Status: Active

The Great Hendowski

Nine.

I hesitated when I heard him, but I didn't bother looking back. I got the hint that Austin was not too great with the ladies, that, or he just didn't know how to deal with women in general. If this didn't make the "no dating" thing any clearer... Sure, I felt bad for the guy, but if it bothered him that badly, then why not cut in?
"Jesus." I snorted as I sat down next to Shay after grabbing a Coke, who was bobbing his head slightly to the music overhead. Alan, on the other hand, was practically passed out opposite me. "Austin is being a baby."
"Yeah, what else is new?" Shayley laughed. "What happened?"
I whispered, "he was mad I was dancing with Alan. This kid won't even remember a thing tomorrow." I nodded towards the redhead.
"I wouldn't worry about it. He just gets really possessive over certain things," he replied, a slight slur in his voice.
"Like women? That's not a good thing," I said as I leaned my head back against the seat, taking a deep breath. Shay shifted towards me, looking concerned.
"I don't mean it like he's crazy. Things went wrong in the past. When he's sure of something now, it's all in or nothing at all."
"I guess experience can do that to some people," I frowned, taking a sip and feeling the burn sting my eyes. Ah, nothing like the refreshing taste of syrup-y Coca Cola. "Which is why dating is so hard for me."
He shrugged, finishing the rest of his bottle. "Don't shut down so soon. Something might happen and make you change your mind." Shay grinned and nudged me to let him out of the booth. I got up slowly, wondering why he was leaving, when I looked over and saw Austin paying the tab. "Time to go."
As soon as we walked out, with Alan hanging off of Austin's arm, we saw Phil and Tino hanging out with some girls a few steps down.
"Hey my bros, we are leaving!" Shay sang, wiggling his fingers like come hither. I smiled, thinking of Shayley as our mediator. I was farthest away from Austin when one of the girls came up to him, completely surprised.
"Austin, is that you? Oh my god, it's been forever." She flipped her hair, and leaned herself against the vacant side of him. Jeez, how much more weight could he endure? Shay left us and walked over to the other two, who were still talking to this chick's friend, I assumed.
"Yeah," Austin cleared his throat, "it's been a while for sure. How you been?"
I stood there awkwardly while they reminisced, playing with the bottom of my awesome Christmas sweater. Slightly irritated, I wondered how much impact this girl had on Austin's life.
"That hotel back in Chicago..."
"...That midnight ride through the New England snowstorm..."
"...How about seeing The Dark Knight when everybody had the flu..." They laughed over and over, going through each memory as if they had never experienced harsh times. Austin blushed while trying to steady Alan's left half on his shoulder.
Instead of making myself invisible and casually walking over to the other guys, my mouth decided to work on it's own and interrupt them.
"Hi, I'm Zoey," it said, and I suddenly cursed my existence. She stopped mid sentence and both of them turned towards me. Austin struggled to stand up straight, and it was just silly to watch. "And I think Austin can hardly stand with you leaning against him like that."
"Ha," she smirked, pushing even more of herself against his tall frame. "I'm Maggie, and I don't really give a shit. I've pushed more on him than just this side of my body."
And that's when I knew. Oh... She was one of those girls. Groupie was the first word that came to mind. Unless it was a former relationship, which in Austin's case, I hoped not.
"That's your business," I said, crossing my arms in defiance. "Just telling it like I see it."
"Great. Feel free to leave us alone anytime." She sneered, and then took one hard look at my outfit before surrounding the nighttime air with fits of laughter. Little did she know, I had been getting those reactions since we got here. It was kind of the point.
"Hey, all right," Austin rolled his eyes, trying to get Maggie to calm down.
"What the fuck is that?" She leaned on her knees, pointing over at me. "You guys leaving so you can put grandma to bed?"
"I like the fucking sweater," he said in his rough voice, and she suddenly stopped her antics. I felt my face heat up as Shay, Tino, Phil and the other woman turned in our direction. She glowered at me, and then at him.
"Oh I see. You've got a new play thing."
"Maggie, it's not like that."
"No?" She smiled, sickly sweet, showing a row of perfectly straight teeth. "So quick to defend someone so pathetic."
"I'm all set with this," I shook my head, shoving past them, which stirred Alan, and made my way over to Austin's car.
"Bye, bye Zoey!" I could hear her yelling sarcastically behind me. "I'm sure we'll meet again soon!"
I clenched my teeth, my arms crossed so tightly, it was starting to strain the crease in my elbows. I was not one for confrontation. Especially with women who were still head over heels for a man. They fought on a whole other level, and it was always personal. I just wanted to see Peachy, and finally get some sleep.
I heard footsteps behind me and then Tino's welcoming voice. "You all right?"
I nodded, pulling a loose string out from the sleeve. "That was absolutely embarrassing."
He walked around me so we were face to face. "Listen, I'm pretty wasted right now, but," he put his hands on my shoulders and I smiled, "I think you've won a place with the guys. You're just a real funny lady."
"Thanks Tino." I sighed, tripping a bit over myself as exhaustion began to settle in. "Can I go home and sleep now?"
"Austin!" He screamed, head back and looking like a ferocious lion. I face palmed. Thanks again Tino, for waking up the whole neighborhood.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi i'm alive it's been a while, but i'm trying to get back into these things. i really want to start an oliver sykes story.......