All That We Could Be

Chapter Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Three

Time had passed too fast. Both Fallon and Christopher were still at a loss to understand what had happened merely an hour and a half ago. Fallon clenched the wheel of her Charger, trying to think clearly about what had taken place.

The six of them had gone to Craig to find out who they were racing against. He had drawn out names as the races happened. First he had picked out Adrian and Christopher. Christopher hadn’t stood a chance against his older brother. Adrian had kept a large distance between them, throughout the whole race. Christopher couldn’t have over taken him, there had been no chance.

With Christopher defeated, Craig announced the next pair. The whole time Fallon hoped she wouldn’t have to face Dallas. He was completely out of her league. After watching Adrian fully annihilate Christopher, Fallon knew if she faced Dallas, she would be finished. Fallon couldn’t believe her luck when it was Samuel who had wound up against Dallas. That left her facing Aidan.

Aidan had made sure going against him would be no easy feat. After Dallas pretty much ran Samuel of the course, Fallon’s nerves had given her hell. She had dreaded the wait for the starting pistol. Once they had started Fallon done everything in her power to make sure she finished first. Swerving in front of Aidan, giving him a hard time to get in front of her. Admittedly, she did resort to playing slightly dirty. She had almost lost the race. Aidan had almost over taken her at the uneven terrain. Scared about losing the race, she had almost nudged his car. She had gotten away from him before actually hitting him, he had slowed down, and she sped up and over took him. After the race, Aidan had laughed it off…while Fallon apologized profusely…she had no idea what had come over her…actually she knew it was her utter dislike for losing.

In the end, there were only three of them left. Adrian, Dallas, and Fallon. Fallon knew she was out of her league to be even facing those two. Their skill surpassed her own by a million times. She was saddened that it wasn’t Christopher that she was facing. He had wished her luck before she had gotten back into her car for the final. She could tell he was a bit put off about not being in the final.

The sun was still shining brightly on them. It was a little bit past three. The crowd had stayed strong surprisingly…probably because of the refreshments that were being provided.

Fallon and her Charger were at the starting line, sandwiched between a Mitsubishi Lancer and an Audi A4. Why didn’t I just let Aidan win…- thought Fallon for the millionth time. Waiting for the starting pistol was starting to make Fallon lose her mind. She was already unnerved by her competitors. It’s just for charity…this isn’t a real race…-Fallon tried to relax herself.

The wait was becoming excruciatingly painful. Where the hell is that guy?...- Fallon wondered. She looked around quickly to see where the man with the starting pistol had gone. He couldn’t have just disappeared. Fallon found him, he was walking back from the table where Craig had been seated. The pistol in his hand.

Fallon tensed. They were a few short moments away from starting the race. She started the Charger’s engine. The other two on either side of her did the same. Fallon took a deep breath, and blew it out explosively. This was it…the moment she had been waiting all day for.

The starter took his position. Holding the pistol above and away from his head. Fallon watched in reluctant anticipation. Her foot on the accelerator. Her stomach full of butterflies. She was starting to feel queasy…if they didn’t start soon she wouldn’t be able to last.

No sooner had she thought this, the gun shot sounded. Fallon quickly accelerated. She was no match for Adrian, who had already gotten in front of her. Dallas was to her right. Fallon urged her Charger to go faster. “Come on, come on!” She shouted contritely, as Dallas looked ready to pull over in front of her. She didn’t let him. Fallon sped up.

Adrian wasn’t too far ahead of her. Fallon pushed her Charger to move faster. They were going to be reaching the bumps soon. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Dallas gain speed until he was coming up by her left side. Fallon watched in horror as his car was getting closer to her left side. He was going to swipe her!

Fallon quickly turned the steering wheel so the gap between them grew larger. She was nearing the safety boards. Dallas was going to pass her. There was nothing she could do without driving off the course.

When she had tried that on Aidan, Fallon had made sure not to get that close. Dallas had been about to run her off the course. Anger flooded through her veins.
Fallon got off the bumps, and was placing last. Dallas wasn’t far from her. “Target number one.” She muttered. Speeding up, Fallon was pretty much tailing him. This time she pulled up along side of him. They were neck and neck.

It was time to give him a taste of his own medicine. Fallon swerved her car, hoping that Dallas would think she was going to hit him. It worked! He swerved away to avoid contact. Fallon tried again. This time she swerved a little closer. It had the right affect. Dallas started to lose speed. Fallon drifted in front of him. She hoped to block any chance of him regaining his lead.

Adrian was further ahead. Fallon could see his A4 nearing the next part of the track. Dallas however was close behind, swerving left and right to syke her out. It was working. Each time he drifted to either side of her, she followed…trying to not give him a chance to move ahead of her.

Dallas’s moves were becoming more erratic as they headed onto the wet track. Here any stupid move would be costly. Adrian was already through half of it. Fallon regained speed. Dallas had stopped drifting behind her.

Fallon had made up her mind. She was going to try and catch up to Adrian. Fallon focused.

Adrian was not making that feat easy. Fallon was managing to get close enough to tail him. It had taken her a while to even get to that point. Dallas was still behind her by a little.

Fallon drifted off to one side of Adrian. She was going to use his brother’s tactics against him. Slowly she drifted off to the other side, being careful not to hit him. She sped up, and swerved close, falling back soon enough. Adrian didn’t flinch. She sped up, trying to close the gap but he would move right in front of her. Blocking her path.

“Urgh!” Fallon let out in frustration. The uneven track was putting more distance between them. Fallon tried to keep close. As they got back on to the plain track, Fallon tried again.

Fallon drove up to his left side. She drove close again, but before she could get any further, Adrian surprised her. He had started to drift close to her. He was going to hit her, nudge her off the track and she would hit the boards.

She dropped speed, moved away as fast as she could, her hands clenched on the steering wheel frantically turning to get away from being hit.

Adrian had speed away.

The finish line neared, Fallon knew it was over. As Dallas tried to cut her off once more, “Oh no you don’t…” Fallon muttered. She blocked him once more, before driving over the finish line.

Fallon slowed down as she neared the grassy area where the others waited. Stopping her car under one of the big trees, Fallon shut off the engine. Fallon could see the guys congratulating Adrian and Dallas. Fallon unclenched her hands from the wheels. The feeling of loss washed over her.

It was just a race. Fallon calmed herself down. Defeat had never been easy for her to handle. Fallon looked into the rear view mirror. Making sure that she looked alright. Fallon got out of the car gracefully. It was time to present the checks, she would deal with her sense of loss later.

With a slight smile planted on her face, she faced the rest of the guys. “So Fallon, how is it finally being defeated…” Came a voice behind her. Fallon turned sharply. It was only Christopher, he stood behind her grinning. She had to smile back. “Not bad, at least I didn’t get defeated in the semi final.” She ribbed him. Christopher gave her a warm hug, they lingered awkwardly as they let go. Fallon didn’t pay too much attention. Something else had grabbed her attention.

Adrian had called her, they all were heading to give the checks. Fallon hurried along after getting razzed by Alex and Aidan. Although she may have lost, Fallon knew that they had collectively won in giving Phil’s memory a proper tribute, and giving the charities some help.