Status: Active

The Political Assistant

The Offer

“Mackenzie, I think I might have found you a job.”

I looked up from my book to see my dad standing inside the doorway of the living room. I raised an eyebrow.

“Really? Where?” I asked excitedly, setting the book on the table next to me and leaning forward. I’d been looking for a job for a year now, and believe me, you were hard-pressed to find a job in this economy.

“Well, I was talking to my friend Joe, and he has a son who is looking for an assistant,” he said, and I smiled.

“What’s the company’s name?”

“Well, see…he doesn’t exactly work for a company…” my dad said slowly, avoiding my gaze.

“I’m not following, dad,” I said, furrowing my eyebrows.

“He’s running for Vice President with Congressman Bailey,” he said quickly. I scrunched up my nose and frowned.

“Absolutely not!” I exclaimed before grabbing my book off the table.

“Look, I understand it’s not your first choice-” he began.

“Or my last choice either!” I interjected, looking up.

“But you need this job. With the economy the way it is you can’t afford to overlook a job that pays well and that you stand a good shot at getting. You know what your mom used to say-” he started again.

‘Beggars can’t be choosers.’ Yeah, yeah, I know dad,” I said with a roll of my eyes. “But I hate politicians. All they do is lie, and then when they get elected and don’t do a good job they just point the finger at somebody else. It’s never their fault,” I said sarcastically.

“Do you want to go to college or not? I just got laid off at work, and we have all those debts your mother left us with-”

“I know, dad,” I said, getting angry. Why did he always have to bring mom into this?

“The point is, I can’t afford next semester’s tuition, and you don’t have any scholarships to help with the costs. You need to find a job or dropout of college and get stuck in a minimum wage job for the rest of your life.”

“If it’s between that and working for a liar who is going to help destroy the economy, then I think I’ll take my chances at McDonald’s,” I said, opening the book and trying to find the page where I left off. I heard my dad sigh and a minute later he took the book from my hands and laid it on the table. He kneeled down in front of me and took both of my hands in his.

“Look, Mackenzie, ever since you were little you always told me you wanted to be a nurse. You would run around the house with bandages and that little doctor’s kit I bought you, yelling about germs and diseases. You’re a bright young woman and you’re finally working towards your dream. You already completed three years of training, which means you’re more than halfway there. I don’t want to see you give it all up just because you’re too proud to apply for a job that you could get if you wanted too, and I know you don’t want to give it up either. Just suck up your pride and give it a try, that’s all I’m asking. If for nothing else, do it for me,” he said, looking at me with pleading eyes.

“Fine, I’ll apply,” I sighed, rolling my eyes. “but I doubt I’ll get the job.”

“All I’m asking is that you try,” he said with a smile. He patted my hands before standing up and pulling something out of his pocket. He handed it to me and I unfolded the paper to see an application form staring back at me.

“Fill that out and I’ll give it to Joe tomorrow when we go fishing,” he said before walking out. I smiled; my dad and Joe have been best friends since high school, and they always go fishing every Sunday morning-the only day my dad has off between working two jobs just to pay the monthly bills. I let out a sigh and felt guilty.

My dad worked hard to provide for me, and there I was, about to turn down a job just because I hated politicians. Well, I would just have to put aside my own feelings until I completed my degree and could find a good paying job. After all, I only had a year to go. I would only have to put up with the insufferable politician for a year, then I could find work I actually wanted to do. Yeah, I just had to keep telling myself that. With a deep breath I picked up a pen from the table and started to fill out the application.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a start, the other chapters will be longer. So, if you like it leave a review and tell me what you think. =)