All That We Could Be

Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Forty Eight

Christmas time brought more joy. Fallon was happy that her family had come to stay over for the winter holidays. They would be meeting Daniel on Christmas Eve. Fallon and Cheryl had invited Christopher, Keith, and William to join them for dinner. Keith had agreed to come. Christopher would be staying home for the holidays so he had also agreed to come; William on the other hand had to decline the offer, he was going to Venice with his parents, it was a family tradition.

Along with her family coming over, Fallon had gotten another surprise. Her cousins had decided to visit too. Ava, Sophia, Maria, and even Ava’s husband Ethan; they had stunned Fallon when she had answered the door.

The house was full of joy and cheer as Christmas Eve approached. Fallon was nervous to be introducing Daniel to her family. It wasn’t that they wouldn’t approve of him…they would…but it was the first time she had to do such a thing.

“So Fallon, when’s he coming?” Maria asked, as she helped Fallon set the table. “He who?” Fallon asked, she had been momentarily distracted; her sister had managed to get Christopher to give her a piggy back ride. He was walking around the living room and spinning in circles with her sister cheering loudly. Fallon saw Sophia watching in amusement from the couch.

“You know, when do I get to meet Prince Charming?” Maria had asked. “Soon enough…and you shouldn’t call him that. His name is Daniel.” Fallon said. Maria smirked. “Don’t worry I wouldn’t dream of saying that to his face…just when he’s not around…behind his back…that sort of thing.” She told Fallon. Fallon glared at her. “Don’t or I will…” Fallon was interrupted by the door bell ringing.

Everyone froze. Normally at a time like this chaos would ensue; just to see who was at the door. Usually her brothers would have been running. This time, however, everyone knew who it was. All eyes were on Fallon.

“Alright, alright…I’ll answer it.” She said. “Just act normally please!” She pleaded before heading down the hallway to open the door.

Fallon opened the door slowly. Daniel stood facing the away from the door. His hair and wool jacket was covered in snow flakes. Why does he always get to be the picture of perfection…-Fallon wondered, a smile grew on her lips.

“Hello.” She said walking out the door to meet him; she closed the door part way, as he turned to face her with a smile. “Hello.” He said back. “Ready to meet everyone?” She asked him quietly. “Are you kidding? I was born ready…” He told her with a grin. Before they went inside, Daniel stopped her. “Just one question…” He said, with her hand in his. “Okay, what?” She asked. “Your father isn’t one of those who has rifles to shoot me with…is he?” He asked her. He grinned sheepishly. “No…but he does have a lab…so he could bomb you.” She told him with a grin. “Great…” He muttered weakly; she gave him a quick kiss before pulling him inside behind her.

Daniel took his time taking off his shoes and jacket. He was wearing a dark blue fitted sweater, and black pants. Fallon herself was wearing a dark blue dress, it was knee length and cinched at the waist. How did that happen?…-She thought, as she realized that they matched. When Daniel saw her puzzled look, he smiled as he saw their clothes. “We match.” He commented quietly.

He ran a quick hand through his hair, getting rid of the snow.Fallon couldn’t believe he was nervous. They both walked to the family room where everyone was whispering. As soon as they saw Daniel and Fallon, everyone quieted down. Fallon was a little nervous herself. There they both were in front of her parents, brothers and sister, cousins and brother-in-law, Cheryl and Keith, and Christopher.

“Everyone…this is Daniel.” She said collectively. “Daniel…those are my parents, my brothers and my sister, my cousins and my brother-in-law, and that is Christopher…you already know Cheryl and that’s her fiancé Keith.” She told him as she motioned to each part of her family. She was a little tense at first when no one spoke.

“So you’re the Prince Charming Fallon won’t stop talking about! It’s very nice to finally meet you.” Maria was the first to speak. Fallon could have died. Laughter bubbled around them. Fallon glared at Maria. Maria shrugged, as she grinned back. She’s always known how to break the ice…and embarrass me…-Fallon thought. Daniel squeezed her hand; she looked to see him smiling. Soon enough her family and Daniel were conversing with each other. He seemed to fit in just fine.

Daniel immediately struck a friendship with her siblings. She found him talking to her brothers about soccer, while her little sister had his cell phone and was trying to take pictures with it.

Before long it was time for dinner. They all sat around the living room and dining room, eating and talking together. Christopher, it seemed, had taken to Sophia. She seemed to be smitten with him too. The two of them were talking quietly in a corner. When Fallon noticed, she smiled. She was happy for him to have found someone…even if it was her cousin. Fallon was sitting in between Daniel and Maria. Daniel was in the middle of a conversation with her father.

Daniel and her father had been talking about politics a moment ago, now the conversation veered towards soccer. Fallon had known that would happen, since her father had played for his university soccer team when she was little…he had also gotten injured by one of the players. Her father was quizzing Daniel about the best soccer players, in between mouthfuls of roast chicken and the other foods they had prepared for dinner.

After dinner and dessert, which was a luscious chocolate cake; Fallon stood in a corner and watched as her younger brother and sister tried to get Daniel to play video games with them. They were trying to pull him off of the couch, one holding one arm, the other hold his other arm. Fallon knew he would give in to their demands soon enough, he was just having his fun with them.

Fallon’s mother came to stand behind her. She watched in amusement as the two of them managed to pull Daniel off the couch. They began to march him towards the game room upstairs. “I adore Daniel; he seems to get on well with everyone.” Her mother said. Fallon turned to face her. “No wonder he’s Prince Charming, he’s very good natured. Your father and I can see why you like him.” Fallon’s mother told her. “I think he’s right for you, honey.” Her mother said with a wink before she walked away to join Fallon’s father. Fallon stood there speechless. She had not been expecting that.

Fallon was in the kitchen looking for something to drink, when Christopher found her. “Having a good time?” She asked; she was smirking at him. He started to turn red. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” He told her adamantly. “Really Chris? You can tell me. She is my cousin. I see how you look at her with those puppy dog eyes…” Before Fallon could go on, Christopher had covered her mouth with his hands. “Not so loud! She’ll hear you.” He hissed, as he let go. “I knew it. You like Sophia!” Fallon said in a sing song voice. When Christopher didn’t say anything, Fallon pushed on. “It’s okay, she likes you!” Fallon told him, gleefully. “What? She told you?” He asked her. “No…I read her mind. Of course she told me!” Fallon told him sarcastically. “You won’t mind if I ask her out…will you?” He asked Fallon, nervously. “No, as long as she’s happy, you have nothing to fear.” She told him.

“Great…so how’s everything going? Daniel seems nice enough.” He said to her. The redness was disappearing from his face. Fallon handed him a soft drink. “Everything’s fine. I told you, you would get along with him.” She told him, as she opened her own drink. “Yea, well the same rule applies, He hurts you again…I will find a creative way to maim him.” He told her, his tone serious even though he was grinning. “Please tell me you didn’t say that to him…” Fallon said. “I changed the words a bit…he gets the point. I like him. We’ll get along fine. You have nothing to worry about.” Christopher said, as he came to give Fallon a hug. “Good.” She said simply, as he let her go. Christopher walked back to Sophia. Fallon leaned against the counter as she sipped her drink.

As the festivities started to wind down; they all bade farewell to Christopher and Keith as they left to go home. Fallon had already divided the rooms for her family. Her parents got her room, Ava and Ethan got the guest room upstairs, her brothers and sister had the family room upstairs, Maria and Sophia had the couches in the living room, and Fallon got the library.

With everyone gone to their rooms for the night, Daniel stayed behind to help Fallon clean up. They finished putting away the food and dishes, so Fallon decided to call it a night.

“So where will you be sleeping?” Daniel asked. “In my fortress; the library.” Fallon told him, as they headed down the hall to the basement entrance. “Mind if I keep you company?” He asked. “I don’t mind, but isn’t Miguel going to get lonely?” She turned to face him. “He went back home for the break.” Daniel told Fallon. “You haven’t spoken to him yet, have you?” She asked; she opened the door to the basement. “Not really…but I will when I go home.” He told her. Daniel would be flying to Portugal tomorrow night. “Okay.” She said simply, dropping it at that.

They walked quietly down the stairs; Fallon opened the door to the library and they both went in.

“I still can’t believe how many books you’ve put in here.” Daniel told her as he looked around. “I need to put in more shelves…there’s still a lot of books in boxes.” She told him. He laughed at that. “I don’t think the room could handle any more shelves, Fallon.” Daniel told her. “We’ll see.” She said.

Daniel sat on the bean bag and leaned against the wall, while Fallon was sitting in the chair by her study table. Daniel motioned for her to sit with him. Fallon joined him; she sat next to him, but he pulled her over to sit in front of him. He wrapped his arms around her. She was a little cold so she pulled a blanket over them.

“Do you have to go tomorrow?” She asked him. “Yes, I’ll be back soon. You won’t even notice that I’m gone.” He told her. She could hear the smile in his voice. “How long are you going for?” She asked him, she had turned to look up at him. “Only a few days. I’ll be back before New Year’s.” He told her. “Next time, though, you are going to come with me.” He told her, as he kissed the top of her head. “Why?” She asked him. “I still have to introduce you to my brother and sister.” He told her. “Okay.” She told him, slightly placated about him leaving.

“So, what will you be doing tomorrow?” He asked her. “I don’t know…it’s Boxing Day, my cousins will probably go shopping. I’ll probably stay home and play video games with my sister. Maybe watch a movie. You can come if you like.” She told him. “Sure, then you can see me off at the airport.” He told her. “Alright.” She agreed.

He hugged her closer. “It was nice meeting your family.” He told her. “They like you.” She answered. “You’re father isn’t going to bomb me right?” He asked. Fallon laughed. “No…not yet, both my parents liked you.” She told him. “I think you’re sister is going to kidnap my cell phone.” He told her. “Don’t worry, she won’t get very far.” She told him, snickering.

They talked through the night, laughing about the dinner, planning things to do when Daniel got back. It was well past two in the morning, when Fallon fell asleep in Daniel’s arms. Daniel fell asleep after her, leaning against a wall, his arms carefully wrapped around Fallon.