Status: really and truly done.

I Don't Wanna Feel a Thing Anymore.

Stomach Tied In Knots

540 Days Ago

Kellin’s POV

The inside of the glass building was even cooler looking than the outside, and the blasting AC felt great. We stepped to the right and filed down a set of winding stairs. Along the walls were layers of posters advertising different gigs and festivals. We reached the bottom, which opened up to a dimly lit room filled with tables and lined with comfy looking couches. At the front, there were a few stools and a microphone. There were about 20 people here, all looking pretty relaxed. Vic stepped in front of me as I marveled at the great atmosphere. I followed him to one of the couches as Mike walked over to a table, hugging a small brunette girl. He led her over to us.

“Kellin, this is Frenchi.” Mike introduced, keeping his arm around her. She smiled at me.

“Hi, Kellin! Are you Vic’s boyfriend?” She asked honestly. I laughed, but it came out shaky and nervous.

“Nah, we’re just friends.” Vic said casually. The words seemed to make my heart drop in my chest. “I thought I’d show him around here though.” Frenchi nodded, and then waved as she headed over to a couch across the room with Mike. There was a slightly awkward pause between Vic and I. “That’s his girlfriend.” He added, stating the obvious. I kinda laughed again.

“So, when does this thing start?” I asked as we turned to sit down.

“Well, whenever the first person decides to go up.” He shrugged. I glanced at the guitar case that he had set down next to our feet.

“Can I use your guitar?” I asked tentatively. Vic looked up at me, a happy spark in his big eyes. I felt my heart speed up with nervous energy as he motioned me towards it.

“It’s all yours, Kell.” I opened up the sticker-covered case, taking out the glossy acoustic guitar. I smiled at him one last time before I turned to walk to the mic. I almost chickened out until I caught Vic’s eye, and he gave me a thumbs up. I sat on the stool and tapped the mic, causing a hush to fall over the small group of people.

“Uh, hi, my name is Kellin Quinn, and I’m gonna be playing an original song.” I said awkwardly. A few people clapped as I strummed the first notes.

Is there a right way for how this goes?
You got your friends and you got your foes…

My lyrics flowed out of me as if this was what I was born to do. I had never really played for anyone, but the people seemed transfixed. I couldn’t exactly take my eyes off of Vic, though. The second I finished, my courage was gone. I scurried back to the couch and took my seat next to Vic. The people clapped and a few cheered, which made me feel somewhat better. Some girl with bright red hair went up next, introducing herself as Hayley. But in that moment, the only one who existed was Vic. He grabbed my hand, causing my heart to leap into my throat. God, if only this boy knew the effect he had on me.

“Fucking hell, Kellin. That was amazing!” He gushed. I looked at his eyes, seeing only honesty reflected in them. I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks; I hope he couldn’t see me blushing. “I should have gone first, there’s no way I can top that.” I laughed quietly.

“Vic, I’m positive you’re great. Ten times better than me. You’re going next, okay?” I encouraged him. He twisted his mouth, clearly considering it. “Viiiiiiiiiic!” I begged, taking his other hand. His long fingers curled around mine. I glanced at the stage, noticing that the red haired girl was almost finished.

“Fine! I’ll go! But only for you, Kell.” I squeezed his hands before letting go. He stood and picked up the guitar that lay on the couch next to me.

“Good luck!” I whispered at him as he walked up. He looked even smaller from this distance, sitting under the bright light.

“Hey, I’m Vic Fuentes, as all your regulars know. Tonight, I’m gonna play you a new song.” People clapped more enthusiastically than they did for me or that girl Hayley; they clearly knew him. He started to strum on the guitar, which sounded much more beautiful than when I had played it with my clumsy fingers. Then he began to sing, and I swear my world stopped. His voice was high, like mine, but I could never compare. I barely even knew Vic Fuentes, but when he sang, I fell in love.

I breathe you in with smoke,
In the backyard lights.
We used to laugh until we choked,
Into the wasted nights…

Fuck, his lyrics were beautiful. They really were straight from the heart. His song was over too quick. Vic had a voice you could get addicted to, and from the first note, I knew I was hooked. He made a small bowing movement as the people clapped for him. He hurried back to my side, putting the guitar down. I stood up and pulled him into a huge hug. He was tentative at first, but then I felt him wrap his arms around me in return.

“Vic Fuentes, never doubt yourself again. That was fucking phenomenal.” I whispered to him. I felt him smile.

“Thanks, Kell.” He said, pulling away. He smiled at me. “I’m glad you came.”

“So am I.” I said honestly. This was definitely the best night I had had in as long as I could remember. As we sat down again, my hand found his, and our fingers intertwined.

After a few more people had performed, and Vic’s head had come to rest on my shoulder, I felt like I couldn’t take it anymore. I wanted to feel his lips on mine, I wanted his body, I wanted him. I glanced down at our legs pressed together. He was watching the person at the front, some blonde girl named Jenna. Our faces really were so close. He looked up at me, our eyes meeting. He had probably felt my gaze on him for some time. As his face tilted towards mine, I felt as if my heart was going into overdrive, and I had to walk my brain through this usually easy process. I almost never got nervous. Who was Vic Fuentes? Why the hell did he affect me like this? I felt him squeeze my hand. Our lips were about to touch-

“Hey, guys.” I recognized Mike’s voice. I gritted my teeth, turning to look up at him.

“Really, Mike? Fuck off, man.” Vic said in a half joking tone. Mike put up his hands defensively.

“Hey, whoa. Just letting you lovebirds know that I’m headed to Frenchi’s for the night, so everything’s all yours.” Mike gave Vic a not so subtle eyebrow raise. “You guys can, ya know, finish what you started!” He said before sauntering away, leading Frenchi over to the stairs to leave. Vic turned to me, a playful gleam in his eyes.

“So, Kellin.”

“Yes, Vic?”

“Wanna get outta here?”

Instead of answering, I grabbed his hand and pulled him up from the couch. He grabbed the guitar case and followed me out to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
there will probably be 3 or 4 chapters in a row taking place in the past :) i will try to update friday. enjoy!

-hannah c: