Can't Let Go

(20)

Jasmine's POV:

I am sitting on the couch watching reruns of Suite Life of Zach and Cody when Mikey calls me.

"Hey, what's up?" I couldn't be happier right now.

"Are you watching the news?"

"No, I'm watch...."

"Turn on the news." This sounds really serious.

"Why?" He is worrying me.

"Just do it!" I turn it on and see my dad's business. It's on fire!

"Mikey, I have to get down there."

"I'll meet you there." I get in my car and the police stop me.

"Let me in there. That is my father's business. I'm Jasmine Fowler."

"We can't let you in. It's bad and there are still people left." What is he saying? Did no one make it out yet?

"My dad made it out, right?"

"Sorry, Ms. Fowler, no one has made it out. The firefighters are doing their best to get in."

"Jasmine, honey, are you okay?"

"Alex!" I run to her. This is like the worst possible movie.

"What happened? I just got a call saying to come down here immediately."

"I don't know, but they said no one has made it out. They're trying to get in and rescue people. What if they don't get dad?"

"Don't talk like that. They will get him, and everyone, out just fine." The building is quickly burning. I am sobbing and she just holds me.

"Jazz." Michael runs over to me. The three of us stand there holding each other.

"Mikey." He joins us. It seems like forever, but was really just a few seconds when I hear coughing and then the voice.

"Alex, Jazz, Michael. It's okay now." We are all crying, except Mikey, but I know he is scared. Alex breaks free and runs, Mikey keeps holding me.

"Derek. Oh thank God you're okay."

"Of course I am, Alex. We all found a corner that was safe."

"So what caused the bank to burn down?" I am afraid he is gonna say it was Tara. I wouldn't be surprised if she tried this.

"We just had new lights put in and it was faulty electric cords."

"You two, get over here." I think I have to listen to my soon-to-be stepmom.

"I love you, dad."

"I love you, too, Cookie." I hug him so tight he thought he'd snap in half.

"I promise I'll try to visit more often." I can't believe I almost lost him.

"You don't need to. You'll be busy with your wedding and Mikey."

"Dad!"

"I do want grandkids."

"Der, maybe you should stop talking now."

"Alex, you really aren't as bad as I wanted you to be."

"Thank you, Jazz, I think."

"It was a compliment."

"I'm glad you two are finally getting along." My dad and Mikey say at the same time.

"So am I." She smiles when I say it.

"Oh, Jazz, we have to meet the realtor in a few hours."

"You two are buying a house together?"

"We are getting married, dad. It's that or my apartment."

"House is good. I wish you luck."

"Thanks, dad. Stay safe and when you rebuild the bank, use a different company."

"I will, Cookie."

"Cookie?" Michael asks when we are out of earshot.

"As a kid, I liked cookies. Problem?"

"Not at all. Cookie." He runs off.

"Mikey!" I chase him down. "Where's this house at?" I change the subject.

"Somewhere special." Now I am curious.

******************************************************************