Status: In Progress

It's Just a Game

11.

"Today you will be learning about your own family histories." Meja droned, looking at each contestant individually. She took the time to make eye contact with every one of them. "Each and every one of you comes from some place very unique. Not one of you is the same and you deserve to know where you came from."

Rose thought of an old science-fiction story that Charlie had had her read, about these aliens who memorized their entire family lines. Names and occupations. She'd later had Juliet read it and she wondered if this reminded her friend of the same thing.

"All of you will please come grab a tablet and a pair of virtual reality glasses. These tools will help you fully understand your heritage."

There were many things I didn't know about my family. didn't know that I could trace my lineage back to the 1900's! Her mother had done a bit in the fashion industry, her father had worked on a factory assembly line before non-mechanical workers had become obsolete. Other than that I knew absolutely nothing f my family. There's been a glass blower, a black smith, a carpenter, someone who worked with computers. All of these useful occupations made me feel like my family had been a good part of history. Even if none of my relatives made it into the history books or made the world a better place in some profound way.

I knew from watching the show over the years that the first challenge is usually one which has to do with survival. I had absolutely no idea what sort of life-or-death situation could be twisted out of my family history, but my opponents family I knew nothing about. We wouldn't be given the name of our competitor until one hour before the match. At that point it became a race to see which one of us could find out the most about the other in that short time and prepare yourself in whatever way possible.

I lay on my bed next to Juliet with my hands covering my eyes. "I want to be a teacher, J, not a warrior. I'm going to die in the first challenge."

"Have you looked at me lately?" Juliet groaned, "I can't even survive an argument."

We laughed, but I really was worried for her. She underestimated herself, but not by much. Juliet was small and not very strong, but she was fast. That could really help her in the end.

Dinner before the premiere of the games was tense. Alexandria tried chatting with several contestants to break the silence, but nothing came of her efforts. That was the thing, though. After getting to know one another over this short time we couldn't all be friends anymore. Once again we were nothing more than competitors.

Meja stood at the end f the dining room table. "Isn't this just lovely? From the first day to your last. This will be the last time you all will be together." She smiled for a moment, allowing her statement to sink in for all of us. "Anyway. When your alarms go ff in the morning two of you will have a name projected on your door. That will be the name of your opponent. You will have exactly one hour to find out all you can about your opponent then you will be extracted from your separate research chambers and taken to the ring of the Game where your challenge will begin. Finish your meals and sleep well!" She slipped out of the dining hall without another word letting them stir in each others company and wonder which of them would not be joining the group tomorrow for their next meal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've been on a hiatus. I started college and am having trouble finding time to write. I'll be updating all of my books as often as possible given my time restrictions. Thank you all for reading. Don't be shy, leave some feedback!