Status: on hiatus. just cuz.

Back to You

tenth.

It had been about two months since his breakup. Two months since Blair let him back into his life. He had finally settled into his own place, and it was much nicer than living with Zayn. Things were so uncomfortable there it was almost unbearable. He couldn’t stand it any longer.

The band was also another issue. No one was openly hostile to him, but they definitely liked him a lot less. He was sick of spending time with them. They weren’t treating him the same, and it was pissing Liam off. Except Niall, Niall was the most understanding.

He’d be upset if someone he’d spent hours with everyday for two years had kept a secret like that too. Liam understood that everyone was confused and hurt, but he wanted them to get over it. There wasn’t anything they could change and he just wanted to move on.

For now, that seemed unlikely.

Today was a good day, Liam decided. Blair had some errands to run, so she left Jordie as his place for the day. Babysitting had become a regular thing for Liam. The couple months he’s spent with the little boy have been the best of his life.

He was finally starting to feel like a dad. He was really nervous about that responsibility when this started out, but now it felt almost natural. There was a lot he still didn’t know, but he was managing just fine.

He was dozing off when he heard a knock at the door. Jordie had fallen asleep on his chest; his tiny arms were wrapped around his neck, holding on tight. It was a little awkward to stand while trying not to disturb him. He eventually stood upright with Jordie still asleep.

He opened the door to reveal Niall’s smiling face. Niall was around a lot lately. He loved Jordie so he usually came over when Liam was babysitting. The Irish boy smiled at his friend when he saw Jordie in Liam’s arms, fast asleep.

He quietly made his way into the flat and greeted Liam. “Hey, mate. How’s it going?” Niall asked quietly while letting himself into the living room.

“Fine. He’s finally asleep. You should have seen him earlier. He was bouncing off the walls.” Liam said with a small laugh, indicating to the mess in the room. He actually liked it when it got a little messy. He liked seeing Jordie’s things scattered about. It made him feel like he was really a part of Jordie’s life.

Niall laughed. He had seen Jordie when he got hyper and things got pretty crazy. Jordie was pretty great. It really bothered Niall that the guys were being such dicks about the whole situation. They would like Jordie too if they would just stop being mad at Liam.

“Its still pretty weird, you know.” Niall told him, looking at Liam and the sleeping kid.

“What is?” Liam asked, furrowing his brows.

“Seeing you in dad mode.” Niall admitted with a shrug. “Its really…different.”

Liam nodded, accepting the explanation. “It still feels pretty weird. But I good weird, I like it.” He said, rubbing Jordie’s back and smiling down at him. He had stirred at the touch, but didn’t wake.

“Are you ever going to go public with all of it?” Niall had been dying to ask Liam for months, but he never did. He was afraid of upsetting him. Today his curiosity got the better of him.

“I don’t know. I’ll have to eventually. Not anytime soon. And what am I supposed to say, anyway? I don’t like to think about it.” At that, Jordie’s eyes popped open and he sat up.

“Hello, you little monster!” Niall greeted the boy instantly.

Jordie giggled and shook his head, his shaggy hair flipping around. “Not a monster!” He told Niall, shaking a tiny finger at him.

Niall laughed and scooped him up, earning a delighted scream from the boy. Jordie liked Niall a lot. The two got along great and they always rough housed together. Liam laughed as the two ran around the living room. Jordie was chasing after the blond boy, insisting that he wasn’t a monster.

Blair entered the flat as they were talking another lap around the couch and Niall crashed right into her. Jordie laughed heartily, soon joined by his mom. “Always a pleasure, Niall.” She greeted him, a soft smile on her lips.

“You too, Blair.” Niall replied, blushing at his clumsiness. He heard his name being called by the little boy, telling him to come over. He turned away from him to join Jordie on the floor.

Blair had just wanted to pick Jordie up so they could go home, but he looked content to be playing with Niall, so she decided to stay a while longer. She took a seat next to Liam, who smiled at her.

“How did it go today?” She asked, angling herself so she could talk to Liam.

“Fine. We had a good day.” He smiled over at his son who was working on a tower of blocks with Niall.

“Was he eating? Because you know how picky he gets sometimes.” She asked, biting her nail. He loved that she said that. He did know how picky he got, and that made him so incredibly happy. He was starting to know Jordie really well.

“Yeah. Today was one of the better days.” He replied.

“That’s good.”

Blair and Jordie stayed for about an hour before that had to leave. Liam helped Blair grab his things then they took off. There was much complaining from Jordie. He was having fun with Niall, but eventually he listened to his mother and left with no more protest.

Jordie waved goodbye over Blair shoulder as she walked down the hall. He looked disappointed, and Liam thought it was adorable. After they were gone, the two settled back into the couch and started up a video game.

“I wonder if Jordie understands that I’m his dad.” Liam wondered out loud, not taking his eyes off the game he was playing. Niall looked over at his friend, the question had surprised him. He didn’t know what to say-so he stayed quiet.

***

A few days later, Liam was over at Blair’s place for dinner. That was something they did regularly now. Family dinner was always the highlight of his days. Usually, Jordie insisted on sitting next to him and Liam helped him eat. It was something that he really enjoyed doing.

Blair really enjoyed it too. She liked having Liam around. He always made her happy by just being around. Liam was the missing piece to their unique family that had finally found its way back. Jordie, Ben, Blair and Liam were as tight knit of a group as you could get.

Liam and Blair decided to do the dishes tonight, leaving Ben to attend to Jordie in the other room. “Tonight was fun.” Blair told Liam while scrubbing a pot.

“It was.” Liam agreed, drying off the silverware. They were standing so close to each other at the sink that their arms brushed as they moved.

“Jordie asked about you the other night.” She said, passing him the pot to dry then starting on a plate.

“Oh?” He said causally, now drying the pot.

“He asked if you were his dad.” The pot in Liam’s hands fell from his grip and hit the floor with a loud clank. Blair jumped at the noise.

“Really?” He was astonished. His hand ran through his hair as he processed what she had said.

“Yeah. I was tucking him in and he was like ‘where’s dad?’ And I asked him whom he meant and he said ‘Liam.’ I told him that you were gone, but you would be back soon.” She told him with a faint smile, which Liam returned.

It suddenly became so real. What he was, who he was. It was different when Jordie just saw him as a part of his life, like Ben. But now he identified him as he father and that made their relationship so much more real.

“Thank you.” He told Blair, puller her into his chest for a tight hug. They both gasped at the unfamiliar feeling. This was the closet they’ve been since they came back into each other’s life, and it’d been months.

“For what?” She said with a laugh, her voice muffle by his chest.

“For giving me a chance.” Blair pulled away and looked up at Liam. He brown eyes were swimming with so much love and awe. Liam had always felt things so deeply, and looking into his eyes, she could see that he loved their son as much as she did.

“Thank you for forgiving me.” She responded seriously, not breaking eye contact. Her arms were wrapped around his center still, keeping them close together.

Before either could fight off the impulse, their lips were pressed against each other. The feeling was so familiar, but so foreign. They had both grown older and more mature. Liam had grown more experienced she could tell by the way he cupped her face and deepened the kiss expertly.

Blair had moved her arms to his neck and he rested his on her hips, pushing her back into the counter, he tongue dancing with hers. They stayed like that for a few minutes, exploring, touching, tasting, before Blair suddenly froze.

Liam pulled away, confused and breathing hard. She looked shocked and confused. “Too fast. Way too fast. It’s not this simple.” She said, running her fingers along her swollen lips.

Liam placed his hands on her face again, shaking his head. “I’m in love with you, I never stopped. It’s that simple, Blair.”

Blair placed her hands on top of his for a moment, before pulling them off. “I love you too, Liam. I just don’t know that I’m still in love with you. We’ve changed so much. How is it possible that we are still in love?”

Liam opened his mouth, and then snapped it shut. They looked at each other for a few minutes. Blair was twisting her hair around her fingers, feeling uncomfortable under Liam’s intense stare.

“I’m not going anywhere.” Liam told her, now placing his hands on her hips and pulling her closer.

“Of course not, Jordie needs you.” Blair replied, confused by that statement.

“You don’t understand.” He told her, leaning closer so that his warm breath tickled her ear. “I’m going make you fall in love with me all over again.” At that, he pulled away, breaking their close contact. He gave her a warm smile and left the kitchen. She heard him bid Jordie and Ben goodnight then went on his way.
♠ ♠ ♠
eeeh. i had some real issues writing this....but i have updated and this story is ready to rock and roll... whhahaha!
thoughts? suggestions? comments are really appreciated:)
thanks to all my lovely commenters, subbers, reccers and readers. I love writing this story and I hope you guys like it!!!