Ultimate Animal Understander

Eldron Labs

Alonzo had just arrived at Eldron Labs. He exited his black Honda and hurried his pace to the 2 story laboratory. After he walked in, he went right up to the front desk.

“Hi, earlier I made a call to Dr. Hummers and said I needed a rat. He said that it would be ready for me to pick up.”

“Right, right. He informed me of your coming. Said send you up right to his office. Do you know where it's at?” asked the secretary.

“Yes ma'am. Thank you,” replied Alonzo, and then he pressed the up arrow on the elevator. He stood there waiting. Finally, it opened and a lady in a white lab coat walked out. Alonzo walked in before it closed. Suddenly, he heard someone shouting, 'Wait! Wait!”, and reached his hand out to stop the elevator from closing.

A man with tons of hair littering his otherwise spotless lab coat walked in. He smelled like a wet dog. “Thank you,” he said with a nod of his head. “Were you just going to stand here inside the elevator?” the man then said and reached over and pressed 2, the button that Alonzo had blindly forgot to press.

“Uh, I guess so,” he replied to the man.

“Grifford,” the man said and extended his hand out.

“Alonzo,” the professor said back, and shook Grifford's hand.

“So, what are you he...” Grifford's question as left unfinished because the elevator decided to ding then open its doors to the second floor. He turned left and swiped his key card into a room labeled testing.

Alonzo turned in the opposite direction, right, and walked down the long hallway. He soon found the owner of the laboratory's office and gave a slight knock.

“Come in!” an aged voice yelled and Alonzo softly turned the doorknob and walked in.
---- ---- ---- -----
“Why don't you come and check it out? It might prove useful to your...tested animals,” Alonzo said.

“Not in the mood. Just take the rat and leave,” the old man replied.

“Here, take this,” Alonzo now said as he extended a ten dollar bill to Eldron.

“No, I don't need it.”

“It's the least I can do.”

“No, the rat's lame anyway. As you can see, he has a broken leg. Just take the raggedy thing.”

“Ok, fine,” Alonzo gave in and slid his bill back into his pocket. He picked up the rat's cage by its handle, shouted a quick, “Good day!” to Eldron Hummers, and took the elevator back down to floor one. He put the cage with the stinky rat into the trunk and got into the front seat. He put the key into admission then started the drive back to his house.