All That We Could Be

Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

It was finally Saturday. The day of the race. Fallon and the rest of the guys had managed to raise ten thousand dollars. Their best sponsors had been The Sun, The Mail on Sunday, Lively! had made a joint donation with none other than Manchester United. Fallon had been a little surprised. All the seats had been filled. None of them had expected such a turnout. They had all decided to split the money between the charities. After the races there would be a short presentation of the gigantic cheques that they would be giving to both Phil’s charity representatives, and the representatives for the local heart and stroke foundation.

The ten racers had checked their cars in the night before. Fallon’s opinion had been overridden. The guys had decided that her car would be checked by them…after she had managed to bang her head on the hood no later than thirty seconds after she had propped it open. Dallas had jokingly told her that it was better if she kept away since she wouldn’t want to be the one to damage her car causing herself to lose.

It was almost ten thirty. The crowds would be settling down and in their seats by eleven, then the real fun would begin.

Fallon parked her car in front of Christopher’s house. She stepped out the car, her hair tied back in a pony tail with a little bit of her hair framing her face. She had her black tinted aviator sunglasses on. Her black flared pants moved with the pleasant summer breeze. She was dressed much like the way she had when she found out Daniel had gotten transferred to United. Her black boots had been replaced with a pair of black pair of ballet style shoes; they were more comfortable in this weather. She had on the group’s shirt. The silver letters shone in the sunlight against the black shirt.

Today Fallon had indulged in looking like a racer. She had gotten up happily to fix herself up to look decent for today. Cheryl had even helped her. Cheryl had given Fallon a surprise this morning. In her hands had been a pair of gloves, the kind Fallon had seen Jason Statham wear in the ‘Transporter’ movies. The ones Fallon had coveted. They were black…perfect for Fallon.

Fallon rang the door bell once she got to the porch. Fallon could hear the guys racing for the door. Apparently the guys had gotten there before her. Excluding the three brothers, the other six guys had managed to beat her here. Fallon shook her head as she heard the guys shouting.

“Finally!” Fallon said loudly, as the door opened. It was Christopher. He grinned as he heard her. “What I thought since it was taking you guys so long to open the door, that you all were stuck. That would mean you all chickened out from the race. Leaving me to be the winner!” She told him, as she entered the house. “Keep dreaming Fallon.” Christopher chuckled, he walked behind her.

Fallon saw that Aidan and everyone were gathered around the table. “What’s going on guys?” Fallon questioned. “hey Fallon! You look more like a racer than the rest of us!” Alex said as he glanced up at her. “Yea…nice sunglasses.” Samuel added. “We’re just deciding on who goes first.” Aidan told her. “Chris is going first, Samuel is second, Aidan third, and you and Lucas are last.” Dallas told her. “Yay…last.” Fallon muttered.

“Come on, now that you have that sorted out, let’s go. We’ll be late.” Adrian said in a serious manner. They all got out to their cars. Dallas and Adrian were using their father’s Mitsubishi Lancer, and Audi A4. Christopher had already chosen the Mustang Shelby GT. Fallon looked over the other cars. Aidan and Adam had both brought their cars. Aidan had a BMW 1 Series Coupe, and Adam had an Audi TT. Fallon had liked their taste in cars. Alex and Lucas however were another story. Alex had a ‘souped up’ Honda Civic, while Lucas had a Honda Accord. Fallon couldn’t even mask her distaste when she found out. Samuel had a Porsche 911, while Taylor had a Volkswagen Phaeton. All of their cars had been outfitted with the magnetic decals.

They all had worn their shirts. Presenting a united front to the audience was important. They drove their cars to the grass along the side of the track’s starting line. Craig was going to be doing the announcing and commentary. He had asked Christopher to do it. That was another thing that had surprised Fallon. That was very unlike Craig to just offer himself.

Fallon sat on the grass in front of her Charger. The others who weren’t in the first heat did the same. Christopher and Taylor had driven their cars to the starting line.

Craig was doing the introduction when the crowd saw them all drive up. Fallon had heard the cheers from inside her car. As Craig spoke about why they were doing this, Fallon looked at the crowd. The bleachers had been put up in four places that overlooked the track properly, they had been put a safe distance away. It was important to all of them that no one got hurt.

Craig was now talking about how the race was going to work. The first four heats, the next three, and the final race. Fallon had her heart set on winning. Although she knew there was no prize, just getting to finish first meant the world to her. When she was younger she had dreamed about being a race car driver. Things changed and although she never did become one, her appetite for speed hadn’t vanished. It had grown if anything else, fed by the fact Phil had let her use the track.

Craig was now announcing the first pair of racers. There was a man standing right a few feet away from the starting line. He had the starting pistol at the ready. Both Taylor and Christopher revved their engines. Fallon and the rest of the guys stood up and to put a little space between them and the cars. They stood near Aidan’s car, since there was space and a better view. Fallon watched intently as the two racers awaited the gun shot.

The starting pistol fired, and Christopher and Taylor sped down the track. Each heat was only one lap, since the race course had obstacles and was long. They didn’t want everyone to tire out before the final round. Although both Fallon and Adrian had wanted the final round to comprise of three laps, they had ended up agreeing to make it one lap, since in total the crowd would end up watching them go around the track eight times.

Christopher and Taylor were tied as they drove to the area where the extension was. Soon they would be facing the bumps. The crowd was cheering loudly. Fallon looked towards some of the bleachers. Among them she knew Cheryl was sitting with her boyfriend Keith, and her parents and younger brother would be with her. Fallon also knew a few newspaper reporters had spread themselves along the bleachers, hoping to get a good picture and story for the paper. Among the crowd there would also be the players of United. Fallon hadn’t seen which players had come, but there wasn’t any reason for her to care either.

Fallon watched as Christopher took lead. He had finally managed to shake off Taylor. He was heading for the wet part of the track. The water sprays were working fine, but it had taken them all a little while to get used to a wet track. Since usually they all raced on it with the water off.

Christopher’s lead became more pronounced as he headed for the uneven terrain. “It looks like Christopher will be the one to cross the finish line first.” Announced Craig. It seemed that the crowd was divided over this; half of them wanted Christopher to win, and half wanted Taylor.

Along the race course, the safety boards had been fitted with a removable layer. On some of the boards were the names of the sponsors, and on others were the names of the racers along with pictures of them and their cars.

Christopher was speeding through the uneven terrain, but Taylor could be seen catching up to him. Soon they both were separated by little distance. Fallon felt nervous. She wanted Christopher to win, so that hopefully they would face each other in the final. If she got to the final…

Taylor and Christopher could be seen heading down the final portion of the track. Christopher took the lead once more. He sped up. Fallon watched as he passed the man who had shot the starting pistol. He now held a checkered flag. It went down as Christopher passed the finish line.

Fallon cheered with the crowd. The other guys were laughing as the cars came off the track and on to the grass. They commended both Christopher and Taylor. The two of them smiled sheepishly. Christopher was the first to speak.

“You had me scared for a bit there.” He said as he lightly punched Taylor on the arm. “Don’t worry, man, next time I’ll get you.” Taylor said with a laugh.

Fallon could only hope that she would be as gracious in defeat as he was. After all, they were doing this for charity. They weren’t trying to build up tensions between themselves.

Craig announced the next two racers. Adam and Samuel got into their respective cars and left for the starting line. They both waited at the starting line. Their engines whining. With the starting pistol positioned above and away from his head, the man fired the pistol. Fallon had always hated the sound; she had covered her ears waiting for them to drive off.

Adam and Samuel raced off. “It looks like Adam is taking the lead right from the start.” Fallon knew that even if you had the lead early on, there was a good chance you could lose it.

The Porsche 911 could be seen swerving behind the Audi TT. Almost at once, Samuel over took Adam. “Samuel steals in front of Adam in a lightening fast move as they head to the first section of obstacles.” Even Craig sounded surprised as he commented on the race.

Christopher came over to where Fallon was standing. She turned to look at him. He had pulled on a baseball cap to keep the sun away. He offered Fallon a visor. Fallon put it on. “You did well, Chris. Now all I have to do is win against you.” Fallon told him, as she turned to watch the race again. “Thanks, but you have to win against Lucas first.” Christopher told her. “I forgot about that.” Fallon said as she lightly pushed Christopher away. He was laughing at her.

“What you don’t think I can win against Lucas?” She asked him, when the laughing persisted. “I don’t think anything. I’m just saying even if you beat him we don’t know if you’ll face me. Remember, Craig has to draw our names for the second set of heats.” Carefully avoiding an argument, Christopher spoke. “That’s very diplomatic of you to say.” Fallon told him, knowing full well he was avoiding an argument.

Fallon’s attention was turned to the track again as she heard the crowd’s shouts. Samuel had left Adam trailing far behind, as he drove to the wet track. Fallon watched Samuel’s car. He was one driver she wanted to face. He seemed hard to beat. That was what Fallon was fascinated by. She wanted to race against him until she finally mastered his tricks and won. This seemed unlikely, since he was full of surprises.

Fallon watched it seemed that there was little hope for Adam to catch up. Hopefully Adam wouldn’t take losing to hard. Samuel sped through the track towards the uneven terrain. Adam was far to behind to catch up.

Samuel reached the finish line long before Adam did. The crowd was going crazy. Samuel drove his car to the grass as they waited for Adam to come. Adam drove along the grassy area finally coming to a stop. They both got out of their cars around the same time. The rest of the group cheered for them both. Adam could be heard laughing as Samuel told him something.

Craig announced the next race. The crowd waited for the next two racers to drive towards the starting line. Aidan and Alex both started their cars and headed off.

Fallon could feel her stomach growl. After telling Christopher she would be at her car, Fallon headed towards the Charger. She could hear the rest of the guys razzing Adam. Fallon opened the Charger’s trunk. She had put a lunch bag into it in the morning, knowing that she would get hungry. Fallon unlocked the front passenger door and sat inside with the door opened. She could hear Craig commenting and the crowd cheering.

Fallon opened the bag to get her chicken wrap. She opened a bottle of water as she ate. “Aidan sneaks up from behind Alex, and leaves him in the dust.” Fallon heard as she ate.

Alex’s Civic was no match for Aidan’s BMW…no matter how souped up it was. Fallon couldn’t believe that Aidan had let Alex take the lead in the first place. Fallon had much disdain for Honda’s line of cars. She remembered when she would go to Toronto…everyone seemed to have that car…it had driven her mad. Even she called Toronto, Honda City. Although she understood that it was fuel efficient and what not, Fallon had just never taken to those cars.

Fallon started to eat quickly knowing that when this race would finish, she would be next.

Fallon got back to the group as Aidan had started on the wet track. For some reason Fallon though he would have been on the uneven terrain by now, so she had panicked and eaten in a hurry. She watched as Alex tried his best to catch up.

Fallon watched with the others as Aidan crossed the finish line. Fallon had butterflies in her stomach. Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to eat…- Fallon thought. Her stomach churned with nerves. Craig announced her name and Lucas’ name. “Good luck.” Fallon turned to Christopher. “Thanks, but I won’t need it.” She told him. Trying to maintain her confidence. Fallon took off her visor and handed it back to Christopher. She wouldn’t be needing it.

Fallon got into her Charger and buckled her seat belt. Safety always came first. The rules for the race had been well revised among the group.

For Fallon, it was as though her body was humming with excitement. She was nervous but anticipating the race. She started the Charger, its engine roared to life. She headed for the starting line; Lucas’ car was in view. Already idling at the starting line, he waved to her from within. She waved back.

Fallon concentrated as she waited to hear the starting pistol. Her foot at the ready to press the accelerator. She could see the Accord next to her waiting. *Bang* Fallon quickly stepped on the pedal, not waiting to see if Lucas had done the same. She couldn’t afford to waste time checking. Her Charger seemed to understand the importance of its quick response. As she pressed the pedal further, it obliged by speeding up.

The exhilaration was like a drug to Fallon, she was so high on it, that it seemed that it was only her and the track that were in this world. Fallon chanced a glance into the side view mirror. Sure enough Lucas was there behind her.

Fallon took on more speed after rounding a corner. She knew the patch of bumps would be coming up in a little while since they were almost at the extended part of the track. From the corner of her eye; Fallon saw Lucas coming up on her left side. He’s going to try to over take me?!- Fallon thought indignantly. He was trying to pull something similar to what Samuel had pulled on Adam earlier in the day.

The same trick won’t work twice…-Fallon thought. Quickly she sped up, and moved right in front of Lucas, cutting off any chance he had to over take her then. Lucas tried to swerve and try again but each time Fallon would shift to the same side as him.

As Fallon reached the bumps with Lucas in tow, she slowed down. Christopher had told her that the very first time she had tried them, and she had beaten the others that time too. Lucas sped up and took lead. Fallon sped up after the first few, and saw Lucas get through to the plain track. Fallon wasn’t too far behind.

As she finished the bumps she was tailing him. Fallon sped up along side of Lucas’ Accord. She wasn’t going to cut him off. She was going to leave him in her dust. When Fallon didn’t go in front of Lucas after gaining some ground, Lucas tried to win back his lead. Fallon wasn’t going to relent any time soon.

Fallon reached the wet track minutes before Lucas did. The first time she had tried this part of the track with the water on, Christopher had been with her. Fallon had loved the water. She had had her windows opened, and the scent of water had been wonderful.

This time however, Fallon kept her windows closed. She knew it wouldn’t be aerodynamic for her windows to be open while racing. It would create drag, causing her to go slower, and most like result in her loss.

Fallon got off the wet track slightly before Lucas. He had caught up with her again. This time however she was not going to lose her lead.

Fallon rounded the corners, and kept speed. She was going to finish the race first; she wasn’t going to lose to Lucas…or his Honda Accord. She was determined.

Fallon and Lucas started the uneven terrain almost at the same time. Lucas had done a nice job of catching up. The only advantage Fallon had was all the times she had been on the track. Fallon maneuvered the Charger through the rocky track. I’m going to have to get Chris to look over the shocks after these races are done…- Fallon worried.

Fallon and Lucas were still to close together as they got to last stretch of the track. From here it was clear driving to the finish line. Fallon could see Lucas try to maneuver his car to cut her off again. Not on my watch…- She thought. Fallon pressed the accelerator cutting Lucas off. This time Fallon pushed the Charger to keep gaining speed.

Fallon didn’t chance a glance at Lucas. The finish line was in sight. Fallon could hear Lucas pushing the Accord to go faster. Fallon pressed of the accelerator gently this time. Her Charger didn’t need much of a push to fulfill her demands. Fallon could see the checkered flag. It was nearing her. Fallon’s exhilaration returned she pushed her car further.

Fallon passed the finish line before Lucas could. Fallon relaxed. She started to notice the pain in her hands. She had been clenching the steering wheel tightly…a little too tightly.

Fallon slowed down and veered on to the grass. As she shut of the engine, she saw Lucas park nearby. Fallon just sat in her Charger, absorbing it all in. Fallon let out an explosive breath of relief. She had made it across the line first. She would be in the next round! She actually had a chance at winning the final!

It took a knock on Fallon’s window to bring her out her reverie. Fallon looked up to see Christopher grinning. He opened the door, the rush of sound hit Fallon unexpectedly. The crowd’s cheers and shouts could be heard, as well as Craig speaking over them. “So I guess you might just end up facing me!” He told her, she could see his excitement. “Yea, I told you so.” Fallon said to him. He moved away as she got out of the car. He shut the door behind her. “Hey Fallon! That was an awesome race, but one of these days we're going to have to have a re-match.” It was Lucas, soft spoken Lucas, who had troubled her on the track by trying to cut her.

It was quiet for a moment. The other guys waited for her to speak. “Yea, definitely. We’re going to have to. Just do me a favor and bring a different car.” She said, as he came over. He held out his hand. Fallon shook it. Lucas was one of those guys whom Fallon would love to go against, he seemed to change his method from practice and adapt tricks he had seen during the day, which made him a worthy competitor in Fallon’s eyes. The others around them all praised them or razzed them.

These first set of heats had been the easy part. Fallon, Christopher, Samuel, Aidan, Adrian, and Dallas, headed for the table at which Craig was seated. This is where the races got harder. There would be three sets of races…which meant two of the racers would be facing Dallas and Adrian. The two of them were like unknowns in an equation. No one really knew how to face them.

As Fallon walked with them to the table, where their names would be drawn, she sincerely hoped that she would make it to the final.