Status: It's miserable and magical.

One of Those Nights

You look like bad news

Harry had always been a blast at parties. He made jokes, he flirted, and he was the brightest star in the room. If Harry Styles was at your party, you knew it –everyone did. He was the best dressed lad there, the one with the most numbers pocketed at the end of the night. Even if you didn’t know him all too well, you invited Harry Styles to your party because it guaranteed a great party.

Fortunately, Harry knew the thrower of this party, he knew him very well. Ed and Harry were great friends, they got together whenever time warranted. When Ed Sheeran and One Direction was not only touring in the United States at the same time, but also in the same city on the same night on both of their days off, it was too much of a coincidence not to celebrate. Ed had invited all his American friends, and the boys had invited theirs. Friends invited friends, who invited friends who, in turn, invited friends, and by the time the party was swinging, the small party hall Ed had rented was close to packed. Luckily there was just enough room left to comfortable mingle, but not enough to swing your arms out too far. And it was perfectly fine, everything was perfectly fine.

Among the guests was Ed’s good friend, Alex. Alexander Deleon was the lead singer in a punk pop band that went by the name of The Cab. They had a good following and were pretty damn popular –they’d only recently gone on tour with Maroon 5. Their friendship might confuse some –how did the soulful British heartthrob know the feisty Nevada born Rockstar? In reality, they had met a few years prior at –you guessed it- a party. In a way, it was like a beautiful marriage, bridging the gap between those who loved to rock and those who listened to their music on British radio stations. Fans on Twitter had gone crazy when the two tweeted each other, throwing questions at both of them. All went unanswered, because it didn’t really matter how they’d met. They’d met, and they were friends, and that was what mattered.

Now, one of the friends of a friend had arrived with Alex and the rest of the band. She had just gotten off tour with The Cab, and was now a regular friend of theirs. Her name was Savannah, and she was magnificent. She was electric, everyone’s head turned when she entered a room. In a way, she was nothing special, but in that exact same way she was sparkling. There was an air surrounding Savannah, it made everyone want to talk to her, to know her. Tonight she had arrived in a black ‘Hipsta Please’ tank top tucked into some simple denim high waisted shorts; with an old green cardigan she’s scrounged out of the thrift store, a studded headband to circle her curly head, and her favorite combat boots. It was almost an exaggeration of something she would normally wear, and that amused her to no end. She liked to think she was making fun of hipsters, which was strange because others would call her a hipster herself, if not toned down. But that was the thing with Savannah, she didn’t make sense –not really.

Harry had noticed her as soon as she arrived with Alex and his band mates. He’d been talking to a friend though, and felt it would be rude to walk away to talk to her. Besides, all eyes had been on her when she entered, and Harry wanted to talk to her with a bit more privacy. He didn’t need pictures of ‘his new lover’ all over Twitter before he’d even gotten her name.

“Well, there’s a fit one.” Niall whistled.

Harry nodded, watching the girl as she was introduced to five people at once, looking a bit overwhelmed. “You’ve got that right, mate.”

Harry managed to snag Ed at some point in the night, once everyone had settled in and the party was at constant frenzy, and asked about her.

Ed studied her for a moment before shaking his head. “Sorry lad, I’ve never met her. She seems to know Alex though, I can ask him to introduce you?” Harry just nodded, smiling at the thought of meeting her. Ed looked at the girl better, appreciating. “She’s pretty, yeah?”

“Very.”

“Alright, give me a second, I’ll talk to Alex.”

Harry simply nodded and watched as Ed walked away towards the brunette male before turning away and getting himself a drink. It seemed to last forever, the waiting. Harry was beginning to think Ed just introduced himself to the girl and left Harry in the dust. But Ed wouldn’t do that, of course not. At this moment, Harry wasn’t all too sure.

“Haz!”

Harry turned quickly at the sound at Ed’s voice, smiling widely when he saw his friend gesturing for him to join him. He rushed over, drink in hand, and looked at his friend expectantly.

“Well?”

“It was difficult, apparently Alex has been asked to introduce her to so many blokes tonight –he’s quite put out with it. But I begged and I pleaded, and he finally said yes.”

Harry brought his fist down in victory with a quiet ’yes’. He allowed Ed to lead him over to Alex, who was talking to another fellow with short hair.

“Alex!” Ed called, and both guys turned. Ed laughed. “Sorry, I keep forgetting. I meant Deleon.” The other Alex just smiled and shook it off. This must happen a lot, Harry decided.

Harry smiled at Alex when he walked up to him, and Alex gave him a half smile. “Alright, follow me.” He said.

“I wanted to really thank you,” Harry said to him. “I know you must be sick of this, I really appreciate it mate.” Alex just smiled and shrugged.

“No problem dude, good luck. You’ll need it.”

Harry was about to ask what he meant by that when Alex cleared his throat, and he saw they were right behind the stunning girl.

“Savannah,” he said, and she turned. Her smile was ready, full blast, when she turned, and Harry was taken aback.

“Alex,” she said in response. She saw Harry standing beside him and smiled at him. “Hello,” she said sweetly. Harry waved.

“Sav, this is Harry. Harry, this is Savannah. Harry’s in a British boy band. Savannah’s a wonderful singer who just released her first album. Have fun you two.”

And with that he was off, leaving the two to fend for themselves. Harry looked to the girl, Savannah, and flashed an award winning smile.

“Hi,” he greeted. Savannah continued to smile politely, but her eyes wandered over Harry’s frame. She smirked, and met Harry’s eyes again.

“Hi,” she greeted again. “How are you?”

“Fine, thank you. And you love? How are you tonight?”

“Not so good,” she sighed, frowning. “I got shampoo in my eyes when I was washing my hair earlier.” Her fingers briefly twirled a piece of her wild, reddish-brown curly hair. Harry hesitated, unsure of how to continue. He smiled.

“That’s a shame; I hope it didn’t do any damage to those lovely eyes of yours.”

And they were in fact lovely, brown in the middle, but closer to green around the edges. Savannah had gotten her eyes from her father, the only piece of her father she didn’t mind claiming. All her other features, thankfully, came from her mother’s side. Her mother’s button nose, her aunts full, heart shaped lips, her uncle’s small beauty mark on her left cheek. She’d somehow gotten her great grandmother’s eyebrows, which were nicely defined but a little misshapen at the outer edges, she didn’t mind though, and she refused to get them waxed. She tried once, it hurt like hell and really wasn’t worth it.

Savannah’s smile softened, and though it was still polite, it seemed more natural. “My eyes are fine, thank you.” She pushed some of her hair behind her ear, her smile widening. “So, Alex said you were in a British boy band? He couldn’t have been referring to One Direction, could he?”

“Guilty as charged,” Harry admitted, shrugging. “Please don’t tell me you’re a complete anti-fan and I should start running before you throw the grenade.”

“No,” Savannah laughed. “I’m a fan, actually. You guys are pretty good, I listen to you every once in awhile. And by every once in awhile, I mean a lot.”

Harry laughed. “You don’t seem like a crazed stalker fan though, so I’m guessing I’m safe from being mauled?”

Savannah shook her head seriously. “Oh no, I’m crazed. I stare at your picture constantly and dream of our wedding. Expect a mauling in twenty two minutes.”

Harry studied her for a moment, unable to tell if she was joking. She gave in and laughed, and he joined her, partially in relief.

“So are you having a good time then?” he asked, gesturing to the party around them. Savannah shrugged, then nodded.

“Yeah, I’m having fun. I almost didn’t come tonight, but then I thought- hey, it feels like a perfect night to dress up like a hipster and maybe get a little drunk, fall in love with a stranger or two.”

Harry looked down at her clothes and laughed. “Hey, look. We’re in the same club, yeah?”

Indeed, they were both wearing dark grey ‘Hipsta Please’ shirts, Savannah wearing a tank top and Harry wearing the t-shirt. Savannah laughed, shocked.

“Oh my god, that’s so cool. What are the chances?”

“I must say, I don’t look nearly as cool as you do.”

Savannah shrugged, smiling. “Well, we can’tall be as perfect as me, sorry to say.”

“Unfortunately,” he agreed, laughing. His eyes met Savannah’s and the two looked at each other for a moment, Savannah glad she had met at least one decent guy tonight and Harry unable to believe he was talking to someone as wonderful as her.

“Hey,” he said after a second, “You want to get out of here?”

“If you’re trying to get in my pants, Harry Styles,” she said sternly. Harry’s eyes widened and he immediately went to tell her that’s not what he meant, but she kept talking, startling him with a teasing laugh. “Then you’ve come to the right girl.”

Harry’s eyes widened even further, and he was speechless. Savannah laughed at his expression.

“I’m kidding. Just give me a second to tell Alex I’m leaving.”

Harry nodded and watched her go talk to Alex Deleon. His eyes lingered on her back side for a moment, and the thought of getting in her pants did seem appealing.

Savannah said something to Alex, who frowned. She quickly said something and made him laugh, and she smiled widely when he nodded his head.

Not as appealing, Harry decided, as getting to know her. Of course he wanted in those tight fitting high waisted shorts, but not tonight. Tonight he wanted to get inside that head of hers, surrounded by the crazy curls.

Savannah skipped back over to him, and the two left. Harry even covered her from paparazzi outside with his jacket, something she easily could have done with her own jacket. Harry let Paul know they were stepping out for a moment, and to stay behind with the other boys. Paul at first, of course, was not going to allow this, but then Harry gave him the puppy dog eyes and gestured to the beautiful girl next to him, and Paul stepped aside and handed him the car keys.

The two went everywhere –anywhere they could get in and not make a scene, of course. They went to the park and crashed someone’s rave and went to an arcade and stopped in a few stores, anywhere that was still open. Savannah insisted on taking pictures everywhere they went. “Because we’re matching!” She kept saying. And by the end of the night one look through her phone showed a lovely montage of two friends in matching t-shirts having the night of their lives. Some Harry took with his long arms, some Savannah took –even if pieces of them were cut out-some they took with a mirror reflection, others they got strangers to take for them. One of them Savannah took, it cut out some of Harry’s hair and missed the back of Savannah’s head, but she was kissing his cheek and he was smiling like a king and it was Harry’s favorite. In all of the pictures, their smiles were wide, their eyes were shining, and they were next to each other.

“So, where to next love?” Harry asked, maneuvering through the almost empty streets. It was close to midnight, and there were almost no cars on the back roads Savannah kept sending Harry through.

“I’m in the mood for pancakes.” Savannah said. Harry raised an eyebrow.

“Pancakes?”

Savannah nodded. “Chocolate chip pancakes.”

“At midnight?”

“At midnight.”

“Where are we going to get pancakes at this time of night?”

Savannah laughed and looked at Harry. “24 hour diners Harry, of course.”

“Oh,” Harry laughed, “But of course.”

“There’s a Waffle House coming up, turn at the next light.”

Harry nodded, and did as he was told. “You know, I hate the way you Americans drive. I have the hardest time with it.”
“I could drive, if you want.” Savannah offered. Harry shook his head.

“I’m the man, I drive.”

Savannah let out a big laugh, hitting her head on the back of the seat. She rolled her eyes. “Okay, then drive Mr. Man.”

The two reached the empty diner and were seated immediately, ordering their drinks right away. Harry asked for some orange juice, and Savannah requested chocolate milk.

“Come on,” Harry laughed. “Chocolate milk? Not even hot chocolate? How old are you lass, seven?”

“Don’t make me hit you,” she threatened. “One is never too old for chocolate milk, excuse me.”

“Alright, whatever.”

“Alright,” she mocked, a decent imitation of his accent, “Whatevah.”

“Don’t make fun of my accent, that’s rude!” Harry cried.

“Do not doubt a chocolate milk lover who has been scorned, Styles. We bite.” Harry laughed, and Savannah continued. “Besides, I couldn’t really make fun of your accent, it’s too dreamy.”

“Oh,” Harry smirked. “Dreamy?”

“Positively dreamy.” She nodded.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” he winked.

* * * * *


The two of them sat there for hours, just talking. The waitresses would have been annoyed, but every time they neared the table Harry would give them a dimply smirk and Savannah would complement their service, and Harry would make fun of her for being a kiss ass, and they’d start teasing each other again. The employees at Waffle House thought the couple was too cute to be annoying, and wished all their customers were as pleasant. The two could stay all night, for all they cared.

“So, can I ask you a question?” Harry asked, cutting into his sausages.

“You’ve been asking me questions all night,” Savannah laughed, swallowing a piece of her pancakes. “Just ask.”

“What in the world caused you to tell me about the shampoo in your eye, love? Seems like a strange way to introduce yourself.”

“Oh,” Savannah laughed, blushing. She cleared her throat and explained. “I was always an unusual girl-”

“You can say that again.”

“-shut up. Anyways, it can be a little hard sometimes to keep up with me, so I’ve been told. On average, I’m fairly normal –as normal as I can be, anyways. But sometimes I’ll get a little hyper, for example, or just be in a really good mood and start jumping around. Or maybe I’ll just start saying strange things, very strange things. Some people don’t like that, they think I’m too weird or something, and they bolt after awhile. So, I decided to introduce myself in a very strange manner, say some unusual things, and see who doesn’t care. Then, I ease into normalcy and we continue on with our friendship, and I know they won’t be weirded out if I ever start acting like the child I truly am inside. Does that make sense?”

Harry thought for a moment, and nodded slowly. “Yeah, I suppose it does. Sort of like a filtering system, yeah?”

“Yeah, like a filtering system. I usually only do it at parties, because so many people come up to me. I eliminate sixty percent of them with this method. I started with you, but then you called my eyes lovely and I melted –just a little bit, though. Don’t get a big head.”

Harry smiled at the girl, who was so proud of herself. She was very strange, but Harry had seemed to know that the moment he saw her. Even after all they had done, she still emitted that ethereal glow she had when she first entered the party. There was still this magnificent quality about her, shining brightly in the fluorescent light bulbs of the diner. Harry fed off her energy, and felt unstoppable around her. He wanted to feel this way always, he wanted to constantly bask in her bright lights.

“Are you liking your pancakes?” he asked, and she nodded.

“Yeah, I am. Thank you for paying –even though I totally would’ve paid, but you’re so god damn stubborn-”

“Will you give it a rest Savannah?” Harry pleaded, laughing. Savannah pouted briefly, but let it go and finished the rest of her pancakes. Harry paid the bill when they finished and Savannah asked for her chocolate milk in a To-Go cup, which Harry found hilarious. The two stepped out into the brisk early morning wind, walking towards the car.

“So,” Harry said, stopping at the driver’s side. “Earlier you said something about falling in love with a stranger. Shall we revisit that subject?”

Savannah laughed, smiling knowingly at Harry from over the car before opening her door and sliding in.

“We’ll see, come on lover boy.”