Status: In Process

Protecting Her

Chapter Four

Lyndsey's POV

The goosebumps on my arms made my teeth chatter together. I had just gotten out of the shower and I was changing into some pajamas which happened to be shorts and a baggy shirt. I've never lived in the cold, so I never bothered getting warm clothes. Now, I'm starting to regret that decision. This cabin looks like a brand new house. It's like no one has even been here. There were thankfully 2 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the second floor while there was a bathroom on the main floor. Brian said there was a basement too, but I had no interest in going down to see it. I've had enough scary things to see and creepy basements weren't exactly my forte.

I took a brush to my brown hair and brushed out all of the tangles. As soon as I finished, I decided to go see what Brian was up to. I walked out of the bathroom, feeling the cold air wisp against my bare legs causing me to cringe. We've been here 3 hours and the heat still hasn't kicked in. I started to walk down the stairs and I couldn't warmth getting closer with each step I took. I heard a little cackle from the living room and I decided to investigate.

Once I walked in, I noticed the fire blazing in the fire place. A smile formed on my lips and I walked over to the couch to sit on it. I pulled my legs up to my chest and I wrapped my arms around them. The heat from the fire was circulating in my direction and I was loving every second of it.

Brian walked in with a couple of logs in his arms. He set it down beside the fire place and stuck another piece in the fire. He turned towards me and chuckled, "Not like California, is it?"

I just scoffed while rubbing my legs, hoping they would warm up. Brian walked over to the chair on the other side of the room and grabbed an afghan off of it. He walked over to me and tossed it on me. "Thanks." I said while wrapping it around my body.

He sat down on the couch next to me, "Well, I'm definitely going to have to do some food shopping tomorrow, but there is some hot cocoa. Do you want some?" He asked while turning his head in my direction.

"Sure, do you want me to help you make it?" I asked while pulling the afghan off of me, feeling my legs get cold again.

Brian shook his head, "No, you warm up. I'll make it." I didn't bother protesting. I let him get up and walk into the kitchen. I was starting to feel extremely bad to how I've been treating him lately. He was right, he wasn't the bad guy. He's just trying to help me and I'm being a bitch.

I gazed off into the fire and let my mind wander. My life is so screwed up right now. I just found out my Father was in the mob business and his enemies killed my mom. Now they're after me. I guess it could be worse. Brian could of just left me alone and I could be dead right now, but either he's just following orders or he actually has a heart.

"You, okay?" Brian asked and I snapped my head in his direction. I gave a silent nod as he handed me, my hot cocoa in a coffee mug. I carefully sipped it as he sat next to me.

Once the hot cocoa made me warmer, I placed it an end table that was next to me. I turned to Brian and sighed, "Look, I'm sorry I'm being rude or bitchy. I just.. it's hard." I couldn't even find the exact words to describe it.

Brian seemed to understand, "Lyndsey, you don't need to apologize. You've been through a lot, I should be a little more considerate." He said while placing his hot cocoa on the end table on the other side of him.

"I still had no reason to act like that towards you. I'm actually a really nice person. I just guess with the circumstances and all, I just kind of let the best get of me." I played with a piece of string on the afghan while speaking.

I watched him reach out and place a hand on my arm. It was really warm and a small smile formed on my lips as I looked up into his dark filled eyes. He was comforting me, "I just want you to know that you're not going through this alone. It's going to be you and I for a long time, until its safe again."

"When will that be?" I wondered curiously while still holding eye contact with him. It was hard to break away from such mesmerizing chocolate brown eyes.

His shoulders shrugged a bit, "I'm not sure, but let's try not to make the whole time hating each other."

I nodded, "That's sounds like a good idea."

Brian started to laugh, "By the way, your hand is fucking cold! Are you like a vampire or something?" He asked while removing his hand to tuck it into his jacket.

That made me roll my eyes, "No! I don't sparkle," He snorted at that and I shrugged my shoulders, "It's just really cold in here. I hate being in snow or any cold weather."

He unzipped his leather jacket and I frowned as he pulled his arms out of the sleeves. He handed it to me and I shook my head, "No way. I'm not going to let you suffer, plus I got this afghan." I said while lifting it up to show him.

"It's obviously not doing the job and I'm used to the cold. I did a lot of jobs in snowy states." Brian wasn't going to take no for an answer, so I took the jacket from him and put my arms through the sleeves. My arms were so tiny in them, but it was warming me up fast. I inhaled the scent which smelled like cigarettes and cologne. That made me curious, because I haven't seen him smoke.

Brian leaned back into the couch and rested his head on the back of it. I watched him close his eyes and the feelings I had from the Diner were slowly coming back. He was incredibly handsome. I'm sure he's married or has a girlfriend. I hope not, because that means he's stuck with me instead of her.

"What?" Brian asked and my cheeks got red, knowing he knew I was staring at him. I looked at his eyes to see that they were still closed.

A sigh escaped my lips, "I was just wondering do you have a girlfriend or anything? I mean if you do, then that's gotta suck, because you're stuck with me and that would make me feel really bad.." I rambled on and Brian finally opened his eyes.

He sat more straight up, "You ramble a lot, don't you?"

"Habit." I said while biting my lip.

Brian chuckled and ran a hand through his spiked up hair, "To answer your question, no, I do not have a girlfriend. I don't have any family either. I'm a solo kind of guy."

That made me frown, "What do you mean you don't have any family? Everyone has family..." I trailed off, while watching his facial expressions. He looked pained and I was started to regret bringing this subject up.

"Well, my mom left me at a crack house when I was a baby and the police found me, so they shipped me to my Dad. He was the only family I had until I turned 16. We were at a Bar & Grill celebrating my birthday, when some gang came up to us and asked my Dad for money. I knew he had a wallet full of cash, but he wouldn't give it to them. They shot him in the head and robbed his wallet dry. They told me that they would come after me next. I was scared and young. I had no idea how I was going to take care of myself, but that's where your Father comes in. He found me and took me in. He taught me how to fight, how to defend myself, and we even killed the gang who killed my Dad." Brian explained with tense shoulders and I felt so bad.

It was my turn to comfort him, "I'm so sorry, Brian. I thought I had it bad, but you have it way worse than I do. At least I didn't know my Father."

"I did though. Watching him die was like watching my Dad die all over again. Death is something I can never get used to, especially when it's people I care about." He said while resting his elbow on the arm of the couch.

I didn't really know what to say at the point so, I just kept quiet while looking into the fire. There was a quiet moment between us, except for the cackling of the fire. I was started to get tired when out of the corner of my eye, I saw something crawling on the floor. My head turned to the side and my eyes bugged out of my head, "OH MY GOD! A RAT!" I screamed and Brian looked to where I was looking and started laughing, "It's just a baby one."

"It's still a rat!" I exclaimed and glared at him, "Kill it!"

He shook his head, "No! He can be our pet."

"Rats are not pets!" I said while wrapping my arms around my legs again. I was scared of any type of bug or rodent. Rats fall in that category in my book.

Brian was laughing at my actions which caused me to glare at him, "I'm glad you think this is funny." He smirked and I refused to move an inch. Finally the rat scurried off, but I was still afraid.

He got up from the couch, "I think I'm going to call it a night. Tomorrow, I'll go into Town to get some food and I got to makes some calls to see what's up with all of the people after you."

I grabbed his arm, "You can't leave me here with that THING!" I pleaded while gripping his arm tightly.

This made him laugh even harder, "He's more scared of you than you are of him."

"I beg to differ!" I scoffed and Brian grabbed my arm, "C'mon, I'll walk you to your room to make sure the big scary rat doesn't hurt you." He said in a sarcastic tone, but I followed him slowly.

We finally got to the stairs and there was no sight of the rat. I sighed in relief and let go of Brian's arm. Just as I was about to put a foot on the stair, the rat showed up. I screamed at the top of my lungs and jumped onto Brian. He was clearly getting a kick out of this, "Oh my god, my stomach hurts!" He exclaimed while laughing some more.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, "Carry me up to my room!"

He finally stopped laughing, "Are you serious? It's just a rat."

"Exactly, it's a rat! I hate them, just please carry me!" I said while holding onto him for dear life.

Brian sighed, but nonetheless starting walking up the stairs. He stopped right outside the door for the room that I was staying in. He placed me on my feet and I examined the floor before opening my door.

Just as I was about to walk in, Brian gasped, "Oh my god, there's another one!"

"Where?!" I exclaimed while looking around trying to find it.

Brian was laughing again and I realized he was messing with me. I turned my head back to glare at him, "This isn't funny!"

He shrugged, "Ya know when I was told to protect you, I really didn't think it would be from rats."

"Ha-ha, goodnight!" I rolled my eyes while slamming the door in his face. I walked over to the bed when I heard him call out, "Have a sleep with the rats!" He laughed another time and I crawled into the bed. I realized that I still had his jacket on, but since he loves making fun of me then I'll just keep it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to the following people who left comments on the previous chapter:
Jellybean Swag
Mari_Raven
Vintage Vengeance
KillJoySynner
A7X-PapaRoachLvr
You guys rock<3

Image