Status: Developing. There may be more shorts, there may not.

Love

Never Look.

"...and sometimes, she'll just be on the 28th storey, sitting on the floor. The ceiling is the night sky, with the stars poking out, staring at her. She just looks down and watches the ants scurry from here to there, sipping vodka by itself. Not a word when I walk out, and I sit next to her. We never look at each other, we just sit, feeling each other's presence. Drinking.

Neither of us ever talks about it, but we both know we're looking down there and imagining. We imagine these fragile bodies gaining momentum and shattering into a thousand million pieces, worth more than its weight in diamonds for the life it contains. Somehow, we were gifted this body, and we imagine destroying it and ourselves because there seems to be nothing for us here right now. Like the sound of shattering crystal, a bell of the destruction of beauty and miracle and life, ripped out of everything. The pain and the pleasure.

When we are done with our bottles, we wordlessly stand up, stagger down two floors, open our door, shut and lock it, fumble to the bed, and throw ourselves in a heaped jumble to sleep together. There is no exchange of emotion, no cuddling, no sex. We simply lay there, together but separate. It is out of habit, but also because we have each other. We don't need to touch to know. And we never look."