All That We Could Be

Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

Fallon couldn’t believe she was actually going to go through with this. She still was in awe that Cheryl had done this without knowing that Fallon had wanted the same thing.

August had come with much anticipation on Fallon’s part. The second week had been going far too slowly for Fallon’s liking. With the tour over, Fallon had finally decided to go to a Manchester United game. The funny part was that Cheryl had gotten season tickets without her knowing…and there were passes for them to go meet the players.

Once Fallon had seen this, she did not want to go through with it. It took a few days of major convincing on Cheryl’s part until Fallon relented. She may have wanted to go see a game…but meeting the players had not been on her list to do…as much as she had wanted to see Daniel…maybe it was better not to open old wounds? What if Miguel had been stringing her along? He hadn’t exactly cared what happened to her the first time…so why would he care now?

A whole new set of possibilities started to pop into Fallon’s mind. Miguel might have been conspiring against her…but sometimes even Fallon felt as though part of her was conspiratorial against her good kinder self.

Fallon sighed heavily once more. She was sitting on the steps waiting for Cheryl. They would be going together…but separately. Fallon would go home after the game, while Cheryl had to go to Lively! to finish some paper work.

Fallon had chosen to wear her ‘Ronaldo’ jersey along with black capris and a Manchester United scarf and hat. It was too warm to wear sneakers so she wore her favorite black ballet style flats. Fallon could feel the butterflies in her stomach, her nerves were killing her.

Today Manchester United would be facing Inter Milan. It was going to be an exciting exhibition match. Fallon’s feelings had been split into two. One part of her was nervous about the possibility of her meeting Daniel…the other part of her was excited to be watching the match.

“Cheryl! Anytime before I’m fifty!” Fallon called into the house. Cheryl had been taking her sweet time getting ready. The match was due to start at 6:30pm. It was already 5:25pm. “I’m coming! Let me just get my bag.” Cheryl called back. Fallon sighed…Cheryl and her huge bag were inseparable. Fallon got up to check her pockets, making sure she had her wallet, cell phone, and keys. Cheryl would always remark how un-lady like that was. Fallon just didn’t heed her words. At least she got ready faster than Cheryl most of the time.

Annoyed Fallon called out again. “You know by the time we get there, we won’t be able to find any parking.” She said. Cheryl came out at that moment. “Okay, I’m here. Let’s go.” She said, Cheryl locked the door and checked it. The two of them headed for their cars and left for Old Trafford.

Once they arrived, it took Fallon and Cheryl some time to find their seats. It was worth it in the end. They had an excellent view of the pitch, and the distance wasn’t too bad either.

“We have these for the entire season?” Fallon asked in awe. “Yep…get used to it.” Cheryl replied. “How did you get these?” Fallon asked in amusement. “You know how the club and the players have a deal with us? Well this was included. My parents and Keith have tickets as well. My parents probably won’t use them as much, so we can probably bring along Chris and William.” Cheryl told her, as they settled in for the game.

It felt as though no time had passed while Cheryl and Fallon talked. Soon the players were coming out from the tunnel in two separate lines. Manchester United players were wearing their home shirts, while Inter Milan players were wearing their away shirts.

Fallon looked for the number 27 shirt. Most of the players she liked were playing. Ronaldo, Vidic, Nani, Giggs, and Van der Sar to name a few; were all on the field. The captains of both teams shook hands before the coin flip. Inter Milan would get the ball. Fallon watched but still couldn’t find Daniel, not until Cheryl pointed him out.

“Look, there’s Daniel! Over there!” Cheryl said to Fallon, she moved Fallon over to where she saw him. At once Fallon’s stomach flipped. All the nervousness that had left her for a while, now returned with a vengeance.

Fallon watched Daniel carefully. He was completely immersed in the game. Fallon saw how well he melded with the team. Their tight passes seemed to be driving the other team crazy. Fallon watched intently, the atmosphere of the crowd was always sparkling with electricity; it was making her even more excited.

Fallon watched as Ronaldo scored the first goal. She even joined the crowd in cheering loudly. Cheryl watched on in amusement as Fallon sat back down. “Enjoying yourself?” Cheryl asked. “You have no idea…it’s been a while since we went to a game together.” Fallon said her eyes were still on the field. She was paying attention to the ball…which was with one of the Inter players.

The man doing the commentary was making Fallon nervous. She had never been able to bear them. It was hard enough just to watch a game…but to hear someone analyze it along with you and get your hopes up every time there was a near goal…it was heart wrenching for Fallon.

By the end of the first half Manchester United had scored two goals. The first one had been Ronaldo’s, while the second one had been by Giggs’ on a penalty shot. Inter Milan had also scored one goal. Fallon had not been too happy about that.

As soon as the second half started; a change of pace could be noticed. Time started to pass more quickly. Fallon didn’t like this. She watched as the players ran the field, trying to create an opportunity for a goal. Yet no one was letting their guard down…not even for a minute.

It wasn’t until fifteen minutes were left that Manchester United got a break. Ronaldo was barreling down the right flank with the ball, which he passed to Giggs. Giggs in turn passed it. Fallon could not believe her eyes. “Santos scores!” Thousands of loud cheers erupted in the venue. Daniel had shot the ball straight into the net, past the keeper.

Fallon and Cheryl both joined in the cheering. With only fifteen minutes left, Manchester United didn’t look as though they would be threatened by Inter Milan. In all fairness both teams were something fierce.

After the game, much to Fallon’s dislike, she was dragged to meet the players by Cheryl. Fallon had half a mind to grab her seat and hold it for dear life…but Cheryl was not taking or hearing any of it. Cheryl marched a defeated Fallon to see the players.

Fallon was a right little mess. Scared because she didn’t know how to react to Daniel, but anxious to see him. Fallon looked around the room once she was in. No where in all the people or players could she see Daniel.

“Looking for a certain someone?” Asked Cheryl; from behind her. Fallon jumped. She had forgotten Cheryl was there. “No…not really.” Fallon told her; looking a bit sheepish. “I don’t think Daniel came in yet.” Cheryl told her, with an all knowing smile. Fallon scowled at this.

By the time Fallon left, she had gotten her jersey signed by her favorite player. Ronaldo. She was walking through the tunnel; she wanted to see the field for herself.

The tunnel had quite a few signs and portraits running along it. Distracted, Fallon walked as she read them, walking into someone.

“Sorry.” Fallon muttered. “It’s okay…I should have been paying attention…oh…hello Fallon.” Said a calm voice.

Fallon’s head snapped around to see Daniel standing in front of her. Her heart was hammering out a rhythm which she was sure he could hear. The wind had been knocked out of her upon hearing his voice. Fallon shook her head lightly, trying to clear it.

“Hi…” She managed lamely. “How are you?” Daniel asked her with a smile. Fallon looked at him. Many months had passed, but he still looked generally the same. His hair was a bit longer, he hadn’t cut it apparently…and he had a five o’clock shadow growing. His blue eyes still sparkled with the same intensity; they were just like she remembered them. The team jersey looked as though it was meant to be worn by him.

“I’m alright. How are you?” Fallon said, after a little pause. “I’m fine.” He replied. They stood for a moment…in awkward silence. Before Daniel could speak, Fallon piped up. “Congratulations on the goal. It was amazing. I guess it’s a little late to congratulate you on getting signed.” She said to him. Daniel laughed a little at this. “Thank you. But it’s never too late to congratulate me on getting signed.” He told her with a smile. There was another pause.

“So did you have a nice tour?” It was Daniel who asked her a question this time. Fallon was surprised that he had even heard about that. Then again, he went to Lively! he was bound to hear about it. “Yea, it was great.” She told him. “I liked the songs that you chose for the tour. They seemed to suit the mood of the crowd.” He told her. At this Fallon’s jaw made to drop, luckily it didn’t. “You came to see the show?” Fallon asked him. Daniel looked amused. “Yea, I liked the songs…and it was fun.” Daniel told her.

Fallon tried to compute this. Why would he come to a show? More specifically…why would he come to her show? It didn’t make any sense.

Before she could say anything it was Daniel who spoke. “You know…I would like it if we both could hang out. Maybe at Lively!...I see Cheryl around from time to time…so I was just wondering if maybe you would want to hang out or do something?” He asked her.

“I…” Fallon started, but before she could get all the words out, a squeal came out from behind her. Fallon turned on her heels to see a girl running up to Daniel. Upon reaching Daniel…who looked shocked at this point…the girl wrapped her arms around him and planted a kiss on him.

Fallon stood frozen. Ice pulsed through her veins. I should’ve known better…-Fallon thought. The girl had let go of Daniel. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you! Where did you go off to?” She asked him. “Well I was on the field after the game…” Daniel trailed off. He looked uncomfortable.

“Umm…Fallon this is Lénia… Lénia this is Fallon…” He introduced them, as he shifted uncomfortably where he stood.

Fallon tried to mask her hurt…she tried to smile. “Nice to meet you?” She said…making it sound like a question. Fallon felt like kicking herself. How could I have been so stupid?- She wondered.

The three of them stood quietly, until Lénia spoke. “I can’t believe that I’m meeting you. I loved your concert. It was the best show I’ve seen so far.” Lénia gushed. Fallon mumbled a thank you to her. So that’s why he came…-Fallon thought, it made sense now.

They stood a moment more. “I should be going.” Fallon said. “It was nice to meet you.” Lénia told her. Fallon bit her lips. “Likewise.” She managed.

Swiftly Fallon turned to leave. “Fallon wait!” Came a call from behind her. Fallon was not in the mood to listen. She sped up and kept on walking out of the tunnel and managed to get into the parking lot.

As she unlocked her car, Fallon reached for her cell phone and called Cheryl. When Cheryl answered Fallon told her she would be getting home late. “Don’t wait up for me. I’ll be at the track.” Fallon told her.

Not waiting for an answer Fallon hung up. She turned off her phone and put it into the glove compartment. She would not be catering to anyone’s will tonight.

Fallon drove to the track, upon entering Fallon didn’t feel like racing. It was odd, not wanting to run away from her feelings. Yet some where along the line, Fallon didn’t feel like running…at least not tonight.

Fallon parked the Charger onto the greenery. The air was warm. Night had fallen. Fallon got out of her car. She was about to sit on the hood when she remembered. Fallon had packed blankets in the trunk before tour started. She hadn’t even removed them.

Fallon opened the trunk and got out two of the three blankets she had packed. She spread on the hood. After she clambered on top, she spread the other one over herself.

Fallon lay back on the windshield, staring up at the sky. It was a clear night; the stars were shining brightly overhead.

“No chance now…” Fallon muttered. It was clear that she didn’t have any chance now to win Daniel back. He seemed to move on. Mystery solved…-Fallon thought. Now she knew why Miguel hadn’t been seeing Daniel. Daniel was probably with Lénia. Fallon stared at the stars; it had been stupid to think she would have a shot after so many months.

“Hello there…how come you aren’t barrelling down the track like you usually are?” It was Christopher. He walked up to her. Fallon laughed weakly. “I don’t really feel like racing.” She told him. Christopher motioned for her to move over. “Mind if I join you?” He asked her. Fallon scooted over to give him space. “There’s space.” She told him. He got on more gracefully than her.

Fallon shifted the blanket over both of them. Luckily it was large enough. As Christopher lay back on the windshield he spoke. “So what are you doing?” He asked Fallon. “Nothing. Just trying to get my mind off things.” She told him vaguely.

“Okay…what things?” He asked. “It’s nothing really…” Fallon said quietly. She didn’t need to make him as miserable as she was. “You can tell me Fallon. I know you’re upset about something. It’s written all over your face.” Christopher persisted.

Fallon was quiet. “Come on Fallon, spit it out.” He said, nudging her. Fallon sighed.

“I went to a Manchester United game.” She told him. “So what’s so bad about that?” Christopher asked. “Nothing.” Fallon answered him. “Then why so glum?” He asked her. “I saw…Daniel.” She said, finally. “Your ex?” Christopher asked. “Yea…wait how did you know?” Fallon asked him. She had never told Christopher about Daniel.

“Wikipedia…it knows all.” Christopher grinned. Fallon gritted her teeth. “You ran my name through that website?” Fallon said she shook her head in disbelief. Before Christopher could answer, Fallon held up her hand. “Don’t tell me…I don’t want to know.” She said, smiling weakly.

“So what happened when you saw Daniel?” Christopher asked, still grinning. “Nothing…I just didn’t expect him to have a girlfriend…or that I would meet said girlfriend…” She told him, sullenly. “So what’s wrong with that?” Christopher asked her. “I just didn’t think I had run out of chances…that there might not even be the slightest possibility of getting him back.” She had finally said her fears aloud.

“I’m sure you’ll get another chance with him…but I thought it was Daniel that left you? So why are you trying to get him back?” Christopher asked, he didn’t back down. Fallon didn’t want to hurt him…after all things had finally gotten back to normal. When Fallon didn’t say anything, Christopher pushed her more.

“It’s okay…you can say it.” He told her. Fallon shook her head, but he continued. “I know that you have feelings for this guy. Tell me why is it that you love him?” He asked her. The word had shocked her. Was it that obvious? Did everyone already know how deep her feelings were for Daniel?

“When we met…he was really funny. He actually overheard me talking to myself…I had been reading ‘Twilight’ and I said something about Edward not existing…and out of no where Daniel answered.” She told Christopher with a smile. “He knew how it was to be working somewhere without family…just to help them…He didn’t care about me being in the public eye and at first he didn’t even care about the paparazzi. He liked the books I liked…he liked me for me…I don’t know…it was like I finally found the right person for me…I’ve never really bothered with guys…but he came along…and I thought I would finally get my happily ever after…my fairy tale ending.” Fallon trailed off. “I guess I was wrong…”

“Fallon…I’m sure you weren’t wrong…maybe in time you both will be together again. Time will tell.” Christopher said trying to comfort her. He squeezed her hand.

Fallon rested her head on his shoulder. Christopher wrapped an arm around her. It was a few moments before Fallon realized why…her eyes were blurring…tears had started to fall from them onto Christopher’s shoulder. Fallon could see she could no longer keep her feelings inside.

“You probably think I’m such an idiot to be crying over something like this.” Fallon said with a small laugh. “No, I just think you’re tired of always holding it in.” He told her wisely. “Besides…I understand.” He said quietly.

Soon the tears started to slow down. Christopher talked to her about other things, and soon enough Fallon started to feel a little better as they talked.

It was a while later that Fallon couldn’t keep her eyes open, with her head resting on Christopher’s shoulder, she let sleep take over her. The last thing she felt was Christopher’s warm lips kissing her forehead.