Can't Let Go

Goodbye

Jasmine's POV:

I can't believe he didn't run after me. The door opened, but when he saw me leave, he went back inside. I drive home, crying the whole way. I run inside and sob. Times like this I wish I didn't have neighbors through a thin wall. They probably hear me and think I am being stupid. I hear a knock.

"Michael." I try to be calm, but secretly I am screaming. He came back for me like I knew he would.

"You still have my sweatshirt."

"Oh. I'll be right back." Of course he doesn't care about me anymore. I broke up with him. I give it to him.

"This is tear stained." What a jerk.

"I'm sorry. I got cheated on by the man I love and then I defended him, because that's what friends do, and my boyfriend breaks up with me! Excuse me for crying a little."

"Jazz, I'm sorry."

"Go away, Michael." I can't call him Mikey. That's not who he is anymore. I stay up the whole night watching sappy romance movies. It's about 2 in the morning when someone knocks. He came back this time. I open the door and was greated not so nicely.

"Go to bed you stupid girl. Oh my gosh, have you been crying?" My old guy neighbor. What stick did he have up his butt this time?

"Yes I have! I have a life and a heart!"

"Sorry I asked." He leaves. I still don't know his name, nor do I care to. I go back to my movie and am interrupted at 3.

"No, I won't go....oh Michael. Do I still have something of yours?"

"No. I have things of yours." I look in the box and see stuff I'd left over there. My emergency toothbrush, in case I fell asleep there, a ring, and a few other things.

"Thank you for returning it. Here's the necklace back. Maybe you can get some money back." I take it off and give it to him. We are really over now.

"Well goodbye, Jasmine." I shut the door. I walk back to the couch and then run to the door.

"Mikey, wait!"

*Michael's POV*

I just returned Jasmine's items to her. She gave me the necklace back and now I am holding it. It smells like her. Is this the end?

"Wait, Mikey!" I turn around, hoping to see her standing there, but there is nothing. I guess I just imagined it. I keep walking to my car and drive home.

"Mom, how do I fix this."

"Lifehouse." She has lost it.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Your song. You and Me. Sing it to her. If you still love her."

"Mom, I have always loved her."

"You have to let her know that."

"Why are you always right?"

"Experience, my dear son. One day Jasmine will be giving her kids advice. If you're lucky, they will be your kids. Just a warning, you don't have much time. You gave stuff back so know she is in depression, denial, and very angry. She finally sees that it is over and can't stand the thought."

"Thank you so much."

"Now go to bed. It is almost 4 in the morning."

"But it's Wednesday."

"And what do you have on Wednesdays?"

"We're recording today. Dang it."

"Michael."

"Yeah, we're recording today. I'm so happy."

"You don't have to be happy, just go to bed."

"Mom, if I ever move out, I will miss you bossing me around."

"Oh Michael, that's what a wife is for."

"So I can never get away from women bossing me around?"

"Did Jasmine boss you around?"

"Sometimes. She did it in our best interest. I don't get away from it, do I?"

"Afraid not dear. But it's good for us women."

"Good night, mom."

"Good morning, Michael."

********************************************************************