Status: Active

The Great Hendowski

Four.

"Hello again! And I've owned a few... Why?"
I stared at the glowing screen, regret forming in the pit of my stomach. I was an amateur, not even waiting a day to begin another conversation with this man. I instantly thought of him grabbing Alan, slapping his back, pushing his friend's head to look at his cell, "see dude? She couldn't even wait until tomorrow to talk to me."
I guess I couldn't. I chose not to reply, but sent a message to my brother instead, doubtful that he was still awake. I looked at the clock on my television, and it was reaching midnight faster than I anticipated. I searched for a box in my closet, big enough to support a bunch of little critters, and then headed up to Madison's place.

Five of them. All green eyed, shabby, assorted colors. Well, mostly. I quickly brought them inside, setting them down gently onto my living room floor. Five, fuzzy heads popped up, mewing and googly eyed in my direction. Now what was I going to do? Give these darling things away? Such a bad idea to take them, bad, bad idea.
"Whatever you plan on doing, it's still best to get rid of them." Tyler was texting me back with his charming brotherly advice. Would I ever tell him he had always given me the greatest advice in any situation I've asked him about? No. But it was so true, and I could admit that. What I didn't like to admit, was that I never took his advice, mostly because what I thought, was right. What he told me, was the opposite of what I thought, making me wrong. And being wrong was the opposite of a happy Zoey.
"You should come see them! They're so cute." I sent, then sat in a pretzel across from the tiny kittens. It must have been hard for Sabrina to see them being taken away, but then again, not like she remembered much about giving birth to 'em.
Buzz. "Humane Society in the morning, right? Come in late if you need to. G'night."
I rolled my eyes, and gave up, since he did too. It wasn't a bad idea... Maybe I'd keep one, and not tell anybody. He'd be my first pet. My cat. I wouldn't be so lonely here anymore.

"Table six, needs a refill on drinks. Two Cokes," Alice mumbled, whooshing past me, carrying an empty tray. It didn't escape my mind that the only thing Tyler kept me here for, was to refill sodas. I found myself carrying more drinks than trays all week. But why would I complain to my brother when I was still receiving an adequate amount of tips?
I heard the familiar tang of the bell above the front door, and while filling up both glasses of Coke, took a glance at who entered.
It was Tino, looking sober and confident as he walked in, phone in hand. He met my eyes and we silently acknowledged each other.
I dropped off the sodas at table six, and made my way over to the bar, where he comfortably sat in the same spot as last night. So comfortable, he looked like he lived there.
"Hi again, kid."
"Kid?" I questioned, resting my elbows on the booth. "I may look a little young, but you and I are probably around the same age."
"Doubt it. Twenty seven?"
"Ah, close. Twenty five," I said, and pointed to my heart.
"Kid," he winked and set his phone down in between us. I snorted and took out my pad and pencil, awaiting his order.
"Oh, nope." He eyed the paper. "Not ordering today. Just wanted to come in and get the scoop on you."
My hands dropped. "Me? What do you mean?"
"You know, what you like, what you don't like. If you're coming with us to one of our shows, we should make sure you're not a hidden stalker or something," he teased.
"I never said I was going to the show with you guys."
"Oh," he scratched the prickles on his chin, puzzled. "I guess Austin assumed you were."
I bit my lip at his name.
Tino stretched, yawning with the process.
We shared an awkward silence, until I said, "you know, I should be asking about you. Coming in here alone... wondering who I am... that feels a little stalkerish to me."
Of course I was joking, my intuition told me they were all right, but Tino's eyes widened at my words.
"No, no, I swear it's not like that. Now I realize how weird this--"
I swiftly held up my hand, cutting him off. "Tino, relax. I was joking around."
He noticed my smile, and lost his tense figure. "You've got an okay sense of humor. Noted. Now what else?"
"Hmm," I began, thinking of my basic skills and attributes.
I felt a tug at my elbow, and was face to face with my brother, who looked equal parts annoyed and drained.
"Excuse me, sir," he nodded to Tino, who politely waved him off, indicating that it was okay for my brother to practically crush my funny bone. He pulled me over to the side, releasing me. "Are you taking orders from customers or starting conversations?"
"Er, both?" I admitted.
"It's fast today, and it's only you and Alice."
"I thought you hired more people?"
"Not yet," Tyler snapped, and I cringed. "Finish what you're doing here, because I've got trays for you, in there." He pointed his stubby finger towards the kitchen, and marched off.
"Sorry," Tino said as I came back over, looking a bit struck.
"For what?"
"I think I got you in trouble with your boss."
"Yeah, well, he's only my brother."
"Your brother is your boss? Dude, now I'm really sorry," he snorted. I shrugged, trying to make it out like it wasn't a big deal, but it kind of was. I'd been so lazy lately, would Tyler suddenly be aware of this and fire his youngest sister? I bet he already knew. It wasn't like I was trying to hide it... and that was not good.
"You've gotta go, Tino, if you're not ordering anything. Here's some random things about me. I prefer hot over cold, I love the Ocean and baking, afraid of heights, natural disasters, and family reunions. Favorite food is smoothies, and my favorite film is Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. I'm also a proud owner of my first cat, since last night. I don't know what you'll do with that information, but have fun."
"Cat? Huh. Austin mentioned something about you and a cat last night. Congratulations," he said as he was walking backwards towards the front door. My face burned, I knew he'd tell somebody. "And I don't think I'll remember everything you just told me, but I know someone who'll be glad to know what your favorite movie is."
He grinned, waved, and hustled out, leaving me to watch a gray blob speed it's way down the sidewalk.
My curiosity marked it's territory in my brain, trying to come up with who he'd tell. Was it someone I knew or not? Judging by Tino's sudden playfulness as he left, it had to be someone I knew. But it didn't matter, I let the thought leave as quickly as it came, because I reminded myself dating was off limits.
I walked into the kitchen, stood in front of Stan's dishes, and threw down my pad of paper onto the steel. Who cared about that rule anyway? It was only hurting me, and no one else.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, thank you for taking the time to read~