Something Worth Fighting For

Chapter Eighteen: Something Kinda Screwed

Chapter Eighteen: Something Kinda Screwed

After school, Natalia walked to her locker. She was so deep in thought that she failed to notice who was standing there. “So will you be coming?” Dallas asked her.

Natalia struggled to gain composure. “I wasn't expecting to see you so soon...or here for that matter. Shouldn't you be waiting in the car?” She told him. Dallas ignored her question. Dallas moved to the side, allowing Natalia access to her locker. “Did you think about it?” He asked her. Natalia was surprised at his tone. He sounded impatient.

“I don't know. I'll see.” She told him, vaugely. He took her books from her, she closed her locker and followed him out to the car.

“Come on, it'll be fun.” Dallas said. He sounded as though he were making a last ditch attempt at convincing her to come. Natalia sighed. Instead of answering she sat and looked out of the window.

They were quiet the whole ride home. Natalia thought about going, but each time there was something nagging her in the back of her mind. Natalia just couldn't put a finger on it.

-----

Dallas wanted to kick himself. I should have said it was a date, he thought. He looked over at Natalia. Maybe she would agree if I tell her that it is a date...He thought.

She was still looking out of the car window. At least she hadn't shot him down completely. There was still a ray of hope that she would actually come...a diminishing ray albeit.

As he parked in the driveway, Natalia got out before he could say anything more to her.

He raced in to the house after her, hoping to corner her. He looked to where she had gone, and found her in the living room. Natalia was sitting on one of the couches facing the backyard glass doors. She was already putting her books on to the coffee table.

March had brought spring like weather, the snow had melted, the grass had started to grow. There were buds on the trees.

Natalia looked at him as he sat down opposite to her. “Lia, just think about it...will you?” He asked her. He had really wanted her to come.

“Fine...I'll think about it.” She told him, and he got up. He hoped he would see her. Yet some part of him sincerely doubted that she would come.

Before he left her, he turned to say something. “I'll be looking for you.”

-----

Natalia got off the bus and looked down at her coat and dress one last time. She couldn't think of what had possessed her to actually show up.

Why am I doing this? She asked herself once more. The answer she had come up with was a simple one. She was going becuase Dallas had been there for her, and becuase she was happy that he had made it on to the team. It was also a way for her to make it up to him for the silent treatment.

Natalia hadn't told Dallas she was coming. In fact, she hadn't made up her mind until after he and Derek had left. If she was really honest with herself...it was becuase she was hoping he would be waiting for her...she was nervous. She didn't want to admit it, but she did have feelings for him.

She pulled out the peice of paper Dallas had given her, from her coat pocket. 'Heaven's Devil' was the club's name. Natalia immidiately found it. There was a massive lineup outside.

Natalia walked briskly towards the entry.

“Sorry, miss. Is your name on the list?” Asked the bouncer. “I think so.” Natalia replied, puzzled. “Can I have your name?” He asked her. The bouncer was a big burly, intimidating man. Natalia gulped.

“Natalia Williams.” She told him. The boucer looked through the lists. “I'm sorry, miss. But your name isn't on the list.” He told her.

At this, Natalia was surprised. “But, my brother is here...and I know Dallas.” She told him. Panic was starting to rise in her.

“I'm sorry, miss. I'm only allowed to let in those with their names on the list.” He told her. Natalia was at a loss, what was she going to do. Idiot Dallas...I knew this was way too good to be true, she thought in anger.

“Look, can I just go get my brother. Please?” She pleaded. “I'm sorry, but I can't let you in if your not on the list.” “Can you at least check if my brother is on the list? You could go ask him!” She told the bouncer in exasperation. “I'm sorry miss, but I can't...” The bouncer started.

“Natalia?” Asked a voice. Natalia's head whipped in the direction of the voice. “Derek!” She exclaimed in relief. “I didn't think you were coming.” He told his little sister.

“Yea, well...just my luck.” She told him. “Can you please tell him that I'm your sister, and that I can come?” Natalia asked her older brother. “Yea sure. She's with me.” he told the bouncer. As the man stepped aside to let Natalia in, she fought the urge to stick out her toungue at him. He should have just believed me, she thought.

“So, Lia...what brings you here?” Derek asked out of curiousity. “I don't know.” She answered. “I bet I do.” Derek said with a smirk. Natalia bit her toungue, she wasn't going to respond to that jibe. “Where's Dallas?” She asked him. “He's around here somewhere.” Derek told her. His face told her he knew why she had come.

“I'll get you something to drink. Remember your not allowed alcohol. Got it?” Derek said to her in warning. Natalia nodded. She wondered if Dallas had told him about the incident with Marissa. As she waited for her brother, Natalia took the chance to look around her.

Every where people were dancing, chatting, just having a good time. She unbuttoned her coat. It was rather warm inside. Her black coat opened to reveal a deep red pleated dress. She hadn't known what else to wear.

Derek returned with her drink in hand. “Here you go, an alcohol free cola.” He told her. Natalia took it from him. “Thanks.” She told Derek. “So where can I find the host?” She asked in reference to Dallas.

“I think he went that way.” Derek pointed towards the main hall. Natalia nodded and left in search for him.

Natalia walked throught the crowds in search of Dallas. Where could he be? She wondered, as she walked.

Soon she found a rather secluded area, it was a deck. From here she could see the bottom floor. There wasn't much of a crowd, and the music wasn't as loud here.

She walked along, holding on to the railing. She watched revelers dance along to the songs being played.

As she walked, she stumbled upon a couple. A girl was pushing a boy against a wall.

“I told you there wouldn't be many people.” Natalia heard the girl say. “I don't know...” The guy sounded unsure. Natalia tried not to pay attention, but she saw the girl kiss the boy. “Come on, Dallas. It's just some fun.”“Mollie...”

Natalia's blood ran cold. “Dallas?” She demanded, facing the couple. She saw the girl glance towards her. It was Mollie, from the restaurant. Behind her, Natalia saw Dallas.

You've got to be kidding me, She thought. “So much for you'd be looking for me.” Natalia said in anger. “Natalia...I can explain.” Dallas mumbled, as he untangled himself from Mollie. “Oh...I just bet you can. I should have known...urgh...I can't believe I was so stupid.” Natalia said angrily, she stormed away.

-----

Dallas couldn't belive how badly he had screwed up. He wished he had thought to remember that there was a chance that Natalia was going to show up.

Mollie had come out of the blue, and Dallas hadn't known how to keep away from her advances.

Dallas left Mollie standing alone. He ran after Natalia, he caught her before she went down the stairs.

“Lia! Natalia! Let me explain! Just listen!” He said taking hold of her arm, forcing her to stop and face him. “No, Dallas! You listen! I don't want to know what you were doing with her. I don't care.” She told him, angrily. “If you didn't care then why are you leaving?” Dallas asked her. “Because it was stupid of me to have come.” She told him, trying to get her arm out of his grasp. “Please, just hear me out.” He pleaded. He saw the icy steel glint in her blue eyes. “Forget it.” She told him, wrenching her arm from his grip and walking away.

Dallas stood rooted to the spot, not knowing what to do. It took him a few moments, he decided to run after her.

-----

Natalia walked briskly to where Derek stood. “Here, I'm leaving.” She told him, shoving her half filled drink in Derek's hand.

“What? You just got here.” Derek asked in confusion. “Yea, well I made a mistake.” Natalia said, as she headed out the door. “Natalia! Wait! I'll take you home!” She heard Derek shout after her.

-----

Dallas reached Derek; just as his friend was shouting after his little sister. Derek looked at Dallas' face, and the comprehension dawned on his face.

“What did you do?” Derek asked, as he grabbed his coat. “I...” But before Dallas could say anything, Derek put a hand up to stop him. “I'll talk to you later, right now I need to find her.” Derek told him. Derek rushed after Natalia.

Derek left Dallas standing alone and miserable.