Status: on hiatus. just cuz.

Back to You

fifteenth.

"He didn't kill anyone for hell's sakes!" Niall argued hotly. He had been arguing with the other boys about Liam. It felt like the thousandth time this topic had come up between them. And as usual, Niall was outnumbered and losing.

"Just drop it, Niall. I'm so sick of talking about this." Harry groaned, leaning back into the couch he was seated on.

"If you would just talk to him, I really think-" Niall started again. He wasn't about to give up. He could go back and forth for hours.

"Niall. Shut the fuck up. No one wants to talk to him, alright?" Louis spoke up.

"Why?! He's a good guy. And Jordie is an amazing kid! I don't understand why you lads are being like this." Niall spat coldly.

"Liam is a liar and a wanker. I dont want anything to do with him or his kid." Louis exclaimed, standing up from his spot on the couch and moving out of the room.

"Louis, come back!" Harry called after, getting up as well. Both the boys left the room, leaving niall and Zayn.

Niall looked at his dark haired friend and started to say something. Zayn held up a finger, silently telling Niall that he didn't want to talk about it anymore. Niall shut his mouth and looked at the ground sullenly. Zayn pulled out his phone and started tapping away, ignoring Niall completely. They were stuck in the studio for the day and couldn't get anything accomplished until Liam arrived. But he was running late.

"He's your best friend, Zayn." Niall said after a few minutes. Zayn's light eyes looked up to meet Niall's, Zayn looked really sad and torn up at the mention of his friend.

"Obviously not." He sniffed. Zayn tried to move past his anger, but he couldnt. Liam was supposed to be his best friend. Zayn told him everything but he obviously didnt feel the same way.

"He feels bad about it, he really does. If you would just hear him out then maybe-" Niall was cut off by the door being opened. He was releaved when he saw Liam enter the room. His eyes fell on Niall. He didnt notice Zayn curled up on the couch in the corner.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Jordie had the flu so I was up at like three in the morning with him. Then I went with Blair to the doctor to make sure everything was okay. He was running a nasty fever." Niall nodded at Liam. he looked knackered. His eyes were tired and his clothes were rumpled, like he had slept in them.

"S'all right." Niall told him. "Lou's off having a tempertantrum. Nothing is getting accomplished."

Liam looked uncomfortable at the mention of Louis. He absolutely hated working aroud Louis nowadays. The looks and the snide remarks drove him crazy.

He finally looked away from Niall and his eyes fell on Zayn. Their eyes met immidately because Zayn had been watching the exchange between him and Niall intently.

"Hey." Zayn finally said.

"Hey." Liam replied. Niall looked between the two and let out a dissapointed sigh. It really annoyed him that they were having problems. The whole band was acting like a bunch of girls and he was sick of it.

Harry and Louis returned before any of them could think of something to say.

"Look who decided to show up." Louis said sarcastically. He moved past Liam, making sure to bump his shoulder, and plopped down next to Zayn. Liam rolled his eyes at his antics. Harry sent Liam an apologetic look and took a seat next to Louis on the couch. The room was filled with an awkward silence until a producer came in and told them they could start.

Zayn felt pretty bad. The looks Niall was giving him all day made him feel like vomiting. His blue eyes were filled wtih not just anger, but dissapointment. Zayn could have delt with the anger. But that look in Niall's eyes made him really uneasy. When Niall couldn't see the good in you anymore, you were a pretty crappy person.

Which is exactly what possessed him to make his way to Liam's after the day was over. They were told to go home and Zayn waited a few hours, debating weather or not he should go to his flat. Zayn knew that he wouldn't be pissed anymore if he sat down wtih Liam. But he wanted Liam to understand how it made him feel to know that Liam kept a secret from him for so long. Zayn decided the he was being a pussy, so he got in his car and went to Liam's.

He took a deep breath and knocked on the door quickly, before he could change his mind. He heard activity behind the door, so he knew he was heard. He flinched when the door opened and Liam appeared. His face pulled into a look of confusion. "What are you doing here?" He asked, astonished.

"Uh," Zayn shrugged. He didnt really know why he was here. there wasnt anythign specific he had to day."I thought I would stop by, and uh, talk." He finally decided. Liam raised an eyebrow, but stepped aside so Zayn could enter.

"Sorry about the mess." Liam said sheepishly. Zayn looked around the space. It wasn't that it was messy, just a little unorganized. It was so unlike Liam. He was surprised. "Oh and I have company-" Liam started.

Zayn was about to apologize for intruding but stopped when he heard a tiny pattering of feet on the hardwood floor. A little boy with shaggy hair was running toward Liam after emerging from one of the bedrooms. He was in pajamas and his hair was out of control. Zayn dumbfounded as he watched Liam bend over and pick him up. Zayn had seen him in photos, but never really thought about how much the little boy looked like Liam. Liam had a nervous smile on his face.

"Dad," the boy whispered loudly in Liam's ear. "Who's this?"

Zayn's eyes grew wide when he heard him call Liam dad. Talking about Liam's son was one thing, but actually seeing it was totally different. All of a sudden, Zayn felt horrible for the way he had been treating Liam. It wasnt his fault that his life had worked out like this. The way Liam looked at his son convinced Zayn that he had done what he did to protect him. He really couldn't hold that against him anymore.

"I'm Zayn. What's your name?" He asked the boy pleasantly. Jordie's face took on a massive grin at the question. Although he tended to he shy, he did like introducing himself to people.

"Jordie." He said, wrapping a small arm around Liam shoulder to steady himself.

"Nice to meet you, Jordie." Zayn said, taking Jordie's small hand in his and shaking it. Jordie giggled at the exchange. The fun was interrupted by a massive cough that took over the little boy. A look of concern flashed across Liam's face when Jordie lifted his hands to cover his mouth. His eyes began to swim with tears at the feeling of his sore throat being irritated farther.

Liam tucked Jordie into the crook of his neck and carried him into the kitchen to get the medicine the doctor recommended.

"Sorry. Jordie's sick. Blair had to work tonight so I'm looking after him." Liam explained. He set Jordie on the counter and kept a firm grip on his back. He offered the medicine to him and Jordie swallowed it willingly.

"Do you want to go back to bed?" Liam asked Jordie, brushing some hair off his face. Jordie shook his head and lifted his arms up, demanding to be taken into Liam's arms again. With a smile, Liam complied. Zayn watched in amazement as Liam took his son into his arms. The look in his face was a kind of joy he had only seen his parents have. He knew it was because Liam had Jordie in his arms. Zayn was very impressed at the person he saw in the kitchen. Liam had become a better person in the past months, and Zayn had been to dumb to see it.

Jordie snuggled into Liam chest and took his shirt into his small fist. His big, exhausted brown eyes started to close. Zayn smiled at the sight of the small boy drifting off to sleep.

"He's gorgeous." Zayn complimented with a sincere smile. "You did good by him, Liam."

Liam's face relaxed at the kind words his friend expressed. He had wanted nothing more than to work things out with the boys. Mostly Zayn. He was the closest with him and it was hard to be without him the past few months, especially since they spent almost every day together.

"Thank you, Zayn." Liam smiled. "It hasn't been easy, but I'm the happiest I've ever been."

Zayn nodded, shifting his weight awkwardly on his feet. They were still standing in the kitchen, Liam was leaning in the counter and Zayn standing in the doorway. "I can tell." Zayn finally responded.

"Let me just go put him down then I'll make tea or something." Liam said, moving carefully as to not disturb the sleeping boy. Zayn stepped aside so Liam could leave the kitchen. He started heading toward his bedroom, and Zayn stayed back. When Liam pushed the door open and stepped inside, Zayn couldn't help but follow. He stopped in the doorway and watched Liam deposit Jordie on his bed and pull the blanket around him. Liam brushed the hair off his forehead and and smiled. He paused for a moment, making sure he was settled, then turned to leave the room. He jumped when he saw Zayn standing in the doorway.

"Sorry." Zayn whispered, heading back to the kitchen with Liam in tow.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Liam asked, pulling the kettle off the stove and filling it with water. Zayn sat down in a stool at the breakfast bar and put his chin in his hand.

"I don't know really. I just thought I should come by." Zayn admitted, chewing on the inside of his lip. "I'm glad I did." He added after a short pause.

"Why's that?" Liam asked, flicking on the stove and setting the kettle down. He leaned against the counter like he had been doing before, but this time crossed his arms over his chest. He raised an eyebrow at Zayn, confused at his comment.

"It just," Zayn began, struggling for words. "I guess I never really thought about you as a dad. I just saw the kid, you know? It seems stupid that I was mad at you for so long. You did the right thing eventually." Zayn finished with a shrug.

Liam cracked a satisfied smile. "Thanks, Zayn. I'm glad to hear you say that." He really was. He was so happy that Zayn had come around.

"You're doing a pretty good job from what I've seen." Zayn told him. "I always thought that out of all of us, you'd be the best dad."

Liam rubbed his neck bashfully. The compliment made him blush. He was glad someone other than Blair told him he was doing alright. "I'm trying really hard." Liam replied.

"I know. I'm sorry I've been such a prick. I let Louis get to me. He made a pretty convincing case against you, and I bought into it. I was still sore about the whole thing and it was just easier to turn a blind eye than try to understand, you know?"

Liam nodded, accepting Zayn's excuse. He knew that it was a lot to handle, so he really couldn't blame Zayn for being mad. But he was pretty bothered that Louis was trying to rally the boys against him.

"What's Louis saying?" Liam questioned. He tried to mask the anger in his voice, but it was hard to keep it in check.

Zayn looked uneasy as he considered his words. "Just that you're a twat for lying about it. And an asshole for ditching Blair. His whole argument is that you're two-faced and obviously don't want to be part of the group if you can't confide in us." Liam looked really hurt as Zayn explained the situation. "But I get it now. Why you kept it a secret. I would too. I mean, the kid is tiny, I can't imagine why it would be fair for the whole world to make him their business."

"Well, thanks." Liam said. He decided to disregard their conversation about Louis. It would just rile him up and he was tired of fighting the boys.

Zayn opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by the sound of the door to the flat opening. "Where are my boys?" A female voice called out. Liam smiled when he heard Blair.

Zayn noted the look of adoration that appeared in Liam's face as he called back to her. "Kitchen." He said.

There was quite a bit of noise that accompanied Blair into the kitchen. She was holding a lot off grocery bags that weighed her down. They swished together as she struggled into the room. Liam responded quickly and took the bags from her hands and depositing them on the counter. "I stopped by the store for you on the way over. Peanut butter and ice cream is about all you have in the kitchen." She told Liam as she leaned up to place a kiss on his cheek.

Blair turned away and finally noticed Zayn seated at the bar. She let out a surprised "Oh." To which Zayn responded with an awkward wave. "Sorry! Hi, Zayn. I didn't realize you were here. Am I interrupting something?" She asked, her gaze darting between the two boys.

They didn't look mad, so that was a good sign. Blair hadn't seen any of the boys but Niall come around in the past months, so she was shocked to find Zayn lounged casually in the kitchen with Liam.

"No, you aren't interrupting." Zayn assured her. "We were just chatting."

Blair looked confused, but she didn't press the topic farther. "Are you going to stay for dinner? I know it's a little late but there will be plenty." Zayn looked over to Liam who smiled an nodded encouragingly.

"Yeah. Sure." He said, accepting her invitation happily. He hadn't had a home cooked meal in a long time and he was eager to spend time with Liam and get to know Blair.

"Where's Jordie?" Blair asked Liam as she unpacked the grocrery bags.

"Sleeping. The medicine wiped him out." Liam told her. He decided to help her put the items away.
Blair laughed. Once the groceries were put away she started collecting the items needed for dinner. She shooed Liam out of the cooking area. He took a seat next to Zayn and they sipped at some tea as Blair cooked the food.

Conversation was flowing easily between the three. Zayn was blown away by Blair. She was so sweet and nurturing, and it seemed she knew Liam liked the back of her hand. She was nothing like Dani, Zayn noticed. She was laid back and was unconcerned with trivial things. From hearing her talk and watching the way she interacted with them, he decided she was the most down to earth woman he had ever met. She was perfect for Liam.

Obviously, Liam agreed. The looks he was sending her were full of pure love. He's never seen Liam look at Dani like that. Zayn was very glad that he was able to let his anger go. He got his best friend back. And he got to see him as happy as he's ever been.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm satisfied with this update. anyone agree?:) this was done on my laptop which was really difficult. so sorry if there are any atrocious errors.
so, my hard drive on my computer died a few nights ago. it was really frustrating because i had a lot of chapters ready to be posted, not their gone. so this is a rewrite. i like it better than the first anyway! maybe i'll get my stuff back, we'll see.

***also!!!*** keep a look out for my new story Reckless! i was inspired a few nights ago while listening to my ipod. i had the first chapter ready until my computer went to shit. its okay though. i'm really excited about it. the basic idea is the the girl is dating harry, but she's pretty "reckless", so she starts cheating on him with zayn. she's kinda unconcerned with anyone else's feelings and just does her own thing. i like bitch characters so i'm looking forward to this.

thats all. thanks for reading.