All That We Could Be

Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

(Ten Years Later)

“I’m never going to understand why you love hot chocolate…even in the summer.” Daniel said, exasperatedly. “Hot chocolate is good any time of the year! It’s not just for the winter!” Fallon retorted. “When you think of winter, what are the first few things that pop into your head? I think of snowmen, snow ball fights, chestnuts roasting over a fire, oh and hot chocolate!” Daniel told her smartly. Fallon pushed him away lightly.

“I’m kidding…I don’t begrudge you for your cravings of hot chocolate during the hottest months of the year.” He told her with a laugh. Though she had pouted at him, soon enough Fallon gave in and she laughed along with him.

Fallon was sitting on the kitchen counter as she watched Daniel make hot chocolate for her. For some reason her own brew never tasted as good as when he made it. She watched as he moved away to get chocolate out of the freezer and shred some over the cream of her drink.

“Here you are your highness.” He said as he bowed, with the cup in front of him. “Thank you, but shouldn’t you taste test it first. The queen can’t die because of some error.” She told him slyly. “Right you are!” Daniel took a sip, before handing it to Fallon. “See its fine, nothing to worry about.” He told her, with a grin. “Good, so I can drink it after all.” She said, happily taking the cup from him and drinking it. As soon as she had taken the first sip, Daniel had gagged. “Real funny, Daniel.” She told him.

“I watched Iano do it to Drea…she wouldn’t touch her food after that. So when she left, Iano finished her dessert. It was funny.” Daniel said with a grin. He was standing right in front of her now. “I knew it! You want some hot chocolate too! You just won’t admit it!” Fallon laughed. “No!” He protested. “I just wanted to see if you would be put off.” He told her. “Why would I be put off? I love chocolate!” She told him.

Daniel raised an eyebrow. “More than you love this?” He asked. “Than what?” She had been about to ask, except she was interrupted. Daniel kissed her. “Okay, fine…you win…not more than that…but still…” She put her mug away and kissed him back. It was a few moments before they were interrupted.

There were shouts coming from the backyard. Fallon and Daniel drew apart. Back to reality…-Fallon thought, with a sigh. She gave Daniel a quick kiss, and hopped down from the counter. Daniel took her hand as they walked to the source of the commotion.

“It was such as smart idea bringing them here to Funchal every summer.” Fallon teased, as they walked. “I stand by the idea. At least their learning my language when they’re with my brother and my sister and the kids. Not to mention they get to learn how other people live.” He told her with a smile.

“As much as I agree with the fact that their learning how other people live; I don’t think your brother teaching them how to communicate using smoke signals…is learning a language. That is not learning a language.” Fallon snickered.

Daniel laughed at this. “It’s all that comes with being a part of the family, Mrs. Santos.” He told her, as he rubbed the diamond ring and band on the ring finger of her left hand. Daniel wrapped an arm around her. “Remind me why I married you?” Fallon asked him with a grin. “Because you love me and you know that I love you.” He told her, kissing her lightly. “Lucky you!” She told him cheekily. “What can I say; I am a very lucky man!” He told her smartly, before Fallon gave him a kiss.

They reached the yard. There found their two youngest children arguing over something, as the older child sat on his soccer ball watching. As soon as the children saw their parents they rushed to explain their side of the story.

Andrea and Cristiano were both four and a half years old; they were twins. Cristiano had been born five minutes before Andrea. They both had a mix of their parents auburn and brown hair, and their eyes were green. Fallon had found this interesting, since both Fallon and Daniel didn’t have green eyes. It was easy to explain though; it was from their father’s side…since Daniel’s mother had green eyes.

Their personalities were the polar opposite of each other. Andrea was gentle, where as Cristiano’s energetic nature reminded Fallon about her brothers.

“Mommy! Iano won’t let me play soccer! He says I can’t kick!” Andrea complained as she took hold of her mother’s leg. That explained why their oldest child was sitting on the soccer ball rather than playing with it.

“Mommy! She can’t play! She always falls when she kicks! Then she cries!” Cristiano retorted. He was standing away from his sister, with his arms crossed. He was just as stubborn as his sister. Yet what he was saying was true, Andrea usually got hurt when she played with her brothers, whether it was because she fell while trying to kick the ball, or if she tripped, it was better if Fallon gave Andrea another activity to do.

“Andrea, why don’t you come with me? We’ll find the bubbles, so you can blow them outside.” Fallon said taking her daughter’s hand. “Okay…” Andrea said, slightly placated.

“Dad! Do you want to play with me?” Their oldest son had gotten off the ball to ask his father. “Sure Ricardo, come on Iano.” Daniel said as he led his younger son to where Ricardo was…before Cristiano could do something to set off his sister.

Ricardo was seven, and was in the second grade. He could have been mistaken as a younger Daniel, but he had his mother’s hazel eyes. Most days Fallon had to drag Ricardo inside to do his homework and completing his reading times for class…but he had surprised her when he would show her his report cards he had mostly A’s and a few B’s. The first time Fallon asked him how he was doing so well. He had shrugged and had said, “I finish most of the work at school…so I can play outside.” He had taken the soccer ball from her hand, as she stood there stunned.

His personality was somewhat of a puzzle. He was quiet, but when Ricardo was asked a question he would give a thoughtful answer. Much deeper than one would expect from a seven year old. Fallon would sometimes catch him reading short stories, or going through books in their library. The fact that he enjoyed what she loved, endeared him to her.

Fallon came back with Andrea; a bottle of bubbles and a wand in the little girl’s hands. Fallon sat on the porch with Andrea in her lap. The little girl started to blow bubbles. Fallon popped them, as they watched the boys play. Each pop brought a round of giggles from Andrea. Fallon tried to catch them for Andrea; it amused her daughter to see how long they would last before popping.

“Mommy, can I make smoke when we go home? Uncle Hugo said he can see our signals from anywhere in the world! He said he’ll come for us right when he sees them.” Andrea told Fallon. Fallon gritted her teeth, Hugo always did this. He was Daniel’s older brother, and he knew how to amuse kids…which sometimes drove Fallon crazy.

All the same, Fallon loved both of Daniel’s siblings. Hugo was good natured and enjoyed playing with kids. He had four of his own; two boys and two girls. Daniel’s younger sister, Eliana, was kind and gentle, but also firm. She made sure to keep Hugo in line. She had three kids of her own; two girls and a boy.

“Honey, Uncle Hugo won’t be able to see the smoke signals from home, the wind will blow them away…and the neighbours won’t like them. So it’s best if we don’t do them, okay?” She asked Andrea. “Okay…” Andrea agreed.

“Mom! Come play!” Ricardo said running past his father with the ball. “Yea, come on Fallon.” Daniel said. “What about Andrea?” Fallon asked. “Come here sweet heart. You can ride on my shoulders.” Daniel called to his daughter. “Okay!” Andrea said happily. She closed her bubbles and put them off to the side, before running to her father. Daniel squatted so that she could clamber onto his back; he then pulled her onto his shoulders. “Hold on tight, okay?” He said to Andrea. “Okay!” Andrea said cheerily, as Daniel carefully stood up.

“Mom, do you want to be forward, defence, or do you want to stay in net?” Ricardo asked his mother. “I’ll stay in net and be keeper.” Fallon answered as she relieved Cristiano of his goal keeping duties. “Predictable…” Daniel muttered as he gave Fallon the ball. “You already know how well I play…” Fallon said to him. He grinned. “Yes I do…I wonder if you ever got the grass stains out of those pants…” He said as he remembered. “Nope…” Fallon told him.

“Let’s play!” Cristiano shouted from behind them. “Alright, alright…” Fallon told her youngest son. She kicked the ball to Daniel, who ran slowly and carefully with Andrea on his shoulders. Ricardo stole the ball from his father, and passed it to Cristiano. Daniel got the ball away from his youngest son. “Go Daddy!” Came the cheer from Andrea. She clapped from atop of Daniel’s shoulders, before grabbing on tightly again. Cristiano and Ricardo kept getting the ball away from their father, as Fallon watched and laughed in amusement. When the ball would come to her, Fallon would kick it away. Her sons managed to get a few goals on her.

Fallon watched as her two sons played against their father. Her daughter was enjoying the game from her place on Daniel’s shoulders. My family…-Fallon thought. It always amazed her how much things had changed…how fast her children were growing…how close she and Daniel were…how he had stayed with her for all these years, that for one had never stopped amazing her…the fact how even now when Daniel looked at her, her heart would start beating madly…This was how everything was supposed to turn out, she thought.

She was thankful that their love had never faded away; in fact it had grown into something much deeper for them both. It was these precious moments that she was happy to be able to share with him. She knew there wouldn’t be a day that she wouldn’t love him; she could never tire of him. She knew he would always love her…whether it was the way he looked at her or the way he held her, he made it clear that he cherished her.

Fallon was brought out of her reverie as she saw the ball coming toward her. Following her instinct she ducked, letting in another goal. Her sons cheered as it was Cristiano who had gotten this one in. Daniel could be heard chuckling, while Andrea was giggling. Fallon was laughing at her self as she stood up. “Sorry!” She told them, with a laugh. “It’s okay Mommy! We can beat Dad this way!” Cristiano said with a grin. “I get it! You three are in this together to beat me! It’s a conspiracy!” said Daniel in mock horror. They laughed together. They started to play again, once Fallon kicked out the ball.

The five of them spent their afternoon together. Cheering and shouting as they kicked the ball to one another, playing soccer together as a family.