All That We Could Be

Chapter Forty Nine

Chapter Forty Nine

It was New Year’s Day at last! Fallon was going to be seeing Daniel soon. He had left late night on Boxing Day, to spend some time with his own family in Portugal. He had come back only yesterday night.

Fallon had been excited to see him again. They had agreed to meet at the café near Fallon’s house. Just like the first time…-Fallon thought. Things had started to come full circle for Fallon.

Everything was as it should be, or at least the way she thought it should be. Although there were some things Fallon wished not to happen, still she had grown up quite a bit because of them. With everything that had come her way she had gotten through it.

Instead of dreading what the future held in store for her, like she did a lot of the time; this time Fallon was anticipating it. She would be releasing her sixth album in the fall before taking a year off. This fall would bring in the last year of her undergraduate studies. Starting next year in the fall, she would be studying as a graduate student; much to her parents’ approval.

This year would mark the second year of the charity race, and even Daniel had decided to join in. It had been slightly humorous when he had told Fallon about seeing her race. He had sounded shocked when he told her how it was the last thing he had expected her to be a part of. What was funnier to Fallon was when he sounded worried about Fallon getting hit by none other than Dallas’ car during the final race.

It had also prompted Fallon to question him. “Who would win if we raced?” She had asked him. “You.” He had responded quickly. “Why?” She had asked. “I would let you win. There is no way I’m going to fake hitting you…what if I actually did?” He told her in all seriousness. “I had better hope you’re not in the knock out round against me.” She had told him, with a smile. It was adorable to seem him worried just talking about a hypothetical situation.

There were many things that the New Year was bringing. Cheryl would be getting married in June; while Fallon’s own cousin Maria would be getting married in August.

Cheryl had told a saddened Fallon that she would be moving in with Keith after getting married. Fallon was less than thrilled to be living on her own, but acknowledged that it would be another learning experience…how ever dreadful it may be. Who would keep her sanity in check now? She had wondered.

With so many things starting to change, Fallon could only hope for the best. How much she would be losing, she would gain that much more in experience, knowledge, and skill. At least she hoped she would.

Fallon decided to go to the café early. She wanted to read a little bit. She hadn’t read a good book in a while…the only books she had seen for the last few months had been gargantuan sized text books.

With it snowing lightly outside, Fallon decided to wear black pants and a white knitted sweater/dress. She pulled on her socks and snow boots; and put on her wool coat, hat, scarf, and mitts. It had been really cold earlier that day.

With a book in her hand; Fallon walked to the café. There was no point in driving, since it was so close.

Fallon ordered her hot chocolate and some cookies; she took them to her favourite table upstairs.

She was about an hour and a half early. She ate and drank slowly; there was no need to rush. She didn’t need to go any where; she had all the time in the world. She brushed off her book and began to read. This time she had brought ‘Tithe’. She read it as she sipped her drink and ate.

“Did you get bored with Edward that fast?” Fallon glanced up from her book to see Daniel smiling. She took a peak at her watch. It was ten minutes past six o’clock. “I didn’t even notice you coming.” She told him. “I’m very good at being quiet. So last time it was Edward and now it’s Roiben?” He asked her, he was grinning.

“How’d you know?” She asked him in awe. “I went through your book while you slept; it was the closest one I could reach without waking you up.” He told her. Fallon could feel her cheeks flame. Waking up in Daniel’s arms, Christmas morning, had been a very pleasant surprise. Fallon couldn’t even remember when she had fallen asleep. She did remember being cozy and warm. Daniel laughed in amusement as he watched her blush.

“So how was your trip?” Fallon asked him. “It was good; there was something missing though.” He told her. “Really? What?” She asked, curiously. “You.” He told her simply. “Me? How was I missing? I was right here.” She asked, obliviously. “It would have been more enjoyable with you around. I would have been able to introduce you to my brother and sister…and cause I missed you.” He told her quietly.

That warmed her heart. He was willing to admit he thought of her and missed her while he was with his family. “I missed you too. It’s not the same without you around.” She told him, honestly. They were quiet.

The past year might have torn them apart; it had also brought them closer together in the end. It was easier to set the dynamic of their relationship this time. No longer did they worry about the media or confrontations by the photographers. This time they knew it would be best if they took care of each other first before worrying about everything else that came with the careers of one another.

“Aren’t you going to ask me if I brought you back anything?” Daniel asked with a grin. “I already know you did, since you’re asking me to ask you.” She replied. When Daniel didn’t produce anything, Fallon got curious. “You’re holding out on me…how fair is that?” She said to him. Daniel only laughed at this; still there was nothing in his hand. “The suspense is killing me! You can’t just tell me you brought something and not show it.” She told him. “I never said I brought anything.” He told her with another wide grin. That’s true…-Fallon thought.

“Okay fine, be that way.” Fallon decided to go back to her book. “Alright I’ll show you.” Daniel said, finally giving in. “Yes!” Fallon said victoriously. He had a bag with him that he put on the table. Fallon hadn’t noticed it when she first saw him.

“I brought you this.” Daniel told her as he pulled out a brown bear that was holding the Portuguese flag. “That is very cute.” She told him as she took the bear. It had lovely soft fur; she hugged it. “Oh and I found this.” He showed her a replica of his jersey for Manchester United. “Highly amusing.” She said with a grin. “It’s even signed.” He told her. He was laughing. Fallon flipped the jersey over to see that he was right. It was signed, by Daniel none the less. “I’m going to your games, aren’t I?” She asked him. “What gave it away?” He said with another laugh. “I also got these.” He handed her an envelope. She opened to find plane tickets. “We can go during your reading week or in the summer if you like.” He told her. “That sounds awesome.” She told him, she was going to be looking forward to their trip.

Fallon looked at the bear once more. It was adorable. “There is just one more thing.” He told her. Fallon looked up. Daniel seemed hesitant to show her. “What?” She asked him.

Daniel produced a small box in his hand. Fallon looked visibly shocked. Her heart had stopped at the sight of the box. She felt as though she had the wind knocked right out of her.

“I know I only just got you back. I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m not asking you to marry me just yet. One day I hope I will get that chance. All I am asking you for now…actually I’m not asking you anything…” He told her. He had gotten up. He knelt on the ground beside her.

Fallon gained her speech soon enough to ask. “What are you telling me then?” She asked him. He looked up at her. His blue eyes were like crystal. “Fallon, I just want to tell you that I love you. The last few months without you were killing me. When I went to Portugal, I would look at something and it would remind me of you.” He started to tell her.

“I know I can’t make it up to you for the past; but I know that I can’t be without you in my future. What I’m trying to say is that…you know how a circle goes on for infinity…well my love for you is infinite…” He opened the box to reveal a ring.

The ring itself was beautiful; it was silver metal with a blue stone, matching Daniel’s eyes. The stone was in the shape of a heart.

“I know what I can live without…but I can’t live my life without you. The only question I’m asking you…well I just want to know if you feel the same.” He told her.

Fallon sat there wordlessly. Didn’t he know that what he was asking for had been his all along? She wondered. Her heart had been his the very first time they met. She hadn’t been able to take him out of her system.

She was close to tears over what he had said…and she didn’t want to show him those. In a moment the battle with her tears was lost, as little droplets fell from her eyes.

Daniel wiped away her tears, Fallon was smiling through them. “Daniel…I love you…I know there isn’t any one else I want except you. I would trade anything just to keep you. So yes…I do feel the same way.” She told him through tears.

Daniel breathed a sigh of relief. “So do you accept the ring? As a token of my love?” He asked her with a smile. He had taken out the ring; Fallon could now see the engraving. It was around the stone. On one side his name, then came the heart stone, then came her name; written in elegant script. Fallon couldn’t speak. She nodded, her answer being yes.

Fallon couldn’t have asked for something more special than what he had given her. His heart.

Daniel slipped on the ring on her finger. “Forever?” He asked her. “Forever.” She promised. Daniel brushed away her remaining tears and rose to level with her. Fallon leaned in towards him, as they sealed their promise with a kiss.