If Only Tonight

Life After The Storm: Chapter Eighty - The Wedding

Life After The Storm:
Chapter Eighty: The Wedding

~Heart beats fast, colors and promises, how to be brave, how can I love, when I'm afraid To fall, but watching you stand alone, all of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow...one step closer...~

Seeing him standing at the altar, she smiled underneath her veil. He had insisted on choosing the music for them to walk down the aisle, and as she heard the words to the song, she could see why. He's such a romantic, she thought.

Guests sat in the pews of the rustic church they had decided to hold their wedding in. Bunches of flowers had been placed at the end of each pew, with lace cordoning off the exits. Nervously, she fidgeted with the bouquet in her hands.

Noticing his gaze upon her, Mia's heart beat quickened as she met his piercing blue eyes. Dressed in a black suit, he looked handsome, as he stood with Leon, Oliver, and Nathaniel by his side. Matthew was waiting for her.

She watched as Amelie, her little cousin started to walk down the aisle, daintily throwing flower petals as she walked. Behind Amelie, walked the bridesmaids, Lina, Ariana, and Mia's cousin Elena. The maid of honour, Stacie, glided right behind them. With her family seated at the front with Matthew's, and Elena and Amelie walking to the front, she felt a pang of sadness knowing who had not come.

"Are you ready, sweetheart?"

Mia nodded, taking a deep breath, and checking to see that her bouquet of white lilies was still alive. Her father allowed her to take hold of his arm.

"Mia..." She looked over at her father.

"Yes, Dad?"

"I love you, and I'm so proud of you. You look beautiful." He told her, his green eyes shining in the light.

"Thanks Dad. I love you too." Mia felt the lump in her throat. "Come on, Dad. No crying." She said, grasping his arm, giving a watery laugh while her father chuckled.

Starting to walk down the aisle, she couldn't help but think back to their time together. Meeting him for the first time, their first Christmas together, becoming friends, and their first kiss, memory after memory running through her mind like a movie reel. There wasn't a thing she would change if it meant losing what they had. He was the one person that understood her, and she had never loved anyone more.

~Time stands still, beauty I know she is, I will be brave, I will not let anything, take away what's standing in front of me, every breath,

every hour has come to this...one step closer...~

As the little flower girl made her way to the front, he watched in anticipation as the object of his affection started to walk slowly towards him. He only had eyes for her, even with the guests surrounding them, all that mattered at this very moment, all that he could see was the love of his life. Standing there waiting for her, there were no words that could describe how he felt.

Her ethereal beauty and elegance made it impossible for him to look away. Mia looked stunning in her dress, the tulle skirt flowing down to her feet, but not trailing too far behind, the fabric of the strapless dress hugging her figure, while the delicate lace veil covered her face and draped her bare shoulders. The bouquet of lilies she held in one hand, while the other held on to her father.

It was amazing how the last two years had culminated in this moment. The thunderstorms in which she would rush to him, their trip to Luxembourg, watching movies together, the snowball fight with his cousins, he was flooded with all the moments they had shared. Each one as vivid as the last.

He smiled as she walked closer, he could see those brilliant green eyes on him. Time came to a standstill as he watched her father lift the veil to reveal her face. Looking radiant, she gave him a slow smile, as her father lead her to him.

Placing his daughter's hand in his, Christopher Brooklyn gave Matthew a sad smile as tears shone in his eyes, he patted the football player's shoulder.

"My daughter has been the jewel of my eye." He said, quietly to Matthew. "Treasure her."

Feeling the emotion and weight of her father's words, Matthew nodded, unable to say anything more. The older man walked back to his seat in the pews while Matthew helped Mia walk the rest of the way to the altar.

~I have died everyday, waiting for you, darlin' don't be afraid, I have loved you for a Thousand years, I'll love you for a Thousand more...And all along I believed, I would find you, Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a Thousand years, I'll love you for a Thousand more...~

Standing facing him, Mia knew her eyes were starting to water. The way he looked at her, like she was the only one in the world with him, amazed her.

With the priest speaking, Mia stared in to the ice blue depths that held warmth for her. Having spent the last few days apart, she had missed his presence immensely. Here he was, jet black hair and all, the man she was going to marry. Her heart leapt with joy.

Trembling as he took her hand, she watched as Nathaniel came forward to hand Matthew the ring. Gently slipping it on to her finger, she felt tears starting to fall down her face as she heard him say his vows.

"Mia," Matthew started, his voice captivating her. "I will always love and cherish you. You are the best thing to have come in to my life, you helped me become a better person, and I will never forget what you mean to me. No matter what happens, I will be there to share your joy and your pain. I will be there to catch you when you fall. Mia...I will always love you."

As the tears rolled down her cheeks, she smiled at him, taking the other ring from Nathaniel.

"Matthew," Mia spoke, her voice wavering with emotion, as she started to slide the ring on his finger. "I will always love and obey you. You are the love of my life, and I can't wait for us to start our lives together."

Matthew smiled widely as she said this.

"I promise to stay with you through the good times and the bad, I will stand by you through everything. Matthew...I will always love you."

As the priest spoke a few more words, all Mia could do was look into Matthew's eyes, his bright blue magnetic eyes. Holding her hands, he smiled at her, and through her tears of joy she smiled back.

~I have died everyday, waiting for you, darlin' don't be afraid, I have loved you for a Thousand years, I'll love you for a Thousand more...And all along I believed, I would find you, Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a Thousand years, I'll love you for a Thousand more...~

With the music playing softly behind them, Matthew looked deep in to the emerald depths in front of him. This was the start of the rest of their lives, and he couldn't have been more happier.

Knowing that she loved him, and that they were going to be together, made being apart worth it. He knew the no matter what came their way, this time they were strong enough to handle it.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife...you may now kiss your bride." The priest said finally.

Lovingly looking at her, there were no words to express how he felt. The joy that she was now his wife; that this moment had finally come at last. Leaning so that his forehead touched hers, he smiled down at her, his fingers gently wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"I will always love you."

She smiled through her tears.

He kissed her gently as cheers and applause erupted around them.

~I have died everyday, waiting for you, darlin' don't be afraid, I have loved you for a Thousand years, I'll love you for a Thousand more...And all along I believed, I would find you, Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a Thousand years, I'll love you for a Thousand more...~