Sequel: Unison
Status: Finished

Nobody, Not Even the Rain Has Such Small Hands

Epilogue

I toss my things to the side before I stick my apartment key into the hole, pull the handle towards me, and unlock the door. It's been months since I've stood in this doorway and now I'm finally home. Kicking my sneakers off, I flip on the kitchen light, almost scared of what I'll find. Instead of some sort of apparition of the past or whatever the hell I was expecting, it's just my lonely kitchen as before. We both walk to the bedroom to put our suitcases onto my semi-messy floor.
"Are you glad to be home?"
I turn to her and smile, enjoying the way she's rubbing her hands against my tense shoulders. She stands on tip-toe and looks at me from behind.
"Yeah, I guess I am."
"Good. I'll make us some dinner."
"Alright."
She exists the room and closes the door behind her, leaving me alone. I go to my bed, still messy and unmade from the beginning of the summer. It feels good to stretch out my arms and legs in a way that the bus bunks wouldn't allow. I'm glad I won't have to put up with that for another month before we tour again. I'm thankful for the break but I'm not sure how I'm going to spend my time now. I dig my nose into the sheets, my pillow still on the floor with my things, and smell the stale scent of her. It's funny that even after months of not being here, something as fragile as her smell remains.
I get up off the bed and strip it down to just my mattress without any hesitation. Once I've done that, I pull my pillow out of it's case and ball it up with the rest of the sheets. I go straight to the bathroom and stick them in the wash, starting the machine and watching as water pours out on top of them. I finish the job by dumping more detergent than is necessary on top and then shutting the lid. Now I can finally, completely forget.
"Babe, we need to go grocery shopping," Christine calls from in the kitchen.
I watch for a moment as the spinning begins and then quickens until my sheets are blue blurs. A weight seems to be lifted off my shoulders.
"I've got something else in mind."
I step out of the bathroom and walk over to her petite figure, standing on tip-toe to look at the highest shelve in the cupboard I usually keep boxes of pasta and other things in. Her red hair I've grown to love reaches just to her shoulder blades when she stands like this with her next craned upward. I wrap my arms around the smallness of her and kiss her neck.
"Mmm," she mumbles. "I'm thinking we should skip dinner."
"Mhm," I mumble in return as I pick her up and carry her back to my bedroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sitting her sobbing to Alive by Artist vs. Poet okay
The title goes to Pierce the Veil
Thanks for reading this guys and wasting your time here with me xo
Keep your eyes out of a sequel if you're interested.