Behind the Mask

First Confession

Watching Miley dating countless boys and even reconciling with some of them made Lainey's head spin. Lying on the back of her pick-up truck with the teenage girl by her side, they stared into the night sky, twinkling with bright stars, parked on the outskirts of Los Angeles drinking her sorrows away.

Lainey gripped on the bottle when Miley tried to take another swig.

"Woah there cowgirl. Take it easy there; have ta bring ya back in one piece."

Miley scoffed, "Give it back!" Reaching for the bottle, "Why do all boys act the same way? They are all nice in the beginning and then suddenly they turn into complete asswipes when you don't give them what they want."

Lifting the bottle out of her reach, Lainey explained. "Maybe because you choose the exact type of men every time." Taking a small swig of her own, she listened to the mumbling of the conflicted teenager. Mostly everything she said went out one ear and out the other.

Until she heard the one question she didn't expect from Miley.

"How did you know you were gay? Did you look at a girl's ttis or vay jay jay and knew you were? Or did you experiment? What happened there?"

Lainey pursed her lips wondering if she should actually share that with her because answering those questions would lead to more personal ones.

In the course of the year and a half they have known each other, Miley was one of her most respectable friends. So she answered in a softer tone. "I knew I was gay since I was three or four. I knew I was different than everyone else and it wasn't natural for me to feel this way, so...I kept it to myself for a long time."

Miley moved her head towards the older girl, her crystal blue eyes absorbing every inch of Lainey's face. Observing the pain and sadness that was etched on her face. "When did you come out?"

"When I was seventeen." Lainey breathed out.

"What about your family? What did they think?"

And here's the million dollar question.

Lainey paused, tapping her fingers along her stocking knitted thigh while she turned her gaze to the starry sky. She sighed to recollect herself as the large puff of smoke exhaled from her lungs and out into the cold air, she muttered. "They thought I was mentally ill."

That was as far as she could share. Tears began to prick Lainey's eyes when she felt the comforting hand of Miley's laced with her own.

"I'm sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel better I love ya."

Lainey smiled softly, a small chuckle escaped her lips. "I know you do."