes he did. I have it right here. It has everything signed. I even had my lawyer look at it. I’ll get it photocopied for you, and I’ll give you the documents that Cheryl has to sign. Actually I’ll come by with my lawyer and that way everything will be done right. Besides I know you have to study. So I’ll come to you. Just make sure Phil and I can recoup our losses.” “Is that all you care about? You saved me from having to stay with William, and you saved Lively!. You should be proud of that…not thinking about when you’re going to get paid.” Fallon scolded him. “Sorry kid, but I was going to get a new computer when you came for my wallet.” Craig said. Fallon laughed. Craig had an excuse for everything. She was sure he could have gotten the computer without the money he had given her. Fallon told him that he could drop by when ever he wanted since both she and Cheryl were home. Craig said he would come over in two hours. Fallon told him that would be fine.

Fallon sat at her desk studying. At least one problem was now over with. All she had to do now was get rid of William. Then she would be okay.

Fallon got up to tell Cheryl that Craig would be coming. Cheryl had already given the cheques to Fallon. Fallon would happily hand them over to Craig.

Fallon opened the door of her room, and saw that Cheryl was there on a couch watching television. “Cheryl, Craig is going to come…and you’re going to have to sign some papers so that we can sign the shares over to you. He’ll be here in two hours…he wants to bring his lawyer and make it all official.” Fallon told her.
“Yea sure. I’ll sign the papers. I guess you can call William now.” Cheryl said. On that subject there was still a lot of awkwardness between them.

“Yea…I will.” Fallon said as she went back to her desk. Fallon had been debating on how to confront William.

She dialed his number. He answered after the first ring. “Hey gorgeous!” He greeted her. “William, do you want to go to dinner with me?” She said tentatively. “Sure when do you want me to come by?” He asked. She thought for a minute. “You’re going to have to meet me there.” She told him. She knew she would need her car. “Sure, just give me the address.” Fallon hadn’t thought about which location they should meet at. “Just come to the café at eight. It’s like a few streets down from my place.” She told him. It was time to come back to the café.

Fallon hung up, and sat on her bed. She needed to think of a way to tell William she didn’t want to stay with him. It was bad enough he had used her best friend to get to her. Fallon couldn’t believe the lengths to which William had gone to.

Fallon soon gave up on trying to plan what she was going to say to William. She went back to her desk and started to study. It was apparent that she wouldn’t be able to study after two hours. Her exams were tomorrow and she was tired of reading the same chapters over and over again.

Fallon decided it was time to go and relax before her meeting with William. She had read enough, and would be home before nine, so she could re-read her notes then. Plus she would wake up early, that would give her some extra time to read. With her mind made up, Fallon grabbed her jacket and left her room. She closed her door.

Cheryl looked up as Fallon went to get her keys. “I’m going out.” Fallon said, not explaining where she was heading. “Okay…” Cheryl said. Fallon was about to step out when she remembered. She went to her room and got the cheques. “Here give this to Craig, tell him I gave Phil’s to him already.” Fallon said, handing the slip of paper to Cheryl. “Alright, anything else?” Cheryl asked. “Nope, I’ll see you later.” Fallon headed out the door. She had just locked the door and turned around when she walked into Craig.

“Hello Fallon. Where are you off to?” He asked her. “I’m just going to visit Phil. I have his cheque to give to him. Cheryl’s inside with yours. You don’t need me to sign anything right?” Fallon asked him. “No, I think we’ll be fine.” He told her. “Where’s your lawyer?” Fallon asked. Craig was alone. “He’s on his way.” Craig said. Fallon turned back to unlock the door. Something clicked in her mind. “Craig, wait a minute.” She told him. She had unlocked the door but hadn’t opened it. “Here’s my cheque. I was hoping maybe you could book my flights home and back.” She told him. “Why didn’t you just ask Cheryl too?” Craig asked. Fallon was quiet. “You haven’t told her you’re going home? Why not?” Craig asked with concern.

Fallon sat on the steps. Craig joined her. “It’s going to make her feel bad. She’ll think I’m running from her because I’m angry or upset.” Fallon told him. “Are you?” Craig asked. “No…” Fallon said shiftily. Craig looked at her, his eyes narrowed. “Okay, fine…I am a little.” Fallon told him truthfully. Craig sighed. “Craig, you always set up my flights. Can you please do this? I’m just going for vacation to see some family. I’ll be back in two weeks.” Fallon told him.

“Alright, fine. When are you going to tell Cheryl?” Craig asked her. “Soon.” Fallon told him. “Don’t you say a word. Craig, I mean it.” She told him seriously. “I won’t. Just tell me where are you off to?” Craig asked. Fallon pulled out a crumpled piece of paper from her jeans pocket. “Here everything is on it. Thanks Craig.” She told him in earnest. “Yea, yea. Good luck on your exams.” He told her as he entered the house. Fallon bounded to her car.

She was heading for the track. She had Phil’s cheque in her pocket and she wanted to try the track. Besides there wasn’t anything else to do, and she wanted to race against Christopher, he owed her a race. She also needed to talk to Christopher.

Fallon turned on to the road. Her mind about going home had finally been made. She was going to go home after her exam on Tuesday. She felt she needed some time away from Cheryl, so that all the hurt and anger that kept bubbling up would go away. It was still hard to believe that Cheryl could have kept something like that from her all this time. Not only that, but Cheryl had been so difficult about William…although now Fallon understood why…but still Fallon was stung by the way Cheryl had treated her every time Fallon had tried to talk to her about William.

Fallon reached the track. Phil had put in a huge gate on the outside for safety from intruders. He had given her an access card…since he knew how often Fallon was around. Fallon swiped the card into the reader and was allowed in. The gates opened. Fallon drove on. She turned in the direction of the house and parked.

Fallon got out of the car and walked up to the door. She rang the doorbell. “Hello Fallon!” Christopher answered the door. “Hey Chris!” Fallon greeted him. “Is Phil around?” She asked him. “Yea, he’s in the kitchen. Come on, I’ll take you.” Christopher led Fallon around to the kitchen. “Hey kiddo. What brings you here?” Phil greeted her.

“I have your cheque from Cheryl. Plus Chris owes me a race too.” Fallon told him. Both Phil and Christopher chuckled upon hearing this. Fallon handed the cheque over to Phil. “Thanks, I’m glad I could help your friend.” He told her. “Thanks so much Phil. It helped a lot. Plus it helped Craig listen to me.” Fallon told him. Phil asked her how everything was going. All three of them chattered for a few more moments.

“So are you ready Fallon?” Christopher asked her. They were heading out of the house. “Ready to beat you? Yea of course.” Fallon told him with a laugh. “He who laughs last laughs longest.” Christopher told her. “Yea, so I’m just getting a head start at laughing longer than you.” Fallon retorted. Christopher snickered. He told her to meet at the beginning of the track. Fallon walked to her car. It was going to be fun racing him.

After the race, Fallon parked her car back on the grass. “I beat you!” She cheered as she got out. “No it was a tie.” Christopher argued. “No it wasn’t!” Fallon told him. “Uh, Yea it was.” Christopher argued back. The two of them bickered all the way to the front porch. Fallon sat down, Christopher sat down next to her. “Alright this time, you win. But we are going to have a re-match.” Christopher told her. “Fine.” Fallon agreed. “Although I think I had you beaten when we got to the uneven terrain.” Fallon goaded him. Again they were bickering.

Once they settled down, Fallon decided to ask Christopher what she had come for. “Chris, you wouldn’t mind taking the Charger for a week or two?” Fallon asked him. “Sure, but why?” He asked her. “I’m going home for two weeks. I just want to make sure the car is taken care of.” She told him. “Why not leave it at home?” Christopher asked her. “I don’t want it changed or Cheryl to clean it. She always does that when I go.” She told him, she laughed remembering all the times she had come home and everything had changed. “That bad, huh? Well sure I’ll keep the car for as long as you’re gone. Anything else?” “Just one more…can you drop me off at the airport?” Fallon asked. Christopher laughed at her request. “Alright, your highness. Will that be all?” He asked her, jokingly. “That will be all for now.” She told him, majestically. They talked a little while longer, until Fallon glanced at her watch. She had half an hour to get to the café.

She decided to stay a while longer. She wasn’t in a rush to meet William. It would only take her fifteen minutes to get to the café from the track. So Fallon procrastinated.

“So where are you heading after this?” Christopher asked instinctively. “I have to meet up with a friend.” Fallon told him. “When?” He asked her. “Around eight.” Fallon told him. “So who is the meeting with?” Christopher asked, curiously. “William.” Fallon told him bluntly. “Oh.” Christopher said. “Yea…so what are you going to be doing tomorrow?” Fallon said changing the subject at once. “Go to work, and then probably come home and maybe work on the car. How about you?” He asked her. “Exams, come home and then study for my last exam.” She told him.

Fallon looked out to the track. She didn’t want to leave just yet. She wanted to stay instead of face William. She wanted another turn on the track. It was when Fallon realized she only had ten minutes to get to the café that she got up with a heavy heart. “I should get going.” She told Christopher. “Alright, it was nice seeing you today.” Christopher said to her. “Yea, I had fun. We’ll have a proper race when I get back, we’ll include the rest of the guys…and then I’ll beat you all.” Fallon said. Christopher snickered at this. “Yea you keep thinking that.” He told her.

Christopher walked Fallon to her car. Fallon got in and waved goodbye to him, as she left.

It was time to end this game that William had been playing with her. Finally.