Sequel: All I Want
Status: Hope you like it Kat!

Only One

1/1

“Boys! Over here!"

“Smile boys!"

“Look right here!"

“Over here!"


It was yell after yell. Demand after demand. I just wanted to shoot my brains out. I had no clue how they did it; how they dealt with this every single day of their lives. I praised them for that. I truely did. 

Them being all the way in California away from me was hard, but this was an amazing experience for them. They were performing at the 2012 VMAs. They were up for multiple awards. I couldn't have been happier. My five best friends were living their dreams. I made them promise me two years ago that they would live their lives to the fullest and take every opportunity they were given. If they were given the opportunity to run naked through the white house, I wanted them to take it. Although that wouldn't have been a hard task for Harry to complete. 

Without them I wouldn't be where I am today. Without Liam I wouldn't where I am today. He took me in when I needed a place to stay. He gave me food to eat. He got me a job. He was my savior. He was my best friend, and he helped me when I needed it most. 

“And here's One Direction!" One of the guest announcers spoke at the VMAs. The crowd went wild as did I. My boys were finally performing on the VMA stage. 

I've tried playing it cool 
Girl when I'm looking at you 
I can never be brave 
Cause you make my heart race 

Shot me out of the sky 
You're my Kryptonite 
You keep making me weak 
Yeah, frozen and can't breathe 

Some things gotta give now 
Cause I'm dying just to make you see 
That I need you here with me now 
Cause you've got that one thing 

So get out, get out, get out of my head 
And fall into my arms instead 
I don't, I don't, don't know what it is 
But I need that one thing 
And you've got that one thing 

Now I'm climbing the walls 
But you don't notice at all 
That I'm going out of my mind--


I sang along and danced around in my seat all the while keeping my eyes glued to the tele. I wasn't going to miss this. I wasn't going to miss their performance. Not for the world.

Some things gotta give now 
Cause I'm dying just to know your name 
And I need you here with me now 
Cause you've got that one thing 

So get out, get out, get out of my head 
And fall into my arms instead 
I don't, I don't, don't know what it is 
But I need that one thing 
Yeah! you've got that one thing 
So get out get out get out of my mind 
And come on come into my life 
I don't I don't don't know what it is 
But I need that one thing 
And you've got that one thing 

oooohwuooooooh
oooohwuooooooh
oooohwuooooooh
oooohwuooooooh
Yeah! you've got that one thing 

Get out, get out, get out of my head 
And fall into my arms instead 

So get out, get out, get out of my head 
And fall into my arms instead 
I don't, I don't, don't know what it is 
But I need that one thing 
So get out get out get out of my mind 
And come on come into my life 
I don't I don't don't know what it is 
But I need that one thing 
And you've got that one thing.


“Woot woot! Go boys!" I shouted doing a little happy dance. My happy dance happened to he Harry's sprinkler moves; the one where you put a hand to your head and the one where you put your head down and basically flail your arms around. “Show Justin Beaver how it's done!"

+++

Why? Why is someone calling me at this ungodly hour? It's two in the morning for Christ sakes! A woman needs her beauty sleep. Not because it makes her beautiful, but because if saves others from the rath of bitchiness. All men should be programmed to know this information. It should be instilled in them at a young age. Better yet, everyone should know that information.

“'lo?" I answered groggily. I mumbled so much that my hello came out as lo. Glad I only sound like this when I wake up.

“Kathleen! Babe, did you see us?! Did you see us perform and win the awards?!" Liam shouted. I put the phone on speaker and laid it on the pillow beside my head as he continued to ramble. “I was so nervous. So were the other lads too. Harry had a fangirl moment when we won one of the awards. It was quite funny. Now it's all over the internet. I have never felt so happy in my entire life then I am tonight." 

I grinned sleepily. He sounded so happy. “I did, and I'm very proud of you and the boys. I know, I saw the gifs and pictures all over Tumblr. He looked worse then your fans."

“OI! I did not!" Harry shouted in the background. Next came Niall's Irish accented voice. “You did too mate. There's no denying it."

“HI KITKAT!"
Louis screamed over Niall and Harry's bickering. Oh Lou. Why are you always so loud at the worst times possible? 

“Hey Lou. Hey Zaynie-poo," I greeted. I heard Zayn's chuckle and I can just picture him shaking his head. We were best friends, we called ourselves girlfriends, so we had ridiculous nicknames for each other. 

“Hey Katniss. What's goin' on with you? Did you see how amazing I looked on camera?"

Only he would ask that. With a roll of my eyes I said, “You looked awful. They say the camera adds ten pounds...well for you it added twenty. Your face looked a little fat and your hair looked flat too. Not enough girly hair products in it." 

The boys could be heard ‘oh-ing' in the background making me giggle. Niall yelled burn at the top of his lungs. He sounded like Kelso off of That 70's Show. 

“Yeah well, you're opinion is irrelevant because fuck you."

“Fuck you too--" I cut myself off with a big yawn. That made the boys quiet down. If I had known that would work I would have done it sooner. Liam being Daddy Direction, he spoke up. “Did we wake you up? I'm sorry babe."

When he called me babe it made my insides go crazy. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach. My heart raced. My mind went a mile a minute. My breathing sped up. I know I shouldn't feel this way about him since he's my best friend, but I can't help it. Someone once told me, "Love is when there are a million things you want to say to someone, but when they look you in the eyes and hold you in their arms nothing in life matters other than being with that person at that moment." I wished Liam would open his eyes and notice that. 

“Yeah, but it's fine Lee," I mumbled. “I wouldn't miss talking to you guys for the world." 

“Go to sleep babe. Bye, I love you," he spoke softly. I knew he didn't mean it the way I did, but it still made me feel all fuzzy inside. “Love you too Liam. Bye." If only he knew what kind of love I meant. 

We hung up and I just stared at my lit up phone screen. It was a picture of me and Liam last summer in Wolverhampton. We had went up there to see our families for a week and had ended up being made to share a bed at my house. My younger sister hijacked my phone and took a picture of us sleeping and all cuddled up together in my bed and made it the background on my phone. I hadn't changed it since then. I hadn't even thought about changing it.

“Why can't you see what's right in front of you?"

+++

Liam

“Hey Harry, do you have any Ibuprofen or Asprin?" I asked, rubbing my temples. When I didn't get an answer I looked over at him. He was sitting in the chair in our hotel suite living room on his laptop with a shocked face. "Harry? 'ello? Anyone in there?" 

“Huh, yeah, whatever," he mumbled, not taking his eyes off of the screen. Niall and Zayn were playing their Nintendo 3Ds' while Louis was on his phone with Eleanor in his room. 

I rolled my eyes and made my way into the kitchen in search of Ibuprofen. I found a bottle of it in the kitchen and popped three in my mouth, chasing them down with a gulp of water. As I walked back in the living room I heard the boys talking about something. The only thing I got out of their hushed whispers were Kat, Liam, upset, and secret. 

“Don't tell Liam," Louis whispered. 

“Don't tell Liam what?" I questioned. They all jumped at the sound of my voice. Harry almost dropped his laptop in the process. When they didn't answer I asked again. “Don't tell Liam what?"

They all shared a look before Harry handed over the thin silver laptop. I sat down and looked at what was on the screen. The title and picture confused me. It was a gossip website I knew that, but what did it have to do with us?

One Direction infection no more?

Miss Kathleen Parker, aka the girl who's been mooching off of 1D for the last two years, was recently caught breaking the rules in a library. With her new boy toy? We're assuming that's what the nameless bloke is to her. 

Image

Kat, honey, a book isn't going to hide your identity from us. You should know this by now! We know all. We see all. We hear all. Remember your drunken pictures from your birthday last year? I'm sure everyone remembers that! How could they not? You were practically throwing yourself at your best mates band mate, Zayn Malik. 

We did a little research and found a new picture on her Tumblr. Now we all know she isn't into Twitter or Facebook, but we happen to have a few people who wish to stay anonymous that know what her Tumblr is. They informed us of it and we had a hay day with it. It's like going through her knickers drawer!

Image

She's def got a new boy toy. Directioners, no need to worry, she's no longer after the boys. They're all yours! Kat and her mystery man can snog in the sunset all they want. 

We wish you the best of luck lovebirds!


She has a boyfriend? Since when? And why didn't she tell me? I'm her best mate. We've known each other since the diaper days. We've always told each other everything. She knew me like the back of her hand and I knew her like the back of my hand. 

Without saying anything I placed the laptop on the empty spot beside me and went to my room. I locked the door and then went into the bathroom where I shut and locked the door also. The boys were nosy, so I didn't want them to listen in on my conversation I was about to have with Kat. She picked up on the third ring. 

“Leeyum! I'm so happy you called! I need to--" I cut her off.

“Why didn't you tell me?" 

“Tell you what Lee?" She's playing dumb. 

“About your new boyfriend," I said, practically growling the word boyfriend. She sucked in a deep breath as I sat on the edge of the tub. 

“I was going to but you cut me off. I want you to meet him when you get home. He's really sweet and polite. His name is Lane." She continued to gush about him but I just tuned her out. 

I didn't want to hear about this Lane kid. I didn't want to hear anything about him. He would never be good enough for her. After the luck she's had with men....I'd never be okay with her dating again. I had to protect her, make sure she was okay. First her dad screwed her over and then every boyfriend she's had has screwed her over. She always went for the wrong guys. Like a typical woman, she went for the bad boy type. The ones who rebelled against society. 

I finally cracked when she was still gushing about him. “I don't want to meet him Kathleen. I don't want to have anything to do with him. You would think you'd learn your lesson after so many of your other ‘boyfriends' screwed you over. You're stupid for ever believing he's sweet and polite to begin with. I saw the pictures on the internet, he looks like an A1 douchebag. Pretty soon he'll do something like the prick he is and you'll come crying to me, and I'm sick of you coming and crying to me. It gets old."

She was silent on the other end. I waited patiently for her to say something and when she did I instantly regretted what I had just said. 

“I hate you Liam Payne. Don't ever call me or anything else. I'm done being your friend and I never want to see you again," she said, then hung up. 

I messed up. I messed up big time.

+++

Kathleen

I hadn't spoken to Liam in a few days. With the money I had saved up I rented myself a flat on the other side of town. It was already furnished seeing as I didn't have quite enough money to buy all new furniture. The car Liam bought me was sitting in the same parking spot of his flats parking garage as it always was, right beside his Audi. Everything he ever gave me was left at his flat. All the small little trinkets, necklaces, coffee cups, stuff like that, was in a box on my old bed. 

I hadn't told him or the boys I was moving out. The others had been texting and calling, but I kept the calls short not wanting to hear about how sorry Liam was. If they brought him up in our texts I ignored what they said and changed the subject completely. I'm shocked that the paparazzi didn't catch me moving out and put the pictures all over every magazine cover and gossip website. Now that I say that they'll be on there later today. Way to jinx yourself Kathleen. 

Double yellow lines 
Let me tempt your tongue with a few pulled chords 
And some good used lungs, 
Yeah I like that--
 

“'ello?" I answered my cell phone. I was sitting on the couch with Lane getting ready to watch Horrible Bosses. 

“Kathleen?! Where are you? Why aren't you here? Why is all your stuff gone? I--" 

I hung up and turned my phone on silent. Lane wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his side, dipping his head down to kiss the corner of my mouth. “Who was that baby?" He asked.  

“A telemarketer," I replied. “One of these days I'm gonna start trying to sell them stuff and see how they like it."

He chuckled, his chest vibrating against my back making me grin. “Only you would do that."

“Hey, I'm a pretty good salesman. I sold two hundred boxes of cookies when I was younger by pretending to have two broken legs and a broken neck. I'm a good liar." 

He smirked down at me. “Are you serious? My sweet little innocent Kathleen did something so awful?"

I whacked him on the chest and stuck my tongue out at him. He nipped at it making me giggle and put it back in my mouth. We both turned our attention back to the tele as the movie started. My phone lit up with Liam's name on the screen. When I didn't answer he kept calling back. Getting tired of the screen catching my eye, I turned it off and leaned back, resting my head on Lane's shoulder. 

I just want to enjoy my time with Lane and forget I even know him. 

+++

“Kat, please answer your phone. I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean any of it. Just....please call me back."

“Kitkat, it's Louis. Liam's really worried about you. He's driving us mental over here. Instead of you admitting me to an insane asylum, I'll admit myself! That's how mental he's making me!"

“Babe, I'm sorry. Please just talk to me. Love you."

“Katniss, it's Zayn, Harry, and Niall. We're saying this out of the kindness of our hearts; quit being a dumbass and call Liam. We know you love him as more then a best mate and we have since we met you. He loves you too, and if you would just talk to him you could work it out and be together."

“I'm sorry Kathleen."
 

How did they know? I never told anyone how I felt about Liam. Not even my mum, and we were close. I didn't want to ruin our friendship by saying I was in love with him. I've seen it happen to other people and it's something I don't want to experience. I'd lose my best friend, the person I've grown up with, the person who watched out for me. 

“You need to tell him Kat," my best mate Hayley spoke. I looked over at her with furrowed brows. “Tell who what?"

She rolled her bright hazel eyes. “Tell Liam that you love him. You need to quit using Lane to fill the void and just buck up and tell him."

“I can't." I shook my head. “What if he doesn't love me back?"

Before she could say anything a frantic knocking came from the front door of my flat. As she turned to walk away I saw an evil grin on her face, but chose to ignore it. I made my way to the door and opened it, coming face to face with Liam. Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I tried to shut the door but his hand stopped it.

“Before you slam the door in my face just listen to me," he started. His voice made little chills go up and down my spine. “What I said to you wasn't right, and I know that now. I was just angry and jealous. I didn't want you to get hurt again, I didn't want another guy to be able to hold you and snog you like that when I couldn't. W--"

I started to cut him off but he kept talking. “What I'm trying to say, is that I love you. I love you with all my heart Kathleen." 

I just stared up at him in shock. Did he just say what I think he just said? Holy crap on a cracker! Instead of saying anything back I grabbed the back of his neck and crashed my lips to his. God were they soft and smooth. Our lips moved in sync for a few seconds before his tongue pushed it's way in my mouth. His hands gripped my hips, pulling my body flush against his. Our tongues fought for dominance for a little while before he won, and we pulled away for air. He rested his forehead on mine and stared into my eyes with a dopey grin on his face. I'm sure my grin looked much the same.

“I love you too Liam," I whispered. “You're the only one I've ever loved."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it Kat! :D