Status: *in progress*

There is Something...

*10*

The day of the departure. Tough morning for the people who are leaving their houses for a trip. Mary-Ann was woken up by her alarm clock beeping and telephone ringing at the same time. She flapped away with her hand the devil’s clock without looking at it which hit the floor with a clang and silenced. She took her phone and pressed the answering button.

“WAKE UP, ALREADY!” Alice screamed in Mary’s ear. And she threw her phone into the wall. She frowned and wiped her hands over her face. It broke into pieces.

In a matter of seconds Mary-Ann realized what was happening and bolted into the shower. She washed quickly, got dressed and managed to apply a decent make-up. She pulled that off in 10 minutes. When she walked out of the shower she saw a figure on her undid couch.

“Hello, Ann.” Rob beamed from the soft and warm pillow. He looked at her with one of his eyes from under his arm and then he waved her to come and sit.

“He is so tall!” She bit her lip and smiled at him. “Yeah, like that’s gonna ever happen..” she rolled her eyes. “I can see that you are very comfortable with entering my room whenever you please.” She walked to the wardrobe and looked through her stuff.

“Oh, come on. And give Robby a hug,” he pouted and Mary laughed.

“You are such a kid!” she turned to him and spread her hands inviting him.

“No hugs or we’ll go without you,” Alice said from the doorway where she was standing with her arms crossed. And a second later Chris appeared behind her.

“Free hugs?” he asked, “I want one too.”

“What’s going on?” Rory shouted behind Chris and jumped several times to see what was so interesting in the room. “Why is Rob on the couch?”

“Guys, can I pack?” Mary looked at the audience in front of her with pleading eyes. “Please?”

“Alright! Everyone out!” Alice raised her voice and motioned her hand towards the door. “Ok, sweetie,” she continued when the boys left the room grunting, “I’ll be waiting for you in the living room. Tea?”

Mary nodded, “Yes, please.”

She waited till the door was shut and sighed. She looked at her bag and her gaze shifted to the wardrobe. She mentally counted the things she wanted to take with her. Then she decided to look through her things for the millionths time.

Satisfied Mary zipped the bag and checked her phone. There were messages from her parents wishing her a pleasant journey and about 10 texts from Johnny asking her to steal something from the band members. And a few messages adding “Something valuable”. The girl snorted at that and never answered her friend about those ridiculous requests.

Mary-Ann stepped out of her room and when she closed the door behind her she knew that this would be no ordinary trip. She braced herself and went to Alice waiting in the kitchen. She was nervously tapping her fingers on the table.

“Is something wrong?” Mary asked sipping her morning tea.

Alice looked at her friend and shook her head still looking into nowhere. Mary tilted her head to the side and stared at the black-haired girl in curiosity. “I don’t believe you,” she added.

“Why don’t we go? Everybody’s waiting only for us. And I’ve got you a sandwich.” Alice shook a plastic bag before Mary-Ann’s nose and headed to the door. Mary shrugged and followed her leaving the cup on the kitchen counter.

“Beware of Rob,” Alice suggested darkly closing the door and checking the windows from the outside. Mary did give it much thought and made her way to the van. Outside of it were standing Rou and Rory, when they spotted Mary-Ann they smiled and waved her to hurry. She hoped in the van and found herself beside Chris.

“Hey,” he said and closed his eyes. You could tell that it was too early for him to wake up. Mary glanced at Rob behind her who was sleeping with his arms crossed and his head resting on the window.

Alice got in the van and closed the door, “We are ready,” she announced to Rory and Rou in the front seats. They both nodded and Rou started the engine and in a minute they were going to the beach house.

“How far is it?” Mary asked Alice.

“A couple of hours. But it’s worth it.” She answered looking out of the window.

For about a half hour the ride was silent except for the hum of the engine and some snoring of the sleeping boys. Mary-Ann decided that she will catch on her sleep when they arrive at the destination and devoted the spare time in the van to sightseeing. But when they rolled out of the town it was mostly trees and occasional rivers and countryside houses. Nevertheless she admired the view and felt really peaceful in a long time. Eventually she drifted into thoughts about her future: job, family, a place to live…

“WHAT A…?!” she cried and tried to get off the thing slowly crawling on her back. Immediately the van became a laughing carriage. Even Rou behind the wheel knew what was happening and tried his best not to cry because of laughter. And Ann managed to wake Chris from his slumber, who looked very disappointed at the moment.

“Stop wiggling so fast! You’ll squish him!” Rob cried and took the cause of the havoc away from bouncing Mary.

Mary-Ann turned to Rob and asked him with a shaky voice, “What was that?” and then her eye twitched a few times.

“Oh, we didn’t mean to scare you. He was just introducing himself,” Rob raised in his hands a small chameleon. Mary relaxed. “Say HI to Rupert!” he beamed.

She looked at him and held her hand to take Rupert. He was soft and warm. As soon as he touched Mary’s hand with his leg he started to change his colour from the dark grey to light beige. “Wow, Rob you don’t seem as a soft type.” She smiled to herself still looking at Rupert.

“Should I be offended?” Rob asked Alice and she just made a light shrug with her shoulders.

“Who is up for a warm tea?” Rou shouted from his seat glancing at the rearview mirror. “There is a nice coffee house in a couple of miles.”

“ME!” Chris growled out. He noticed Alice staring at him and flashed her a perfect white teeth smile. “Morning.”

“Morning,” she replied shyly and bit her lip.

“Ah!” Mary looked at them, “That was what you warned me about!” she nudged Alice in the shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
10th chapter. Hurrah!
Comment! I encourage you! More comments, more subscribers = faster updates. Yep, that simple;)