All That We Could Be

Chapter Six

Daniel had to change before they left, so Cheryl told him where the bathroom was. Daniel had left to go get his clothes from his car. As soon as Daniel had closed the door Cheryl jumped on Fallon. “He loves you!” She told her loudly. “Shut up…just because you say it doesn’t make it true…not until he says it at least.” Fallon snapped. “Oh come on…have you seen the way he looks at you?” Cheryl continued. Before Fallon could respond, the door opened. Daniel stepped in with a clothes bag. “Sorry, I’ll just be a minute.” He told the two apologetically.

As Daniel shut the door of the main bathroom, which was down the hall, Cheryl had been just about to say something; Fallon spoke before she could. “Don’t start…he’s just down the hall. He’ll hear everything.” Fallon warned in a low voice. Although Cheryl looked as though she still wanted to continue the conversation in that direction, she knew better than that to actually do it.

“So where are you two going again?” Cheryl asked. “Apparently we’re going to his cousin’s house. I’m already feeling nervous.” Fallon said to her with grim look. “Don’t worry I’m sure his cousin will approve of you.” Cheryl said with a reassuring smile.

Daniel came out of the bathroom at that moment. Fallon had heard the door open, so she had reached to get her coat. As soon as she turned to face him, she forgot to blink, or breathe. Fallon snapped out of it, but wasn’t fast enough. Both Cheryl and Daniel had seen her awed expression. Daniel had been kind enough not to laugh, except his smile told her he had seen her facial expression. Fallon started to blush. Cheryl, who unfortunately was unable to be so kind at these moments, was quietly snickering.

“Shall we?” Daniel asked, holding out his arm. Fallon nodded, and reached for it. Cheryl bid them a good evening as they walked out of the house. The two of them got into the car, Fallon was still quiet. Every time she glanced at him, she lost her thoughts. Her mind went blank. Although in Daniel’s defense he was wearing a very simple black suit with a black shirt. It just went together with his brown hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. That and his soccer player physique helped lose Fallon’s thoughts.
As Daniel turned on to the street, there was still silence between them. The silence was comfortable though. “Don’t tell me it’s my turn to quiz you already?” Daniel tried, as he glanced at Fallon. Fallon, who was trying to get her thoughts in order, completely missed the question. She had glanced at him again, sending her thoughts into disarray. “I hope I didn’t rob you of speech completely…how am I going to explain this to my cousin…” Daniel joked trying to coax Fallon into talking. His attempt worked. “You didn’t rob me of speech…you just robbed me of thought.” Her reply came. Daniel sighed in relief. “Ah! She speaks!” “Yes I speak, now tell me do you really want to quiz me? Or can I continue?” Fallon asked. She was trying to get out of answering his questions.

“Nope it’s my turn. I think it’ll be more interesting this way. Besides at least I’ll know you’re breathing and speaking…and alive.” Daniel said. Fallon turned to face him sharply. “What?” She asked. “Back at your house, when you saw me…I think you forgot to breathe…” Daniel said to her quietly. She could tell he found it amusing. “What makes you say that?” She tried to sound normal. “Well you started to breathe again with a quiet gasp…and you looked stunned.” Daniel told her observantly. Fallon found it hard to say anything back…so she remained quiet, determined not to look at him.

“I’m guessing that you were at a loss of words…or maybe even breath.” Daniel told her with a smug grin. “I was not.” Fallon tried to refute his idea. “Okay then say that while you face me.” Daniel said. His grin was wider. Fallon squirmed in her seat. “Fine I will.” Fallon closed her eyes and faced him. “You do not make me lose my breath…or thoughts…or words.” She said to him. “That doesn’t count; you had your eyes closed.” Daniel complained.

“Okay fine I’ll say it without closing my eyes.” She looked at the floor of the car as she turned and said the same words to him again. “Cheater…” muttered Daniel, under his breath. “I am not.” Fallon said the words lightly. The car had come to a stop, in front of a house. “Okay, now that we’ve arrived…the only way we go in is if you say it facing me…as in looking at me.” Daniel said with a smirk. Fallon sighed. There was no point in showing up at the door alone…since she didn’t know who she was meeting. She gave in. “Alright.” She turned to face him. “I don’t…” She looked at him. The words and thoughts were lost as soon as she looked into his eyes. “I told you so…” Daniel said. His smile was perfect, Fallon thought. It’s like I found my own version of Edward, her thoughts slowly put themselves together.

He leaned in, closing the space between them. She met him. He gently kissed her. Fallon thought her heart had stopped for a good measure of time, until Daniel broke the kiss. “Come on, we have to go inside. Before my cousin comes out.” Daniel told her softly. Fallon only nodded.

The two of them got out of the car. Daniel took hold of Fallon’s hand, as they reached the front door. Daniel rang the door bell before entering. Fallon followed him into the house. Her stomach had butterflies, not all of them were about meeting Daniel’s cousin.

A young man entered the hallway. He looked older than Daniel. He had the same brown hair, but his eyes were brown instead of blue. “Miguel, this is Fallon.” Daniel said swiftly. “Fallon, this is my older cousin Miguel.”

“Fallon it’s very nice to finally meet you. Daniel hasn’t stopped talking about you, since the two of you met.” Miguel said as he shook Fallon’s hand. Fallon looked at Daniel. It was at long last, his turn to be uncomfortable, and Daniel didn’t disappoint. He was staring at the ground, trying to ignore the smirk that had placed itself on Fallon’s lips. When he did look at her, it was with a sheepish grin.

“Why don’t we go the living room, dinner will be done in about 15 minutes.” Miguel said, he lead them into a comfortably furnished room. As they took of their coats and placed them off to the side, Fallon had a feeling that Miguel was trying to evaluate her. Daniel led Fallon to the couch, while Miguel had taken the seat across from them in a single sofa.

“So Daniel tells me you are a student and a singer.” Miguel told Fallon. “Yes, I am.” Fallon affirmed. “So why do both?” Miguel asked. He was looking her over. “Just in case one doesn’t work out for me.” Fallon told him. Fallon had the feeling he was trying to find something he didn’t like about her. “So which one do you prefer more?” He asked her. To Fallon it felt like an interrogation, something that she was always happy to avoid. “I love both; I wouldn’t be able to choose between them. I like learning new things, but writing and recording music for others to listen and appreciate is great too.”

There was a pause. Fallon took her chance, and decided to ask Miguel a few questions of her own. “So what do you do?” She asked him. “I manage football players. Daniel is one of the players I manage.” Miguel said gesturing to Daniel. Fallon turned to see Daniel look up when his name was said. “Is it rewarding or full of hard work?” She asked. “It’s both. I find it rewarding to be looking out for the players and their best interests,” Miguel said that pointedly, as though he was referring to something. “But also it is hard to get excellent players on excellent teams.” He continued. “Daniel here has been one of my more challenging players, no offense cousin.” Miguel razzed Daniel. “None taken.” Daniel said with the air of mock hurt. “Although I remain confident that no team will pass him up, we just need to talk to them properly. So far we’ve visited some of the teams that are on the lower part of the EPL table. Once we’re done that we’ll hit Chelsea, Arsenal, and his favorite Manchester United.” Miguel sounded as though he loved talking business.

Fallon noticed that Daniel didn’t say very much. As soon as Miguel left to see over the dinner, Fallon turned her attention towards Daniel.

“Why so silent?” She asked him. “I’m not being silent; I’m just letting you have your fill of answers. I know how much you love to ask questions.” Daniel teased. “Alright, but I was beginning to think you were falling asleep.” She told him. “Nope, not yet.” Daniel said and the grin returned. “I hope you don’t mind me saying…but your cousin doesn’t seem to like me…” She told him, her voice a little sad. “He’s like that, all attack first think later.” Daniel said with a laugh, but his features showed some concern. Fallon started to worry. She leaned into Daniel’s shoulder. “You’re not gonna ditch me if he doesn’t like me right?” She asked trying to make it sound as a light joke. “Why would I do that?” Daniel asked, his face showed discomfort, his arm was around her waist.

“Approval?” Fallon guessed. “I’d be stupid if I did that for approval. I hope I’d never disappoint you that way.” Daniel said to her solemnly. He leaned in to give her a kiss, but at that moment Miguel came in and cleared his throat. “Come on you two, dinner is ready.” Fallon sighed. She gave Daniel a quick kiss on the cheek before getting off the couch, and walking into the dining room, Daniel followed her shortly.

Dinner went by slowly. Miguel kept the conversation going by talking about how beautiful Portugal was compared to England. He spoke about different soccer players and his opinion about them. He also talked about the courses and career paths he had asked Daniel to take and what he thought about other careers. Fallon kept feeling as though he really wanted her to understand that he didn’t like her. Although Miguel frequently paused and asked for her opinion, even giving her a smile when she shared his opinion; she found him glancing at Daniel when he thought she wasn’t paying attention.

The only difference during dinner was that Daniel spoke. Only sometimes, but more than he had previously. By the time they had finished dessert which was a luscious chocolate cake; Fallon truly felt out of place and uncomfortable. When they finally said their goodbyes and Daniel walked with her to the car, she felt relieved.

“So what did you think?” Daniel asked as he started the car and turned on to the street. “Miguel’s nice…” Fallon replied, trailing off at the end. “What’s wrong?” Daniel asked with concern. “I don’t think he likes me…or my career choice for that matter.” She told him hesitantly. “I’m positive he does, he can just be gruff sometimes. That’s all.” Daniel told her, trying to reassure her. His words didn’t help make her feel better. They were quiet.

“Did you forget…It’s my turn to ask you questions.” Daniel said to her, trying to lighten the mood. “Okay sure.” Fallon said, trying to go along with it. “How old are you?” He asked her. “Twenty.” She answered. “Any siblings?” He echoed her questions from earlier that day. “Two younger brothers and one little sister.” “How old are they?” “My brothers are 16 and 13, while my sister is only 10.” “Why did you move here?” “To get my degree and work on my music.” “What do your parents do?” “My father owns his own pharmaceutical company and teaches at a local university, and my mother is a stay at home mom.” “So why didn’t they come with you?” “Because Canada is their home, and I would never ask my father to uproot his company to follow me on some crazy career thing.” “Do you miss them?” Daniel asked, this time he looked over at her. Fallon was facing the window, snow had started falling in huge tufts. “Everyday. When I first came here it was really hard…I used to cry in the bathroom each morning. My mom would tell me that it was okay to come home. After a while I started getting used to it, but the loneliness didn’t go away. I met Cheryl a little while after I moved here. She was there for me for a lot of stuff. It helped a lot, but the pain comes back. I go to see them every summer though, and winter break. Plus now I can help fund the company and keep it expanding.” Fallon said, her heart was still heavy every time she thought about her family. She didn’t look at Daniel. She didn’t want him to see that her eyes were watering.

“Do you ever want to go back?” He asked. “Sometimes…like when I have exams. Or when it’s one of their birthdays. But I know it’s better if I stay here a little longer, so that when I go back the company will be able to stand on its own.” She told him, still facing the window. “How long is a little while longer?” Daniel asked, sadness in his voice. This caught Fallon’s attention. She faced him this time. “Three to five years, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep the house with Cheryl, since I will have to come for work. By then I’ll probably split the time between here and home equally.” She told him, trying to cheer him up.

They had finally reached her house. Daniel got out of the car to walk Fallon up to the door. When they reached the door, before Fallon could put her key in the lock, she turned sharply to face Daniel. “Next time we go out, I get to choose.” She told him. Daniel smiled. He seemed to be himself again. “Alright, just try to keep the photographers away.” He told her with a laugh.

“Fine, well goodnight then…” Fallon said to him. He gave her what she had been hoping for. He leaned in and kissed her. “Goodnight, I’ll call you tomorrow.” He said as she pulled away. He smiled and waved as he got into his car. She fumbled for her keys in her pocket. As she opened the door, he pulled away from the house. She was sad to see him leaving, since they hadn’t really talked about Miguel.

Fallon entered the dark house. She turned on the lights that led to her room. After a few moments she was sure that Cheryl was asleep, Fallon was hoping that the older girl was asleep. She placed her coat onto the back of the chair next to her desk. Sure enough she heard footsteps coming from the stairs, within moments Cheryl was in her room, bouncing in with excitement.

“So how did it go?” Cheryl asked, bubbling over. “I’m sure the cousin loved you, right?” As soon as Cheryl saw the miserable look on Fallon’s face, she froze in place. “It can’t have been that bad…” Cheryl tried. “I really think Miguel didn’t like me…” Fallon said. The two girls sat down onto the bed, as Fallon told Cheryl about her evening with Daniel and Miguel.