Can't Let Go

The Dilemma

Jasmine's POV:

It's been about a week since Mikey and I blew up at each other. We had argued for two hours which was completely insane. We never used to argue. My phone rings and I don't recognize the number.

"Hello?" It's probably some stupid prank. I hate the younger generation. It's like stupid hit right after I was born.

"Is this Jasmine Fowler?"

"Yes." I still don't know who this is.

"I'm Anthony Harrison. Michael Martinez's lawyer." What?

"Why does he need a lawyer?"

"There was an incident with a park being burnt." I had heard about that the other night. They aren't sure who started it, but had two suspects. One of them must be Mikey.

"And how can I help you?" I know Mikey wouldn't do that, but no way am I saying that.

"He says he was with you September 19." The night we fought.

"Yes, he was. He was here until 11."

"Can you testify that in court?" Court? He is actually being arrested for this?

"I don't know. I'll call you back." I immediately call Chris.

"What happened, sweetie?"

"Mikey's being arrested for burning a park, but I know he didn't do it. He and I were fighting that night. They want me to say he's innocent."

"Don't do it. If he goes to jail, he and Tara will leave us alone forever."

"But Mikey's innocent!" I do still care about Michael a little bit.

"Jazz, I hate to do this to you, but if you testify for him, we're over. You have to decide who you love more."

"Chris, are you serious?"

"Yes. Support him, we're over. Say you weren't with Mikey, we stay together." I know what I have to do and it doesn't take long to know it's the right choice. I call the lawyer back.

"Mr. Harrison, I made my decision."

"That's great! What is it?"

"I think we need to talk in your office."

*Michael's POV*

"I really hope we can get you out of this. I have a witness or two, but they are sketchy." That's what every innocent guy wants to hear from his lawyer. I see Jasmine and Chris walk in.

"Thanks for the help. I need to talk to people." I walk over to them. "Come to see my sorry butt hauled away?" Her eyes are shining. She's actually fighting tears back. I knew she still cared!

"Actually, Mikey......"

"You bet we are. She doesn't want you to feel bad, but I don't care." What a great guy he is. Long as she is happy, so were Tara and I. Lie, she told the cops I helped her. I kinda broke up with her then. There is no going back to her, not after she did that to me.

"Glad you care so much, Chris." I spit his name out and walk away. They put me on the stand and ask so many questions, but none about where I was that night. That's really weird.

"I call our only witness, Jasmine Fowler, to the stand." I turn around, in shock. Chris lets her out and gives her a look. She hangs her head and walks up.

"I swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth." Mr. Harrison walks up to her.

"Ms. Fowler, what do you know about Mr. Martinez?"

"A lot less than I thought." Her face falls and she wipes tears away.

"What do you mean by that?"

"We had dated for a year, then he cheated on me." I can see the pain in her eyes.

"So, you were pretty hurt over that. Weren't you?"

"Of course I was! I loved him with all my heart and he threw it all away!"

"So you have no reason to protect him. Am I right in saying that?"

"I want nothing more than for him to rot in jail." That stings. What is this guy doing? I thought he's supposed to make me look good here.

"I trust you'll answer this question truthfully then. Do you know where Mr. Martinez was on the night in question?" She looks at Chris, then at me, gazes at Tara, and finally back to Mr. Harrison.

"Yes, I know where he was."

"And was that at the park?" She looks back at Chris and I think she mouths that she is sorry. Is that for me or him? She opens her mouth to speak.

********************************************************************