All That We Could Be

Chapter Seven

The next few days went by as a blur, but for Fallon things were starting to get bad. Daniel and Fallon had gone out a few times after the dinner, but this time they were followed by throngs of photographers who had never followed them before. It took Fallon a while to understand why they were being followed. It wasn’t just because she was an artist whose next album was being released in the coming week. It was because she was an artist dating a soccer player who was trying to switch teams.

Daniel had more of a fan base than Fallon had expected. She was used to the photographers shouting questions at them. Now added to that was a whole new issue she had to contend with. Daniel was being sought by everyone from photographers to crazed females and a few males.

It was putting a strain on both of them. They could barely go out or even go to either house, and since Fallon was not too happy about going to Miguel’s, they usually came to her house for dinner and a chance to relax. Now her house was under constant vigilance; and even Cheryl was starting to get annoyed.

As the days started to get closer to the release date, Fallon was being put under more pressure. Her performances were for television shows, she had a few morning show interviews, and she was being scheduled for radio interviews. She just looked forward to when she would see Daniel. Even that was starting to lose it’s appeal since they had been followed.

Daniel was loyally showing up to all the performances; he would even stay and chat with her while she was finishing homework and assignments.

Yet still at the back of her mind, Fallon couldn’t forget Miguel’s attitude towards her. She still thought that he didn’t really like her, or that he felt Daniel could have done better. Or maybe he thought it wasn’t in Daniel’s best interest to be involved with her. For whatever reason his words still echoed in her mind.

The day had finally come. It was at long last February 6th. ‘Beneath The Covers’ was a few short hours away from being in the hands of her fans. Fallon got up that morning. Her stomach was full of butterflies. She considered being absent…and then saying she was sick. Unfortunately by that time Cheryl had come in and given her the clothes for her CD signing, and then shoved her into the bathroom. By the time she had come out of her room Daniel was waiting for her on the couch.

Cheryl came out with some tea and cookies for them, but Fallon couldn’t eat anything and be expected to hold it down. Fallon tried to drink the tea, but gave up after feeling nauseous.

Daniel had driven all the way over just so he could wish Fallon luck. He wasn’t able to come with her to the mall where she would be signing; simply because he had to go to a few clubs with Miguel. Cheryl asked Daniel to join them for dinner that night. Daniel agreed.

“Good luck.” Daniel said as he gave Fallon a quick kiss. “Thanks, and good luck to you too; but I think I should save it until you visit United.” Fallon told him with a grin. “You know, you’re right. I didn’t really think of that. Anyway I’ll see you tonight for dinner.” He laughed. Daniel said goodbye to the two girls and left for his own errands.

“Come on Fallon, we have to leave now. We’ll be late if we don’t.” Cheryl said to Fallon. Fallon slowly got up and got her coat. “Okay, but I get my car to drive.” Fallon told Cheryl. “Fine, let’s go.” She agreed. The two girls left the house, only to be photographed. Fallon started her black Dodge Charger. The only comforts she would be looking forward to would be driving and dinner with Daniel.

Fallon was seated by an enlarged picture of her album cover. She was actually surprised to see how many people had come out for her. As the line of people started to pass by her, she was engulfed with questions and signing the album. There were a number of people who had come to ask her about Daniel. For those people she simply smiled. The rest wanted to know her next single, or what she liked. Trivial things really, what I like…- She thought to herself. The crowd had been quiet for the longest time about Daniel.

“So are you Daniel Santos’ girl friend officially?” said a voice. Fallon snapped out of her reverie. Signing albums was pretty automatic work. “Pardon me?” She asked the girl who had said this. “I was just wondering if you two were exclusive or something.” The girl continued. “So are you?”

Fallon was taken aback for a moment. She wasn’t one for answering personal questions. She glanced over at Cheryl who was sitting beside her. Cheryl shrugged. Fallon decided it was not the time to be making exceptions. “I’m sorry, but I don’t generally answer questions on my personal life.” She told the girl apologetically. The girl didn’t look to happy, but before she could say anything Fallon had signed her album and she was being led away.

Fallon sighed. Even if she tried to answer that question she wouldn’t have been able to answer it. For all she knew she was just Daniel’s date for the last month. She thought they were exclusive. The only question was: what did he think? She decided to ask him at dinner. That way they would both be on the same page.

The rest of her day continued in the same manner, so by the time Fallon had gotten home she went straight to her room and feel asleep on her bed without so much as shrugging out of her coat.

“Fallon, come on get changed, so that we can eat dinner with Daniel!” Cheryl said loudly. It was Cheryl’s turn to cook, and she had luckily finished before Daniel arrived. Fallon had been sleeping since they had gotten home at 5pm. It was now seven, and Fallon still hadn’t gotten up. Cheryl turned into Fallon’s room. “WAKE UP!” Cheryl shouted. “Ten more minutes…please.” Fallon pleaded with her. “Oh no, I gave you two whole hours. Get up Daniel’s here already. I’ll send him in to wake you up…” Cheryl fibbed, cunningly. It worked. “No, I’ll get up. See I’m up.” Fallon bolted out of bed. “Go change into something comfortable, I’ll wait for you.” Cheryl said keeping the façade that Daniel was actually here.

Fallon took off her coat, as she ran to the closet. Cheryl waited. After a few moments, Fallon still hadn’t come out. There was no noise from the closet. No shuffling hangers, nothing. Cheryl sighed. It seemed as though Fallon had done it again, Cheryl knocked on the door. No sound. Cheryl opened the door, only to find that she was right. Fallon had sat on the ground of her closet, and fallen asleep.

“Fallon!” Cheryl yelled. Fallon opened one eye, and sighed. Fallon got up lazily. “Can’t I just sleep?” She asked. “Nope, Daniel’s going to be here any minute. You’re still not dressed.” Cheryl said pointedly. “What! You said he was here…” Fallon said with a glare. “Not like you changed.” She went and looked through the clothes. She picked out a pair of black pants with a deep purple knit long sleeve sweater/dress. “Here you go, now get changed.”

As Fallon left to go get dressed, the door bell rang. “I’ll get it.” Cheryl told her, as she left the room. “If you don’t get dressed I’ll send Daniel to get you.” Cheryl threatened. “No please! I promise I’ll be out in five.” Fallon pleaded with Cheryl, from the bathroom. “That means you have five minutes, not five hours.” Cheryl told her as she left to answer the door.

By the time Fallon had gotten out of her room and into the dining room, Daniel and Cheryl were already seated. They both looked up as she entered.

“Hey! Are you fully awake yet?” Daniel asked Fallon with a grin. “Figures, Cheryl told you…I suppose I am now.” Fallon said, shooting a glare at Cheryl. “I thought he should know why you’re late.” Cheryl said with a sly grin. Fallon ignored the comment.

The three of them ate with light banter going between them. Cheryl had prepared a pasta dish, with a side of salad and garlic bread. Fallon thought it was delicious. As they progressed to dessert, Cheryl brought out Fallon’s favorite. It was an ice cream cake.

“You like ice cream in the winter?” Daniel asked. “Ice cream tastes good all year round. I can’t help it.” Fallon retorted. “Besides, I thought she deserved a treat, I mean she finally released her fourth album.” Cheryl said. The three of them ate, while arguing about when not to eat ice cream.

As dinner finished, Cheryl and Fallon put away the dishes into the dishwasher. Daniel tried to help but neither of them would let him. Cheryl had to leave; conveniently, she had a few things to do at Lively! This left Daniel and Fallon at home alone. Fallon didn’t have any idea for an activity, so she asked if Daniel wanted a tour of the house. Daniel agreed.

When they had finally seen everything that was on the main floor and top floor, Fallon lead him towards the basement. She showed him the entertainment room.

“This is my favorite room in the house, well other than my room.” Fallon told him, secretively. She opened the door to her library. Fallon watched as Daniel stood there looking at each of the walls in turn. She hadn’t expected him to look awed. She had expected a little ribbing about being a book worm. Daniel moved towards the books. He looked through her collections. “Did you buy the entire bookstore?” He asked. His voice sounded amazed.

Fallon had to laugh. “Believe me, I tried. Cheryl put her foot down once all the shelves looked full. She just doesn’t know about the boxes of books I’ve bought and hidden from her.” Fallon said with a grin. “Really?” Daniel asked. “Yup. I quietly add to the shelves. Since it’s not like she comes in everyday.” Fallon added. “I’m pretty sure she knows though, she’s very good at figuring me out.” Fallon said with a hint of disappointment. Daniel chuckled.

The two of them walked back up stairs, towards the couches. “So you never told me how your day was, I mean how did it go with the clubs?” Fallon asked. “It was fine, they seem interested. Although I’m not sure how much they are interested in me.” Daniel said with a slight frown. “What do you mean?” Fallon asked quickly. “Well they asked a lot of questions. It’s just that there is always that one question that isn’t about me as a player. Its about you and me.” Daniel said, to Fallon his voice sounded as though he was trying to hide the hurt.

“That’s bad isn’t it…?” Fallon said quietly. Daniel looked up at her. Fallon didn’t seem to like the idea that she was affecting Daniel’s career a little negatively. “It’s not bad; it just makes me feel weird. I don’t know why they ask about who I’m with. It doesn’t affect how I play. I think they try to make it worse than it is.” Daniel told her trying to make her feel better. “How was your day anyway?” Daniel said quickly, trying to distract them both. “It was the same. I was asked about you…” Fallon told him, she was looking at the ground. “What about me?” Daniel asked with curiosity. “Whether or not we were exclusive…” Fallon said quietly. She still wasn’t looking directly at him. “What did you say?” Daniel whispered. “I didn’t know what to say…so I was wondering are we together then?” Fallon’s voice had also dropped to a whisper. “I think we were exclusive since we met…or at least since our first date.” He told her.

This time it was Fallon who made the move. She kissed him. When they broke apart, they were quiet for a while.

It was a few moments until Daniel suggested that they watch a movie. Although Fallon sat with him watching ‘Death Race’, her mind was still thinking about how Miguel would think of her, if she really was affecting Daniel’s career. What would he tell Daniel to do then? Would Daniel leave if it meant he could play with Manchester or Chelsea? She buried the thoughts into the back of her mind, and tried hard to think of nothing but the movie.