If Only Tonight

Short Story One: The Making of New Traditions

Short Story One: The Making of New Traditions

(Five months after leaving London, England)

“So, how's the new house? Come on, details.”

“Well, it's got about four bedrooms upstairs, and four baths. A kitchen, a living room and a family room on the main floor. The basement has the laundry and gym. We made one of the rooms into a library and computer room. The backyard is huge though, it has this amazing weeping willow tree, and we're going to plant flowers there and at the front, and there is even a rustic style gate!”

“Does that mean you like it, then?”

Driving down the narrow road, Mia Rossi chuckled, as she heard the curious voice through her car's speakers, remembering what he had said to her before she left. 'Mia if you don't like it there, you can always come back.'

“Yeah, I do. It's very homely and cozy. I actually had a few doubts since it was pretty much bigger than anything I had expected, but once we moved in our things and furnished it, it started to feel like home.”

“Is it like the Cheshire house?”

“Oliver, do you really think I'd let him buy something that huge, when there's only two of us?”

At this Oliver Fields laughed, making Mia smile. It had been a few months since she had moved to Spain, but still there were times when she missed England. It was strange not being able to see the older footballer and the others almost every single day, like she had back when she was working with London FC.

“I don't know Mrs Rossi. How do I know he didn't charm you into agreeing to buy a colossal drafty mansion?”

“Because it's me...we looked at a lot of places, but this one had its own charm and was big enough for family and friends to stay over, but not so big that we'd feel like we were isolated. It is the perfect house for a family.” She gushed.

“You leave us for a few months, and you're thinking about starting a family already, Mia?”

“Oliver!” A shocked Mia squealed, feeling the heat rush to her cheeks.

“Nathaniel!” Came the older football player's admonishing tone.

Another laugh she hadn't heard in a while sounded in the background, making her heart pang with a bit of home sickness, the smile grew on her lips. That guy, she thought fondly.

“You never told me you had me on speaker phone, Oliver.” Mia said, pretending to be annoyed, as Nathaniel Madonia's laughter died down.

“I didn't think I'd be interrupted by my new roommate.”

“Nate's sharing the apartment?”

“Yeah, Ivan left the dorms to live with his wife, and so things got shuffled. Nate ended up being paired with me, while Moran and another newbie got his old room.” Oliver explained.

“Wow...that used to be ours...” Mia reminisced, remembering the times she had shared with Oliver and Matthew in their old place. She remembered how Matthew would stay two days before a match to focus, a tradition he had shared with Oliver before she had come along. Oliver had told her how it had started after they brutally lost a match.

Returning her attention to the road, she heard Oliver speak.

“Yeah, I know...I'm the only original tenant left, and I only come infrequently to check up on him and the place.”

“You'd better take good care of it, Nate.” She told the other player, knowing he was undoubtedly listening still.

“Don't worry, I will...and sorry for the interruption Mia...Oliver...so you were talking about the house? Thinking about a family?”

She could tell by his voice, Nathaniel was grinning. The young player always enjoyed hearing about what was going on, as well as quizzing her. A trait he seemed to share with her best friend Stacie, she sighed. If word of this got to the girl or to Lina, Mia knew she'd be in for quite an interrogation.

“Well, it's not like we haven't talked about it. Matthew and I both want to start a family at some point in the near future.” She said, nervously. “But for the time being, we'll see. I just got here a few months ago, and we're still settling down.”

“Yea, that's true.” She heard him say. “But seriously, can you imagine Matthew changing diapers? Now that would be a sight!”

At this she heard the two laugh, as she chuckled.

“You guys are horrible. He would be fine.” She told them. Thinking about it, she was sure he'd be a hands-on type of father.

“How come I don't see you teasing Oliver, who's expecting baby number two this year?” She asked, snickering. “By the way, congrats, Oliver...Ariana told me the last time I called.”

“Thanks Mia!” Came his gentle laugh. “Hopefully, you'll get to meet the little one.”

“We already got Oliver with baby jokes the first time around with Lily.” Nathaniel spoke up. “And all of us know he can change a diaper without passing out...Besides, you and Matthew are kind of next in line.”

“Hilarious, Nathaniel...” Mia said, shaking her head. We'll just have to see about that, she thought. At the moment, things were too busy to even think of having a child.

They had only been in their new home for a month or so. Before that, when Mia had arrived after completing her contract during Matthew's off season summer holiday; they had shared a cramped two room bachelor pad near the center of the city. It wasn't that bad, Mia thought having seen some of the other apartments in the vicinity. Madrid had quite a few run down looking homes. Even though they had crammed a lot of boxes in one of the bedrooms, they still had enough space to move around freely. Her husband had made sure to tease her about the books she had brought over, since several boxes were full of them.

Both of them had agreed it was best to stay put until they found a house they were completely happy with. It had taken several weeks of searching before finding their present home, after which they had moved in.

“So, how was the summer? I didn't get to catch up with you this time!” Nathaniel complained, she could see he was missing her as well.

“Well, after moving in, we went home and visited my Dad before spending a few weeks at the cottage. We would have come to visit but Matthew's season was going to start in the last two weeks of August.”

“You could have just come alone and ditched Rossi!” She could hear her friend snickering, as he said this.

“Yeah right, Nate...” She laughed.

Perhaps it had been easier to spend time away back before they were married...before they had begun dating; but now it was impossible to even contemplate, let alone suggest. A whole season apart had been more than enough to make her reconsider working away from him. Though he hadn't said anything, she knew it had been difficult for him as well. He had asked her back at the cottage if she had wanted to head to England before heading home to Spain, but she declined, having thought a trip without Matthew wouldn't have been as much fun. It had made her realize that she was happiest when she was with him; knowing that wherever Matthew went she would now follow.

“You're no fun.” The younger player taunted her.

“Uh huh, and you still owe me dinner.” Mia teased Nathaniel.

The two had made a friendly bet during her last season at London FC that Real Madrid would win the Champions League finals, the forfeit was dinner. Mia had emerged victorious when Real had beaten Bayern Munich, with Matthew scoring the winning goal.

“Yeah, yeah...we'll do that when you come.”

“So...how are things over there...with Chuckie?” She asked, wondering how they were adjusting to having a different specialist.

“He's alright...for now, I guess.” Nathaniel sounded sullen. “But...I wish you'd come back.”

The words made her laugh. I know, I miss you guys too, she thought, remebering her roster and the other two specialists.

“Sorry, Nate, maybe Dr. Phillips will come back?” She heard him snort at this. “So, is he getting along with the others?”

“Kyle and Calvin have started to warm up to him.” Oliver informed her. “Although I think James and Damien have been dealt quite a blow, They were shocked when Felix announced the changes.”

“I wish I could have seen the look on their faces!” She snickered. Serves them right! The two doctors had been quite irritating back when she used to work with the team.

“Are you guys planning to visit for Christmas?” Oliver asked, changing the subject.

“I think so. Matthew's been making plans. He actually misses the rain!”

She could hear the other two laugh as she said this. And he misses you guys, she added silently. Not being able to see their adopted family during the summer, and with Matthew's cousins still living in London; Mia knew that though he loved playing for Real Madrid, at times – like herself – Matthew missed them.

“What are you up to today, anyway? You sound like you're in a car?” Oliver asked, as she checked the names of the streets at the intersection.

“I'm heading to Santiago Bernabeau for the first time on my own.”

“Match today?” Nathaniel could be heard asking.

“Yea, they're playing against FC Barcelona for La Liga. It should be a good match.”

“Sounds like it. But...uh Mia...” Oliver trailed off.

“Yes?”

“You do know some Spanish, right? You know...in case you get lost?”

Nervous laughter escaped her lips, he had somehow caught her fear even though the older player was sitting miles away from her in another country.

“Not really, no.”

“What? I thought you said you would learn some?” The older player sounded worried.

“I was going to...but I haven't had time yet. I finally started working, but I will get around to it soon.”

She had told them both about getting a research position at a nearby university. Mia was heading a research group of graduate students.

In the background she could hear Nathaniel chuckling, while Oliver sighed.

“Make sure you do.”

“Hey...I'm not that bad with directions.”

“No, but the roads in Spain can be confusing...we played there for an exhibition match before you started at LFC...lets just say it was difficult getting around.”

“Does Matthew know you're coming or are you trying to surprise him?” Nathaniel asked, sounding amused.

“He knows. I told him last night, and I called him before I left the university. He said it would be too packed to park at the stadium so he gave me directions to leave the car nearby.”

“Speaking of cars...did you bring back the Challenger?” Nathaniel laughed as he asked this. The two knew of Matthew's intense dislike of her vehicle.

Sighing, Mia heard as Nathaniel and Oliver laughed, knowing the answer.

“No...we decided to leave it back home. My Dad will be taking care of it and the cottage while we're away.”

“You sound so bummed out.” The younger player quipped.

“Funny, Nate.”

“So what do you get to drive?”

“The Ferrari...he had it brought over for me.” She said, gritting her teeth, as the two howled with laughter.

It was the very same car he had given her to use back before they had even started going out; having hid her car in the garage of his Cheshire house. She could see the similarity between that time and now, although this time she didn't mind as much.

“Laugh it up you two...we'll see who's smiling when you guys face Real next month.” She told them snidely, having seen the fixtures for this years Champions League.

“You're switching sides?”

“Traitor!” Nathaniel muttered.

“I was always Team Rossi.” She snickered, while the other two chuckled.

Checking the street name against the slip of paper Matthew had given her that morning, she saw that she had arrived to her destination. 'Remember, the stadium is just a couple streets away.' He had told her before leaving that morning.

“Anyway, Mia, we'll talk to you later. We're supposed to head to the gym.” Oliver said, sounding apologetic.

“Okay, we'll probably call you guys tomorrow, since Matthew will have a rest day.”

“Sure. Take care, Mia.” Nathaniel told her.

“And try not to get lost, will you.” Oliver warned her.

“I will try not to.” She smiled, his worry for her was apparent. Just like old times, she thought. The oldest from the four of them, he played the role of the elder brother rather well; always looking out for them and making sure they were okay.

“Say 'Hi' to everyone for me, and give Lily a hug!” Mia reminded him, having missed catching up with Lina, Leon, Ariana, and Stacie.

“I will. Take care Mia. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Parking her car, she switched off the blue-tooth connectivity before shoving her phone in her pocket.

Already she was a little sad that she didn't have their company, even if it had just been their voices.

Getting out of her car, Mia made sure to lock the doors before heading down the street. Straightening out the blue frock she had worn with capris, she deemed herself presentable. Looking at the map her husband had drawn for her, she saw that she was to turn on the next street before heading to the intersection, and turning again. After that it was a straight walk and a right turn before walking down to the stadium. That doesn't seem so difficult, she thought, wondering why Oliver had warned her.

Memorizing the directions, she placed the map into the small sling bag she had brought, with that Mia started to walk.

Lost in thought while looking at the houses and buildings, she saw that several looked like their old apartment building. Some of the tenants had baskets of flowers and little shrubs growing out on their balconies, while others had their laundry out to dry. A few of the buildings had allowed vines to creep up along the sides.

It was an interesting change to life in London, she thought. Having gotten used to the rainy weather, and the occasional sunshine; Spain's mild climate was a pleasant difference. Even in September the sun was shining down brightly. She had only been living here for a few months, yet so far, she was content. Thinking about how fast time had gone by, she realized that she and Matthew would be celebrating their first wedding anniversary together in November. The thought made her smile, as she wondered what to get him.

Turning on to the next street, Mia observed how the scenery changed. Instead of houses and buildings, there were rows of little shops lining the road on either side. Nail salons, barber shops, clothing boutiques, restaurants, and convenience stores, ran along the strip.

I guess I must be getting close to the stadium then, Mia thought, since the shops looked pretty busy. They probably received good business due to the tourists that came to watch the games.

As she turned onto the next street, Mia decided to check the map, just to make sure she was going in the right direction. Walking to the nearest street corner she looked up at the sign, and then pulled out the map. Checking the names again, she began to feel nervous. There must be some mistake! Mia thought, looking back up at the street sign. How could I have gotten lost?

Turning back, she looked down the street only to feel more and more confused. How was she going to get to the stadium, or even back to her car? Maybe I should walk a for a bit and I'll come to the right street? She wondered, thinking that perhaps it was too soon for her to panic.

Starting once more, Mia tried not to worry, there was probably someway out of the maze of streets and to the stadium. If he can do it, so can I, she tried telling herself. He's probably going to tease me for getting lost on my first visit, she thought, knowing that Matthew would probably have a laugh at her expense.

Nearing the end of the next street, she realized that she was most definitely lost. Gut wrenching panic started to set in. Looking around, she saw that she wasn't near the shops any more. It was a residential area, and so far she had yet to pass anyone on the sidewalk. Turning back, she couldn't figure out the way she came, as the road split into two and wound around the houses before disappearing. Looking at her wrist watch, she saw there was about an hour and fifteen minutes before the match. She had come early just so she could avoid this sort of thing.

Dawdling at the street corner, she felt a lump in her throat grow. What do I do? She wondered, knowing that if she were to call now, Matthew would probably get disturbed, and the last thing she wanted was to ruin his focus before a match. She knew that he would never turn her away and would come for her in a heart beat, no matter what, even if it meant he missed the start of the game. Yet that was exactly what she was trying to avoid. Frustration started to set in, and with it, she blinked back the tears that were starting to well up.

Seeing a lady come down the street, she thought she had finally found a way to get back on track.

“Excuse me!” Mia called her.

The woman looked up.

“Excuse me! Can you please tell me where Santiago Bernabeau Stadium is?” She asked, hoping the woman would be able to direct her.

“¿Cómo?" The woman asked.

“Umm...Santiago Bernabeau...I was going to watch futebol...do you know how to get there?” Mia asked once more, slowly and carefully enunciating her words. “You know...Ronaldo...Real Madrid?”

“Lo siento...perdón...” The woman looked apologetic and walked away.

Feeling her heart sink, Mia didn't think she had any choice left. She had not wanted to make him worry the first time she came.

“Okay...don't panic, Mia...just call him...” She told herself, trying to muster up the courage to phone her husband. She pulled out her phone and started to put in his number.

At that moment her phone rang.

“Hello?” She picked up.

“Mia? Where are you?” Relief flooded her, it was Matthew.

“Matt...”

“Yea?”

“I might have gotten lost...”

A chuckle sounded on the other end, and even though she had been feeling close to tears, the sound of his voice was calming, making her smile. I should have called him sooner, she thought, regretfully.

“It's okay, love, I figured as much, that's why I told you to come early.” He said at last. “So, tell me where are you?”

Looking up at the street sign, she read off the name.

“Matt, if you leave now, you're going to be late for the match, and you won't be in the start-” She started, right about to apologize, but he stopped her.

“I've been in the starting line up more times than I can count, Mia. It's okay, I don't mind, so don't apologize. There's always another game. Besides, you're more important, there isn't another you.”

Choking back tears, she nodded, even though she knew he wouldn't see it.

“Come now, it's not that bad. See, it didn't take me long.” Hearing his voice in the phone and behind her, she turned to find him standing a few meters away.

Dressed in white shorts, and still wearing his cleats, Matthew stood smiling at her, his white team shirt covered by a black sports jacket, his jet black hair looking mussed, and a baseball cap in one hand. His blue eyes twinkled in the sunlight as he watched her.

Running into his arms, Mia wrapped her own around him, as tears of relief ran down her cheeks.

“I'm sorry! I should have paid more attention...I don't even know how I got lost!”

“Don't worry about it. It's fine, I'm just glad you're okay.” He said, holding her close, kissing the top of her head. She could hear his heart beating fast.

Looking up at him, she realized that it hadn't taken him long to come to her. He must have ran all the way, and yet he didn't seem out of breath.

“How did you get here so quickly?” She asked, looking up.

At this he gave her a sheepish smile, as one of his hands gently wiped away her tears.

“I estimated the time it would take for you to get to the stadium after you called. When you didn't ring me to tell me you'd gotten to your seat, I told the manager I had to go find my wife. When I called you, I was a few streets away from where I told you to park.” He told her, kissing her lips lightly.

“You didn't think I was going to get there, did you?” Mia pouted, as he laughed.

“No, not really...but that's because I got lost my first time too.” Matthew admitted. “It took me almost the entire season to get used to these roads.”

Feeling a bit better, she let him go.

“Let's head back?”

She nodded, as he took her hand in his and started to walk.

“Didn't anyone stop you? Or mob you?” Mia asked out of curiosity.

“No.” He smiled. “I left through the back, plus I sort of looked like a hard core fan. They probably thought I was a look-a-like or something.” They laughed as he led them down another street.

Feeling his hand tighten around hers, as their fingers entwined, she knew she must have worried him quite a bit. Though he may have seemed calm, she looked up to see his jaw clench.

“Matthew?”

“Hmm?”

“I really am sorry...next time I'll pay better attention-”

He had stopped walking, instead he pulled her into his arms once more.

“I told you, I don't care about the game. I care about you, Mia. I was worried something happened to you.” Matthew kissed her deeply.

As he ended the kiss, she saw the warmth in his blue eyes.

“How about from now on you leave with me?” He asked her. “We'll head to the stadium together; early enough so that I'm not late, but not so early that you die of boredom.”

Smiling at his thoughtfulness, Mia nodded. It would be a tradition of their own.

“That sounds perfect.”