I Know Those Eyes

Chapter Three

Sarah's POV

A bell rang through the store. I looked up from the magazine I was reading to see my friend Marisa come through the door.

“Sarah!” she yelped, enveloping me in a bone crushing hug as soon as I came out from behind the counter.

“Hey, Marisa,” I said. I hugged back until my arms were sore. “I haven’t seen you since...well, yesterday.”

She grinned and nodded. At that moment, Jess came out from the back room.
“Hey, sis!” Jess grinned. Jess and Marisa were twins. They had the same light brown hair and honey colored eyes. Marisa jumped into her sister’s arms.

“I’ve missed you,” she said, smiling.

“I’ve missed you too. One day apart is one too many,” Jess said sarcastically.

“Uh huh!” Marisa jumped out of Jess’s arms to come over to the counter, where I had taken my rightful place back at the register. “So, is the Paramore record out now? I want it.”

“Yup,” I said grinning. “A lot of people want that record. You’re the second person today to get it,” I said as I handed it to her.

“Can I have a discount? Since I’m related AND I’m friends with both of the people working here?” She looked with her honey colored eyes right into my dark brown ones.

“No, sorry,” Jess said. “If you got a job here, then maybe-”

“I’ll take it!” Marisa said quickly.

“Well, we can’t hire you. Talk to the owner about it,” I said. “But for now, you’re going to have to just pay for the damn CD.”

Marisa grumbled something under her breath while reaching into her pocket for some money. She pulled out a crumpled twenty and threw it onto the counter.

“There goes my lunch money,” she mumbled under her breath.

“Aw, poor Marisa,” I cooed. I handed her her change, and she took the CD.

“This CD better be good!” she shouted to us from the door. She abruptly left the store, jogging across the street to her car.

“Well, that was odd,” I said to Jess. She nodded. “I’m running to the bathroom really quick,” I said to her.

“Okay, have fun!” She called after me. I ignored her and walked to the back of the store, where the bathroom marked “Employees Only” stood next to the row of posters for sale.

Jon’s POV

“Hey, Brendon, want to go to the record store that I was talking about? It’s right up here,” I said to him. We had just gotten our coffees, Brendon with his first, and mine with a second in hand.

“Sure,” he said. “Nothing better to do anyway.” I laughed and walked up to the store. As I opened the door, a bell went throughout the store.

“Why hello again,” The woman behind the counter said with a smile. She had light brown hair. I recognized her from when I had come in earlier.

“Hello. This is my friend, Brendon,” I said. After I said that I realized that they didn’t even know my own name. “I’m Jon,” I added.

“Nice to see you guys. Just look around, if you have any questions, holler.” She then went back to her magazine.

“‘Kay, thanks,” Brendon said. He waltzed over to a rack of CDs and began looking through them. “This any good?” he called out to the woman behind the counter, holding up the first Panic at the Disco CD with the most reasonable face he could manage.

“Yeah, pretty damn good if you ask me. I think they’re playing here tonight, right?” The woman behind the counter looked up at him, curious.

“Yep. We have tickets from a friend, and I was just wondering if I should go or not,” Brendon said, flashing a quick wink over to me. I rolled my eyes at his stupidity and began looking through CDs, while still listening to the conversation.

“You do? Lucky, I hear they’re pretty good live,” the woman said. She sighed and glanced back down at her magazine.

“Do you want the tickets?” I heard Brendon ask.

Sarah’s POV

“Do you want the tickets?” I walked out of the bathroom to see two men in the store. I recognized one as the man who had come in earlier; the other I couldn’t see, since he was facing the other direction. He was also the one talking.

“Wait, really?” I saw Jess’s face light up. She noticed me standing at the back of the store. “Um...Sarah, would you want to see Panic at the Disco tonight? These guys have tickets that they’re willing to spare,” she said uncertainly. I could feel both men’s eyes boring into me. I wasn’t looking at them, though. I was looking down at my shoes.

“You can go if you want…” I said. My stomach churned. “I think...I think I feel a bit sick.” I grabbed at my stomach and ran back into the bathroom and closed the door, sliding to the ground against it. There were tears in my eyes.

What should I do? Should I go and see him tonight, which would just break my heart even more? I sighed. Jess could go without me; I don’t think I could manage something like that right now.

Seeing him would bring too much back.