Status: Giving this another go from a different angle

More Than Just Surviving

Responsibility

Devyn didn’t care about staying hidden anymore and the threat of the walkers.

She pushed the dry, dead branches out of her face as she ran towards the terrified screams; already picturing her horrified little sister caught in the jaws of a walker. The undead corpse and it's rotting flesh, it's jaws snapping and tearing into the girls neck-- the image pushed her to run even harder. For a moment, the screams stopped and Devyn stopped as well. Bracing herself, she raised her bow slightly and looked around, trying to pinpoint where the screams had originated. To her left, she heard something move. She turned, and went to shoot, but pointed right in her face was a crossbow so close that the arrow head brushed the tip of her nose.

“Drop it lady," ordered a stern voice from behind the bow. There was a southern drawl to his raspy voice .

Devyn gave an irritated huff in response. How in the hell had he managed to sneak up so close to her? The man was a bit taller than her, about 4 or 5 inches. He was a scuffed up mess like everyone else she had come across in the last few months. Looking at him she could see his whole body covered in dirt and sweat, while the expression he bared was one of exhaustion that matched her own. On his shoulder he carried a string of squirrel carcasses, looking at them made her grimace slightly.

Her tone was demanding, “Where’s my sister?” If there was even the slightest chance that this man had seen her, or worse, done something to her himself, she had to know.

“Don’ know. Don’ care,” he looked her up and down, now taking in her current state. “Told ya to drop it!”

That was not a satisfactory answer, this was just a waste of time and she was more than tired of that arrow stuck in her face. Eyes narrowing on him, quickly with her free hand she knocked the bow away from her face, then brought her foot down on his as hard as she could. Swinging her bow around, she caught him in the chin. The man staggered back, dropping the crossbow and cupped his face. A bit of blood trickled down from his lip, he could already feel the bruise beginning to form.

“Stupid bitch!”

He lurched forward and grabbed her firmly by her elbow and ripped the bow from her hands, throwing it violently into the leaves. Spinning her around, he pushed her hard into a tree. The piercing pain of the force in which had thrust her against the trunk struck along her ribs. It was almost too much to bear and had it not been for the adrenalin coursing through her veins, she might have collapsed. Making sure to grab both of her small wrists tightly, he held them there behind her back with only one of his rough, calloused hand. Swiftly, he pulled a knife out and brought it up to the tender space just behind her jaw and under her ear. She struggled against him trying to pull her arms free but all of the movement was threatening to wrench her shoulder out of socket. Slowly, the man pushed the blade even closer to her neck.

Devyn was beginning to tire and exhausting the last bits of energy she had gained in that stupid nap she had taken. Spending it all fighting this man was a waste of time, she needed all that energy to find Hailee, but her hands were pinned. Her eyes darted about, trying frantically to get out his hold and ended up doing the only thing she could think to do. Devyn shut her eyes, gritted her teeth, and brought her head back into his with a resounding crack. He grunted and dropping the knife, quickly brought a hand up to his face. His grip on her loosened and seizing the moment, she spun around and brought her knee into his stomach. As he fell to the ground, she rushed past him in an attempt to grab her bow again, but didn’t get far. The stranger reached out and firmly clenched onto Devyn's ankle, tripping her. Instinctively, she stuck out her hands as to catch herself or at least to keep from face-planting. The man crawled after her and rolled her onto her back, pulling his weight on top of her as he did so. Devyn fought back; swinging her arms and protecting her face, but he grabbed each of her wrists and pinned them down by either side of her head. Throwing his legs around either side of her, he firmly straddled her waist, using his weight to keep her down. The harder she struggled, the tighter he held.

“Get off of me!” she hollered, thrashing about wildly.

A mixture of fury and desperation pushed her to continue fighting even though she had clearly lost. She stopped enough to peer at him through the strands of hair that covered her face; clearing her vision, her eyes burned into his. If he was going to kill her, he was going to have to look her in the eyes while he did it. That's when she noticed a low growling sound coming from behind him.

"Walker!"

The man, not wanting to release her, pinned both of her arms behind her back again. He then began to frantically look about searching for a way to kill it with his free hand.

At this point, Devyn had enough, "Are you serious right now?! Just grab my knife on my upper right thigh!"

The walker tripped over Devyn's foot and fell towards the man, in one motion he quickly reach down, and grabbing her knife, forced it into the walker's skull, splattering them slightly with it's oozing, black blood.

"Stupid geek," he sighed heavily. Slowly, he rose up off of her and offered Devyn his hand, muttering a 'thanks'.

She laid there staring at the extended hand. Breathing heavily, she took it and he easily lifted her to her feet. Devyn snatched her arm away from him and took a step back.

“Please,” he scoffed, “If I was gonna kill you, I’d ‘ave done it already.” Reaching into the leaves and the man retrieved his crossbow.

He examined it for any damage and brushed the dirt away with his hands before his eyes flickered to the woman again. “The hell are you doin’ out here anyway? Screaming and carrying on. Tryna get yer’self killed?”

“Mom!" A young boy's shouts interrupted their conversation. "Dad!”

“Damn kids… outta control,” the man grumbled before jogging off towards the screams.

“Mommy!" Another young voice let out, this time a girl's, but it still wasn't her sister.

“Help!” a much more familiar cry rang out. Devyn’s eyes widened in fear-- Hailee.

Hurrying after him without hesitation; they pushed branches out of their path as they got closer and the shouts became even louder. Devyn noticed some unfocused forms-- a large group of people, and closer still, there were a few men. They were pummeling a walker into the ground. He appeared in front of the men who were wide eyed and in a frenzy; weapons raised for another attack. Devyn appeared behind him and their faces relaxed only slightly, but still screamed confusion.

“Oh, Jesus,” one of the men sighed, lowering his gun.

The strange man stopped when he saw the walker lying next to a buck. The deer was a mangled mess on the forest floor, its throat torn apart. The walker clearly had a feast.

“Son of a bitch!” he stomped over to the animal. “That’s ma deer!”

Devyn looked down, seeing two arrows sticking out of the carcass. Some of the men ignored his rants and made their way over the hill and away from the scene. They were unfazed by Devyn's presence.

“Look at it, all gnawed on by this,” he walked over to the body of the walker and kicked it. “…Filthy,” he kicked it again “…disease-bearing,” and again “…motherless poxy bastard!”

“Calm down son, that’s not helping,” an elder man sighed.

Devyn rolled her eyes and slung her bow over her shoulder. Folding her arms over her chest, she looked about the clearing. Hailee couldn't be spotted anywhere. Turning to look back at the woods from where she came, she tried to think of different paths her sister could have taken.

Perhaps Hailee didn’t come this way. Maybe she was already back at their camp. But Devyn had heard her. She knew it.

“Whaddya know about it old man?" The angry southerner approached him, getting in his face. The other two men stepped in, guns pointed at him as a warning to back off.

“Why don’t you take that stupid hat and go back to ‘On Golden Pond’?” he spat before walking back to his deer. “I been trackin’ this deer for miles.”

He began pulling the arrows out of the carcass and sighed. “Was gonna drag it back to camp, n’ cook us up some venison.”

The man with a very faded red baseball cap and a shot gun slung casually over his shoulders looked at Devyn and gave her a tight forced smile. It was the closest thing she had gotten to a 'hello' since she had been there. She nodded back, but returned her gaze to the deer.

Clutching arrows in his hand, he leaned over the animal. “Whaddya think? Do ya think we could cut around this chewed up part right here?" he questioned, looking over at the man with the faded, red baseball cap.

The man looked disgusted, “I would not risk that.”

The hick walked around and sighed, “That’s a damn shame.”

Then suddenly remembering, he added, “I got some squirrel--‘bout a dozen or so. That’ll have to do.” Looking back at Devyn, his face hardened. “The hell are you still doin’ here?”

The group of men all turned to her, waiting for an answer. An uneasy feeling crept down Devyn’s spine. Shuffled her feet, she spoke out, “Nothing I just… I was looking for someone. I thought,” she shook her head.

“They’re not here,” she finished sadly.

The man with the faded red baseball cap that had smiled at her spoke up. “You’re more than welcome to stay. I’m Shane,” he introduced himself.

“That’s Rick, Dale, Jim, Morales. Amy and Andrea are hiding over there.” He pointed them each out. “The raving lunatic is Daryl.”

Daryl muttered something under his breath.

“There are more of us up over that hill. We’d be more than happy to help you look for them, whoever it is,” Rick added.

“I’m Devyn.” Giving a small smile she pushed her hair back anxiously, “...Maybe some help would be nice.”

She looked back at the woods once more. The urgent need to be getting back out there soon was tugging on her mind. The help would be appreciated, but if they were going to find her…

A raspy growl accompanied by a snapping sound arose and everyone looked to the source. The decapitated walker’s head had sprung back to life and was attempting to attack Daryl’s feet.

“Oh god,” Amy winced. Her face paled and she hurried off with Andrea following close behind.

“Come on people, what the hell,” Daryl frowned, taking his crossbow off his shoulders.

Firing a single shot, the arrow buried itself deep into the walker’s eye socket, ending the noise. Lightly stepping on the head, he pulled the arrow out.

“It’s gotta be the brain. Don’t ya’ll know nothin’?” he mumbled before walking away.

A slender woman appeared at the top of the hill. The group turned to her. “Is it over?” she asked, shielding her eyes from the sun. A young boy peeked around, clinging to her shirt.

“Yeah,” Rick sighed. “Yeah, it’s over.” He looked over at Devyn, “That’s my wife, Lori, and my son, Carl.”

Devyn gave her a slight nod.

Dale ambled to Devyn’s side and adjusted his fisherman’s hat. “Did you want to let your group know you were here? That there are safe people here; food and shelter?”

Devyn scratched the back of her head with a nervous laugh, “Well, it’s actually just me and-“

“Devyn?” a small voice called.

Looking up she saw her sister peeking from around Lori’s other side. Hailee’s face was red and streaked with tears.

Devyn’s lips parted slightly, “Hailee…” she breathed.

The little girl scampered down the hill towards her sister. Devyn dropped to her knees and pulled her into a tight embrace. “Oh my god, you scared me!”

She pushed Hailee away slightly, “Are you okay, are you hurt?” Holding her face and looking her over, she began anxiously checking for bumps, bruises, scratches, and bites.

Hailee sniffled, shaking her head. She was frightened, but that was all.

Relief was replaced with sudden anger. “What the hell were you thinking Hailee?!” Devyn gripped Hailee’s shoulders firmly. “You could have gotten lost or,” she let the unfinished sentence hang in the air.

Everyone knew where it was going to end.

“You were sleeping, and I was going to take watch. Then they asked me to play.”

“You should have woken m-“

“You needed to sleep!” Hailee insisted, eyes rimmed with tears; yet, her face stern.

As irritating as it was, Hailee was right. Devyn was no good to anyone if she was on the verge of passing out. She pursed her lips into a straight line. Everyone was watching, Devyn could feel it.

“You never do that again. You never ever go off on your own like that again. Not ever. Do you understand?” They would finish this conversation later.

After a few more sniffles, Hailee nodded, “We were going to come find you.”

“Carl and Sofia brought her here,” Lori added from the hilltop with a sympathetic smile. “She told us her sister was out in the woods, but she didn’t quite remember how to get back to you. We were waiting, wanted to see if any of the men would be willing to track you down.”

At least she had the sense to tell them she belonged to someone. Wrapping her arms around the little girl’s shoulders, she hugged her again.

“So, how long has it just the two of you?” Shane asked.

“Um…” Devyn nervously kicked at the dirt. She hadn’t been around people in so long, and wasn’t really one to initiate conversation with people she didn’t know before the whole world went to hell.

Shrugging, she squinted in the Georgia sun, “Three weeks to the day.”

They all looked at the two in shock. Hailee nodded, “There were others, but…” she stopped.

Rick knelt down before Hailee and rested his hand on her arm. His eyes showed empathy as he nodded silently, knowing what those creatures could do. Looking up at Devyn, he questioned, “How did you survive?”

“The only way you can. Stay quiet. Keep moving. Cover as much ground as we can during the day. Find a safe spot at night. Hailee got tired, though, so we took a rest and I accidently fell asleep.”

“Well, we would love to have you here. But like I said, in the end, it’s your call Devyn. These are good people. They care about each other. They look out for each other, and they’ll look out for you as well. I’ve only been here a night and I feel right at home.”

Smiling and looking at Hailee again he said, “Plenty of kids here to play with...”

Standing, he continued, “However, there’s something we have to deal with... Daryl. It could get messy. So you and your sister should probably keep a good distance back.” Then he walked off with Shane.

Hailee looked at her sister, causing Devyn to sigh out, “Yeah, go ahead.” The words barely left her mouth before Hailee began chasing after Carl and disappeared off into the campsite.

Dale grinned at her, moving to her side once more. “Well, I take it you know how to hunt then?” he presumed.

She only carried weapons and the larger backpack. Hailee’s was still in the woods, as well as her sleeping bag. Devyn would have to make a trip and get it back before dark.

“My father used to take me all the time. Wanted a son to go hunting with really bad, but he got me instead. Practically spent my whole life with my ass in the woods or at the shooting range,” she chuckled, thinking back.

“Thought it was the dumbest thing back then… we all have to do what we can to survive now.” The two walked up the hill together, leaving the walker and the deer behind them.

She stopped upon hearing Daryl shout out up ahead, “Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel!”

Devyn turned and walked towards the RV, then leaned against it. Folding her arms over her chest, she watched Hailee run around with Carl, a little blond girl and a few Hispanic children. They rounded the open area, sticking close to the cars and then straight into the RV they piled. Devyn hadn’t seen that smile on Hailee’s face in a long time. It was nice, maybe they could stay? Just for a little while at least.

She noticed how they put up with Daryl’s outbursts. While Devyn and Daryl had managed not to shoot each other in the woods, it didn’t make them best friends or anything, but she could tell they were similar in many ways. Her temper was just more controlled than his was. If the group was able to coexist with Daryl, surely there was a chance that she and Hailee could live amongst them without incident.

“Hey,” a soft voice erased her thoughts. Turning her head, there was a young blonde girl to her right, possibly in her teens or early twenties.

“I’m Amy,” she smiled. “You’re… Devyn, right?”

Devyn smiled and nodded.

“That’s my sister, Andrea, and that’s Glenn over there.” Speaking casually, she pointed out a young Asian leaning against a Jeep Wrangler. He waved sheepishly.

Daryl called out again for Merle, but with no answer. “Daryl, Just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you,” Shane said cautiously.

Turning, Daryl noted that everyone was staring at him intently, but from a distance away. “ ’Bout what?” he asked hesitantly.

Shane walked up to stand in front of Daryl. “About Merle. There was a- there was a problem in Atlanta.” Shane placed his hands on his hips, looking at Daryl.

Daryl took a step back and stared at everyone again, “He dead?”

“We’re not sure,” Shane shook his head.

“He either is or he ain’t!”

“There’s no easy way to say this, so I’ll just say it.” Everyone turned to Rick as he spoke, walking up to Shane wearing an oversized white t-shirt.

Daryl didn’t recognize him. “Who are you?”

“Rick Grimes.”

“Rick Grimes.” Daryl mocked. “You got something you wanna tell me?”

“Your brother was a danger to us all. So I handcuffed him on a roof. Hooked him to a piece of metal. He’s still there.”

Devyn’s lips parted slightly in shock, she put her hand up to her mouth. A young black man came from behind the group carrying an armful of firewood. He looked hesitant to join in or interject.

Daryl turned, blinking away the water that threatened to come to his eyes. “Hold on,” he mumbled, wiping his face. Let me process this.” Voice rising, he shot out, “You’re saying you handcuffed my brother to a roof, and you left him there!?”

“Yeah.” Rick said simply.

Daryl’s rage was palpable. It made the air heavy, everyone could feel it. He grunted, throwing the string of squirrels at Rick, and then lunged at him. Shane protested and tackled him to the ground. Daryl pulled the same knife he used on Devyn, almost out of the air, and swiped at Rick.

“Hey, watch the knife!” the black man dropped the stack of wood like he was going to help, but he hung back instead.

Shane restrained Daryl in a choke hold, dragging him back.

“Okay, okay.” Shane spoke calmly as he dragged Daryl back to the ground.

Daryl hollered, “Best let me go!”

“Nah, I think it’s better if I don’t.”

“Choke hold is illegal!”

“You can file a complaint.”

Rick knelt down in front of Daryl. “I’d like to have a calm discussion on this topic. Do you think we can manage that?”

Daryl glared at Rick as he repeated himself before nodding at Shane, telling him it was okay to let go. Shane gave a nod in return and released Daryl, tossing him to the dirt.

“What I did was not on a whim. Your brother does not work and play well with others.”

“It’s not Rick’s fault.” Every one turned to the black man. His face was covered in shame. “I had the key. I dropped it”

“You couldn’t pick it up?”

“Well, I dropped it down a drain.”

Daryl scoffed in defeat, doubling over on his knees. He breathed deeply before pushing himself up. He glared at the black man and stalked past him, tossing something at his feet as he walked.

“If it’s supposed to make me feel better, it don’t.”

“Maybe this will,” the young man tried again. “Look. I chained the door to the roof so the geeks couldn’t get at him. With a padlock.”

“It’s gotta count for something,” Rick added.

Daryl looked between the two men and wiped his face again. “Hell with all y’all!” he swung his arm at them. “Just tell me where he is so’s I can go get him,” voice cracking as he spoke.

Hailee hopped out of the RV and Devyn grabbed her arm. She had made her decision. Things were too messy here. They had a good set up in the quarry, but there was too much fighting. Knives? Abandoning people on roofs? What could someone possibly do to deserve that? She didn’t even care anymore, they weren’t staying. Devyn had made up her mind; they were getting out of there, somewhere out of range of this madness. Hailee made a soft protest, but the look in Devyn’s eyes stopped her. Devyn led her sister back out past the walker and the way she had originally come. Hailee hung back, sulking. clearly angry. Devyn knew that, and the girl had a right to be. Those were the first decent people they had come across in a while, even still...

It was just too risky.

-

Hailee had sulked all the way back to camp. She slowly rolled up her sleeping bag and put it into her backpack, zipping it up while Devyn stood a few feet away looking around. They had only been a mile away from the quarry which was to the West. That left South, East, and North. Devyn chewed the inside of her cheek as she began trying to figure out their game plan. Never having a set destination in mind, they always just kept moving. What Devyn and Hailee needed was to find a building. An apartment maybe? Secure it and set up there. First, they needed to gather supplies-- more food and new clothes.

“Why couldn’t we just stay?” Hailee asked finally, the question having been on her mind for awhile.

The young woman looked back at her. “I don’t think everyone in their group is so secure.” Devyn meant Daryl in particular. “There were just a lot of people. We don’t know them.”

“I thought more people was good,” Hailee muttered as she tossed her backpack on her shoulders. “They’re doing better than we are…” shooting her sister a glare.

She had had enough, “We’re not staying with them Hailee, that’s all there is to it.”

Devyn laid her last words on the subject. Hailee opened her mouth to object, but she wisely chose not to; the argument was over. Something rustled to their left and Devyn turned with her bow raising it, perfectly aimed. Hailee held onto the tree with her eyes wide in terror, ready to run.

“Wait! Don’t shoot!” Glenn showed his palms to them.

“Jesus,” Devyn lowered her bow, rolling her eyes. “I could have shot you, Glenn. Are you trying to get yourself killed?” Hailee quickly ran to Devyn’s side.

He shrugged, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you it’s just, you guys are leaving?” Rick soon appeared behind them.

“Looks like we were neighbors without even knowing it,” Rick said to himself as he looked around.

“We’re taking off.”

Rick looked at the two of them skeptically. “Why would you do that?”

“We’re fine. I’ve got enough on my plate already.” Resting her hand on Hailee’s head, she continued, “Besides, I can’t be responsible for people I don’t even know... if that makes sense.”

“Look...” Rick approached her, “Going it alone isn’t the answer either. It’s too dangerous. The only way we survive anymore is by sticking together. We hold onto each other and look out for one another.”

Devyn just stared at him for a moment.

He sighed, realizing he wasn’t getting through. He had to try a different angle. “Just think about it. For your sister’s sake. You guys may have survived for a while, but you don’t look like you can go it much longer. You said so yourself, you passed out here. Hailee wandered off and got lost, was nearly attacked by a walker.”

“Are you a good shot?” Rick wiped his face with his hand.

Devyn adjusted and clutched her bow protectively. “I get by, why?” He wanted something from her. People always wanted something.

“We’ve got a man in Atlanta. We’ve arranged a rescue party and we could really use you.”

“You’re insane” she huffed with an amused smirk. “You’ve got to be. Atlanta is overrun. There’s no way to get in the city. It’s a suicide mission, Rick. You’re willing to die for this guy?” she stared at him for a long moment and when he didn’t answer, she knew he was serious.

“And you want my help to do it? Why?”

“We need you. And by the looks of it, you need us. No offense, but you two are a wreck. You’re starving, you’re exhausted. I don’t think you guys have much more in you.”

He stared at Devyn intently. “Scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours. Help us and we’ll give you anything you need. Weapons, ammo, food, whatever. If you really want to leave, you can.”

Devyn held his gaze. It was an offer she couldn’t possibly refuse. “Alright,” she sighed heavily after a moment. “Hailee stays at your camp until I get back.”

“Of course.”

Her sister’s eyes widened in fear. “Devy, no, you can’t go!” she grabbed Devyn’s hand.

A tired sigh escaped Devyn and she looked down at Hailee, chewing on the inside of her cheek again. Hailee knew exactly what awaited in Atlanta. When the turn first began, they had been in the city and had barely made it out. Going almost surely meant death. What was she thinking? She gave Hailee’s hand a tight squeeze.

“Come on,” was all that could be said.

When they reached the quarry, Hailee ran to her sister and wrapped her thin arms around Devyn’s waist, hugging her tightly. “We’d be safe here,” she whispered. “We’d be happy.”

Hailee looked up at her, “Come back soon okay?” Devyn knelt down, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her sister’s ear and kissing her forehead softly.

“You be good okay. You listen to Lori. Stay within eyesight of the camp. If you can’t see them, they can’t see you.” She hugged the little girl once more before sending her off. A smile tugged at the corners of Devyn’s lips for only a moment and then she stood.

“Rick,” he turned to her. “If something happens to me, then what are you going to do with Hailee?” she watched Glenn stumble after the ten year old. “I need to know she’s going to be safe if I don’t make it back.”

Her face turned serious, “That’s the deal. If I make it, I want supplies. If I don’t, I need your word that you’ll keep Hailee. Keep her safe.”

Rick nodded somberly and felt an overwhelming respect for this woman. This was the least he could do for her if she was willing to risk her life.

“I’ll watch her like she’s mine.” He patted Devyn’s shoulder before getting into the cab of the cube van.

Devyn approached the back of the van and stepped up before seeing a hand stretched out towards her. Looking up, there was Daryl with his hand extended. She took it with a small smile and he pulled her into the van.

Without looking at his face, she remarked, “Sorry about almost shooting you earlier.”

“No you ain't,” was his almost immediate reply.

She wasn’t.

Recognizing the black man from the argument, she sat beside him. “T-Dog,” he smiled. She greeted him, receiving a slight wave.

Daryl shut the door to the back and locked it and then tapped the glass behind Glenn’s head. “Let’s move!” he hollered.

“He better be okay.” Daryl’s eyes burned through T-Dog. “That’s my only word on the matter.”

“I told you, the geeks can’t get at him,” T-Dog sighed, clearly more than tired of going in circles on the subject. “The only thing that’s gonna get through that door is us.”

Daryl was silent. He wiped his mouth with a red cloth and tilted his head back with a skeptical expression.

The cube van slowed to a stop along the rail road tracks. It’s breaks squeaked, alerting everyone that they were at their final destination. Glenn pulled the keys form the ignition. He turned to face Rick and everyone in the back.

“We walk from here.”

Daryl hopped up and lifted the back door, locking it in place. Hopping down, he hurried around to the front with T-dog and Devyn following close behind. She couldn’t believe she was really doing this for these people. They followed along a chain link fence until Glenn stopped them. There was an opening where the fence had been cut to make a door. It was held together by some cords. Glenn untied them and Daryl rushed in, followed by Rick, T-Dog, Devyn, and finally Glenn.

“Merle first or guns?” Rick put the choices up for vote as he climbed over the guardrail.

“Merle!” Daryl yelled. “We ain't even having this conversation!”

“We are,” Rick sighed empathetically. Quickly wiping his upper lip, he looked at Glenn. “You know the Geography. It’s your call.” Everyone looked to Glenn.

“There are too many walkers. It would be dangerous to split up,” Devyn chimed in.

“Merle’s closest. The guns would mean doubling back,” he breathed as the group jogged forward. “Merle first.”

-

The department store was abandoned as they quietly made their way through. Devyn crept through on silent feet with her bow at the ready. Rick raised his hand, signaling everyone to stop. He looked at them, holding two fingers to his eyes and then turning forward and pointing them to a lone walker. It’s dark hair was slicked in muck and the white clothes it wore were a dingy brown. The leathery decaying skin on it’s face was contorted in a grimace. Speaking in low growls, it slowly limped through the mannequins.

Daryl moved forward, side stepping with his bow raised, then cut it off at an intersection. It looked up and began growling again. Then with a thin outstretched arm, it reached for him.

“Damn,” he grimaced. “You are one ugly skank.”

It snarled in response and Daryl raised his bow again, shooting a single arrow into it’s skull, causing it to drop to the ground with a thud. He walked towards it and pulled his arrow from the head-- the sound making Devyn shudder. Glenn looked at her and nodded in understanding.

The group pushed forward, keeping a look out for any lingering walkers, but there were none. They made it to the stairwell with Rick and Daryl leading the way, and climbed up. T-dog pulled out the bolt cutters, cut the chain and pulled it from the door. Daryl kicked it in, calling out his brother’s name and everyone stopped.

“No!” Daryl screamed over and over, tears streaming down his face.

“Well shit…” Devyn muttered at the sight.

Merle wasn’t there. Only a saw and blood soaked hand cuffs still attached to a piece of metal-- just like Rick had said. Under it lay the only evidence of Merle having been there at all... his hand.