Status: newbie.

Every Word Sounds Absurd

for want of the price of tea

Rolling awake the next morning, I sat up and yawned, remembering it was Saturday, the beginning of the weekend and casual dress. I stretched as I got out of bed, grabbing some fresh clothes and jogging down to the showers, stripping and starting the water as I heard some other girls enter.

"I mean, didn't you see Harry run after her? It was pathetic! Like she's something special..." one scoffed. My chest tightened almost immediately, knowing that they were talking about me. "I know. Like she'd have a chance with him! She's bloody hideous and so fat. It's disgusting. He probably just wants to shag her and move on just for his record, you know? I mean, why would he want her when he has girls like Stella chasing after him?"

I covered my mouth with my hand to hold back the sob that was perched on the tip of my tongue. Even here I can't fit in or be liked. The tears began to freely stream down my cheeks as I blocked out the two girls' words and bathed and dressed quickly, running past their showers as I exited.

My eyes were now puffy and red again as I briefly returned to my room to grab my student i.d. and venture to the library. I'd really rather not cry anymore.

The library was only a few corridors away, being mostly empty as it wasn't even noon yet. I scanned over the Classics section before settling on reading The Picture of Dorian Grey. I sat on one of the dark brown, leather loveseats in the middle of the room, opening the book and diving right in with my legs curled up under me.

"Oscar Wilde? I never would've picked you to like his work..." I looked up as soon as I heard his low, gravelly voice. I shrugged weakly at him, shifting my gaze back onto page forty-eight. "There are lots of things you don't know about me, Harry. You and I aren't very well acquainted at all." Feeling the spot next to me sink as he sat down, I decided not to look at him again. "We should change that, then. Finish what we started yesterday afternoon."

A soft sigh passed my lips as I saved my place and closed the novel in hand. "There isn't enough time in the world for you to ever finish getting to know me. You never really know someone, Harry. Not really. Not everything about them." The corners of Harry's lips twitched up into a cheeky smile as he rested back against the loveseat. "Much like in the novel then, yes? Lord Henry thinks he knows Dorian so well, and yet he doesn't know his one true secret. He doesn't know or see him for what he is, for what his soul is. Not until the end, anyway. When it's far too late for anything to be done about it."

I furrowed my brow questioningly at Harry. "You read?" A soft chuckled emitted from his mouth as he looked down as his hands in his lap, gently shaking his head. "It seems that we really don't know each other, do we? Well, for my first question on the subject of exploring your mind, I'd like to know why you dress this way." The words left his mouth slowly as he adjusted his whole body to face me, his right arm sitting up on the back of the small sofa as it propped up his chin. I swallowed somewhat hard, looking down as I attempted to find an answer for him.

"I..I don't know..." I nearly whispered, putting the book down on the coffee table across from us. "I just.. I'm not pretty and I know I'm not, so why would try to act like I am? It's pointless, no one notices me, anyway. I like..being frumpy, I suppose you could say. It's comfortable." As soon as I met his gaze, I was greeted with a hard frown.

"What do you mean you aren't pretty? Love, you're beyond beautiful. Are you honestly going to tell me you don't see it?" I could hear that he was upset by the way his voice lowered an octave and how he clenched his fists slightly, a slight blush creeping onto my cheeks. "I..I'm ugly, Harry. You don't have to try and spare my feelings, I know the truth. It's been made painfully obvious to me my entire life. I'll always be the ugly, fat girl. It's just part of life. You accept the facts and move on."

I watched him physically transform, a sort of anger taking over his features. "Ugly? Fat? Are you mad? Annie.. I've seen lots of birds in my life so far. And none of them, not one, can hold a candle to you. You're," he let out a long sigh, closing his eyes and concentrating, as if he were searching for exactly the right words, my heart pounding a painful tattoo against my ribcage, eager to hear what he had to say. "perfect, love. You're fucking perfect. And don't let anyone ever tell you any different."

With that, Harry promptly stood and was out the door of the library in a moment's time. I blush darkly at his words, shaking my head as I remembered his reputation around the school and the girls' words. He'll only use me.

I took the book and returned it to it's spot, already knowing how it would end. I walked down the many shelves of book, looking for something else to read. "He's right, Ms. Cosmos. But you really shouldn't be getting mixed up with that silly boy." I turned to see Mr. Worthington, dressed in grey dress pants and a dark blue cardigan over a white t-shirt. He approached me slowly, my feet instinctively moving me back against the shelf as he invade my personal space. "You need a man, my dear." he purred, leaning in slightly as he rose his hand to caress my jaw. "A beautiful young woman like yourself shouldn't waste any time with reckless, immature boys." His words came out in a rather low, menacing tone.

I swallowed hard, my palms sweating and my heart racing as I grew increasingly uncomfortable in his presence. "I-I have t-to go.." I choke out, practically running out of the building. I ran all the way to the full canteen and sat with the boy, my chest heaving from both the exercise and shock. "Baby, are you alright?" Niall mumbled as soon as I seated myself next to him. I looked at him slightly wide-eyed as he grasped my hand, nodding slightly as I shifted my gaze across the table to Harry. He looked at me shyly, not smiling at all, before flickering his eyes down to the bowl of cereal he swirling his spoon around in.

Image


The weekend ultimately meant us students were allowed to do as we please, and that included leaving campus. Many kids went home every weekend as they didn't live very far, while others just went down into the village, which the boys decided to do, dragging me along with them.

We walked out the front gates together in a group, strolling down behind a few other people who were also headed into town. "Aye, is O'Sullivan's still around? They had the best fish in chips I think I've ever had..." Zayn asked, looking down at his phone as we walked. Niall chuckled, grinning as if he were reminiscing about a time the boys shared together there. "I'm pretty sure, mate. Oi! And for whatever reason, their Newcastle is just better than anyone else's."

The boys all laughed in unison, a smile playing on my lips at the sound. "Do you like fish 'n chips, love?" Liam asked, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I flushed a soft pink color and nodded, looking down at the ground. "Good, then! We'll have lunch there then."

"Um," I said softly just so Liam could hear me, "when is the curfew? So I can keep track of time and all..." He smiled down at me and told me it was ten o'clock, but that we should head back at about nine-thirty.

As we strolled into the small town, I looked around at the quaint little house and numerous stores. I looked up as I Niall grabbed my hand and gently laced our fingers together, offering me a sweet smile. I returned the gesture as we approached a few small clothing shops and an antiques store. Louis, Zayn and Liam ventured into a popular looking clothing store that was very busy, as Niall and I stopped in between two shops, hoping to decide where to go. "What would ya like to see, baby?" he questioned, brushing his lips gently against my temple. I bit my lip and subtly pointed at the empty antiques store, a smile growing on Niall's face. He stepped forward and opened the door for me, a small 'thank you' passing my smiling lips as I stepped inside.

Looking around the room, I saw many things: trinkets, nick-naks, picture frames, mirrors, quilts, books, paintings, jewelery. They had a little bit of everything. I wandered around quietly, not touching anything as I explored and saw many beautiful things. "Why, hello." My head snapped in the direction of the counter in the back as an older gentleman came out from what seemed like a back room of the store and smiled at me. "I don't get many young customers in these days. Are you looking for anything in specific?"

"No, sir." Niall answered politely as he came up behind me, placing a gentle hand on the small of my back. "But we'll let you know if we find anything we like." The man nodded as he retreated back into the back of the store, my gaze returning to the books in front of me. Niall's hand soon found mine again, his thumb rubbing soft patterns onto the back of it. "Anything caught your eye yet?" he mumbled against my hair. I gently shook my head, both of our heads turning toward the door as we heard the bell sound. I first saw a mop a curly hair, and then his distasteful frown. "The lads are ready to meet their birds down at the pub."

With that, he just about slammed the door, a sigh leaving Niall's lips as he told the shop owner goodbye. "Come back anytime!" he called after us as we walked out. We nodded with smiles as we followed Harry's retreating figure down the street. "So, the boys have girlfriends?"

Niall nodded, not meeting my eyes as we walked. "They don't go to Seaford, though. They go to an all-girls school in the next town over. They come down every weekend to see them, though. Or the lads go there." I nodded, keeping quiet as we walked in, being flagged down by Louis to a table in the back. We walked over, Niall scooting into the booth just after me. I looked over at the three girls, seeing two brunettes and a blonde. The perkier brunette offered me a toothy grin, "I'm Violet, Lou's girlfriend." Her voice was somewhat high-pitched and her personality was visibly bubbly and outgoing. "I'm Melissa," said the other brunette, "I date Liam." Her voice was slightly lower and seemed much more reserved, but still nice. "I'm Iris." The blonde finally spoke, her blue eyes sparkling at me. "Zayn's my boyfriend." I nodded curtly at them, a shy smile on my face. "I'm Anastasia, but you can call me Annie, if you'd like."

"How pretty!" Violet said, grinning. "So, are you and Niall dating?" I nearly spat out the lemonade in my mouth, as did Niall and Harry, at her question. I swallowed my drink quickly, blushing a bright red as I shook my head. "uh.. no, no we're not dating." After that, the subject was dropped, though Louis continued to give me a cheeky, playful smirk.

The girls quickly ensued in a conversation with me, most of the talking coming from them. They were all fascinated by me being American and coming from New York. The boys chatted over their we did ours, all except for Harry, who was staring at me, instead, causing me to constantly flush and look away for the rest of the night, even when we all went to the small cinema and saw The Avengers (upon the boys' and my own request) on a screen that was far to small for the film.

Image


We returned to campus at nine forty-five sharp, having waited for the girls to get a cab after me having exchanged numbers with them. They spent most of the day insisting on take me shopping the next time they were in town.

Walking inside to the corridors, I looked back, feeling Harry's stare burning into my back as Niall and I continued to hold hands. He bit his lip, looking down as he scurried off to his own room, Niall escorting me to my door.

"Today was fun." he smiled, brushing a loose strand of hair away from my face. I bit my lip, smiling slightly as I nodded in agreement. "I guess we'll have to do it again sometime then." A soft giggle escaped my lips, agreeing once again. "Is uh..is it okay if I count this as our first date?"

My mouth fell slightly as my eyes widened, my gaze shifting down to our shoes. "I..I know you've not been on a date before, but I really like you an-" I cut him off with a gentle kiss, my right hand raised and cupping his cheek. I could feel Niall smiling into the kiss as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him, though I couldn't, for the life of me, get Harry out of my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment & subscribe.
- A