Status: This is a longer, book-like take on one of my earlier short stories. Hopefully I will be able to fully turn it into something book worthy.

The Fire of the Fallen

Chapter Two: The Cave

They reappeared almost instantly in what looked, or rather, felt to be a very large, nearly pitch-black cave. As Sophie's eyes adjusted to the dim, dusty lighting, they immediately focused on a dark shape standing near her. Before she could back away, a voice rang out, "It's alright, Sophie. You are safe now." It took her a minute, but she eventually realized that it was the voice of the tall male that had been in her house. "What the hell is going on?" she stuttered, unshed emotion giving her voice a gruff tenor, as she tried to ignore the fact that the man standing before her was silhouetted by something large and...feathery? It was something her mind was refusing to accept.

He seemed to have an inner glow about him, the air around him was lighter than anywhere else in the cavernous dark. As if he knew her thoughts were focused on him, his glow suddenly brightened and he smirked as he stretched out his -UGH! He really does have wings! I must be dreaming...- thought Sophie, trying to convince herself. "This can't be real!" she whispered aloud. The whisper echoed into the depths and the man slowly lost his smirk. "It's real, Sophie," he said just as quietly, a conflicting look on his face, "You are being chased by something evil. I am your protector. A...Guardian Angel, of sorts. The name's Demian." His emerald eyes sparkled with a mischievous nature, capturing Sophie's blue ones currently filled with confusion. "There's something...chasing me? What?" her voice rising in intensity. She began to tremble with a combination of fear, shock, and the cold of the cave. "They are called the Shadows. They're after you because of your abilities. You are quite strong, Sophie, and that draws all manner of evil towards you," Demian explained slowly, taking measured steps toward her until he was a mere foot away. "This is too much!" Sophie cried, nearing hysteria. "First I discover my mom dead in her bed this morning with nothing but a note telling me goodbye, then I've been kidnapped by God-knows who or what you are, and now I find out something is bent on -what?- stealing my soul or...? This is just great! Fan-freaking-tastic!" Demian closed the distance between them, drawing her into his arms. She hid her face in his muscled chest, sobbing. He held her close, saying nothing, simply stroking her back soothingly.

Soon, Sophie calmed down enough to look up at him. FOr the first time, she actually saw his features - he was very tall, taller than she initially thought, with long black hair, and a strongly featured face. Sophie blushed, realizing she had been staring longer than she should have, and quickly backed out of his arms. "Take me back home," she demanded. Demian's eyes widened in surprise. "You can't go back. Don't you realize how much danger you're in? If the Shadows get you, your soul is theirs forever. An eternity of torture!" he countered defensively. "You must stay here until I can do something else to protect you!"
♠ ♠ ♠
this chapter is not finished yet.