Status: We'll see how it goes...

Through Another's Eyes

Chapter 1

Cassidy Treymane needed a secretary.
She blew her unruly auburn hair out of her eyes as she reached for the phone that was nearly buried under papers on her office desk. She wedged it between her shoulder and ear, cursing her stupid decision to get most of her hair cut off. It was now just long enough to brush her neck and just short enough to get in the way of everything.
“Cassidy Treymane,” she huffed into the receiver as she rummaged in the top drawer of the cedar desk for her check book. She hoped whoever was on the other end of the line could be dealt with quickly. Tommy had shown up with the hay three hour ahead of schedule, she’d had the new horse come in…
A voice brought Cassidy out of her thoughts, “Ms. Treymane this is Sergeant Jay Cooper with the Drake County Sheriff’s Office.”
Cassidy stopped rummaging. She had known from the first couple of words that it was a cop on the other line. She’d had enough run-ins with the law to know the exact inflictions they placed on their words depending on the situation. His tone wasn’t accusing so she probably hadn’t done anything wrong that they had found about…yet. And Drake County was almost three hours away…
“How can I help you officer?” she asked stiffly.
“I’m calling on behalf of Child Protective Services regarding a case we were involved in last evening.”
“I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about officer. I don’t have any children or know anyone that does…”
“Are you familiar with the name Shannon Leeman?”
Cassidy frowned. “No.”
“Let me transfer to the Social Worker who’s handling this case.”
“But-“the officer had already gotten off the line. Cassidy returned to rooting around in her mess of a desk for the checkbook to pay Tommy. She tried to organize all of the things she had to do that day but her mind wouldn’t focus. She’d never heard of anyone named Shannon Leeman. Her older sister’s name was Shannon. But Cassidy hadn’t heard from her older sibling in almost seventeen years…
“Ms. Treymane? This is Doris Walker with Child Protective Services. I understand Sergeant Cooper has already explained the situation to you?”
“Uh…not exactly. I don’t know anyone named Shannon Leeman.”
“Oh, well you were named next of kin in the children’s school records.”
“What children?” Cassidy felt the beginning of headache forming in her temples.
“Adrian and Delany Leeman. Oh, yes, their mother’s maiden name was Treymane.”
The names were suddenly familiar to Cassidy. Adrian…her late, much loved Grandfather, and Delany…Shannon’s best friend since elementary school. And the last name; Eddie Leeman: the straw that broke the camel’s back and pushed Shannon and Cassidy apart permanently.
Cassidy made sure he voice wasn’t going to tremble, then spoke, “I-haven’t heard from my sister in seventeen years. I didn’t know she had kids or-that she got married.”
“I’m sorry about that, but there was no other family listed on the children’s records. If you aren’t prepared to take them in, they will be kept in state custody until another relative can be contacted or until we can locate a foster home for them.”
“Why are they in state custody in the first place? Has something happened to Shannon? Is she hurt?” Even though the siblings hadn’t talked in nearly two decades, Cassidy still cared if something happened to her.
“I’m sorry but I can’t release any information over the phone.”
“Are the children okay?” Cassidy noticed Tommy come to stand in the doorway and held her hand up to hold him at bay.
“Physically, yes. We haven’t done physiological evaluations because we don’t have consent from a guardian.”
Cassidy massaged her temples. So much for being dealt with quickly. “Is there any way I can come up and talk more in depth with you? I don’t want to take in these kids without knowing anything about them. Hell I don’t even know how old they are or why I’m taking them.”
“Let me take a look at my schedule for this afternoon.”
While Doris was silent, Cassidy located the checkbook and ripped a slip out for Tommy, mouthing a “thank you” as he left the office. Right as he left, one of her employees, Christian came in looking tousled.
“FYI the new one’s a hellion,” he said, wiping sweat from his brow. Cassidy silenced him as Doris began talking again.
“Does two o’clock suit you?” the social worker asked.
Cassidy looked at the clock. If she flew with her radar detector on she could make it. “I’ll be there.” She hung up without a goodbye and stood.
“You’ll have to hold down the fort Chris.”
“Boss you’ve got a new horse that’s ready to kill anybody who comes in the stall with him. I’m not sure why you wasted money on him in the first place.”
“I’ve got my reasons.”
“You’ve got a death wish? And where are you going anyway?”
“Not that it’s any of your damn business, but it’s a family problem.”
“What family? I didn’t think you had any.”
“Neither did I,” Cassidy said as she brushed past him and out of the office.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to try to drum up some interest for this story because I have it written already so its going up. And this gives me some kind of activity because I have writters block on my other story and all the other ones are at home waiting for me to pick them up at Thanksgiving and type them up. So yeah, comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stuff ;)