Status: if you're reading this then you currently have eyes.

Down and Out of Luck

chapter no.2

I was rudely awakened by a panicking Jimmy “Zoey! Zoey!” he stage whispered shaking me. “ugh, what’s the problem?” I asked sitting up “my friends are here! I don’t really want them to know about this” he told me pushing me towards the wardrobe “woah woah woah! I don’t wanna stay in the wardrobe while you hang out with your friends! Just let me get out of here, I’ll go hang out somewhere else!” I told him. I finally got a clear look at Jimmy; he WAS tall, and incredibly skinny, though there was a definite hint of muscle definition under his lanky exterior. He had straight black hair with the back spiked up, and beautiful blue-green eyes.

He paused, thinking for a few seconds “okay! Wait five minutes, I’ll get them in the studio, then you can go!” he told me, running downstairs again without another word. I looked after him, why didn't he want his friends to know I was here? was it because he was ashamed of having the dirty homeless chick in his house? I looked down at my feet and waited the five minutes, there was no noise from downstairs so I rushed down and out of the house, walking down the street.

I suppose I understood why he wouldn't want to be seen with me, but it still hurt a bit. I tried not to think about it as I came to a park, not just any park, the same one I was hanging out in yesterday with Chris. I took out my phone, now would be the perfect time to hang out with him and see if I could crash at his place for the night, or a few.

The phone rang or a while, until there was a chirpy “hello?” from the other side “hey Chris! What’s up man!?” I asked, a smile already forming on my face. “Hey Zee! You ready for round two already?!” he asked, laughing. I paused “sort of, I kind of wanted to talk to you about something, can you meet me by the park?” I asked. “Of course! Be there in ten minutes!” he said, making me grin.

I hung up, and sat at the base of a tree, as I was looking around I took note of the strange looks that people were giving me. I ignored them and continued to wait. As I sat there I began to think, was it even worth going back to see Jimmy, he didn't want me around obviously, if he was sneaking me around like this, I didn't have any stuff there either, no use going back just to say goodbye to the guy I hardly know. I was grateful for everything that he had done for me, but it was time for me to move in with Chris.

“Zoey?” I looked up and saw Chris, I jumped and pulled him into a bone crushing hug, I buried my face in his chest and stayed there for a while. He chuckled “hey there kiddo, missed you too” he chuckled “so, why are you wearing those baggy clothes?” he asked. I looked down and noticed I was still wearing Jimmy’s clothes from last night. “oh, i-uh, needed some quick clothes last night” I told him, realising that the clothes were probably the reason that people were looking at me strangely, the clothes were pretty big on me.

Chris smiled at me “what did you wanna talk to me about?” he asked as he pulled out a joint and lit it up, taking a puff and passing it to me. I took it and frowned “I got kicked out last night” I said, taking a puff of the joint and promptly passing it back to him. he frowned and took the joint, grabbing me around the waist and pulling me into his side “are you okay?” he asked. I nodded and leant into him.

“where are you staying?” he asked, looking concerned “I spent the night with a guy named Jimmy last night, but I can’t stay there, so I guess no-where. You don’t happen to have any room at your place do you?” I asked hopefully. He grimaced “ I am so sorry, I have a full house at the moment, my sister is visiting, not to mention a couple of other guys needed a place to stay” I nodded and looked down “that’s fine, I’ll find someone else”

“You can’t stay with that guy you were with last night?” he asked, frowning. I shook my head, “I can’t inconvenience him any more, he was trying to hide me from his friends this morning, he doesn't want me there” I sighed “I don’t really blame him of course” I finished, pulling my knees close to my body and burying my face in them. “hey, don’t worry, you’ll find something” he reassured me, kissing me on the forehead and resting his cheek on the top of my head.

Chris and I spent the entire day hanging out in the park, talking and smoking, we ended up snorting some shit as well. He even bought me dinner. Granted it was Taco Bell, but he still helped me out heaps. My best friend came through again, just like always. the temporary high distracted me and I didn't even think of the dilemma of finding a place to sleep tonight, I could always crash at the park, it would be cold, but I could handle it.

It was about 10.00pm when he said goodbye, giving me a kiss on the cheek and rushing home, leaving me alone. It was so cold, I was shivering as I curled up under a tree, It was far too cold to sleep, so I just sat there and relaxed, hoping that sleep would come.