Dirty Tricks

Boo

It wasn’t the best idea to take the forest as a pathway, but it was the quick. Her usual way home was now a path to be avoided. During this time of year, as it neared Halloween, the older kids liked to play tricks, just for a scare. And they were nowhere near innocent.

As Verona made her way through the murky forest, pushing away overgrown fern and long branches, she heard a distinct sound of a leaf being crunched. She turned around and squinted, hoping to see just a fox scrambling over fallen leaves. Instead, she saw nothing. She shrugged and continued to walk, humming a merry tune to keep the walk less dreary. About two minutes later, she heard it again. This time, it was a loud snapping noise of a branch. She turned quicker and knew that someone was following her.

It must be Jeremy, She fumed to herself. He was a huge fellow who liked to pick on her the most. His very presence almost always results in something being taken. And she couldn’t do anything to prevent it. The very comparison between them was a mouse to a cat.

Jeremy must have seen Verona sneak away to the forest. She knew he had already plotted his trick and was coming to get her. Instead of turning to confront him, which she wished she had the courage to do, she simply started to walk faster. She hopped over logs and reluctantly walked in the mud. Anything to create a huge amount of distance between Jeremy and her.

She walked even faster. Five steps per second. Apparently Jeremy had the same mindset. The hairs on her neck began to stand as the footsteps were starting to sound closer than ever. She could feel someone’s hot breath brush against her neck and the lightest touch trace her skin. She screamed in surprise and lost concentration on her footing, causing her to accidentally trip over a feeble branch. Quickly, she tried to get up, but winced from the sharp pain on her heels. She lifted up the fabric from her ankle and saw her skin swollen, blistered from her new shoes, too small for her size.

She wasn’t scared the first time she ventured into the forest, but all has changed.

She was still flat on the forest floor, terrified, and caked with mud. He got her. She closed her eyes, waiting to hear his signature victory laugh. Instead, she heard complete silence.

Truth be told, that was even scarier.

Verona started to squirm in the mud as she felt something wrap around her leg, clasping them as tightly as rope digging into flesh. She wanted to scream, but she couldn’t find her voice. She was being pulled now, her frail body being dragged against the earth, her hands desperately trying to claw at something to hold on to. Unfortunately, he was stronger.

This is the cruelest trick of all. She thought as she was dragged into the darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
End.