Something Worth Fighting For

Chapter Fifty Four: Never Had A Dream Come True

(Three Years Later)

He stood, patiently waiting. His shirt cuffs were slightly itchy. The black suit he was wearing wasn't exactly helping. Thankfully it wasn't as hot as it had been at the beginning of the week, there was a slight breeze. The thunderstorm the night before had cleared up the weather.

Dallas leaned forward to see if she was there. He felt someone punch his arm.

“No peaking! Don't you know it's bad luck to see the bride before the wedding!” Dallas turned to face Derek. “I'm not peaking! I'm waiting...and checking if she's here...” He protested. Derek shook his head, his was standing beside Dallas.

They were standing in a large gazebo. The guests were seated right in front of the gazebo. White and red rose petals littered the ground, forming a path to where Dallas stood. The gazebo had been decorated with clusters of hydrangeas, clematis, hibiscus, star gazers, and roses. While morning glories crept around the pillars. It was simple and elegant. Dallas could use the same words to describe only one person...

“Have you noticed that our mothers are so happy that they've already gotten a head start crying...” Derek muttered. Dallas looked over to where their mothers sat. Sure enough the two women were arm in arm, tears streaming down their faces.

“They must have been waiting a long time for this...” Dallas laughed as he heard Derek say this.

“Their not the only ones.” He told his best friend and soon to be brother-in-law. “At least your not bawling...their so embarrassing...” Derek retorted.

Dallas heard the music start, it was the instrumental version of 'Never Had A Dream Come True' by S Club 7. He and Derek straitened up, Derek fixed Dallas' collar one last time.

“I would say good luck...but I don't feel it's the most appropriate thing to say...” Derek muttered, patting his best friend's shoulder. Dallas shook his head, smiling. Derek was making it hard to keep a straight face.

The flower girl walked in, more flower petals were scattered on the ground. Then walked in the bridesmaids: Natalia's friends and cousin. Both Clara and Dawn were wearing knee length pale blue dresses, they held bouquets of white roses. They came arm in arm with Taylor and Andre, while Steven walked in with Natalia's cousin. After them came Matthew, bearing the rings. Matthew smiled at Dallas as he came to stand beside Derek.

The moment Dallas had been waiting for, finally arrived. Led by her father, Natalia came in to view.

She looked breathtakingly beautiful. Dallas didn't know how he had kept his jaw from dropping.

Natalia wore a white corseted satin gown. The bodice hugged her slender frame. The gown trailing after her. A delicate lace veil masked her face from him. All of Dallas's thoughts vanished as Natalia walked closer to him.

Her father lifted the veil, kissing his daughter's cheek, before putting her hands into Dallas's.

“Be good to her.” The older man said, before leaving to sit with his wife and Dallas's parents. Dallas nodded in understanding.

He looked over at Natalia. She was beaming at him. She looked even more beautiful up close.

She wore light makeup, which highlighted her looks even more. Her hair had been gathered into a sleek plait, that came over one shoulder. Her lined blue eyes looked more ethereal. The veil had been set on her hair with a simple silver tiara. The over all affect had Dallas at a loss for words.

Natalia squeezed his hands, as the ceremony began. Dallas could only hope he remembered what he had to say.

-----

Natalia's heart beat wildly. She couldn't believe they were standing in this flower covered gazebo. Even more startling to her was that they were getting married. The days had gone by so fast, and now they were standing here about to commit everything to one another.

She couldn't believe she was still standing...having half expected to fall because of the heels she was wearing. The other half being that her knees felt wobbly from nerves.

As she heard the words being said around her, her mind wandered to when Dallas had asked her to marry him. It had been surprising to think that this day would be coming...the memory of Dallas proposing to her was still vivid.

Dallas was full of surprises. Who would have thought a year ago, that Dallas would surprise her like that. He had dragged her to go hiking with him. They had gone up north to the Muskoka woods. Natalia hadn't been thrilled about hiking. The sun was about to set, when they reached a clearing.

“You dragged me all this way to watch the sun set?” Natalia had asked irritatedly. Although it wouldn't have bothered her so much any other day, Natalia had been working on her lab report the night before...and it still wasn't done. It was due after the weekend.

“Come on, you love these things.” Dallas had grinned. “Yea...when I have time for them!” She had retorted. “One day away from your precious lab report isn't going to kill you.” Dallas had said smugly. “Oh...but my marks will...” Natalia had muttered under her breath.

“Look, isn't that beautiful?” Dallas pointed out to the sun as it had begun to set. Natalia was quiet. It certainly was breathtaking.

She felt Dallas take hold of her hand. When she turned to look at him, he had bent down on one knee. Natalia's breath was caught. All her thoughts had vanished into thin air. Dallas smiled at her.

“Natalia Elizabeth Williams...” Her name coming from his lips, sounded as beautiful as the setting sun. A small black box appeared in his hand. “Will you do me the honor...of marrying me?” He asked her, opening the box to reveal a heart shaped diamond ring. Tears had started to form in her eyes.

Natalia stared at him, and then the ring. He had done all this for her? It clicked in her mind, as she finally comprehended what he had just asked her. “Yes.” She told him, in a whisper. Dallas slid the ring on to her finger, as he stood up, he pulled Natalia in for a kiss.

Of course getting ready for this day had been another memory fraught in her mind. Who would have thought that Dallas would have done more work than she had, when it came to getting everything ready.

Natalia thought that had been only because he had left her, a couple of times, in a store with both of their mothers and hundreds of wedding dresses. That alone had been torture...Natalia smiled at the memory.

Both mothers had been dragging her every which way trying to get her to select something from their choices. Natalia, of course, had come back on her own one day and selected something she liked.

Natalia put the thoughts to the back of her mind, returning her attention to the ceremony, hoping she hadn't missed very much. That would be embarrassing...missing my own wedding...Natalia thought.

It wasn't long before the time came to exchange vows. Natalia and Dallas had agreed to write their own. It was only now that Natalia wished she hadn't agreed. Please don't let me sound ridiculous...she found herself praying fervently. Her only comfort being that Dallas was going to go first.

He held her hands tighter. She looked up at him. He looked handsome. His short blonde hair slightly ruffled by the breeze. His black suit made him look...Gorgeous, she thought to herself. His brown eyes held warmth in them.

The more she looked at him, the more her thoughts went into disarray. Please don't let me forget what I'm supposed to say...she was nervous.

Matthew brought the rings towards them. Natalia could feel her heart pounding. Could everyone else hear it too? She steadied herself.

Dallas took the first ring. It was a princess cut silver diamond ring. It looked elegant. She watched Dallas intently, as he began to speak.

“Natalia,” Dallas started. She looked into his eyes, gazing in to their warm depths. “I stand here today, in front of our family and friends, to give myself to you. I love you. I need you in my life because nobody has ever made me feel so loved the way you have. Today I give myself to you in marriage to be your husband. I promise you that I will love you without reservation. That I will love you in good times and in bad.”

Natalia could feel her eyes start to brim with tears. Please don't let them fall...she thought.

“I promise to cherish each and every moment I share with you. I vow to be there for you always.” That did it. Tears started to stream down her face. There was no way for her to wipe them away.

“When you fall, I will catch you; when you cry, I will comfort you; when you laugh, I will share your joy. Everything I am and everything I have is yours, from this moment forth and for eternity.” His words were so beautiful and touching. She heard the 'awws' from her friends and family.

Dallas slipped the ring on to her finger. Natalia couldn't help but smile through her tears. He brushed away her tears.

“I love you.” He whispered to her.

-----

Dallas could feel himself shaking with nerves. He brushed away Natalia's tears.

It was her turn. He couldn't believe he had gotten through without forgetting the words.

He watched as Natalia took the second ring from Matthew. It was a silver band with their names inscribed around it. He gazed deeply in to her eyes.

“Dallas,” She began. “I love you and you will always be my one true love. Through all of the uncertainties and trials of the present and future that we might face, I promise I will stand by you as your wife. Wherever you go, I will go; whatever you face, I will face.” She told him, with conviction.

“I promise to be there when you need me, to comfort you and encourage you, to help you reach your goals, to love you all my life, with all my heart. I used to be afraid of falling in love, of giving my heart away. You walked in to my life and because of you, I laugh, I smile.”

Dallas could feel himself choking up. He glanced at their parents. Both Natalia's mother and his own were crying, as their husbands held their hands.

Her words had been so carefully selected. They were perfect for this moment. He watched as more tears fell on to her beautiful face.

“I know I can't live without you. I vow to you, in front of our friends and family, that you will be my only love. Today I join my life with yours for eternity.”

Natalia slipped the ring on to Dallas's finger. The moment forever engraved in his mind. She smiled through her tears.

“I love you.” She whispered back to him.

Dallas wiped the tears off her face, once more, unable to find the words to express his joy. He held her hands in both of his own.

“You may kiss the bride.” They both heard from behind them.

Dallas moved closer to Natalia. Staring deeply in to her blue eyes.

Dallas pulled Natalia in, close to him, her hands wrapped around his neck. He kissed her soft warm lips, gently at first. She deepened the kiss.

“Forever.” He promised her, as they ended the kiss. The guests sounded their approval with applause.

She smiled at him. Her hands still around him. “Forever.” She promised, he lifted her in his arms twirling her around while the train of her dress billowed around them, before pulling her in for another kiss, as music played around them.

~ It was those 3 words that saved my life, It wasn't complicated, Wasn't premeditated, To you I'm dedicated, Let's go ahead and say it, I love you, I love you, You are the love of my life, my life, I love you, I love you, I love you, You are the love of my life, my life... ~