Just Close Your Eyes

Losing My Mind

Christian?

Where did you go?


She swallowed another pill, praying she'd see him soon. She waited.

And waited.

A sob rose from her chest and she snatched the bottle of pills and swallowed more.

And more.

And more.

The darkness pressed heavily against her temples and her eyes shut for a moment.

Christian.

Save me.


Bile burned the back of her throat and she cried out as she vomited over the edge of the boat.

There were small waves rocking her, almost lulling her back to sleep. Almost.

Someone was screaming for her to stop and she fought to ignore it. She needed him. Where was he?

Someone gripped her hand tightly as she cried.

"Stop!" She snatched her hand back and arms wrapped around her. "NO!" She screamed.

"Snap out of it!" A crack knocked her out of her hysterics and her eyes flew open as her cheek started stinging.

"What? Wh-where am I?" She whispered as her eyes scanned her surroundings. She was in a dark room. The curtains were drawn and it was clearly nighttime, she realized. The stars waved at her teasingly and she took a deep, shaky breath.

She had a nightmare.

And she didn't get to see him.

She started crying. She couldn't breathe. She was so damn close.

"Let me die." She whispered, her voice barely audible. A short barking laugh made her freeze.

"What the hell is wrong with you, lady? Did you escape the loony bin?" Her eyes flew to a face that stopped her racing heart.

Christian.

The man looked just like him. Right down to the dark curls and the baby blue eyes. They twinkled at her the same way his had. He was sitting on the edge of the unfamiliar bed, a little crease between his brows.

"Christian?" She reached for him and cupped his face in her hands. "Is it you?" He frowned slightly.

"Who's Christian?"

Her hands fell as she recognized the differences between them. This man had flecks of green and silver and black in his eyes whereas Christian's had been a pure, clean light blue. Her stomach turned and she swallowed back the wave of nausea that nearly overtook her.

"N-no one." She whispered, closing her emerald eyes.

"Doesn't seem like he's no one." The bed shifted slightly and she opened her eyes as he cupped her cheek in one hand. She forced herself to stay still and not lean into his hand. His palm was warm, and only a bit callused. He must not do too much hard work. Nonetheless, he gave off an aura of power. She shivered. "Are you alright?"

"I...I should be..." Her voice was softer and she met his gaze again. There was doubt in his eyes and she watched them darken as she started to lift her hand to his.

"Who are you?" He said, his voice sounding almost hesitant. "I feel like I should know you."

"Annie. I'm Annie." She held his hand as it rested against her cheek. "Where am I?" He swallowed.

"My house." Her eyes widened.

"Why?" She asked in a small voice.

"You were lying in a gutter. You were hallucinating or something. I probably should have just taken you to the hospital. But I didn't know what drugs you were doing, and if you would have ended up in jail, I'd have it on my conscience." She was frowning before he finished his sentence. "What?"

"I'm not on drugs. I've never gone anywhere near them." She retorted, pulling his hand away.

"Then what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Excuse me? What's wrong with me? You're the one who took a stranger into your home. You don't know me. I don't know you. Who knows what you could do to me?" He rolled his eyes.

"I'm not in the business of molesting thirteen year old girls." He said smugly.

"Thirteen?! You're hardly older than I am!" She hissed.

"You sure about that? You look a little, underdeveloped." He smirked. She moved past him. As soon as her feet touched the floor, the world tipped her over.

"Dammit." She whispered as his arms wrapped around her and set her back on the bed.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" He demanded.

"Home. I can't stay in a stranger's house."

"You're staying until I know you're alright." His voice was soft.

"I won't ever be alright." She spat.

"You can sleep in here. The door locks from the inside." His voice was stiff.

"And what about you?"

"I've got a couch." He said, shrugging. She hesitated.

"Thank you..." He nodded.

"Yeah." He looked out the window, frowning. "Is there a reason you have someone following you?" The color drained from her face.

"What?" She sat up, her heartbeat picking up speed again.

"There's been someone following you. He seems pretty persistent." He shut the curtains with one last dark look.

"I'm sorry..." She whispered, covering her face as the tears started again.

"Who is it?"

"I don't know. I don't know." She whimpered softly and he sighed. He pulled her to his chest and she let herself lean into him. She felt safe, if only a little.

"How long?" He said, his hand rubbing her back in small, soothing circles. She shook her head, crying into the soft fabric of his t-shirt. "Try to sleep, Annie." Her heart leaped and she almost smiled. She didn't know why, but something about him made her calm the instant he said her name. Not even Christian-

No. Don't think about Christian. Christian isn't here.

"What's your name?" She whispered, as he settled her back onto the pillows. He stroked her hair for a moment and stood.

"Nixon." He shot her a small smile and walked out, closing the door behind him.

"Nixon." She whispered, testing the way it fell off of her tongue.

She liked it.

It was interesting.

She curled up beneath the covers, wondering why the pills hadn't killed her.

Maybe it was due to her guardian angel?

She laughed quietly.

Bullshit.

There were no guardians for the worthless.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi there. :b

This is something I wrote a long time ago and I've decided to pick it back up again.

I'm not sure where this is going, and I'm not sure how it will end.

So I suppose we're all in for a surprise.

Comments are greatly appreciated.