Status: Coming soon???!!

Blackbird

i've just seen a face.

4:00 p.m.
Mullingar, Ireland

“Absolute bliss, ain't it Dudley?” Niall yawns and stretches across the mattress, his legs accidently bumping into the dog that is also lounging with his limbs spread out. Dudley lazily sits up to scratch himself as Niall’s phone buzzes against the wooden nightstand. Niall reaches over and an instant smile is brought to his face.

Marshmallow Knox: How is my baby boy?

Niall: I’m great.

He hits the send button and he glances over at Dudley.

“Wanna go outside?” Niall asks and the dog immediately perks up.

“I guess that’s a yes.” He grins as Niall gets up and shuffles downstairs to the kitchen, playing with his mobile phone. Dudley is at his heels and immediately Niall lets him out into the closed off backyard just as Mallory replies to his text message.

Marshmallow Knox: You arse. I was talking about Dudley!

His lips continue to grin as he opens the fridge and texts back. “Dudley wants 2 stay 1 more nite. He says u shood stay 2.”

Niall glances at the other names in his contact list. It’s only been a few hours but he feels the need to call one of them because in the moment, he misses their presence. Yeah, even Zayn who managed to piss Niall off so badly that they still haven't spoken to each other since their fight that happened almost a week ago. This ‘time off’ is going to take some time getting used to and the plan was to court Mallory until she fell madly in love with him but after what his father told Niall last night there’s a hitch named Grady.

Truthfully, Niall can’t remember Grady at all. Maybe it’s because of the blinding jealousy that drops in the pit of his stomach every time he thinks about that stupid name.

Image


Grady is still out and breathing on the bed. Mallory stares at him. She’s unsure how to feel… she’s conflicted about everything right now especially since Niall is home and within driving distance while before he was a time zone away. Grady lets out a loud snore and it scares Mallory half to death.

Shaken from her thoughts of Niall’s face, she hurries out of the apartment, grabbing her bag and keys on the way out. Inside the car she texts Niall, ‘Be there soon.’

It only takes her a whole seven minutes to get to his house from the flat she shares with Grady. Mallory checks herself one last time in the mirror, making sure the slight bruise isn’t noticeable underneath all the make up she’s slathered on.

Taking a deep breath, she gets out of the car and steps up to the door. Mallory’s inside squirm and she feels like she is nine years old again coming over to play. For some odd reason instead of walking right in like how she usually does, she rings the bell and waits.

She feels like she’s about to throw up from the anticipation of waiting for Niall to answer when he finally opens up the door, wearing only his underwear.

Image


“Oh shite!” Niall swears, his face going red upon realizing he didn’t put on any pants and he’s only wearing bright pink briefs. “Errr, sorry Mallow.”

But Mallory is distracted. Her hazel eyes are trying to discreetly check him out except Niall notices it and can’t help but contract his new muscles as he shuffles to the side, motioning for her to enter. As she steps inside, she pauses and reaches across to gently touch the simple, green four-leaf clover inked permanently on the left side of his pelvic bone.

"When did you get that?" Mallory asks.

Her touch is electrifying and Niall closes the door causing a swift, cold wind to relieve him of any embarrassment that threatened to grow inside of his briefs.

“Got that on St. Patty’s Day in the States. Errr, Chicago I think…” He mutters while following her into the kitchen where she lets Dudley inside and he starts whimpering at the sight of her, licking at her chin. Mallory smiles and scratches behind Dudley's ears as she stands up.

“Are you hungry?” She asks Dudley.

“Yeah now that ya mention it, I’m starvin’” Niall mentions, scratching his head while still flexing his muscles.

Mallory glances over, eyes trying not to stare at his toned body. All those nights spent running around on stage in front of fans have really done him good. In an airy voice, she asks, “Nandos?”

In the light that’s hitting her face, Niall notices her skin is covered in make up which throws him off because it’s so unlike Mallory to wear any. In fact the only time he’s seen her wearing any is at the formal, term end dances when they were in school together and that’s only because her mother forced Mallory to wear it along with a flashy dress.

“Are you wearing make up?” He blurts out.

“So what if I am?” Mallory huffs defensively, turning away as she pours some of Dudley’s food into a metal bowl she found in the cupboard.

“I’m jus’ askin’. No need to get all defensive.” Niall replies hoping to ease the weird tension that’s suddenly in the room. He’s looking at her back as she shuffles around the room and grabs a menu out of the drawer from underneath the microwave. How the hell does she know where everything is in this kitchen? Niall thinks.

“So, Nandos?” She asks again. “They recently opened one up here and it has take away service.”

Niall can tell that Mallory is hiding something but he doesn’t want to push it. He knows in time she’ll come around and reveal her secret to him.

“Nandos and scary movies?”

“I am not watching Amityville Horror for the millionth time.” Mallory retorts as she grabs the phone. Back in school, Niall made her watch the remake almost every weekend.

“Awwwh but c’mon! You love Ryan Reynolds abs!” Niall teases, grabbing the menu from her and looking it over despite already knowing what he wants.

Mallory cocks an eyebrow at him with a smile playing on her lips. Just like old times. “Nu huh – that’s you who loves his abs, Niall.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I will not be writing in Niall's accent mostly because I think it's really, really hard to write accents - I tried once before with an Oliver Sykes story and it kept making me mad. I also don't know if there is a Nandos in Mullingar but in my story there will be simply because I said so and this is fan fiction. Key word: fiction. Anywhooooooo! All y'all should know the story is set in the future circa April/May 2013 hence new Nandos in his town and tattoo.

I also think it is extremely lame that other stories which have no chapters whatsoever have like upwards of 13-20 recommends - AND THEY DON'T HAVE CHAPTERS. JUST A SYNOPSIS! Like c'monnnnnnnn! If you don't comment 25 subscribers the least you can do is hit the recommend button otherwise I'm forced to think you hate Niall... which I'm sure is not the case because everyone loves an Irish man.

(Niall hugs and kisses to the following: selfish machine, SpencerG, babykate95, ReadytoFall22 for commenting. Another thanks to starfish_angel, iron and wine., selfish machine, out of her reach and saudade. for recommending. Niall and I love/appreciate you. A lot.)