All That We Could Be

Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

Surreal. It was the only word Fallon could find to describe the last few days. Although each of them had been long and painstaking, looking back at them made Fallon feel as though it had been a short time ago.

Fallon had gotten through the viewing, the funeral, and the burial. The only reason she hadn’t cracked in front of anyone was her nails digging into her palm…and because if she cracked then who would be the strong one. Christopher had dragged her through all the events, and for her part, Fallon didn’t complain. If he needed her, then she would be there for him.

Both of Christopher’s brothers had called their wives, and made arrangements for their families to come to England for the funeral. Fallon had met the wives, and the kids. The kids had liked playing with her, so Fallon kept them busy and away from the casket, at the request of their parents, and because of Christopher.

The sight that had shocked her was Craig, in all her years she had not seen Craig show as much emotion as Fallon did when Craig came to the viewing. His eyes blurred with tears. It shocked Fallon to see him like this.

For Fallon it was hard to get through it all, but compared to what Christopher was going through, she knew she was getting off lightly. Not only had she never lost anyone close to her. She had never gone to a viewing, or burial. Each had been held on a separate day. Friday, Sunday, and Monday. Fallon considered herself lucky; she was no where near the casket when they buried Phil. Just the thought of knowing someone who was now never going to be physically near her, and would be six feet under the ground, was too much.

Fallon’s composure had slipped just once during the burial. It was because of everything, but more because of what she heard Christopher mutter under his breath. “I can’t believe he’s gone. He just left me.” It had been the most heart wrenching, most innocent thing she had heard. It was almost like a child had spoken. Tears had fallen on her face, but she turned away from Christopher and wiped them away silently.

Today, Friday, Fallon found herself in a quiet meeting room. She was sitting next to Christopher. The room was a large oak furnished conference room. A giant oak table was at the center, and today both Fallon, Christopher, Adrian and his family, Dallas and his family, Craig, Christopher’s estranged mother, and Phil’s lawyers were seated around it.

When Christopher had asked Fallon to come, initially her plan was to give him some support…until the lawyers called.

Today they were going to read out Phil’s will. Fallon couldn’t believe that Phil would leave her anything. They had known each other since she had started to work with Craig. It shocked her that he could be so kind as to include her in his will.

The lawyers cleared their throat collectively. Fallon’s gaze rose to look at them. The lawyers started to give them the details about the will. The lawyers turned to Phil’s former wife; she had been left a hefty amount of near five thousand dollars. She nodded in acknowledgement. Apparently she had left Phil about seven years ago, for another man. Christopher had told Fallon how hurt his father had been.

The remainder of Phil’s estate had been divided between his sons, charities, and…”Fallon, Phil wanted to give you a little bit of financial backing, just in case, he felt that your talent would refine itself, and he wanted to give you this letter.” One of the burly lawyers handed Fallon an envelope. Fallon couldn’t speak. “The sum of your fund is in there.” He told. Fallon’s breath caught, she hadn’t been expecting this or anything else. Phil had been beyond kind to include her in this way. Yet Fallon couldn’t make herself open the envelope. She pocketed the envelope.

Fallon sat there as the rest of the will was read out. Christopher had gotten the house; the brother’s could divide the books and other belongings among themselves. Phil’s stock shares had gone to Craig as well as some of Phil’s money. Craig looked saddened.

There was just one more matter that had to be dealt with. “As for the race course that Phil had built on his property, he specified that it would be shared. The track will be shared property of Christopher and Fallon. Neither can sell it separately. It will no longer be property shared with the house. If a time comes where either of you want to sell, it will be up to the other to buy out the first. If both want to sell the property will go to the charity Phil started a few years back, called ‘Dreaming To Fly’ a charity organization working towards preventing street racing and drunk driving, as well as promoting race courses that are safe and secure for young people to use.”

Fallon was more than just shocked, she felt as though her eyeballs had popped out. She and Christopher would be sharing the track. It was partly hers. She already knew she would never be able to bring herself to sell it. It was a part of her; the track had become a love affair to her over the years, and especially when…he left. Fallon shook her head, she wasn’t going to remember.

Christopher looked at her; his face reflected the shock and surprise of her own. “I would never be able to sell it.” He mumbled to her. “Believe me, neither would I.” She told him in return.

As the lawyers finished up, Christopher and Fallon got up to leave. They bade farewell to the rest of the group. Fallon had driven Christopher, as she had been for the last little while.

The two of them walked in silence to the car. Christopher had finally gone home to sleep in his own bed, plus he had his brothers’ families to look after.

Fallon unlocked the doors to the Charger. They both sat in silence, until the roar of the engine broke it. “So do you want to go home, or what?” Fallon asked him quietly. “I don’t know…are you doing anything later on today?” He asked her tentatively. “Nope, what do you have in mind?” She asked him. She gazed into his face, it looked as though he had the same thought she had in mind. “To escape…” He muttered. Fallon smiled for the first time in days. “I have the perfect cure for that.”

It was finally time to do what they both knew they wanted to. It was like a basic instinct to them both. It was near the weekend anyway, and both of them needed to take their mind of everything.

Fallon entered the track. Phil had built it for himself originally, his love of cars and racing had overpowered him one day, and besides as a man with the world in his hand, he wanted something for himself. Over time Phil allowed car enthusiasts that he knew, such as Fallon, to use the track. He had it maintained and made sure it had safety features. He also made sure users knew the rules. No rough riding or you’d never be allowed back.

Fallon parked on the grass, just like she had that day when she helped Phil and the guys set up the new area of the track. Both she and Christopher got out of the car. “Go grab your car; I think it’s about time we pay respect to Phil and his genius for providing us with such an awesome place to go to, and for giving it to us both. Plus it’ll help you relax.” Fallon told him, as she leaned against the door.

Christopher needed no further prodding he went and got out the Mercedes, Fallon was a little disappointed in him. Had he not learned, you don’t treat a car this way, especially one of that high class.

It was like a light bulb went off in Fallon’s head. She stared at the track, and something just clicked. They could do something in Phil’s honor. To make sure everyone would remember how kind and generous he had been.

Christopher got out of his car; he had a little smile on his face, reacting to her expression albeit she had tried to hide it.

“Remember that race we were going to have against the rest of the guys?” Fallon asked. “Yea, what about it.” Christopher said, his eyes questioning hers. “We should do it. Instead of it being just between us, we could do it for charity. Put up bleachers for the day and sell the seats. We could donate the funds raised to the local heart and stroke research foundation, and Phil’s charity. All eight of us could race, in heats of two or three, and then the winners of the heats could race against each other, until we have a top two which would determine the winner. People would enjoy it, and it would be a way for us all to…do something for him.” Fallon ended, on that low note.

She looked at Christopher, hoping he could see why they had to do it. If nothing else, it would give her a chance to say her goodbye.

His face was hard to read. Fallon looked down at her feet. It had been incredibly stupid to suggest something like it at such a hard point in time. She felt as though she had been insensitive towards Christopher to suggest it.

Fallon could feel the heat of embarrassment rushing to her cheeks. What could she say now?

“I think you’re right. We should do it.” Christopher said, his voice sounded confidant. “It would help those charities a lot. I’m sure he would have wanted us to do something worth while. I’m sure this would count.”

Fallon was surprised by his acceptance. He sounded so sure of himself, that her misery at suggesting it in the first place started to die down.

“So are you ready?” Fallon asked him. “Yea, but don’t cry if I win.” Christopher said, smiling a little bit. Neither of them had been able to get away from it all. Finally they could let go of the gloom and remember Phil’s happiness at seeing his track used.

The two of them could be heard starting their engines. The roar was like music to Fallon’s ear, finally a chance to breath after the storm of emotion.

They both started for the track, once on it, it was hard to tell who was trying to forget more than the other.