All That We Could Be

Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven

“Phil’s had a multiple heart attack.” Cheryl had said. The words still echoed in Fallon’s head. She was sitting in the hall outside Phil’s room. Christopher was inside making sure his father was alright.

Fallon had managed to get to the hospital, just in time to stop Christopher from getting into serious trouble with the hospital staff. Apparently when Fallon found him, he was badgering a nurse about his father’s condition. Fallon had come straight from the airport, and managed to get Christopher calmed down.

This pretty much summed up how Fallon had spent the last few days back from her vacation. She had not slept properly since she arrived back. The third week of May had begun, and Fallon had come to the hospital loyally, with a handful of paperwork each day.

Although she was here for Christopher, Craig had let it be known that she was now off vacation. Each day he had given her papers to fill. Apparently setting up a tour was not easy or as fun as it seemed. She had papers for the seating, the lighting, the band, the back up dancers, the pyrotechnics, the clothes, etc. It was maddening.

She was trying hard to be there for Christopher, and this was not exactly making it easier.

Most of the time, she sat in the hallway, diligently filling out the papers. When allowed she would go in and talk to Phil. Doctors had said that he was on the mend, but even so, they were concerned. Something in his body wasn’t working properly. Phil’s feet had started to swell, which was another cause for concern.

Christopher’s two older brothers had also flown in. Adrian, the oldest, and Dallas, who was in the middle, stayed most of the nights in the hallway. While Christopher had to be dragged home by Fallon. He was way too exhausted for his own good. Even then he wouldn’t hear of it. So Fallon started to drag him to her house. It was closer to the hospital than Christopher’s house.

Most of the time she only had to nudge him to her bed, and he would fall asleep, so for the last few days, Fallon had tried to get some sleep on the couch. The guest room was too far for her, since it was upstairs. Also this way Fallon kept an eye on Christopher, in case he tried to sneak out…again.
Today Fallon sat in a corner of Phil’s room, Craig had come to check up on Phil…and to get the papers from Fallon and give her new ones. Today the stack of papers included names of designer’s who wanted to work with her in designing to clothes for the tour, some design ideas for the stage, a number of detailed designs for clothes, papers that wanted to cover bits of the tour, bands for the supporting acts, and companies who wanted to film the tour.

Christopher was over by his father’s bed with his brothers, all of them were talking about what they would do once Phil got out of the hospital. The three brothers had agreed to take their father for vacation. It was the destination that they were arguing about. Both Adrian and Dallas wanted Phil to come to their places and spend time with their families. Adrian lived in Germany with his wife and 2 year old daughter, while Dallas lived with his wife in Australia with their 3 year old son.

The three of them had started to get louder, arguing about the best place to take Phil, Fallon looked up. The three brothers had around the same height, and were around Phil’s bed, so that it looked as though a fence was guarding him. Phil was lying down, intently watching his sons, each time he tried to say something he would get cut off, as his sons were heatedly arguing.

Fallon saw Phil motion her over, she sighed, and this was going to be a hard one to stop. She put her papers onto the chair and walked to Phil’s bed. “Okay, guys, I don’t think the important issue right now is where Phil will go. I think you should be more concerned with his recovery. So calm down, you guys can figure it out later.” Fallon said, trying to interrupt them. They stopped to look at her, and then went back to discussing the pros and cons of each one’s home. Phil smiled at Fallon, Fallon shrugged. She put her two fingers in her mouth and gave a shrill whistle.

At once there was silence. Fallon could see why she was here; she was the buffer between Phil and his sons. “Thanks, now why don’t we let Phil rest, and grab some lunch.” Fallon told them with a smile. All three of them looked sheepish, realizing why Fallon had spoken up. “Yea, sure. Why don’t you, Chris, and Dallas go first? I’ll stay with Dad until you get back.” Adrian spoke up. “Sure.” Fallon said as she grabbed her papers. With that she dragged both Christopher and Dallas out of the room, without bothering to listen to their complains about how Adrian would now be able to convince their father to stay in Germany.

Fallon watched over the two of them as they all ate together. Dallas was the second oldest. He was twenty seven and worked as an architect in Australia. From Adrian and Dallas, Fallon had liked Dallas a little bit more. He had a wicked sense of humor. He was also the easier one to get along with.

Adrian was more serious, but Fallon thought it was because he was the oldest. Adrian had a more reserved but caring nature from what Fallon had been able to see. He was the quiet but thoughtful one. He was the one who had helped Fallon get Christopher home. Adrian was twenty eight. He worked as sound recording engineer at one of the broadcasting radio and television stations in Munich.

Fallon ate a little bit, but she wasn’t really in the mood to eat. Instead she filled out the papers and talked with the other two guys. She had been narrowing the support acts one by one. Craig had given her an mp3 player full of the songs by each of the acts, she was having a hard time selecting one or two from the ones that he had given her.

They all walked back to the room and saw Adrian talking with the doctor who was in charge of Phil. As the doctor left both Christopher and Dallas converged on Adrian. Asking him questions non-stop.

Fallon hung back; she didn’t want to intrude into their family matters. It was a little while before Christopher came to her, his face had fallen. Fallon watched him sink into the chair next to her.

“What’s the matter?” Fallon asked, concerned. “The doctor is saying that my dad is going to need dialysis. Apparently his kidney isn’t functioning properly, and neither is his liver. He looks better but his condition is worse. I don’t understand, what’s happening to him?” Christopher told Fallon, he sounded extremely frustrated.

“I’m sure he’ll get better, Chris. In the mean time why don’t you go check up on him? I’m sure he could use some company. Just don’t argue that’s not helping any one.” Fallon told him. He needed to know that the three of them arguing wasn’t going to make Phil any better.

Christopher gave her a weak smile. “I’ll behave myself, come on, let’s go see him.” Christopher got up and waited for Fallon to accompany him. They left to see Phil together.