To Awaken a Half Breed

Chapter 3- Traitor

“Where the hell were you?” I demanded in hiss. GreyWind sat next to me, licking his paws.
What are you complaining for? You’re still alive aren’t you?
“Yeah, but he could have killed me, several times. Why didn’t you help me?” I felt slightly childish but I didn’t care.
He’s your father.
“What?”
You heard me.
“No, no, no,” I put a finger up. “He’s not my father. How can you be sure?”
I could smell it, he has the same blood as you, he smells…like you.
I was silent for a second, contemplating my next answer. “You’re lying. My father’s dead.”
Yeah, he’s a vampire.
“That’s not what I meant!” I threw a pillow at him. “Don’t joke with me GreyWind…my dad’s been dead for ten years, I’m an orphan, end of.” I turned over in my bed, so I didn’t face him.
I’m sorry Jackie, he lay his long muzzle across her neck. What if its true?
“It’s not, if it was he wouldn’t have left me here would he?” I was speaking in a whisper, I could feel hope clawing up inside of me, but it couldn’t be true, I wouldn’t let hope get far enough. “I’m going out,” I declared and climbed from my bed and pulled on my boots and grabbed my skateboard.
You’re running away again are you? GreyWind asked.
“No, I’m coming back,” I said. And opened the window beside my bed fully and was halfway out of it when I heard a voice behind me.
“Leaving again, huh?” Lizzy crossed her arms and gave me a serious stare.
“I’m coming back!” I said, frowning. “I’ll be back in a couple of hours, I need time to think things over.”
“I don’t see why you’re so upset over this Alucard thing. Surely it’s a good thing?” she said.
I sighed and climbed back in. I loved Lizzy, she was my best friend other than GreyWind of course and I could never be angry at her, and even though she was sixteen we were like peas in a pod. She had taught me all about vampire hunting and unlike the other children in the orphanage didn’t think I was some sort of deranged, suicidal emo.
“I’m not upset, I’m confused. If he is my dad then why has he left me to rot in this place?”
“He must have had his reasons.”
“Yeah, he didn’t want a stupid Halfling for a daughter,” I realized that I sounded upset. “He’s not my dad, ok I just know he isn’t.”
“Liar,” Lizzy said instantly. “You’re just in denial.”
“Shut up,” I frowned. “at least you have a family.”
“Yeah, all the way in America!” Lizzy did a hand movement to emphasize her point. “Why can’t you just be happy that you have a dad?”
“Because it’s not true!”
“Don’t kid yourself, Jackie every kid in this place would want what you want right now! And your just acting like nothing has happened, you should be grateful that you at least have a dad!” she seemed angry.
“Yeah I should be happy that my dad is a 500 year old vampire that probably killed my mother, that’s a great thing to be happy about!” I said sarcastically.
“Well its better than nothing.”
“Whatever,” I turned my back to her and began my climb out of the window.
“Running away from your problems again…” Lizzy said.
“Piss off! What would you know? I don’t see you doing anything to help, besides your moving to America in a couple of months, leaving me here on my own! Why would you give a shit about what I do?” I snapped back venomously. I regretted it afterwards but I was too angry to care.
“You know what Jackie? If you want to run away then go ahead, I’m beyond caring!” she began her storm out, but I wouldn’t let her have the last word.
“Good! I don’t need you anyway, at least I don’t desert people!” I yelled after her, I was pretty sure she gave me the finger before she left the room.
GreyWind just sat there, shaking his head.
“What?” I demanded and jumped from the window, landing on the grass, I ran across the ground and towards the fence where I had dug a hole big enough for me to squeeze through and was gone. The skateboard park was only around the corner, I could think better if I was on my board, it felt its hard wood beneath my arm, it made me feel safer somehow.
It was about midnight when I finally returned to the orphanage, and nothing seemed any clearer, I hadn’t made any decisions and was still in denial. The one thing I had decided was that I would apologize to Lizzy as soon as I got back, she would still be up no doubt and I could apologise and give her the big bar of dairy milk I bought for her. I looked forward to speak to Lizzy again, she would forgive me I knew that, we’d hug and share the chocolate and talk all night, she would give me advice and make me feel better she always does.
I slid under the fence and ran to my window and jumped up on the windowsill but froze at what lay inside.
What’s wrong? GreyWind asked, stood on the ground.
“Oh my god!” I gasped and was speechless for a second. “GreyWind you need to get Alucard,” I opened the window silently and stepped inside. The smell was overpowering of blood. “Vampires…”
The dormitory was one big disaster area, I scanned the toppled beds and blood that smeared the floors and walls, then I saw the bodies. Three small children lay in a pile, they were completely drained of blood and probably raped.
GreyWind came in alongside me, he looked at the sight with an emotionless stare, he seemed more hungry by the dead bodies rather than affected by the cold hearted murder
They’re still here, he informed me.
“I know,” I took in a breath and located my bed. “Go get Alucard, I’m gonna look for Lizzy."
You can stay here on your own.
“Yeah I can, don’t worry,” I reassured.
Alright, stay alive till I get back, he joked.
“Sure.”
I watched him go, feeling rather unprotected and exposed.
Luckily the vampires hadn’t searched my rucksack I had left behind, I opened it and grabbed out all of my weapons, which included my Kasurigama, some throwing knives and a short sword. I put the chocolate down and reluctantly put my skateboard away, I hid it away under the bed so it wouldn’t get hurt.
Lizzy best be alive, I thought angrily as I armed myself.
Creeping towards the door like a shadow I pressed my ear against it and held my breath, the hall seemed to be deserted. I walked out cautiously, keeping my Kasurigama out ready, the hall seemed to be even worse, there were a couple of bodies and bullets were imbedded into the wall. I silently moved down the hall, following my nose, I followed the scent of blood.
Soon I could screams of children, that froze me I could guess what the vampires were doing and it made me shudder. I need to save some of the children at least, so I followed one scream to a toilet where a five year old girl, Lucy was being pinned to the floor and her clothes were being ripped from her body as the vampire was preparing to mount her.
I glared and swung my weapon so hard the vampire was beheaded and the bladed landed in the wall.
Lucy crawled into a corner and began to sob and was shaking terribly, I approached her and offered her my coat, she was practically naked. “Lucy I know you’re scared but you have to hide from the evil men so they don’t find you again,” I told her.
She nodded and got to her feet and followed me out, I pointed to a vent, she could easily fit in there and the vampires couldn’t get her so easily. “Now don’t come out till I come get you.” she acknowledged my order and climbed inside the metal shaft and was safe.
I walked along the corridor, with the screams of children filling my ears, I managed to kill two more vampires but one child was already dead and I had to kill one so they wouldn’t turn into a ghoul.
Then I stopped in my tracts at the corner I saw a shadow of a person and pressed myself up against the wall and slid along silently and lifted my weapon so I could kill them instantly. Just as they stepped round the corner I let loose my arm but it was caught by the hand.
“Jesus Christ Jackie!” it was Justin, he wasn’t a friend but he was Lizzy’s boyfriend. “What are you doing here?”
“Justin? Don’t do that!” I wrenched my arm free and wiped some blood off my arm. “Why have you got blood on your hands?”
“There are vampires,” he explained.
“I know! I’ve just killed three of em,” I said, annoyed at how calm he was. “Where’s Lizzy?” I demanded.
“We were hiding from the vampires,” he explained. “and she sent me to look for you.”
“Really?” I said. “Let’s go then.”
“Follow.” he turned back the way he had come and moved at a fast walk and turned another corner, but I stopped. “What?” he asked, when he noticed I wasn’t moving anymore.
I sniffed the air, vampires. It was a trap, I made sure my face remained calm and took a step back. “You know I think I’ll wait, I need to go find GreyWind,” I lied and turned but I walked into a well muscular chest.
“You’re not going anywhere girlie,” the large man grinned, his fangs were coated with blood and he laughed, with a lustful look in his eye.
“Justin, you traitor,” I hissed, “Where’s Lizzy?”
“I’m sorry,” Justin shrank into a corner.
I stepped a couple of feet away from the vampire and held out my weapon, “You want me, come and get me you bastard,” I growled. The vampire came charging at me, he wasn’t very fast. I ran at him at the same time and jumped at the last minute, swinging my weapon as hard as I can beheading the vampire in seconds. I landed perfectly and spun so I faced Justin. “I’m gonna fucking kill you!”