Status: In Progress

It's Just a Game

4.

"Sweetie, wake up. You're going to miss the monorail." My mother's hear-shaped face was directly over mine when I opened my grey-green eyes. The bangs of her mom cut hung down, tickling my nose. She sat on my stomach, knocking the air out of me. "Come on, wake up!"

She closed the door behind herself and I climbed blindly out from beneath my bed covers. I'd woken up from a bad dream yet again.

I dressed in black slacks and a white, pinstriped blouse because I had to give my speech today in debate class and wanted to look nice. I combed my unruly brown hair and lightly lined my eyes with a purple liner. I dotted my lips with a clear gloss and ran out making is just in time for the monorail to meet at my stop.

Charlie stood to take my hand, as he did every day, to help me into the cart and let me sit in the last seat available. He prepped me for my debate until we arrived at school and had to go our separate ways.

I was half way down the hall when he caught up with me, spun me around and kissed me longingly on the lips. He'd never kissed me this way before. It was the kind of kiss that left you glowing. The kind that leaves the feeling of his lips on yours for a few minutes, even thought they're not really there anymore.

"Yes?" My voice sounded breathy from surprise.

"I just feel like I've been more focused on work than you. It's been a long time since I've spent time with just you, without my, or your schoolwork into the equation. I was thinking about it a lot last night and I'm going to make it up to you. Tonight is all about you, Rosie." He took my hand and kissed the tips of my finger. "I love you, Rose Katherine Young."

"I love you, too, Charlie." I breathed.

My bracelet started vibrating and Charlie sighed, letting go of my hand. "You'd better get going."

I gave him one last fleeting kiss before I started running down the hallway, my backpack smacking against my butt with every stride.

These bracelets were given to every student and were the only "uniform" we ad. They were only used for emergencies, though, so that students would run to the main office building.

The door hit the wall when I swung it open. My hands were shaking when I approached the front desk. The secretary pointed me in the direction of the assistant principal, Mrs. Ray's, office, who was a family friend. Tears sprung to my eyes while I thought of my mom this morning, so happy, and I prayed that she was alright.

"Miss young, sit down."

Juliet walked in then, too. The moment she saw me she wrapped her arms around my neck. "I was so worried about you." She whispered.

My spine stiffened when our homeroom teacher walked in. Then my second hour teacher, and both of our third hour teachers, and so on. Mr. Vaeda walked in last. The look he bore radiated seriousness, worrying me further.

The bell rang for classes to begin, but none of us moved. I took Juliet's hand and squeezed, trying to give her a bit of moral support.

Our home room teacher, sniffing due to the cold she was still recovering from, stepped forward when she realized that the assistant principal would not. "Girls, it's great to see you after so long." She smiled broadly and genuinely at the two of us. "And I've got some fantastic news!"

From the looks of Mrs. Ray and Mr. Vaesa's faces, I knew that the news was not actually good.

My eyes widened in realization when it dawned on me what was happening. "No." I stated flatly, rising from my seat. "We're not doing this with Juliet in the room." I turned back to her and placed both of my hands on her shoulders. "Get up. You're leaving."

Mrs. Ray got up from her chair and several other teachers came to my side. All of them talking at once.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me what's going on!" Juliet shouted. She stared up at me with those big brown eyes that I have such a soft spot for.

"Jules, they're taking me." I said, face set, trying not to give away my anger.

Everyone was still shouting because I was shoving them all away while trying to usher her out of the room. Someone grabbed my elbow and I swung back, jabbing someone in the ribs. I saw brown curls go down in my peripheral vision as Mr. Vaeda buckled over.

I spun on my heel, apologizing as quickly and as much as my lips would allow. He put a hand up to silence me. Once I'd stopped trying to get Juliet out, who was now clinging to the back of my shirt, everyone else quieted down, too.

Mr. Vaeda stood, towering over me, and put a consoling hand on my shoulder. "Rose, they want both of you. Juliet has been chosen as well."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope y'all are enjoying this story :) Comments?